Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why is Ireland lagging behind the world in cannabis legalisation / decriminalisation?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭nice bit of green

Decriminalisation only
    So, am not a regular contributor to this forum but what’s the ballpark amount of pages a thread needs before we get things legalised?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,934 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Decriminalisation only
    So, am not a regular contributor to this forum but what’s the ballpark amount of pages a thread needs before we get things legalised?

best of luck

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭kingtiger

Decriminalisation only
    I have to buy cannabis online illegally for my mothers rheumatoid arthritis

The cannabinoids I purchase with a ratio of equal parts CBD to THC (1:1), she says its the only thing that gives her great relief from her symptoms without taking powerful painkillers, but yet its still illegal for me to purchase due to people's ignorance, which is displayed quite brilliantly on this thread

Perhaps some of the "drugs are bad" brigade should do some research instead of spouting the same outdated propaganda and misinformation since the 1930s

There is a lot more to Cannabis, than the same old stereotypes trotted out everytime legalisation is mentioned

Decriminalisation only
    kingtiger wrote: »
    I have to buy cannabis online illegally for my mothers rheumatoid arthritis

The cannabinoids I purchase with a ratio of equal parts CBD to THC (1:1), she says its the only thing that gives her great relief from her symptoms without taking powerful painkillers, but yet its still illegal for me to purchase due to people's ignorance, which is displayed quite brilliantly on this thread

Perhaps some of the "drugs are bad" brigade should do some research instead of spouting the same outdated propaganda and misinformation since the 1930s

There is a lot more to Cannabis, than the same old stereotypes trotted out everytime legalisation is mentioned

drugs generally are bad for peoples well being

Decriminalisation only
    Wanderer78 wrote: »

sugar is bad for your well being, so what's your point?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭ladystardust

Well that statement is just demonstrably incorrect. Medicines are drugs. All of which come with risk. Paracetamol is incredibly easy to overdose on and can have irreversible side effects of same. However, I know what you mean. This is also not necessarily true. There is an inherent social bias that comes from a long line of propaganda which was mostly to do with politics. See 'reefer madness'. Interestinhly LSD has been shown to be extremely effective and efficacious in the treatment of severe depression. I dont know why this is any worse than zapping electricity into someone's brain. But its illegal, therefore, not an option.

Decriminalisation only
    sugar is bad for your well being, so what's your point?

so are a lot of food ingredients, excessive work, nicotine, lack of regular exercise, excessive eating etc etc, weed isnt a wonder drug, it can be very harmful

Decriminalisation only
    Well that statement is just demonstrably incorrect. Medicines are drugs. All of which come with risk. Paracetamol is incredibly easy to overdose on and can have irreversible side effects of same. However, I know what you mean. This is also not necessarily true. There is an inherent social bias that comes from a long line of propaganda which was mostly to do with politics. See 'reefer madness'. Interestinhly LSD has been shown to be extremely effective and efficacious in the treatment of severe depression. I dont know why this is any worse than zapping electricity into someone's brain. But its illegal, therefore, not an option.

i suffer with depression and anxiety, and not a hope in hell would i consider consuming illegal drugs or would i advise it to treat such issues, yes pharmaceutical drugs can be harmful, but there is a process in place to limit its harm

• Registered Users Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭Fracture

Decriminalisation only
    kowloonkev wrote: »
    But it's still the logical thinking, rather than legalizing new harmful substances just because other harmful substances are already legal.

Childish whataboutism is no better.

Human beings have always enjoyed taking substances like alcohol, mushrooms, cannabis etc for thousands of years, some arseholes who don't agree with it shouldn't be able to dictate to others if they are allowed to use it or not, especially when said arseholes enjoy substances such as alcohol.

The "childish whataboutism" in this case is merely pointing out the hypocrisy.

Alcohol is a strong substance, most people can handle it perfectly fine and enjoy it while a minority can't, that doesn't mean it should be banned and your point is stupid nonsense. If you don't want to use cannabis or drink alcohol then don't bother with it and mind your own business.

Decriminalisation only
    weed isnt a wonder drug, it can be very harmful

in my Mother's case, yes it very much is

or would you prefer she takes prescribed painkillers that are slowly killing her?
    i suffer with depression and anxiety, and not a hope in hell would i consider consuming illegal drugs or would i advise it to treat such issues

Did you ever ask yourself why weed is illegal? or even look up the wealth of information on the subject?

Here is some information from the canadian government

https://www.canada.ca/en/health-canada/topics/cannabis-for-medical-purposes.html

• Advertisement

Decriminalisation only

or would you prefer she takes prescribed painkillers that are slowly killing her?

if it works for her, go for it, maybe she can try other alternatives such as apple cider vinegar and yoga etc, might help. pharmaceutical drugs have limits also, and long term use can also be dangerous

Decriminalisation only
    apple cider vinegar and yoga etc

jasus, do you even know what rheumatoid arthritis is like?

Decriminalisation only

Did you ever ask yourself why weed is illegal? or even look up the wealth of information on the subject?

Here is some information from the canadian government

thanks, but ive little or no interest in reading so, a better approach would be to legalise it like other addictive substances, implementing safety measures for its continuous use, but be aware, legislation will not solve all the issues with it, and would in fact introduce its only problems, some complex and dangerous, leading to deaths and life long issues.
    jasus, do you even know what rheumatoid arthritis is like?

yes, family members had/have it, ive mild arthritis myself

Decriminalisation only
    thanks, but ive little or no interest in reading sof

enough said

Decriminalisation only
    enough said

great, please tell us why its illegal?

Decriminalisation only
    great, please tell us why its illegal?

Here you go

Decriminalisation only

thanks, i ll go about my day, i ll be interested in engaging in a sensible mature conversation if you re willing

Decriminalisation only
    thanks, i ll go about my day, i ll be interested in engaging in a sensible mature conversation if you re willing

I will be waiting, have a read and come back with your thoughts

Decriminalisation only
    I will be waiting, have a read and come back with your thoughts

i wont be able to read it, sorry

Decriminalisation only
    i wont be able to read it, sorry

but if you are not informed, how can we have this mature conversation?

• Advertisement

Decriminalisation only
    but if you are not informed, how can we have this mature conversation?

i believe im reasonably well informed, i certainly have my own opinions on the matter

• Registered Users Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭maccored

Tis is me bollocks

yes, it is less harmful than alcohol. its non addictive for a start. you dont get the shakes if you stop smoking - you'll be pissed off for a few days but thats about it.

Decriminalisation only
    maccored wrote: »
    yes, it is less harmful than alcohol. its non addictive for a start. you dont get the shakes if you stop smoking - you'll be pissed off for a few days but thats about it.

again, tis in me bollocks!

again, tis in me bollocks!

are you telling me it is? Do you know what addiction means?

Theres a thing called use disorder when people feel they are dependent on it. Restrict access or dont let them at the stuff for a few days and the dependency gone. Alcohol isnt like that if you are addicted to it

Decriminalisation only

yes its addictive, i know some people that have been addicted to it for many decades, including family members. shur go on, please explain what addiction is?

Decriminalisation only

there is no point debating with someone who wont inform themselves on the subject they are arguing about

Just let them wallow in ignorance ;)

yes its addictive, i know some people that have been addicted to it for many decades, including family members. shur go on, please explain what addiction is?

and what happens when they stop? get ill, have the shakes, vomit? No - they are in a bad mood. a few days later they'll be in a better one.

Decriminalisation only

Theres a thing called use disorder when people feel they are dependent on it. Restrict access or dont let them at the stuff for a few days and its gone. Alcohol isnt like that if you are addicted to it

or keep them out of jail and offer them health based services that will help them with their addiction problems and any other complicated disorders that they may have, jail is bloody expensive, doesnt really solve many complex social issues, in fact exasperates many

there is no point debating with someone who wont inform themselves on the subject they are arguing about

its because of that ignorance that people are getting locked up for having a few grams of smoke, when more serious criminals could be spending longer in the slammer

• Advertisement

Decriminalisation only

hahaha, no bother lads

Advertisement