Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Motorbike insurance - tell us your quotes/renewals

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭howardmarks

37 new learner permit
    0 experience
    €665 with liberty on a brand new Suzuki gsx s 125cc Tpft
    Carol Nash wanted €785

• Registered Users Posts: 5 John2451

smcm01 wrote: »
    I'm 22 years old with a learner permit.

I've been quoted 3k from Principal TPFT for a 2016 Yamaha YBR 125.

Liberty wouldn't even quote me as apparently the YBR falls outside of their 'learner criteria'. They said I'd have to have a full license for at least 3 years before they'd cover me on the YBR.

What should I do? 3k is obscene. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Ridiculous considering my first quote was with liberty €457 TPFT 09 YBR 125 learner permit back in September 2018 I was 23 at the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Mjolnir

37 new learner permit
    0 experience
    Carol Nash wanted €785

I pay less than that on my cbr600 even when I had 0ncb that's shocking

• Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭nigeldaniel

Reading through the posts here I am bewildered by the difference between the quotes people get. I know location and type of licence is a factor but its still a head scratch for me.

Dan.

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭Nerro

Mjolnir wrote: »
    I pay less than that on my cbr600 even when I had 0ncb that's shocking

Couldn’t even get a quote on it with 0 experience :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11 fr.jack09

Was looking at a blackbird for the next bike. Can't get quotes til I have the full licence for a year min which is a few months away. Anyone here go to a 1000cc sports bike or something similar soon after a full licence? Will it be much of a jump in insurance?
    Would like to know what to expect and only liberty do online quotes and they seem to be the highest quote.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 smcm01

John2451 wrote: »
    Ridiculous considering my first quote was with liberty €457 TPFT 09 YBR 125 learner permit back in September 2018 I was 23 at the time.

Christ - that hurts!

Just got my renewal quote.

41 years old
    Full licence something like 15 years
    4 years NCB
    2019 CB500X
    €622 fully comp with Principal.

Seems steep to me, gonna shop around.

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭Philipx

Renewed with Principal couple of weeks ago.

2015 FJR
    Full Licence
    Full NCB

€266 full comp with usual add ons

Carol Nash came fairly close after a bit of back & forth, so not worth while changing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭fenris

Age 50
    2012 Yamaha XT1200z
    Full license
    Full NCB

Carol Nash fully comp +Breakdown and legal - gone up from €335 last year to €425 plus a sneaky increase on my excess to €350

So the very definition of paying more for less

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,646 ✭✭✭BaronVon

Age 41
    Honda VFR800
    2 years NCB
    Parked on driveway

Carole Nash €352
    Liberty €345
    Principal €384

Went with Carole Nash, as I was with them originally. They quoted over €900 initially :eek:
    Asked them to match Liberty, and they got close enough!

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Nordydave

Just checked Liberty for my renewal next month - €1098 fully comp. Any tips on how to get it down outside the usual shopping around?

2019 Triumph Bobber Black
    Full Irish licence
    1 years NCB
    Garaged
    33 y/o

I put my licence as 1 year and 15 years on the online quote - I've had my full bike category A for 1 year this month but my licence for 15 years - It made no difference to price but I assume I should put in 1 year? The question wasn't worded very well.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,757 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

37 new learner permit
    0 experience
    Carol Nash wanted €785

I've found C-N no good for first timers. My SO at 40-something :rolleyes:, got an SV650S for about €370 from Liberty. My young 16 yr old on learner permit on his 125 is €1085, so I'd have expected you could do better.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

Nordydave wrote: »
    Just checked Liberty for my renewal next month - €1098 fully comp. Any tips on how to get it down outside the usual shopping around?

2019 Triumph Bobber Black
    Full Irish licence
    1 years NCB
    Garaged
    33 y/o

I put my licence as 1 year and 15 years on the online quote - I've had my full bike category A for 1 year this month but my licence for 15 years - It made no difference to price but I assume I should put in 1 year? The question wasn't worded very well.

Its asking for the peroid of time you have had your current licence so if you got it say 17/02/19 then you put 1 year, if you got it 17/02/15 5 years,
    The length of time you've been driving generally has little bearing.
    Years licence held and ncb are main factors

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Mjolnir wrote: »
    Its asking for the peroid of time you have had your current licence so if you got it say 17/02/19 then you put 1 year, if you got it 17/02/15 5 years,
    The length of time you've been driving generally has little bearing.
    Years licence held and ncb are main factors

But that would be lie, it's how long you hold a full licence for the category your looking to insure on....

So it will be 1 year when they renew but zero if it isn't a full 12 months.

But that would be lie, it's how long you hold a full licence for the category your looking to insure on....

So it will be 1 year when they renew but zero if it isn't a full 12 months.

Seeing as on the 19th I used the 17th as an example, no it most definitely isn't wrong. 17/2/2019 - 19/2/2020 is over a year. 17/2/2015 - 19/2/2020 is five.
    That would be a year or five as quoted.
    At no point did I mention under 12 months.
    Brush up on the aul reading comprehension before calling someone wrong : )

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Nabidana

Nerro wrote: »
    Yes it is, and following previous posters advice of keeping at insurance category 12 so far didn’t had any issues getting quotes. In any case will update with what i get cost wise.

Hey Nerro.

How did you fare out in the end?

Basil3 wrote: »
    Just got my renewal quote.

41 years old
    Full licence something like 15 years
    4 years NCB
    2019 CB500X
    €622 fully comp with Principal.

Seems steep to me, gonna shop around.

In the end, switched to Liberty after years with Principal. Principal wouldn't budge on their quote.

€533 fully comp.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,686 ✭✭✭horse7

Think Liberty are offering 20% off at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,757 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

got my renewal in the last week - CN, up from €373 to €518.

53, 34 yrs experience , no claims, no points, RoSPA 3 times over.....

I see people in the UK paying less than £100 for what I have... :(

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭Taylor365

galwaytt wrote: »

Who do we have to kill?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭Blondie919

galwaytt wrote: »

Give Principle a call?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭Blondie919

CN wanted me to renew at €321, fully comp (last year was €280) so I rang Principle. They gave me a quote of €275. Rang CN back and within few minutes they came back with €244. I've decided to stick with them another year.

47 years old, 14 years NCB, 2006 GSF650, full licence

• Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭mamax

Renewed with principal a few days ago
    tpf&t for 196€
    48 yo
    tdm850
    Many years ncb and no points etc
    ncb protected, commuting, legal cover, riding other bikes etc etc

I didn't even bother to ring around I just renewed, first time ever

• Registered Users Posts: 3,533 ✭✭✭Beta Ray Bill

Renewed today

Quote off Principal was €949.04 (up €280.27 from last years premium of €668.77)
    Rang Principal and they knocked €87.71 off the premium to bring it down to €861.33.

Rang AXA and ended up getting it for €700 on the button (Fully Comp).

Bike: 192 Aprilia RSV4 1100
    NCB: 10 years
    Living in Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 33,604 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Renewed today

Quote off Principal was €949.04 (up €280.27 from last years premium of €668.77)
    Rang Principal and they knocked €87.71 off the premium to bring it down to €861.33.

Rang AXA and ended up getting it for €700 on the button (Fully Comp).

Bike: 192 Aprilia RSV4 1100
    NCB: 10 years
    Living in Dublin

You know what, i actually didnt know Axa were doing bike insurance, have all my other vehicles with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭IrishGrimReaper

They are also the underwriters behind Carole Nash now and also Principle Insurance policies I believe. Lots of competition in Ireland :pac:

Got my renewal notice from CN €383.01 (AXA) total which breaks down as:
    €216.61 - Insurance Premium
    €10.84 government levy
    €86.02 Broker Fee
    €69.54 Additional covers - Breakdown assist + legal expenses.

It was €362.87 last year (Ageas). I'll ask them to halve the broker fee since they are getting between 20-25% commission from the insurance premium as well.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭Emmersonn

They are also the underwriters behind Carole Nash now and also Principle Insurance policies I believe. Lots of competition in Ireland :pac:

Got my renewal notice from CN €383.01 (AXA) total which breaks down as:
    €216.61 - Insurance Premium
    €10.84 government levy
    €86.02 Broker Fee
    €69.54 Additional covers - Breakdown assist + legal expenses.

It was €362.87 last year (Ageas). I'll ask them to halve the broker fee since they are getting between 20-25% commission from the insurance premium as well.

Why not try AXA direct.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 aalam

Hi

I am a newbie to board.ie, never used before:-( so don't know where to post following?

I wonder if there are any COVID-19/coronavirus related relief from insurance companies.

We are staying at home not using our vehicles so no or very fewer claims? hardly I see vehicles on roads

It is very important for a person like me who is paying 200+ per month to AXA Insurance, not using my car from the last 4 weeks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭PCeeeee

aalam wrote: »
    Hi

I am a newbie to board.ie, never used before:-( so don't know where to post following?

Is there any coronavirus related relief from in insurance companies like AXA

We are staying at home not using our vehicles so no or very fewer claims? hardly I see vehicles on roads

It is something very important person like me who is paying 200+ per month

Not a hope.

Advertisement