Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda Recruitment Stage 4 (2019 Campaign)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Dean445

Has anyone heard of an intake happening after the next one?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭r1gskcn9p3y75o

Dean445 wrote: »
    Has anyone heard of an intake happening after the next one?

Based on the numbers I'd say there definitely will be more intakes. With the group returning that were attested early it's hard to figure out the timing. If they keep the same training structure 12 weeks out 16 in. They could take a few more this year. Just a guessing game.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Alana123

I am just wondering For example.. if you pass all stages and you are living in Australia .. and you get an email to go Templemore is it possible to tell them you want to defer until the next Templemore training session??

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Briano1996

What's the best way to train for the beep test? I need an 8.8, I did one recently and got a 6.0.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 393 ✭✭MrMiata

Briano1996 wrote: »
    What's the best way to train for the beep test? I need an 8.8, I did one recently and got a 6.0.

I was in the same position, I actually just managed an 8.8 today, first time ever.
    I topped out at 7.2 before that (I think).

If you're carrying any extra pudge, lose it, any extra weight makes it a lot harder.

Do the beep test consistently, it's easier said than done but getting to that next beep each time quickly closes the gap between 6.0 and 8.8.

Run in general, be it a 5k or just trying to beep your mile time.
    For the beep test you don't need to run any serious distance, but doing a 5k and the likes will help build up leg muscles and what not.

I've also gotten into cycling, it's just a nice change from running, and it also still helps keep your fitness up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭St.Brigids

Alana123 wrote: »
    I am just wondering For example.. if you pass all stages and you are living in Australia .. and you get an email to go Templemore is it possible to tell them you want to defer until the next Templemore training session??

You can defer but it doesn't guarantee you will be offered a spot again as its a highly sought after campaign.

You used to be able to defer it. Unsure how it goes now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 170 ✭✭dublin2000A

i found a spinning bike the best and it got me where i needed to be in 3 weeks, you can buy one for around 300 which is well worth the investment considering gyms etc are closed.

spinning will keep your heart rate in the correct zone to maximize fitness and build lung capacity each session and is much better to manage than running. I did mine in an altitude chamber which decreases oxygen in the room down to only 15% which makes your lungs work harder, you probably don't have access to an altitude chamber so have a look online for an altitude mask.

i know all this sounds like a pain but if you want fast results this is the way to go, I only had three weeks notice for my PCT and at the time i was only achieving mid level 5 on the bleep test, three weeks later I Sailed through it

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭banjoh_10

Get out and run the the roads and do some sprint sessions. No need to go off spending money. If you're not capable of getting up to level 8 then you're not fit for the job. Simple

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 Dent67

Agree with banjoh_10 hit the nail on the head there, personally I built a up a base of fitness like some steady state cardio like 5km runs and 2/3 runs of sprinting like 30secs on 30secs off maybe 10 times or else start small and build up, look whatever suits I mean depends what you like if you like running run etc! Don’t spend money unless you are really going to make use of it. Eh try practice the test few times as well! Will gage what you need to do

• Advertisement

Well not exactly. The requirements are
    Age Males 18-25yrs Level 8.8 and 26-35yrs Level 8.1
    "If you're not capable of getting up to level 8 then you're not fit for the job. Simple" very narrow minded comment. Don't underestimate how much trainees rely on one another throughout the process and after training.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 170 ✭✭dublin2000A

Deano.f87 wrote: »
    Well not exactly. The requirements are
    Age Males 18-25yrs Level 8.8 and 26-35yrs Level 8.1
    "If you're not capable of getting up to level 8 then you're not fit for the job. Simple" very narrow minded comment. Don't underestimate how much trainees rely on one another throughout the process and after training.

well said!!! The lad is looking for advice not criticism.

I agree that you don't need to spend a ton of money etc but I gave my opinion on what worked for me, feel free to do the same without attacking others comments

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭AD07

I would recommend doing the actual beep test and everytime you do it build it up slowly for example you got 6.0 next time get 6.1 and then keep going up. I’d imagine you have abit of time before PCTs start again so don’t panic you’ll get there

well said!!! The lad is looking for advice not criticism.

I agree that you don't need to spend a ton of money etc but I gave my opinion on what worked for me, feel free to do the same without attacking others comments

Not attacking anyone. Giving my opinion. Road running and sprint sessions worked for me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 Dent67

Sorry I completely misread the the part only read the first line banjo_10 message, we are fit to be here, some are at an advantage than others depending on age and level has to be reached, others like myself play football and kept fit over the winter was an advantage I had my base just had to fine tune details I knew what I was doing, get advice from someone that knows the area pt or s&c coach YouTube google anything, if you prep enough and exercising isn’t your jam, start ASAP these fitness will come sooner than you think, Leo hoping country to full operational in mid July, so 6 weeks of good hard solid training and practice beep all the time, remember we all deserved to be here and are able

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Johnmurphy321

Do people have pull when they get stationed after templemore? I know it’s supposed to be anywhere in the country but is that true?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,542 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

Yes it can be anywhere and you'll be told that all the way through. No guarantees. In the main you"ll probably be ok but depending on what's going on in the country at the time you could be going across the country

• Registered Users Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭Canyon86

Do people have pull when they get stationed after templemore? I know it’s supposed to be anywhere in the country but is that true?

just some examples from gardai i know of to give an idea,

home-waterford, stationed-wexford
    home kerry , stationed -limerick
    home cork , stationed -waterford
    home cork west , stationed-cork north
    home cork north, stationed-limerick

Your family/relations/previous employers are factored in too,
    and if you have certain family circumstances you may be looked after, eg children

I was told by a serving member they 'try' and keep you one county / two counties away where possible, nothing mad like waterford to donegal lol

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Johnmurphy321

That’s not too bad so, can you request to go to Dublin? If you were from a county in Munster for example?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭Canyon86

That’s not too bad so, can you request to go to Dublin? If you were from a county in Munster for example?

I m not sure if you can request being honest, good question

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 226 ✭✭St. Westy

Canyon86 wrote: »
    I m not sure if you can request being honest, good question

Anyone that requests Dublin, 99% of the time get it , cause loads don’t want Dublin , Iv an uncle that told me that but then again , it’s all hear say isn’t it

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭LB1197

Does anyone know when the PCTs are starting again or has anyone heard anything? I emailed HR but to no avail.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Alana123

Does anyone ever heard of anyone who was living abroad when applying for the Gardai??
    Is stage 1 the only stage of the application process that can be done online? Like stage 2 or interview can’t be done online?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭ClaireMcGrath

Does anyone ever heard of anyone who was living abroad when applying for the Gardai??
    Is stage 1 the only stage of the application process that can be done online? Like stage 2 or interview can’t be done online?

Stage 1 is the application and an online aptitude test - you’ll then be asked to go to the Public Appointments building in Dublin to sit that same aptitude test again and complete a report writing exercise, so I don’t think it’s a good idea to apply if you aren’t living in Ireland at the time as you won’t be able to progress past the first or second hurdle.

Unless there’s a serious shake-up, then I’m going to go with no - there’s nothing apart from the initial application and aptitude test that is done online, and as I said above, you’ll then have to complete that test in person as a sort of verification that you did the first one.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 AD301

Anybody hear on when the fitness test might be. Even a rough guess?

AD301 wrote: »

I'm working on the presumption July. Team contact sports are back/due to be so no reason why the fitness test can't take place apart form the staff being out in stations.

Contact Garda HR?

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭SquireD

Anyone that has met the Super, what kind of questions were asked and how did it go for you? Have my meeting this Friday!

• Registered Users Posts: 22 AD301

SquireD wrote: »
    Anyone that has met the Super, what kind of questions were asked and how did it go for you? Have my meeting this Friday!

I was told to wear a suit. Any one else wear one?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭ClaireMcGrath

I was told to wear a suit. Any one else wear one?

I wore formal clothes for the interview (trousers, blouse & blazer), for the meeting with the Super I didn't go full formal - I had a nice pair of jeans and a nice top ... I still looked far more presentable than the face that wanders down to the kitchen table each morning, but not over the top either :)

Advertisement