Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

2018 Campaign

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭W221

sharon1986 wrote: »
    So it's no longer 3 54 to pass it in?

Correct

NornIron74 wrote: »
    Injuries*

Also correct lol

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Nhs2018

Injuries*

Lol, well .... they only know about the toe one 🙈

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Shz93

Nhs2018 wrote: »
    Yes. I was awaiting my retest due to injury. So was kind of expecting the call to be my new date.

best of luck!

Anyone else get a PCA pass?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22 Shz93

Does anyone have the number for recruitment and would PMing me?

Shz93 wrote: »
    Does anyone have the number for recruitment and would PMing me?

Sent

Nhs2018 wrote: »
    Sent

You just love PMing people lol

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭SMS19

Always slipping into them PMs

W221 wrote: »
    You just love PMing people lol

Jealousy is a terrible thing! Ha sms... need to rant at someone and unfortunately for you lol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20 mcc212ajc

does anyone know with the social distancing is it still two per room or have they changed it to one ?

One to a room, but last I heard they are only letting people from outside NI stay unless you are able to give them special circumstances.

One of the lads in the July intake may be able to confirm the wording on the pack?

thanks a lot sms. I'm coming up from down south and in the july intake so that's great news. thank you for the helpful reply.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 4thelads

SMS19 wrote: »
    One to a room, but last I heard they are only letting people from outside NI stay unless you are able to give them special circumstances.

One of the lads in the July intake may be able to confirm the wording on the pack?

Yeah it's only people who have no residence in NI who can stay at GV

mcc212ajc wrote: »
    thanks a lot sms. I'm coming up from down south and in the july intake so that's great news. thank you for the helpful reply.

Induction day soon :)

look forward to meeting you w221 and getting stuck into the induction day! 😎

• Registered Users Posts: 45 lmcg1106

Anyone have the number for recruitment by any chance?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 341 ✭✭NornIron74

lmcg1106 wrote: »
    Anyone have the number for recruitment by any chance?

Ring 101 and ask for recruitment

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Nb1234

4thelads wrote: »
    Yeah it's only people who have no residence in NI who can stay at GV

That’s not the case

mcc212ajc wrote: »
    look forward to meeting you w221 and getting stuck into the induction day! 😎

I’ll listen for the accent lol

• Advertisement

Nb1234 wrote: »
    That’s not the case

What way is it?

What way is it?

Last I heard from somebody in the July intake its only people from outside NI that can stay unless you can give them special circumstances. Over hour travel each way seems to be an accepted special circumstance.

What have you heard Nb1234?

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Tashbash

Hi Guys,
    Im waiting on a date for my medical but im nervous about the eyesight test as my right eye is quite bad and I wear glasses. Can anyone remember their medical and can tell me do they make you cover each eye and read the chart unaided or do you read it once with both eyes open.
    I'll pass no problem if both eyes are open but my right eye could fail me.

Also do the letters change each time or is it a static board?

Tashbash wrote: »
    Hi Guys,
    Im waiting on a date for my medical but im nervous about the eyesight test as my right eye is quite bad and I wear glasses. Can anyone remember their medical and can tell me do they make you cover each eye and read the chart unaided or do you read it once with both eyes open.

You have to read a lightbox by looking at through a mirror, total distance is 6m. You read it 3 times (right eye covered, left eye covered, both eyes), each time you read it the lightbox is turned so the letters are different. I don't wear glasses so unsure if you have to read it while wearing glasses or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 4thelads

Last I heard from somebody in the July intake its only people from outside NI that can stay unless you can give them special circumstances. Over hour travel each way seems to be an accepted special circumstance.

At the minute with Covid-19 they are only really letting people stay if they live across the border. It's to cut down the number of bodies on the site

Hi Guys,

You read it with your glasses on. They do have a correction standard published online and I guess as long as you’re within that you should be fine. Don’t be worrying about it. I failed mine initially due to blood pressure but I appealed and eventually passed.

The only thing I spotted in my July pack was the application form to stay in GV. I didn’t see anything about who can or cannot stay other than the 35 mile requirement. I don’t have the pack to hand at the moment but I’ll get it and go through it to see if there’s anything there about non NI residents being the only people able to stay.

W221 wrote: »
    You read it with your glasses on. They do have a correction standard published online and I guess as long as you’re within that you should be fine. Don’t be worrying about it. I failed mine initially due to blood pressure but I appealed and eventually passed.
    But do you not have to read it with your glasses off as well?
    I’m worrying cause I don’t think I’m within that standard with my glasses off. I printed off a Snellen chart and I’m struggling to see the second line down with my right eye on its own. I could so easily get a P and F mixed up and that’s me out. Pretty sure there’s no point appealing eyesight as they’re so strict with it

I don’t even have a date for my medical this will be a long wait haha.

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭MrChew

I’m worrying cause I don’t think I’m within that standard lol. I printed off a Snellen chart and I’m struggling to see the second line down with my right eye on its own. I could so easily get a P and F mixed up and that’s me out. Pretty sure there’s no point appealing eyesight as they’re so strict with it

I don’t even have a date for my medical this will be a long wait haha.

Tashbash, I created an account because I wanted to specifically address your concern and I think I can put your mind at ease.

I too wear glasses and was concerned about the same thing. So, at my last opticians appointment, just before Covid kicked off, I showed her the requirements and asked her advice. You need 6/36 unaided binocularly. My optician confirmed this means using both eyes at the same time. So, provided you can read the second line of the Snellen chart with no glasses using both eyes at the same time, you should be fine. I would imagine they then have you put your glasses on and read the rest of the chart with each eye and then both.

I hope that helps you!

• Advertisement

MrChew wrote: »
    Tashbash, I created an account because I wanted to specifically address your concern and I think I can put your mind at ease.

I too wear glasses and was concerned about the same thing. So, at my last opticians appointment, just before Covid kicked off, I showed her the requirements and asked her advice. You need 3/36 unaided binocularly. My optician confirmed this means using both eyes at the same time. So, provided you can read the second line of the Snellen chart with no glasses using both eyes at the same time, you should be fine. I would imagine they then have you put your glasses on and read the rest of the chart with each eye and then both.

I hope that helps you!
    I really should have googled what binocularly means because I think I had it mixed up with bilateral... If the opticians were open I would have been straight in for advice like you were.
    Thank you so much, I can't believe how supportive this board is. I appreciate the help :)

Advertisement