Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AMD Zen Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

7 months on from buying my 5700, still have driver issues.

100% expecting a full refund when I return this thing in September/October to grab 1 of Nvidias new cards.

How are Amazon for returns past the 1-2 months period especially if I can't prove the card is faulty.

Just checked and it wasn't sold directly by Amazon, so I guess I'll have to go through the shop that sold through Amazon?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

BloodBath wrote: »

100% expecting a full refund when I return this thing in September/October to grab 1 of Nvidias new cards.

How are Amazon for returns past the 1-2 months period especially if I can't prove the card is faulty.

Just checked and it wasn't sold directly by Amazon, so I guess I'll have to go through the shop that sold through Amazon?

What games are you having issues with?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭.G.

I returned a motherboard after 6 months, I know now it wasn't faulty but I didn't know at the time but they just took my word for it. Full refund no questions asked. Its a massive reason to buy from them IMO. RMA is second to none. If its sold by someone but fulfilled by Amazon you might be ok. Otherwise I'm not sure.

On the flip side I returned a known faulty CPU to OCUK, they tested it, confirmed it to be faulty but still sent it to AMD for them to try fix it before sending me a brand new one a month later. I'd bought a replacement from Amazon before I sent it back. Just as well, 4 weeks without a CPU otherwise!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,356 ✭✭✭seraphimvc

Ordered B550 Asrock phantom itx in the afternoon (210e)...now cant wait for next week!

And i just ordered that B550 taichi as well, potentially a mispriced at 180euro ffs it can be my brother's next year birthday present so (on caseking.de if anyone is interested)

What games are you having issues with?

Anything really, warzone, hearthstone, it doesn't matter. Screen goes black with 3d especially if my pc comes back from standby. I have to reboot and then it's fine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Anything really, warzone, hearthstone, it doesn't matter. Screen goes black with 3d especially if my pc comes back from standby. I have to reboot and then it's fine.

Did you try not letting it go into standby?

I set my screen to never go into standby with this system and my previous Intel one. It annoys me if I go off and do something and come back to a computer and the screens gone off or your case gone into computer gone into standby.

Power settings turn off never.

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭fguinan

seraphimvc wrote: »
    Ordered B550 Asrock phantom itx in the afternoon (210e)...now cant wait for next week!

And i just ordered that B550 taichi as well, potentially a mispriced at 180euro ffs it can be my brother's next year birthday present so (on caseking.de if anyone is interested)

Cheers - I just ordered a B550 taichi. Guess I'll have to build a desktop!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

Woeful pricing again on B550 boards. I don't know how AMD have killed the value proposition on everything else and yet motherboards are twice what should be reasonable, and about 2.5 - 3x what would be good value.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,945 ✭✭✭Anima

I have problems with standby even though I only have an AMD CPU/mobo. Sometimes by PC never turns while in sleep and I have to hard reboot. The event viewer never shows anything, it's like I've just turned it off myself. Probably some BIOS/chipset thing. Annoying as hell though.

Sleep mode is great if you do any kind of dev, have lots of **** open for work etc.

Woeful pricing again on B550 boards. I don't know how AMD have killed the value proposition on everything else and yet motherboards are twice what should be reasonable, and about 2.5 - 3x what would be good value.

is absolutely atrocious. But i think it is not AMD, it is the mobo manufacturers, they slap on alot of 'premium features' on these new boards (backplate, heatsinks etc), that add about $40-80 to the base price already - they really want to 'celebrate' (cash in) on pcie4 - they knew Intel boards are going to suffer in sales for a while so why not.

like i was reading the review for Gigabyte itx board and look at the fancy board damn https://www.techpowerup.com/review/gigabyte-b550i-aorus-pro-ax/3.html

For me because I need to upgrade my near 6 years old desktop (Intel G3258+GTX 750:pac:), it doesnt make sense to me if I dont get a B550. X570 is overkilled for me, B450 is just not a viable option anymore, A520 i doubt it will be on par with B550 and it is too far away from now.

Also because due to supply issue, i don't see the price of B550 boards would change for awhile. So feck it, to save myself all the headaches, I'll take the bite and get B550 on the launch day.

(I will however keep an eye out for GPU, i expect further price reduced for the cards toward end of year so i cant wait :D.)

• Advertisement

I've ordered that Taichi too. Good spot. Has to be a mistake as it's showing over 300 sterling on UK sites.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,901 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

I've ordered that Taichi too. Good spot. Has to be a mistake as it's showing over 300 sterling on UK sites.

I'm going to build a new PC in January. Would it be mad to order this B550 now?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,768 ✭✭✭djan

If on a budget, keep in mind that B450 boards will support 4xxx series CPUs. To me, at such prices, thee newer boards don't offer anything that would warrant sacrifices in CPU, GPU and storage for a sub 1k build at the least!

djan wrote: »
    If on a budget, keep in mind that B450 boards will support 4xxx series CPUs. To me, at such prices, thee newer boards don't offer anything that would warrant sacrifices in CPU, GPU and storage for a sub 1k build at the least!

Aye agreed, if on a budget anyway, B450 is good enough. It is essentially you can buy 2x B450 boards with the price of 1x B550, it is madness.

Is mainly the PCIe4 (i am going to get a new gpu for it later this year or next year) and those usb 3.1 (gen2+1) for my ITX build that i don't intend to change for next 3-5 years.
    TitianGerm wrote: »

It depends on your needs and how long if you are willing to wait, since your plan is in Jan-2021 anyway i guess you could wait for they show us A520/X670's specs (supposed to come out late this year) and decide. Otherwise budget/average build you can just get B450 when they restock (price will drop abit in the coming months i expect), or grab a B550 now because feck all you are not bothered to wait any longer like myself :D (or well, keep an eye on X570 to see if there is any good deal show up)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,703 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

TitianGerm wrote: »

Better question, would it be mad to buy the Taichi & hustle it for a small profit? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 27,901 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

djan wrote: »

Nah I'll be spending around €1500 and will be reusing my case. Might also include what ever I get from selling my current R7 1700 and RTX2060 PC on top of that budget.

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    Better question, would it be mad to buy the Taichi & hustle it for a small profit? :pac:

It's been amended now. €413.

Hopefully they'll honor the price.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Ffffff... was just about to pull the trigger on one!

It's been amended now. €413.

Hopefully they'll honor the price.

oh no, oh please :pac:

Literally half-price if we got the order through, bargain of the year

I also ditched the Asrock itx and go with Gigabyte now, 180euro, legit

seraphimvc wrote: »
    oh no, oh please :pac:

Literally half-price if we got the order through, bargain of the year

I also ditched the Asrock itx and go with Gigabyte now, 180euro, legit

They've taken funds from my Paypal so we'll see what happens. I'll argue it if they don't give it to me for the original (wrong)price. Won't be paying €400 though.

• Advertisement

They've taken funds from my Paypal so we'll see what happens. I'll argue it if they don't give it to me for the original (wrong)price. Won't be paying €400 though.

ye definitely, i wont be paying that as well lmao

• Registered Users Posts: 13,981 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Thought they were mid range boards, isn't there a A520 series coming out soon?

Besides it being the launch of these boards, at a time where motherboards are increasing in price, in a era of a new pci-express generation and there being little competition, is this really unexpected?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Lu Tze

B450 is still there and available. I would imagine you would have to have fairly esoteric use cases where PCIx 3 isn't sufficient. I certainly don't see myself running into any issues/limitations anytime soon. Will the top end next gen GPUs hit a bottleneck due to it? I doubt it.

For limited budgets you still have a good choice

Also it's like everyone has forgotten that COVID-19 is still around & affecting shipment/prices.

These SKUs have thin margins as-is, you add production delays & shipping into the mix, you get bad prices.

Lu Tze wrote: »
    B450 is still there and available. I would imagine you would have to have fairly esoteric use cases where PCIx 3 isn't sufficient. I certainly don't see myself running into any issues/limitations anytime soon. Will the top end next gen GPUs hit a bottleneck due to it? I doubt it.

For limited budgets you still have a good choice

I don't think GPU's are too near saturating PCIe3 x16 yet.

Apparently 2 last gen titans maxes it in an 8/8 sli setup so a single GPU will need to be at least that fast with large amounts of fast memory.

So maybe 2 more gens for a titan equivalent card. 4-5 years for a mid range card.

The other issues is NVME SSD's. If you want more than 1 or if you want faster ones you're gonna need PCIe4.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    Also it's like everyone has forgotten that COVID-19 is still around & affecting shipment/prices.

These SKUs have thin margins as-is, you add production delays & shipping into the mix, you get bad prices.

What are we getting though? If you question the prices of ATX boards, it's all "oooh Features and ports and phases". So why are itx boards at half the size with fewer features more expensive then?

They're a more niche product.

They're a more niche product.

This; also a decent amount of mini-ITX boards are over-engineered (e.g. MSI B450I Gaming Plus) - absurdly strong VRMs & thicker PCBs

• Registered Users Posts: 13,981 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

I don't think GPU's are too near saturating PCIe3 x16 yet.

Apparently 2 last gen titans maxes it in an 8/8 sli setup so a single GPU will need to be at least that fast with large amounts of fast memory.

So maybe 2 more gens for a titan equivalent card. 4-5 years for a mid range card.

The other issues is NVME SSD's. If you want more than 1 or if you want faster ones you're gonna need PCIe4.

You would have to imagine that their are performance benefits gen 4 outside of pure bandwidth figures. Eg, their is a small performance hit in gen 3 cards in a gen 2 x16 slot, even though its equivalent to a gen 3 x8 slot in bandwidth alone.

It seems like in a latency sensitive setting like graphics computing, having half the latency could be the difference in finishing the frame in time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭.G.

How are Gigabyte for BIOS updates and stability etc? I'm going to do a build with the spare 3600 I have but I've always used Asus on my builds and MSI on many others. I like some of the Aorus offerings in B550.

Advertisement