Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Forum Chit-Chat Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Springwell

Biothane slip leads are best in terms of infection control as they're easily disinfected!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,002 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

Springwell wrote: »
    Biothane slip leads are best in terms of infection control as they're easily disinfected!

I’ve heard that alright but have had trouble finding any, if you have any links it would be appreciated :D I have a few normal ones for now that I’ll just spray down between dogs with a pet friendly disinfectant!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,023 ✭✭✭✭tk123

I’ve heard that alright but have had trouble finding any, if you have any links it would be appreciated :D I have a few normal ones for now that I’ll just spray down between dogs with a pet friendly disinfectant!

Oh a guy on one of the raw feeding FB pages I'm on makes biothane collars and leads - https://www.biothanebert.dog

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Springwell

Biothane Bert or Sporting Saint stock them

• Registered Users Posts: 4,002 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

Since we are all around the house so much more during this lockdown (and my OH has moved in so an extra presence around), Moose has decided he needs to be rubbed more often. So now we have to pay a ‘rub tax’ if we walk past him or sit down beside him. We do this because if we don’t, he has taken to screaming at us. I don’t know who’s worse, us or him. Oh life with a Bengal :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭em_cat

Absolutely livid atm, some selfish arseholes decided it would be fun to smash a bunch of glass bottles around in the overgrown areas in our green spaces and now poor Esmae has had to go the vets & get sutures to reattach her carpal pad as it was nearly sliced off. She doesn’t do well with sedation and I’ll be up all night monitoring her blood pressure & keeping her from trying to take out the cannula for the drip. I am very proud of her though as she was fairly calm being handled by the vets.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

em_cat wrote: »
    Absolutely livid atm, some selfish arseholes decided it would be fun to smash a bunch of glass bottles around in the overgrown areas in our green spaces and now poor Esmae has had to go the vets & get sutures to reattach her carpal pad as it was nearly sliced off. She doesn’t do well with sedation and I’ll be up all night monitoring her blood pressure & keeping her from trying to take out the cannula for the drip. I am very proud of her though as she was fairly calm being handled by the vets.
    Hope she's OK, poor thing

She will but I may not as now we cant get out to do our thing in the mornings as she’ll be on kennel rest and indoor enrichment games for about a week. It just really makes me angry how we are all going through such a stressful time right now with coved and yet what do the self entitled scum ones do is destroy and contaminate any nice and decent spaces that enter. The injury was pretty nasty and bloody and Esmae is known to be a devil demon when in pain, but she really surprised me by how brave she was tonight. Poor thing doesn’t want to eat anything and is a wee bit incontinent but that should pass by the am.

Oh no poor Esme :( Somebody here had glass smashed outside their garage door. Rather than pick it up they swept it all to one side so now there's a pile of weeds to one side that Bailey keeps going to sniff in and it's full of broken glass! :mad:

I had B at the vets on fri - he got back in the car and took his ball rather than go in with the nurse.. until she came out with treats! :D hahaha He's had a bad tummy on and off for the whole time I've been working from home that would settle for a week or so then boom - lets just say his pantaloons and the garden have never been cleaner. There's an improvement this morning and I hope it stays that way!

@tk123 :eek: pancreatitis is awful, Mr C also suffers but it’s not that bad as he doesn’t have pantaloons however he does have a habit of trying to write his name on trees & walls. I’m hoping that when we move, we are building, he will adjust to toileting in our garden and not demand to be walked to do it. We have to carry a wee bottle of water to clean off peoples footpath walls.

I don’t get smashing glass everywhere that children and dogs play or indeed in front of someone’s garage. IDK, it wasn’t something we did as teens or children. I was really upset though because her front carpal pad was literally hanging on and blood everywhere and the screaming was awful to hear. She’s doing much better today and her blood pressure is stable so we are doing a lot of 'leave it' training now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,564 ✭✭✭Mollyb60

Took Pangur to the vets this morning as her back legs had been wobbly all day yesterday. Vet said she might have fallen and hurt her back/tail. But he mentioned in passing that he thought she was way older than <snip> told us she was when we got her. They thought she was 5 at the time (so 7 now), vet thinks she's 12! :eek: At least over 10 anyway. So he's kept her in to do a kidney test on her because we mentioned that she drinks so much water normally. Said if she is an older cat it might also be arthritis.

So we suddenly might have a senior cat on our hands! Would explain a lot actually. She was always so sedate and calm compared to our other cat who is mental.

EDIT: the vet called. It's kidney disease. So she's definitely an older cat. He's keeping her in for a few days to get her urea and creatine levels down as they're sky high. So this will require a new way of living for us which was unexpected. Very upsetting.

Lucy would have been 7 today :( Just still so weird without her :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭Bells21

tk123 wrote: »

A tough day for you tk. Hope you took it easy with Bailey while remembering Lucy.

Ah I'm sorry tk. Must have been a hard day for you :(

My elderly golden retriever has finally reached her goal weight!! I'm actually delighted! She's with us now officially just over a year so it's been quite a long process. I've always kept my dogs at healthy weights so I've never had to do this level of dieting with one before. I think I thought it would be a much quicker transformation, but from a chat with borderlinemeath I realised I was being a bit unrealistic.

So we've worked slowly and steadily and it's gone great. She has arthritis and she's just so much more steady on her feet now. She used to waddle along behind me at the beach really slowly and I'd let her just walk as far as she wanted and turn back. Now when my other dogs are unleashed and go racing off , she takes off after them. She can't keep up but she gives it her best try and she's happy out and not gasping afterwards. She's such a good girl. Now to maintain her new 'beach bod'! :D

It's been six months since we lost Amelia, so much has changed since, but tonight I got a pang in my heart for my little kitty. I was pouring out a bowl of milk for the elderly tomcat when the Newfie puppy saw, so I was then pouring out milk for him when the kitten (9 months old, not small) pounced from God knows where and landed WHAM on my neck I miss Amelia because she used to do these things but calculated. She only had four weeks with the Newf before she played chicken with a car outside. I love my kitten that I got to replace her, and maybe even more that kitten's mother cat who wasn't part of the plan but ended up coming too; but none of them are Amelia. My kitten, CeCe, is exceptionally pretty, she outshines my beautiful little girl in that, but they are all so different. I will never have my Amelia back.

Gave Mr C a haircut or rather a short back & sides job and the poor thing is now freezing :eek: and I've a much deeper appreciation for our groomers. He’s very wiggly unlike Esmae who stands still for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

em_cat wrote: »
    Gave Mr C a haircut or rather a short back & sides job and the poor thing is now freezing :eek: and I've a much deeper appreciation for our groomers. He’s very wiggly unlike Esmae who stands still for me.

For a minute I thought MR C was your other-half (human) :D:) So I read it again!

aonb wrote: »
    For a minute I thought MR C was your other-half (human) :D:) So I read it again!

Oh, I did his hair a few weeks ago, it grows like a chia pet, so he’s due again this weekend along with the piggies... :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭dashoonage

My auld Duskie dog has leaned up nicely since ive been at working from home, i think its 10% the increased activity and 90% not being looked after by my mother during the day :) me suspect there might have been some lies being told on treat rations being used.

• Advertisement

We got a kitten!
    Dogs are all in love, the 2 cats not so much, they run away, hoping to start proper intro time together later this week.
    He's called rocket, I'm going to put a pic in the photo thread.

We got a kitten!
    Dogs are all in love, the 2 cats not so much, they run away, hoping to start proper intro time together later this week.
    He's called rocket, I'm going to put a pic in the photo thread.

dashoonage wrote: »
    My auld Duskie dog has leaned up nicely since ive been at working from home, i think its 10% the increased activity and 90% not being looked after by my mother during the day :) me suspect there might have been some lies being told on treat rations being used.

Lies told by who - your mother, or Duskie dog?!?!? :D
    Hey, when you hand your dog (or your children) over to another adult, you get what you get :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭LenWoods

Our Bearnese Beagle loves "Pawsley & Co." Wagtastic chicken wrapped raw hide bones which are available in Tesco and Dunnes Stores,
    There €2.75 each also available wrapped in bacon; we get him one every week when doing the shopping,
    I'm sure lots of other people's dogs love them too; he sits in the middle of the garden and nibbles off the chicken stopping to catch every crumb chewing with his eyes closed before starting on the centre,

I've logged on to Amazon and purchased a box of 18 for €27.43
    Meaning they cost only €1.52 each instead of €2.75 in Tesco or Dunnes

Thought I'd share the Savings; I wouldn't give the dog more than one per week though as they take time to digest

Link: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B06XWWK2BS?ref=ppx_pt2_dt_b_prod_image

Rocket the kitten is here nearly 3 weeks, wrestling dogs now and playing chase, but the cats are still not impressed, they avoid him, even for treats. Hoping they'll settle soon.

My lovely Bailey is 11 today! :D We got some cakes to celebrate and I've gotten a box to drop over for the staff at the vets too as a thank you for all they do for us :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,112 ✭✭✭el Fenomeno

I've noted on Facebook that there seems to have been a huge increase in the number of posts re: missing pets, and more specifically, stolen pets. I know it's a year round problem, but haven't seen as many posts in such a short time before. And I see An Garda Siochana have posted a generic warning about it today too. The Wexford and Wicklow area seems to be particularly hard hit lately.

I have a new cat
    well the cat has adopted us
    semi-feral, but getting better
    My husband is NOT happy
    The dog is NOT happy - he is now seriously outnumbered:D

https://photos.google.com/photo/AF1QipNe3JqOUNYTI8AkG0jHKq3RCCFE9tpoU6LLoMcR

That Ashton article isn’t painting our vet in a great light! He called me back on Stephen’s day when they were closed and I had left a note in the door... told me it was fine and to bring Lucy in that last time :( He’s great with Bailey tool.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Choc Chip

That Ashton article isn’t painting our vet in a great light! He called me back on Stephen’s day when they were closed and I had left a note in the door... told me it was fine and to bring Lucy in that last time :( He’s great with Bailey tool.

If the quotes are true, they're worrying alright.

Advertisement