Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Motorbike insurance - tell us your quotes/renewals

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34,022 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Remember when we were told premiums went up because of 9/11 ?

This will be the same.

Life ain't always empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

They are also the underwriters behind Carole Nash now and also Principle Insurance policies I believe. Lots of competition in Ireland :pac:

Got my renewal notice from CN €383.01 (AXA) total which breaks down as:
    €216.61 - Insurance Premium
    €10.84 government levy
    €86.02 Broker Fee
    €69.54 Additional covers - Breakdown assist + legal expenses.

It was €362.87 last year (Ageas). I'll ask them to halve the broker fee since they are getting between 20-25% commission from the insurance premium as well.

Kinda sticking with the topic of non-premium related charges,I wonder if anything can be done about the blatant abuse of the adjustment/alterations charges imposed by CN and others.

This stuff is particularly hard on Motorcyclists,who typically,change machines more often than Car drivers.

Anybody else up for a moan ?

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 627 ✭✭✭The QuietMan

Starting to shop around for my bike renewal as it is nearing plus the car insurance is due before it, trying to get a deal, anyway:

30 odd years of age
    full licence
    2 years ncd
    AXA Rider Assessment level 2

Bikes:
    Blade
    DL
    Scooter

Principal: €750 reduced to €700 when pushed €55 broker fee
    CN initially quoted me €1800, when i told them what Principal quoted they reduced it to €563 including €82 broker fee, you that's over €1200 in a matter of minutes.

Both quotes under written by AXA, neither company willing to accept my Rider Assessment.

Currently with AXA for both car and bike, haven't received the bike quote yet but i'd be surprised if AXA don't beat €563

All comprehensive cover.

Last year's cover with AXA was €365 for DL/Scooter, assessment brought it down by €25, cost me €250 to add the blade in January until renewal

• Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭IrishGrimReaper

I spoke with Principal and they done the renewal at €336. Since AXA is the Insurer for both the quotes were practically identical save for principal charing a €30 broking fee as opposed to €86.

I find Carole Nash a bit shady and tried change to Principal last year so happy enough to have done it now. Spent ages waiting to get through to AXA directly with no luck but I'm happy with the price so not arsed pressing it.

In other news my car insurance is due the same day and it's reduced by a whooping €6 !

• Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

I spoke with Principal and they done the renewal at €336. Since AXA is the Insurer for both the quotes were practically identical save for principal charing a €30 broking fee as opposed to €86.

I find Carole Nash a bit shady and tried change to Principal last year so happy enough to have done it now. Spent ages waiting to get through to AXA directly with no luck but I'm happy with the price so not arsed pressing it.

In other news my car insurance is due the same day and it's reduced by a whooping €6 !

I've tried Principal a few times and whilst the price on paper was ok, they wouldn't match the actual cover i have with C-N.

This year's renewal from C-N came out at €518 vs €373 last year. A barney on the phone later and.........got it for €374.

One thing of note: last year's cover was by Ageas, this year it's AXA. Aegeas have withdrawn due to Brexit, so that's one less underwriter in the market.

Also, about €50 of it is Breakdown cover. Now you may wonder why would I forego that, but I have comprehensive standalone breakdown as-is, so really don't need it.

Anyway, that's it for another year: even if we can't go outside the door.....

full licence since 1988
    10yrs+ NCB
    0 points, etc
    RoSPA
    3 - bikes: 05 H-D RK, 182 CRF1000, Aprilia Atlantic 500

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Mjolnir

aalam wrote: »
    Hi

I am a newbie to board.ie, never used before:-( so don't know where to post following?

I wonder if there are any COVID-19/coronavirus related relief from insurance companies.

We are staying at home not using our vehicles so no or very fewer claims? hardly I see vehicles on roads

It is very important for a person like me who is paying 200+ per month to AXA Insurance, not using my car from the last 4 weeks.

Nope, not a snowballs chance in hell.

galwaytt wrote: »
    Aegeas have withdrawn due to Brexit, so that's one less underwriter in the market.

They do realise we haven't left the EU, don't they :rolleyes:

Fecking eejits.

Life ain't always empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭UrbanFret

is that 1890 945 950 number for principal free?

UrbanFret wrote: »
    is that 1890 945 950 number for principal free?

As of late last year, calling 1890 numbers are supposed to be the same as calling a normal landline number.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭horse7

Only 1800 ,s are free.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

aalam wrote: »
    It is very important for a person like me who is paying 200+ per month to AXA Insurance, not using my car from the last 4 weeks.

While you have posted this in the bikes section I can actually answer your question - it turns out that if you notify AXA that you aren't using your car you can put a hold on your insurance. Says so on their Coronavirus FAQ here - see 'Can I suspend my insurance'

• Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭The Nutty M

161 Hayabusa
    10 years NCB
    Fully comp €527
    CN underwritten by AXA

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭Emmersonn

161 Hayabusa
    10 years NCB
    Fully comp €527
    CN underwritten by AXA
    Typical CN ripoff quote. Try Principal.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,687 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Emmersonn wrote: »

It's a 161 hyabusa...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 20 Ago1960

listermint wrote: »
    It's a 161 hyabusa...
    Well spotted lad. :rolleyes:

Ago1960 wrote: »
    Well spotted lad. :rolleyes:

Can you elaborate?

My point was the bike type doesn't seem far off the insurance price.

What's your point rollyeyes Queen

• Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭The Nutty M

Emmersonn wrote: »

It's actually very competitive would you believe. Principal were just under €1400 and admitted they couldn't come close to CN.

And like another person here, I never knew AXA could be dealt with direct for bike insurance as I also have a farm policy with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭tobottherobot

Axa for me... way cheaper than the others. Got some bonkers quotes off Principal...

Bike: 2016 Triumph Street Triple
    NCB: 8 years
    Full Licence: 10 years
    Cost: €445 FC

Pity MCE are gone... at one point I was paying them €230 on a Hornet 600

how did this get shifted out of the motorcycle forum? their will be no traffic on it in this forum.. its been in Motorcycles since 2005 !!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,594 ✭✭✭newmember2

Basil3 wrote: »
    As of late last year, calling 1890 numbers are supposed to be the same as calling a normal landline number.

Oh?...I thought it was a flat 50c min charge or something like that.

Just got my renewal notice from Principal -
    2001 Fazer 600
    2010 FJR
    9+ years NCB
    age 50
    Fully comp with breakdown on both bikes is €333.09 vs €328.81 last year. Axa underwriting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

how did this get shifted out of the motorcycle forum? their will be no traffic on it in this forum.. its been in Motorcycles since 2005 !!
    There are many Motors subforums; arctics, buses, EVs, motorbikes, tractors, classics, etc
    All of them are for motor vehicles and this forum is for insurance for any motor vehicles, also boats and planes.
    If you want insurance for a motor vehicle, the insurance forum is where to go.
    Hope this helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭UrbanFret

horse7 wrote: »
    Only 1800 ,s are free.

I rang principal from my mobile, the call lasted 14 minutes and there was no charge.:D

2012 CBF1000

52 years old
    2 yrs NCB
    €298 Comprehensive.

CN renewal quote €437
    Rang AXA whom both of the above are underwritten by and they quoted me over €700. Got the impression they weren't bothered.

Can you elaborate?

My point was the bike type doesn't seem far off the insurance price.

What's your point rollyeyes Queen
    My point Minty is that I have 152 Hyabusa and a 132 Super Tenere 1200 insured with Principal Fully comp, passenger incl. 35K km yearly mileage between 2 motorcycles Renewed 19 March for €419.25. When the renewal came Principal were looking for 441.75. A phone call reduced it to the above.
    FYI Male , 48yrs, Dull licence 21 years, No points, Full NCB. :p

Neither poster mentions where they live, with a relatively high value bike that can have a big effect.

Life ain't always empty.

Neither poster mentions where they live, with a relatively high value bike that can have a big effect.

Waterford City. Motorcycles are garaged. Both have Meta Alarms fitted.

biko wrote: »
    There are many Motors subforums; arctics, buses, EVs, motorbikes, tractors, classics, etc
    All of them are for motor vehicles and this forum is for insurance for any motor vehicles, also boats and planes.
    If you want insurance for a motor vehicle, the insurance forum is where to go.
    Hope this helps.

Yes I know there are many subforums. But I've no idea who made the move but you've just opened motorcycle to many new insurance questions. It was fine where it was in our old little motorcycle world. Blanket rule application murders threads.

It's spent 15 years just fine where it was.

Silly decision, il leave it at that.

Anyone got bike insured with Liberty? Just wondering if it covers you to drive other peoples bikes also. I had the bike with axa (principle) before and it covered me for other bikes(full A)

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭TheWarChicken

18 y/o 1 year on a1 prov, got a2 permit in feb
    1 year ncb
    Liberty assessment level 3
    Yamaha Enticer 125.
    €277 with liberty tpo
    Compared to last year when it was €1400, that's a pretty big drop, just goes to show how they make up numbers.
    Nevertheless I was fairly happy when that came in, I can only imagine what car insurance would be like.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭nigeldaniel

horse7 wrote: »
    Anyone got bike insured with Liberty? Just wondering if it covers you to drive other peoples bikes also. I had the bike with axa (principle) before and it covered me for other bikes(full A)

Liberty are not as good as they used to be. Bike insurance in general here in Ireland is fast becoming a one-trick poney.
    I have a policy with liberty but they do not give cover for other bikes unless is comprehensive. It is depending on your track record on bikes they can be different with everyone.

Dan.

• Advertisement

so is your policy 3rd F &T or what?

Advertisement