Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Forum Chit-Chat Thread

Options

Comments

My vets gave me four months worth of medication for Khali on Friday. Such a relief. They would usually just give two months max then give her a check up and another two months then and so on. But with the current situation they were more than happy to give me the four months. Shes on lifelong medication and I'm well able to access her myself anyway.

Had to get a small procedure too but the vet only charged me for the meds. He's such a kind man. He has his own health issues and really he shouldn't have been there, he should have let the younger vets run the show but I knew he would be. He's just that type of fella to put the animals first. I do hope he steps back a bit though. He's a wonderful vet and we need him there whenever this sh!tstorm blows over.

Have a good stock of dog and cat food here and also froze additional meat, chicken thighs, mince etc and have plenty of tinned sardines. So should hopefully be able to ride this thing out.

The Pets might be what keeps us all sane over the coming months. A great time to do some training, learn some new behaviours etc. Good mental stimulation for animal and human!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭dashoonage

Eye I got in 36kg of nuts during the week as they are made in the UK and well....borris johnson.

I though of the madra before myself 🀣

The Pets might be what keeps us all sane over the coming months. A great time to do some training, learn some new behaviours etc. Good mental stimulation for animal and human!

Personally we have concerns for our sanity if forced to self isolate with our 8 month old Newfie! In such a situation I'll be shoving him into the car at the crack of dawn to bring him out in the woods before anyone else is around.

If we both got sick though, especially at the same time, well he's going to wreck the place! I wouldn't let anyone come take him out as they'd be at massive risk of contracting it then. He's mostly a quiet puppy but he knows how to voice his frustrations.

Personally we have concerns for our sanity if forced to self isolate with our 8 month old Newfie! In such a situation I'll be shoving him into the car at the crack of dawn to bring him out in the woods before anyone else is around.

If we both got sick though, especially at the same time, well he's going to wreck the place! I wouldn't let anyone come take him out as they'd be at massive risk of contracting it then. He's mostly a quiet puppy but he knows how to voice his frustrations.

We're lucky we're right beside the beach and can pop down for a run when it's quiet.

We're concerned about us both catching it too. My parents are the only family we have nearby and as they are in the at risk group we couldn't have them come to take the animals either. It's certainly a worry. Mine are all older and somewhat wiser (as in no puppies) so hopefully shouldn't wreck the house from lack of exercise. Just hoping if we get it, at least one of us will only have mild symptoms and able to care for the pets.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭Fakediamond

I got extra food in too. I was worried when I saw the Italy situation unfold so bought in two big bags of food for the cat and dog. The dog is only around 4.5 kegs and the bag of food is 4 kgs so she’ll still be eating it in July! I was just worried that pets would not be a priority if the situation continues to deteriorate. I hope I’m wrong.

Anyway, dogs would be fine sharing our human food and cats would be ok with chicken, sardines, tuna etc for a while I’m sure. My cat is just fussy and doesn’t eat any of that :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,803 ✭✭✭sunbeam

Zapperzy wrote: »
    There's a lot of stuff out of stock on zooplus. That's the only place I can get my cats normal food, one of them is very fussy about what she eats and I've about a 3 weeks supply left. I'll keep an eye on it see if it comes back in but I assume if Germany implement a lockdown then they're warehousing and distribution will be hit. My cats won't starve but the smell out of their trays will be something else if they switch to aldi's finest. Not the end of the world in the grand scheme of things.

May be something to keep in mind if anyones got pets on prescription foods or therapeutic diets.

Thanks for the heads up, I see that Zooplus now have a notice on their homepage asking customers to allow for two extra days for delivery. I notice that Petstop.ie have marked several items as click and collect only as well.

I got extra food in too. I was worried when I saw the Italy situation unfold so bought in two big bags of food for the cat and dog. The dog is only around 4.5 kegs and the bag of food is 4 kgs so she’ll still be eating it in July! I was just worried that pets would not be a priority if the situation continues to deteriorate. I hope I’m wrong.

Anyway, dogs would be fine sharing our human food and cats would be ok with chicken, sardines, tuna etc for a while I’m sure. My cat is just fussy and doesn’t eat any of that :rolleyes:

My dog is x10 the weight of yours! He eats almost a kilo a day 😂 And he could possibly double that weight too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭Fakediamond

My dog is x10 the weight of yours! He eats almost a kilo a day �� And he could possibly double that weight too.

Mmm, I can see your difficulty!!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Apparently one shop ran out of cat food last week; good to see folk are stocking up
    Well- stocked here. I have a permanent stash under the table but have cat food stacked up in addition. Glad to be out in the wilds as less manic buying.

My early walks with the cats are at first light now for avoidance reasons. Same as you are planning with the dogs. At least now first light is not so drastic.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,002 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

Hope you guys are all doing okay in these worrying times!
    I’ve decided to temporarily close my dog grooming parlour as a lot of my customers are elderly, as well as having asthma myself so taking no risks, but the cat’s are delighted with all the extra duvet days they’re getting now!

• Advertisement

I floated the idea with a friend that cats might just have caused this. For their own ends. Nothing would surprise me with those cunning little creatures

I am a dog walker so my work has mostly dried up too. I still have a few clients who need me to wiork. I have offered my services free of charge in the local area to people who are immune compromised or elderly. Unfortunately kind gestures don't put petrol in the car so have to rely on my regular paid work too.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 6,935 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

I order two 12 kg bags at a time and they last months
    I have three quarters of a bag here now but I'm just wondering should I order another two tomorrow?

I order two 12 kg bags at a time and they last months
    I have three quarters of a bag here now but I'm just wondering should I order another two tomorrow?

I'm personally not worrying about delivery from Zooplus. If in two weeks time the delivery can't happen then I will just pay twice the price and get it from the pet shop. Will hurt though since I'm very down for work. Thankfully my husband's job is secure so we don't need to stress.

I was just walking home from the shop tonight thinking how effing lucky I am. We bought the house last year and got married too. My heart goes out to anyone renting, or especially trying to get married now!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 6,935 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

I ordered two bags anyway, its four extra days now coming from zooplus. Hopefully it'll get here by the time I need it. I've not stockpiled anything at all yet. I might go through the freezer though to see what's in it and buy a few frozen ready meals for handiness in case I do get sick. My mums in hospital at the minute so its just me for the time being.

I placed an order from Zooplus on Monday It was dispatched today and I got an email from DPD stating that it will be delivered on Friday. I'm very relieved as I need specific food to hide my cat's meds in to make sure she takes them, which our local Supervalu does not stock. I've also got another cat who eats Royal Canin Calm food to help with her anxiety, so I'm glad that is on the way

The cat litter I placed in my Zooplus basket had gone out of stock by the time I got to the checkout.I usually buy 30l bags of Sanicat from Petstop.ie as our local supermarket is often out, but they too were out of stock. I think I managed to get the last few 8l bags from them on Monday, but have just noticed that they have restocked now.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,002 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

I got a delivery last Monday from Zooplus. It took a little longer than usual but at least we’re stocked up just in case.

I got an email earlier to tell me my order was dispatched today. That was fast.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

I ordered from zooplus Tuesday and its arriving tomorrow, faster than last 2 deliveries.
    Dogs are delighted we're home every day, more play and cuddles

• Registered Users Posts: 14,023 ✭✭✭✭tk123

We're fine for food. When Lucy was sick :( I noticed that Rinti gastro was only 0.02% higher in phosphorus so switched to that over renal in case I ended up with tons of it - I did! Have loads of raw too as I had double ordered stuff that I could get her to eat. Couple of weeks ago I did a shop for us becauseI guessed what was coming... and strategically picked stuff like chicken portions and lean enough meats that I'd be happy to feed to Bailey if I ended up with loads left lol :D. Work wise I work from home a lot anyways as I have lots of afternoon meetings as well as my college work so all good on that front.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭em_cat

Not sure if this is allowed, but AniEd are running a 100 days of enrichment activities from their blog via Facebook if anyone is interested. It’s free and a seriously great resource for finding things to do with your pet, or in our case teach them to be settled and calm during this time. It’s aimed at teaching thru enrichment and I found that it’s fun for our piggies and also great for the 4( yes that’s right) foster pet rats we are looking after right now. I always forget how intelligent pet rats can be and bless poor Mr C, he is the most non terrier terrier I’ve ever known :)

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Choc Chip

em_cat wrote: »
    I found that it’s fun for our piggies and also great for the 4( yes that’s right) foster pet rats we are looking after right now. I always forget how intelligent pet rats can be and bless poor Mr C, he is the most non terrier terrier I’ve ever known :)

Wait, what?!

I could have fostered rats?!!!! How am I only hearing aobut this NOW? :eek::eek:

Choc Chip wrote: »
    Wait, what?!

I could have fostered rats?!!!! How am I only hearing aobut this NOW? :eek::eek:

:):):)

Hope all are taking care, have to say I am loooooving this social distancing so far, it’s so nice having loads of space for walking the dogs, Mr C is getting tons of 'look at that' training and Esmae is getting just me play time.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,564 ✭✭✭Mollyb60

Just went online to Pets at Home to see if I could get some cat food and litter delivered - NO CHANCE. Everything seems to be sold out. Same with zooplus. Looks like I'm gonna have to go to the shop to see if anything is actually in stock down there.

Petstop.ie have some litter in stock online. They have a limit of two bags per customer on the Sanicat I ordered earlier, but 30l bags are in stock.

Mollyb60 wrote: »
    Just went online to Pets at Home to see if I could get some cat food and litter delivered - NO CHANCE. Everything seems to be sold out. Same with zooplus. Looks like I'm gonna have to go to the shop to see if anything is actually in stock down there.

My dog food came yesterday. Reading this post, I'm so glad I ordered it when I did.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,564 ✭✭✭Mollyb60

We went to the shop this morning for opening at 9am. Were sitting there for 20 minutes waiting for the shop to open and when it did they were only taking people to see the vet for the first hour. Would've been nice to know that though! So back home we went. We're gonna try at lunchtime now again.

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭Taiga

Lads, do any of you feed Rocco to your doggo's? I've been feeding mine Real Nature from Maxi Zoo but toying around with changing. Mainly because I hate going to Maxi Zoo.
    Currently it's just under €15 for 6 800g tins because you get one free when you buy 6.

People seem to be panic buying pet supplies online now. I guess they have the people supplies all stocked up now so are moving on to their furry friends now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭Taiga

Pet stores aren't closing thankfully. I asked the girl in MZ last week about supplies of Real Nature if things go belly up and she said they foresee no issues as they will remain open and stocked.

Advertisement