Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is Quarantine being enforced?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭bettyoleary

gral6 wrote: »
    Filling out a form at the airport is mandatory, self-isolation is not.
    Have a good time in Ireland.
    And your the biggest idiot telling soft people this. The virus will spread again you will put people out of jobs. No one should even ask this question they know the answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭Jim Root

Never mind quarantine, it’s the acid rain that will get you.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

Jim_Hodge wrote: »
    I can't help but suspect this is a wind-up.

Welcome to Ireland, not a wind up if you can get away with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 Wii776

The rules are not being enforced. I know of several people who have recently returned from abroad and were immediately going about their business and were out and about extensively

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭gral6

And your the biggest idiot telling soft people this. The virus will spread again you will put people out of jobs. No one should even ask this question they know the answer.

Half of the country already out of work. You need to wake up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,922 ✭✭✭spookwoman

Look at what's happened in new zealand because some twats broke quarantine.

Wii776 wrote: »
    The rules are not being enforced. I know of several people who have recently returned from abroad and were immediately going about their business and were out and about extensively

Fair play to them!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,053 ✭✭✭Be right back

A cycling trip around Sweden sounds good. Maybe try that instead?!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭milli milli

OP you would be very welcome in Ireland at any other time, believe me. We are only delighted to welcome tourists.
    But now is not the time.
    At the moment people can only travel 20km from their homes. We have done well to keep numbers with the virus low by adhering to a fairly strict lockdown. If you came here, chances are you’d travel more than 20km which is unfair for all of us who stuck to the guidelines.

In fairness as Sweden has let the virus roam free, there’s a good chance you may have it (you could be asymptomatic) or could be carrying it or might pick it up at the airport.

Also you might say you will keep your distance in Ireland, but for instance what would happen if one of your party took ill or fell off the bike and bumped their head (or worse was involved in a bike accident) and required emergency services - that’s putting the lives of those people at risk.

OP please postpone your trip to next year. We’ve all made sacrifices to keep the numbers low here. We can’t risk having people outside the country coming in and doing whatever they want.
    Thank you

• Registered Users Posts: 10,456 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

Welcome to Ireland, not a wind up if you can get away with it.

Welcome to the world where wind ups are obvious as hell yet wash over the heads of some.

• Advertisement

spookwoman wrote: »
    Look at what's happened in new zealand because some twats broke quarantine.

What happened in New Zeland? Disaster? Everyone is dying?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,922 ✭✭✭spookwoman

Not funny mate especially if people do start dying again there because of selfish bo**oxs.
    https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/jun/18/new-zealand-coronavirus-defences-under-scrutiny-as-more-breaches-emerge

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

Benimar wrote: »

As for the OP, what not just stay home this year? Is it really worth it?

Genuine question. The virus isn’t going anywhere and no guarantee of a vaccine . So do you think we should stay home this year, next year, the year after, the year after that, 10 years, 15 years, 20 years, 30 years, 40 years?

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭Lemsiper

They were definitely bulshïtting anyway. Having lived in NZ I can safely saying those careless cünts were no way completely covid free.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Benimar

Micky 32 wrote: »
    Genuine question. The virus isn’t going anywhere and no guarantee of a vaccine . So do you think we should stay home this year, next year, the year after, the year after that, 10 years, 15 years, 20 years, 30 years, 40 years?

I think he should stay at home this year. He can then reassess based on up to date information next year.

It may have died out, we may have a treatment, maybe even a vaccine.

Asking people to not do things (holiday, pub etc) at the moment doesn’t mean They can never do them, as appears to be the tone of your 30, 40 years comment.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

Benimar wrote: »

Asking people to not do things (holiday, pub etc) at the moment doesn’t mean They can never do them, as appears to be the tone of your 30, 40 years comment.

I do get the impression from some posters that life has ended because the virus is here to stay.

I do like your reply though, it’s positive and i agree.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭Acosta

StefanFal wrote: »
    Thanks for the responses all.

Unfortunately its only a week visit so the quarantine won't be possible. We will be keeping our distance rest assured.

You're required to fill in a form either online in advance or on the airline which includes the address you're meant to be isolating at . You must hand this to immigration at the airport. If you tell them you're going off on a cycling trip and don't intend to isolate they might not let you in.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,454 ✭✭✭Icepick

Quarantine is not mandatory. There is no enforcement as it would be illegal under EU law to enforce it.
    This is an obvious lie.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭DebDynamite

Considering seaside villages down the country had signs up saying “Dubliner’s go home”, etc I can’t see you being made welcome anywhere you go

jonnny68 wrote: »
    This is true but many people don't know this, and think you have to actually self isolate, also there's a chance they could call to your house, unlikely but they could and this is why im flying back via Belfast to avoid this.
    Your not smart doing this you can do what you like. Unfortunately we are getting a second wave and what you do soft lad wont make the slightest bit of difference. The economy is ruined poor people will suffer you are part of the cause of it end of. Enjoy your holiday idiot.

• Advertisement

Your not smart doing this you can do what you like. Unfortunately we are getting a second wave and what you do soft lad wont make the slightest bit of difference. The economy is ruined poor people will suffer you are part of the cause of it end of. Enjoy your holiday idiot.
    Where are you going anyway soft lad Spain ??? Get in the cheap pints in Molly Malones and come home like a lobster is it and back to the old 9-5 job??? Except a bit of an adventure bcos you will be avoiding the border checks.?? Wow what a brave fella. Dk head.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,509 ✭✭✭Speak Now

What's with the quoting yourself Betty?

And shaming people in Penny's clothes?

This lockdown has brought the best out in some people and the worst out in others!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

Considering seaside villages down the country had signs up saying “Dubliner’s go home”, etc I can’t see you being made welcome anywhere you go

That's really a thing?

Let's see how many over priced Irish hotels are still in business in 2021 without Dubliners

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,410 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Quarantine is not mandatory. There is no enforcement as it would be illegal under EU law to enforce it, once you fill out the form at your port of entry you are good to go. Enjoy your cycling trip.
    Nothing to do with EU law. Many countries enforced lockdown across cities, regions or indeed whole countries, and we all saw very stringent enforcement by police in EU states like Spain and Italy.

Quarantine is definitely "mandatory", but I think the point you were trying to get at is there is no sanction in Ireland for failing to quarantine. That does not make it "legal" - it simply limits the consequences of ignoring quarantine. However if there is widespread ignoring of the rules (and I am sure they will be checking some of the forms), it would be possible for formal sanctions to be introduced. Flouting of any of these regulations is not appropriate and unnecessary (certainly if all you are foregoing is a few cycles)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭deceit

StefanFal wrote: »
    Hi,

I'm flying into Ireland for a cycling trip and understand there are rules with regards to quarantine.

Has anyone any experience to share about whether its actually been enforced or not? It's a short trip so there is no time for quarantine and we won't be mixing with other people.

We intend staying in same county once we reach our destination.

Thanks in advance.
    From experience over the last month without reading most of the other posts before.
    Before I drove back to Germany a few days ago, I was stopped 5 times because of my German reg car and questioned where I was staying and was I within the limits of where I was supposed to be.
    Also I was stopped twice on my bicycle but I cycle at night and I'm usually the only person out with a helmet and lights on a bike in the area so probably drew more attention.

Speak Now wrote: »
    What's with the quoting yourself Betty?

And shaming people in Penny's clothes?

This lockdown has brought the best out in some people and the worst out in others!
    So its ok to encourage people to break the law is it? Im just sticking up for trying to keep our country safe and allowing people to get back to normal. That's all Im doing. If someone thinks they are smart trying to break the rules and thinking they are smart they deserve to be shamed id say bcos they are idiots. I don't need to point that out just read the OPs post.

I had to quarantine recently after a trip to the UK. I was called twice, on the 2nd and the 9th day. Didn’t ask where I was at that moment, but wanted me to confirm the address at which I was staying. And then they reminded me of the requirement to self isolate. But it was a very soft phone call - they didn’t have an interest in asking whether I was at home at that time, and sounded almost apologetic for bothering me

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭StefanFal

Acosta wrote: »
    You're required to fill in a form either online in advance or on the airline which includes the address you're meant to be isolating at . You must hand this to immigration at the airport. If you tell them you're going off on a cycling trip and don't intend to isolate they might not let you in.

I'm coming in the Nordics but I'm Irish. I can put my Irish address on the form. I suppose the question could arise why come for a week when you need to isolate for two? Erm.....New passport, pennys is opened but definitely not biking.

I had to quarantine recently after a trip to the UK. I was called twice, on the 2nd and the 9th day. Didn’t ask where I was at that moment, but wanted me to confirm the address at which I was staying. And then they reminded me of the requirement to self isolate. But it was a very soft phone call - they didn’t have an interest in asking whether I was at home at that time, and sounded almost apologetic for bothering me

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

That's the Irish attitude to Covid summed up in one post

"Ah shure, it'll be grand"

Advertisement