Advertisement
How to add spoiler tags, edit posts, add images etc. How to - a user's guide to the new version of Boards
Mods please check the Moderators Group for an important update on Mod tools. If you do not have access to the group, please PM Niamh. Thanks!

2018 Campaign

17374767879

Comments



  • Tashbash wrote: »
    I really should have googled what binocularly means because I think I had it mixed up with bilateral... If the opticians were open I would have been straight in for advice like you were.
    Thank you so much, I can't believe how supportive this board is. I appreciate the help :)

    FWIW, I did Google it and didn't trust Google's (correct) definition, so went to my optician. It's mad what this process does to you.




  • I’m lost on the eyesight requirements.

    The attached was taken from their website a while back.

    I have perfect vision in my right eye 6/5.
    My left eye is a lazy eye - With glasses on I am 6/22. Without glasses I’m 6/60.

    I have contemplated laser surgery to get my eyesight without glasses 6/22 in the left eye - but reading on here it sounds like I don’t need to.

    Any help is appreciated. Currently in the 2020 campaign waiting my AC




  • Belfast86 wrote: »
    I’m lost on the eyesight requirements.

    The attached was taken from their website a while back.

    I have perfect vision in my left eye 6/5.
    My right eye is a lazy eye - With glasses on I am 6/22. Without glasses I’m 6/60.

    I have contemplated laser surgery to get my eyesight without glasses 6/22 - but reading on here it sounds like I don’t need to.

    Any help is appreciated. Currently in the 2020 campaign waiting my AC

    So, without glasses, you can only read the top line of the Snellen chart? That would be 6/60, right?

    You need to be able to read 6/36 without glasses using both eyes at the same time to pass the unaided acuity requirement. 6/36 is the second line of a metric Snellen chart.




  • MrChew wrote: »
    So, without glasses, you can only read the top line of the Snellen chart? That would be 6/60, right?

    You need to be able to read 6/36 without glasses using both eyes at the same time to pass the unaided acuity requirement. 6/36 is the second line of a metric Snellen chart.

    I don’t wear glasses. I have never worn glasses. I have a lazy left eye since childhood. It’s perfectly fine cosmetically (no squint etc)

    I have perfect vision with both eyes together.

    My concern is the first line on the attachment posted on my previous post..
    bilateral Vision with corrective vision you need 6.6 in the better eye and 6/12 in the other eye.

    My eyes together I am 100% but if they test each eye separately then my left eye doesn’t hit the mark of 6/12. I get 6/22 with corrective lens


    Without glasses I am - right 20/20 - left 6/60 eyesight
    With corrective vision - right 20/20 - left 6/22 eyesight




  • Belfast86 wrote: »
    I don’t wear glasses. I have never worn glasses. I have a lazy left eye since childhood. It’s perfectly fine cosmetically (no squint etc)

    I have perfect vision with both eyes together.

    My concern is the first line on the attachment posted on my previous post..
    bilateral Vision with corrective vision you need 6.6 in the better eye and 6/12 in the other eye.

    My eyes together I am 100% but if they test each eye separately then my left eye doesn’t hit the mark of 6/12. I get 6/22 with corrective lens


    Without glasses I am - right 20/20 - left 6/60 eyesight
    With corrective vision - right 20/20 - left 6/22 eyesight

    Ok, I see what you're saying. I'm not sure I can help with this one. I researched what the craic was for general short sightedness, as that is where I might fall down.

    All I know is that each eye will be tested independently. How that might shake out in your case is beyond me, sorry. And I expect there's no chance of getting an optician to confirm things for you. Hopefully someone else on here can help.


  • Advertisement


  • MrChew wrote: »
    Ok, I see what you're saying. I'm not sure I can help with this one. I researched what the craic was for general short sightedness, as that is where I might fall down.

    All I know is that each eye will be tested independently. How that might shake out in your case is beyond me, sorry. And I expect there's no chance of getting an optician to confirm things for you. Hopefully someone else on here can help.

    What is your eyesight like unaided for each eye independently buddy?

    If I get laser surgery in my right eye it will take my vision to 6/22 which I believe is 2 letters on the fourth line. Definitely able to read 3 lines down




  • Belfast86 wrote: »
    What is your eyesight like unaided for each eye independently buddy?

    If I get laser surgery in my right eye it will take my vision to 6/22 which I believe is 2 letters on the fourth line. Definitely able to read 3 lines down

    Both my eyes are the same, afaik. I can usually manage the third line down, so that's what, 6/24?

    Do you reckon you'd have time to get the surgery and recover before the medical? I suppose the AC dates aren't necessarily soon, given the 'summer' window Deloitte have given.




  • MrChew wrote: »
    Both my eyes are the same, afaik. I can usually manage the third line down, so that's what, 6/24?

    Do you reckon you'd have time to get the surgery and recover before the medical? I suppose the AC dates aren't necessarily soon, given the 'summer' window Deloitte have given.

    From the JoinPSNI website:

    If I get laser eye surgery will I meet the eyesight standards to join the PSNI?

    Laser eye surgery is usually very successful and is not a barrier to recruitment provided that:

    There are no complications.
    The operation corrects visual acuity to meet the PSNI eyesight standard.
    Recovery is rapid and PSNI do not have strict post-surgery time limits for considering your application. As a general rule the PSNI like to see stable vision for about 3 months with no side effects (post-op) before offering a candidate employment. The candidate simply has to meet the standard when they present for medical. We cannot offer advice on the variety of laser eye surgery options available.

    I am currently in the 2020 campaign waiting on AC. I have an consultation next weekend regarding with optical express so I should have plenty of time.

    I’m also waiting a video interview for prison service and the eyesight requirements are the same.

    Edit- yes the third line down on the snellen chart is 6/24 with corrective vision I can manage a few letter on the 6/18 line




  • Belfast86 wrote: »
    From the JoinPSNI website:

    If I get laser eye surgery will I meet the eyesight standards to join the PSNI?

    Laser eye surgery is usually very successful and is not a barrier to recruitment provided that:

    There are no complications.
    The operation corrects visual acuity to meet the PSNI eyesight standard.
    Recovery is rapid and PSNI do not have strict post-surgery time limits for considering your application. As a general rule the PSNI like to see stable vision for about 3 months with no side effects (post-op) before offering a candidate employment. The candidate simply has to meet the standard when they present for medical. We cannot offer advice on the variety of laser eye surgery options available.

    I am currently in the 2020 campaign waiting on AC. I have an consultation next weekend regarding with optical express so I should have plenty of time.

    I’m also waiting a video interview for prison service and the eyesight requirements are the same.

    Fair enough, mate. Hope it works out for you!




  • MrChew wrote: »
    Fair enough, mate. Hope it works out for you!



    Would I not be right in saying that the eyesight requirements unaided is 6/12 stated in the attached due I posted.. So like myself you fall short of that.

    My concern is paying for laser eye surgery to get my bad eye up to 6/22 unaided only to fall short of the requirements.


  • Advertisement


  • Belfast86 wrote: »
    Would I not be right in saying that the eyesight requirements unaided is 6/12 stated in the attached due I posted.. So like myself you fall short of that.

    My concern is paying for laser eye surgery to get my bad eye up to 6/22 unaided only to fall short of the requirements.

    No, it's 6/36 unaided, binocularly, meaning using both eyes with no correction. The 6/12 requirement applies to corrected vision. I mean, anyone is free to correct me if I'm wrong. But insisting on 6/12 unaided would count out virtually anyone who is short sighted.




  • [PHP][/PHP]
    MrChew wrote: »
    No, it's 6/36 unaided, binocularly, meaning using both eyes with no correction. The 6/12 requirement applies to corrected vision. I mean, anyone is free to correct me if I'm wrong. But insisting on 6/12 unaided would count out virtually anyone who is short sighted.

    This is where I am lost. As unaided binocularly I’m 20/20. My right eye is perfect so both together I pass but if they test each eye independently I fail both before and after laser treatment.

    My brother is due his medical in a few weeks so hopefully have a better understanding then.




  • Belfast86 wrote: »
    [PHP][/PHP]

    This is where I am lost. As unaided binocularly I’m 20/20. My right eye is perfect so both together I pass but if they test each eye independently I fail both before and after laser treatment.

    My brother is due his medical in a few weeks so hopefully have a better understanding then.

    Yes, please post after your brother goes through his. It would be really useful to know.




  • So I think I finally have my head round the eyesight requirements.
    There will be 4 tests and you have to meet the standard in all 4 or it is an overall fail.

    However I don't know if missing one is an overall fail or if it is at the discretion of recruitment.

    Glasses off/Unaided both eyes together- 6/36 or 20/100

    Glasses on/ Aided both eyes together- 6/6 or 20/20
    Glasses on/ Aided Good eye only- 6/7.5 or 20/25
    Glasses on/ Aided Bad eye only- 6/12 or 20/40.




  • Tashbash wrote: »
    Glasses off/Unaided both eyes together- 6/36 or 20/100

    Small correction, 6/36 converts to 20/125. 20/100 is 6/30, which would be a more stringent requirement.




  • Tashbash wrote: »
    Glasses off/Unaided both eyes together- 6/36 or 20/100

    Small correction, 6/36 converts to 20/125. 20/100 is 6/30, which would be a more stringent requirement.




  • Tashbash wrote: »
    So I think I finally have my head round the eyesight requirements.
    There will be 4 tests and you have to meet the standard in all 4 or it is an overall fail.

    However I don't know if missing one is an overall fail or if it is at the discretion of recruitment.

    Glasses off/Unaided both eyes together- 6/36 or 20/100

    Glasses on/ Aided both eyes together- 6/6 or 20/20
    Glasses on/ Aided Good eye only- 6/7.5 or 20/25
    Glasses on/ Aided Bad eye only- 6/12 or 20/40.

    Hi

    From what I gather you need

    1. near vision N6 aided or unaided. (This is the second last line on the chart with or without glasses

    2. Unaided binocularly 6/36 (this is the second line on a standard snellen chart)

    3. Bilateral vision using corrective lens if necessary. 6.6 in good eye and 6/12 in other eye (this is 6/6 or the second last line on the snellen. 6/12 is the 5 line down on the snellen for the other eye)

    This is how I am taking the attached file I got online.

    As you say do we need to pass all four in order to succeed. I pass theee and fail the unaided 6/12. If I get laser surgery I can get 6/22




  • Belfast86 wrote: »
    Hi

    From what I gather you need

    1. near vision N6 aided or unaided. (This is the second last line on the chart with or without glasses

    2. Unaided binocularly 6/36 (this is the second line on a standard snellen chart)

    3. Bilateral vision using corrective lens if necessary. 6.6 in good eye and 6/12 in other eye (this is 6/6 or the second last line on the snellen. 6/12 is the 5 line down on the snellen for the other eye)

    This is how I am taking the attached file I got online.

    As you say do we need to pass all four in order to succeed. I pass theee and fail the unaided 6/12. If I get laser surgery I can get 6/22

    Yeah all your details are correct. It'll be worth a call to recruitment or the medical team to see if you have to meet the standard in both eyes separately. But unfortunately I think you do based on the wording of their requirements.

    I know what its like, I have a lazy right eye and a high long sighted prescription as well as astigmatism. My left eye makes up for it however with glasses I can get my right eye to almost 6/6. I'm still very worried about it and will be booking an eye test asap.
    Laser isn't an option for me because of my long sighted prescription.

    I printed off a snellen chart or theres an iphone app called eye chart HD so I could double check.




  • In short if binocular unaided you are 6/60 there is no way you’ll pass the required standards for eyesight




  • Newbieee wrote: »
    In short if binocular unaided you are 6/60 there is no way you’ll pass the required standards for eyesight

    Who is binocularly 6/60 unaided. Didn’t see anyone state that.

    For me I am
    Binocularly 20/20. My right eye is perfect.
    Bilateral unaided I am 6/60 in one eye whilst the other eye is 20/20.

    If I were to get laser treatment my bad eye would be 6/22


  • Advertisement


  • So glad to be able to finally get my medical over with today. I've never been a fan of those hearing tests haha. Now to just sit back and hopefully wait for a pass :). It will be a nice surprise if my vetting comes back along with my medical.




  • Gonzo94 wrote: »
    So glad to be able to finally get my medical over with today. I've never been a fan of those hearing tests haha. Now to just sit back and hopefully wait for a pass :). It will be a nice surprise if my vetting comes back along with my medical.

    My medical result took 6 days and SMT took another 6 days. What covid precautions did they have in place for the medical?




  • NornIron74 wrote: »
    My medical result took 6 days and SMT took another 6 days. What covid precautions did they have in place for the medical?

    Waiting upon waiting lol. They called yesterday and asked questions. Then asked the same questions today and made me wear gloves and a mask. They said they would bring me back to do the lung test. Apparently they aren't allowed to do it at the moment. They've also cut the number of medicals per day. Social distancing was in place etc.




  • Gonzo94 wrote: »
    So glad to be able to finally get my medical over with today. I've never been a fan of those hearing tests haha. Now to just sit back and hopefully wait for a pass :). It will be a nice surprise if my vetting comes back along with my medical.


    How was the eye test buddy




  • Belfast86 wrote: »
    How was the eye test buddy

    I found it dead on but if I'm honest I don't wear glasses or contact lenses. You stand at a wall and look into a mirror and read of a board with one eye covered, then the other and then using both eyes.




  • NornIron74 wrote: »
    My medical result took 6 days and SMT took another 6 days. What covid precautions did they have in place for the medical?

    My medical results took a week but SMT took 3 weeks and I had to email them to ask about the result.

    Randox who do the SMT testing are also doing Covid testing but with calls not expected to go out anytime soon I can't see you missing out on the next batch.




  • SMS19 wrote: »
    My medical results took a week but SMT took 3 weeks and I had to email them to ask about the result.

    Randox who do the SMT testing are also doing Covid testing but with calls not expected to go out anytime soon I can't see you missing out on the next batch.

    Your SMT took that long because of all the drugs they found in your sample and then they had to wait for your cheque to clear ;):D




  • NornIron74 wrote: »
    Your SMT took that long because of all the drugs they found in your sample and then they had to wait for your cheque to clear ;):D

    Maybe I need to send another cheque to get a place in Hotel GV?




  • SMS19 wrote: »
    Maybe I need to send another cheque to get a place in Hotel GV?

    Make it a blank cheque this time


  • Advertisement


  • Is there anybody on here did the AC training? Has it helped you get a higher score?


Advertisement