Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Motorbike insurance - tell us your quotes/renewals

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭horse7

horse7 wrote: »
    Anyone got bike insured with Liberty? Just wondering if it covers you to drive other peoples bikes also. I had the bike with axa (principle) before and it covered me for other bikes(full A)

Can anyone with a Liberty policy confirm please?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,344 ✭✭✭nigeldaniel

I have a 3rd party F and T cover and I am not allowed anything else this is because I ride a low powered cruiser. If you go on the liberty website and ask on the webchat you will get the best possible advice. Insurance is just very tricky to understand these days I am afraid it does seem as though it's different with everyone. If someone insures a big bike then I expect cover would be extended to cover similar bikes. once you have two or three years no claims this would also help I would think.

Dan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 627 ✭✭✭The QuietMan

Just received my renewal quote,

AXA €658 Fully Comprehensive.

Bikes:

2011 DL650
    1999 Fireblade 900
    2002 Hayabusa 1300
    2002 MBK Nitro Jaguar 50cc

Aged mid 30's
    Full licence since January 2019
    NCD 2 Years
    Rider Assessment Level 2 (Highest).

The best they can do for me is €650
    Needless to say i am disgusted.

Renewal last year was €480 from Principal, AXA quoted €365 so went with them for the DL & Jaguar.
    Added the Blade in January for €250 extra, added the busa last month for €30 extra.

All bikes have trackers fitted bar the scooter.

I'm heading for CN as Principal can't cover all bikes on the one policy.
    CN previously quoted €513, i need to see if it is still valid.

Edit:

Principal quoted €836 on the 3 big bikes.

As for AXA, i renewed my policy with them for my car on May 1st at a cost of €680, my wife took out a policy with them on the same date for €950

• Registered Users Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭horse7

Has anyone got a rebate from their insurance company due to the Corona crisis?

Nothing for car or bike

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭IJS84

I emailed CN at the end of April asking the same.

I got this response I just left out personal information

"

We are actively working with our insurers on the issues of premium rebates and suspension of cover. Once the Insurers confirm their stance on these, we will be making announcements to all of our customers.

Kind regards"

Carole Nash quoted €560 Fully Comprehensive for all 4 bikes, €90 cheaper than AXA, would people move for the sake of €90 or stay? I've seen a few horror stories about CN on Facebook in the last 24 hours.
    Just received my renewal quote,

AXA €658 Fully Comprehensive.

Bikes:

2011 DL650
    1999 Fireblade 900
    2002 Hayabusa 1300
    2002 MBK Nitro Jaguar 50cc

Aged mid 30's
    Full licence since January 2019
    NCD 2 Years
    Rider Assessment Level 2 (Highest).

The best they can do for me is €650
    Needless to say i am disgusted.

Renewal last year was €480 from Principal, AXA quoted €365 so went with them for the DL & Jaguar.
    Added the Blade in January for €250 extra, added the busa last month for €30 extra.

All bikes have trackers fitted bar the scooter.

I'm heading for CN as Principal can't cover all bikes on the one policy.
    CN previously quoted €513, i need to see if it is still valid.

Edit:

Principal quoted €836 on the 3 big bikes.

As for AXA, i renewed my policy with them for my car on May 1st at a cost of €680, my wife took out a policy with them on the same date for €950

• Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Carole Nash quoted €560 Fully Comprehensive for all 4 bikes, €90 cheaper than AXA, would people move for the sake of €90 or stay? I've seen a few horror stories about CN on Facebook in the last 24 hours.

Well I have a personal (bike insurance) AXA story that would see me go anywhere on principal else just to not do business with them.

And whilst I'd always prefer to pay less, I don't see why you are 'disgusted' with a quote for 4 bikes - 2 of which are rocketships tbh - whilst you have no problem with paying them €680 + €950 for two cars. And I'm going on the premise that those cars would be rather more ....'sedate' than a 'Busa.

#Justsayin.....

Fwiw, 3 bikes here, full comp with C-N for €374.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 7,334 ✭✭✭bladespin

Just renewed with CN - yes, I've heard stuff but I've been with them a few years and find them brilliant tbh.

344 FC 75 excess
    95 Fireblade and ZXR750
    Mid 40s, full licence 25+years, full NCB (protected), legal, gear and personal accident.

It's acutally up a tiny bit on last year (though excess has dropped down a chunk), happy out.

galwaytt wrote: »
    Well I have a personal (bike insurance) AXA story that would see me go anywhere on principal else just to not do business with them.

And whilst I'd always prefer to pay less, I don't see why you are 'disgusted' with a quote for 4 bikes - 2 of which are rocketships tbh - whilst you have no problem with paying them €680 + €950 for two cars. And I'm going on the premise that those cars would be rather more ....'sedate' than a 'Busa.

#Justsayin.....

Fwiw, 3 bikes here, full comp with C-N for €374.

To clarify, i was 'disgusted' due to the fact that the full discounts weren't applied. Yes 2 are rocketships i very much like :D

The €680 for me is with all the coverage under the sun on a 7 seater car worth over 20 grand.

The €950 is also on a 7 seater car in which the policyholder, i.e my better half, is on a learner permit, so no qualms on that, they dropped the prices a good bit to be fair.

That's not bad at all for 3 bikes.

• Advertisement

bladespin wrote: »
    Just renewed with CN - yes, I've heard stuff but I've been with them a few years and find them brilliant tbh.

344 FC 75 excess
    95 Fireblade and ZXR750
    Mid 40s, full licence 25+years, full NCB (protected), legal, gear and personal accident.

It's acutally up a tiny bit on last year (though excess has dropped down a chunk), happy out.

Did you haggle the renewal quote or just take it? If you have plenty of experience of them and are happy with it then as the saying goes, if it ain't broken don't fix it.

I got back in touch with AXA again and requested that the underwriter reviews the quote, they did thankfully and it has been revised down to €550 with all the bells and whistles, i'm content with that.

Which is your favourite of the 2 bikes :D

Did you haggle the renewal quote or just take it? If you have plenty of experience of them and are happy with it then as the saying goes, if it ain't broken don't fix it.

I got back in touch with AXA again and requested that the underwriter reviews the quote, they did thankfully and it has been revised down to €550 with all the bells and whistles, i'm content with that.

Which is your favourite of the 2 bikes :D

Nice one.

I questioned the initial quote/renewal as it was up €14 but they explained they had changes companies and that the excess was way down (I had missed that tbh), I was happy with that so just took it, I might have been able to save a little though doubt it would've been worth the hassle as I don't think it could go much lower (the package as a whole is excellent, would have to go looking for separate quotes etc).

Favourite: The blade every time (bar looks maybe - the ZXR hasn't been betterd in that dept for me anyway), the kwacker was my dream bike as a kid so when the chance came along... Left it sitting for years so covid project is to restore it to something reasonably nice.

bladespin wrote: »
    Nice one.

I questioned the initial quote/renewal as it was up €14 but they explained they had changes companies and that the excess was way down (I had missed that tbh), I was happy with that so just took it, I might have been able to save a little though doubt it would've been worth the hassle as I don't think it could go much lower (the package as a whole is excellent, would have to go looking for separate quotes etc).

Favourite: The blade every time (bar looks maybe - the ZXR hasn't been betterd in that dept for me anyway), the kwacker was my dream bike as a kid so when the chance came along... Left it sitting for years so covid project is to restore it to something reasonably nice.

In those circumstances €14 is fair enough. Once you’re happy with the package as a whole is the important part.

So blade performance with kwacker looks if possible? :pac:

Best thing about this covid stuff is projects getting done

In those circumstances €14 is fair enough. Once you’re happy with the package as a whole is the important part.

So blade performance with kwacker looks if possible? :pac:

Best thing about this covid stuff is projects getting done

Oh yes please, Honda finish would be good too, the standard Kawasaki fixings are a bit, well sh1te really lol.

Yep, the Z was bought as a project nearly 12 years ago, was right on the verge of finishing it out when the first baby arrived and then sadly and to my shame was left to sit, awful really as it was such a great bike.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,624 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Is there such a thing as classic bike insurance? I've a classic car, and a normal car. Can't add a bike to the classic car policy (First Ireland).

Limited miles wouldn't be an issue.

Is there such a thing as classic bike insurance? I've a classic car, and a normal car. Can't add a bike to the classic car policy (First Ireland).

Limited miles wouldn't be an issue.

There was, according to AXA with whom I’m insured and in turn who dominate the market, have said no longer. My blade would qualify if it still existed apparently.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,624 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

There was, according to AXA with whom I’m insured and in turn who dominate the market, have said no longer. My blade would qualify if it still existed apparently.

Carole Nash claim to offer it.

Carole Nash claim to offer it.

Contacted them earlier about it, they wouldn’t admit it but did shave another €40 off my quote. €521 comprehensive for 4 bikes, I dig that :D

The ping pong game on d insurance renewal ended today, thank god. AXA on all 4 bikes €500 fully comp. I paid it on the spot.

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭micknail

Age 32
    Licence: Full A 2 years
    NCD: 2
    Penalty points: 1
    Bike: Yam XJ6-F
    Area: Waterford
    Use: Commuting

TPFT with CN was 520, with Principal 320.

Last year with Liberty was 350.

Does the liberty online calc actually work for anyone anymore?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭Acquiescence

micknail wrote: »

Does the liberty online calc actually work for anyone anymore?

It's agreeable to the concept of offering a policy if I lie to it in a very specific manner.

It's agreeable to the concept of offering a policy if I lie to it in a very specific manner.

Amen!

• Registered Users Posts: 11 fr.jack09

Liberty are giving small refunds on car insurance. Might apply to bikes too, I only have the car. https://libertyrelief.ie/auth?ReturnUrl=%2F

fr.jack09 wrote: »
    Liberty are giving small refunds on car insurance. Might apply to bikes too, I only have the car. https://libertyrelief.ie/auth?ReturnUrl=%2F

They are, my son got €25 on his 125cc insurance.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

Principal offered me TPFT for €226 on an SV650, with zero NCB. Thought that was decent. Model risk, rural location, and a bit mature in years :D

Principal offered me TPFT for €226 on an SV650, with zero NCB. Thought that was decent. Model risk, rural location, and a bit mature in years :D

Yeah from the bill breakdown they sent me for the quote,
    they seem to have €100 quid of a broker fee to play around with,
    so defo worth squeezing them a bit for your saving.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭tico1300

Male, 45 hayabusa, full ncb and Full licence
    fully comp for €317 With principal

• Registered Users Posts: 33,965 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Got renewal notice with CN, age 49, Dublin, full licence and NCB 20+ years, 320 fully comp on an SV1000 including breakdown and legal cover.
    45-50 more than last year on the Triumph Sprint ST. Not too bad I suppose as it's a higher group bike.

Breakdown cover alone is nearly 60 euro, any cheaper options out there?

Broker fee up again a few euro this year too, about 87!

Life ain't always empty.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭Emmersonn

Try Principal. FJR and Super Tenere Very Mature Rider. Pillion cover. Unlimited mileage. Breakdown & Legal cover Full NCB (20 + yrs) €380.00 €20. less than last year.

• Advertisement

Got renewal notice with CN, age 49, Dublin, full licence and NCB 20+ years, 320 fully comp on an SV1000 including breakdown and legal cover.
    45-50 more than last year on the Triumph Sprint ST. Not too bad I suppose as it's a higher group bike.

Breakdown cover alone is nearly 60 euro, any cheaper options out there?

Broker fee up again a few euro this year too, about 87!

They won't let you remove the breakdown cover, so no point in buying 2nd cover imho.

It's the same guy with the same van/truck that'll turn up anyway.

Ode To The Motorist

Advertisement