Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PlayStation 5 - Now with FAQ in OP.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    I am very much interested in that Dinosaur school game, looks like a Life is Strange game which I love.

What I love about the launch of a new generation is that the quirky titles get a chance. I was really worried when they started with GTA 5 that it was going to be the PS4 with a PS5 sticker and price tag. Some of the more out there titles shown looked to have great potential. Another Horizon? Boring! Show me something new, I think they done a good job of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭Arcadeheroes

There was 26 games shown yesterday and out of the 26 games 8 of them were exclusive.

Spider-Man: Miles Morales
    Gran Turismo 7
    Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart
    Returnal
    Sackboy: A Big Adventure
    Astro's Playroom
    Demon's Souls
    Horizon Forbidden West

I was not expecting to see that many exclusive games to be shown off , so I was very impressed.

Demons souls alongside with a bloodborne remaster announcement was on top of my wishlist.

Astro bot VR was probably the closest thing Sony had to rival Mario so I will definitely be picking up Astros Playroom when it comes out.

housemarque is an incredible development team so I am very interested in Returnal

There was alot to love about that reveal event .

• Registered Users Posts: 9,196 ✭✭✭maximoose

Spiderman & Horizon will no doubt be good games and I'll play them eventually, but neither are really buzzing me. Found the first games very repetitive.
    Returnal has me interested, looking forward to seeing more.
    Ratchet & Clank looked great, I really enjoyed the PS4 game and it looked chaotic in a good way.

Overall thought it was a bit underwhelming. Don't think I'll be buying at launch at this rate.

Who the hell thought it was a good idea to open the show with the Rockstar Logo only for it to be fúcking GTA V again :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,894 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

Astro bot VR was probably the closest thing Sony had to rival Mario so I will definitely be picking up Astros Playroom when it comes out.

Astros Playroom will be preloaded on the PS5

• Closed Accounts Posts: 965 ✭✭✭shaveAbullock

It comes preloaded on every ps5. It's a tech demo to show what the new controller is capable of.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

There was 26 games shown yesterday and out of the 26 games 8 of them were exclusive.

Spider-Man: Miles Morales
    Gran Turismo 7
    Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart
    Returnal
    Sackboy: A Big Adventure
    Astro's Playroom
    Demon's Souls
    Horizon Forbidden West

I was not expecting to see that many exclusive games to be shown off , so I was very impressed.

Demons souls alongside with a bloodborne remaster announcement was on top of my wishlist.

housemarque is an incredible development team so I am very interested in Returnal

There was alot to love about that reveal event .

Seems Deathloop and Ghostwire Tokyo will be timed console exclusives too

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2020-06-11-deathloop-and-ghostwire-tokyo-are-timed-ps5-console-exclusives

Housemarque have moved on from their arcade shooters so I hope returnal will go well for them

• Registered Users Posts: 563 ✭✭✭gibgodsman

So many games said 2021, so there will be very very few launch titles of note it seems, I imagine launch will be full of redone sports titles etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

gibgodsman wrote: »
    So many games said 2021, so there will be very very few launch titles of note it seems, I imagine launch will be full of redone sports titles etc.

Yeah, it's depending on what the launch titles are whether or not it's day one purchase or preorder .

Seems most of the time launch titles aren't great. Switch I think had Zelda so it was a great launch title to have (know it was on the Wii U).

gibgodsman wrote: »

But the release date of the console might be 2021 so they could be release titles.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭20 Times 20 Times

I really hate the look of it.

• Advertisement

Triple AAA game production is so long and expensive. It doesn't make a whole lot of sense to spend 3-4 years making a game and then launch it on a system that's not yet got an install base.

An example is Guerrilla Games. Moving into the PS4 generation they split their team, banged out Killzone Shadow Fall relatively quickly while simultaneously starting work on HZD, a much more ambitious game. By the time HZD launched there was probably 50m units of PS4 sold.

So at launch we'll see a lot of 18 month games, remasters/remakes, cross-gen stuff and indie rubbish.

Due to the spotlight on crunch I think dev times are only going to get longer. It'll take a while for this generation to find it's stride. The narrative is that games will be easier to make on PS5 but i'm not sold on that. It's not like PS4 was some convoluted architecture.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,196 ✭✭✭maximoose

https://www.videogameschronicle.com/news/spider-man-miles-morales-is-a-remaster-and-expansion-sony-clarifies/
    Sony has clarified that Insomniac’s PS5 Spider-Man game announced on Thursday is an “enhancement” of the PS4 original with a “substantial” expansion.

Announced during Sony’s PS5 reveal event on Thursday, Marvel’s Spider-Man: Miles Morales was described as “a new adventure from Insomniac Games,” with little further detail offered.

However, in a new interview, The Telegraph describes Morales as “more akin to an expansion bolted on to an upgraded version of the original title.”

Sony Interactive Entertainment’s EVP head of European Business, Simon Rutter told the publication that Miles Morales would include “major enhancements” to the 2018 PS4 game.

“I guess you could call it an expansion and an enhancement to the previous game,” he said.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,820 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

But the release date of the console might be 2021 so they could be release titles.

They said holidays 2020 release and was there not a tweet from Sony earlier this week that was still the case?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,249 ✭✭✭✭Penn

maximoose wrote: »

You'd have to hope you can buy it separately if you already have the PS4 version (eg. a PS5 upgrade patch for those who have the original and then buy SM-MM as DLC).

• Registered Users Posts: 33,249 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Release is still planned for late 2020 (they need to keep to it for the Xmas market and Xbox releasing around the same time). But given it'll be Nov 2020, some of the 2021 games might be early enough in the year so even though they're not launch titles, they could be out just a few months after release.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 379 ✭✭Mike3287

Spiderman & Horizon will no doubt be good games and I'll play them eventually, but neither are really buzzing me. Found the first games very repetitive.
    Returnal has me interested, looking forward to seeing more.
    Ratchet & Clank looked great, I really enjoyed the PS4 game and it looked chaotic in a good way.

Overall thought it was a bit underwhelming. Don't think I'll be buying at launch at this rate.

Who the hell thought it was a good idea to open the show with the Rockstar Logo only for it to be fúcking GTA V again :pac:

It was the smallest next gen for sure, only horizon and ratchet looked next gen

Wasnt that crazy ps1 to dreamcast/ps2 stuff

That jaw dropping MGS2 moment is probably a year away for PS5

Playable UE5 could have been it tbf

• Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭.G.

I was massively underwhelmed by that anyway, and the look of it too, looks like my WiFi router. I'll be holding off on buying at launch if the line up is similar to what was shown last night. I'd have bought straight away just for Spiderman but since its not a new game I won't bother with that either. 2021 seems to be the time to buy judging by the release dates of anything in interested in.
    Agree with whoever said that about starting the show with a rockstar logo and then showing GTAV :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,083 ✭✭✭The Raging Bile Duct

The Spiderman is an expansion of the original? Nah... I'm thoroughly burnt out on that game. Couldn't even finish the last DLC, I had lost all enthusiasm for it at that stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,321 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

I know it's not a big factor for everyone but the lack of clarity around backwards compatibility is disappointing too. Was really hoping that Sony would give more than just a passing nod to their history and really go for it. They've such a great catalogue across each generation of consoles and supporting PSOne, 2 and 3 would be a huge selling point for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭MillField

They've such a great catalogue across each generation of consoles and supporting PSOne, 2 and 3 would be a huge selling point for me.

Or at least give us the option to buy old PS1/2/3 games from the store to keep. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 563 ✭✭✭gibgodsman

Nah release is 2020, they would be miles behind Xbox if they delayed until 2021 and would lose the console war before it even began

• Registered Users Posts: 1,231 ✭✭✭mutley18

Why all the comments about how it looks? I really dont give a damn how it looks as long as it plays well and sounds quiet! It can be a big dildo for all I care :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,107 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Proud to be the weirdo who thoroughly enjoys that period early in a console lifespan’s where unusual or cool indie games get more attention while everybody waits for the blockbusters to show up :p

• Registered Users Posts: 5,416 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

This answers my question from last night and then some.

Disappointing. I thought it would be a full game but it makes sense now, Spider-man only released 2 years ago. They wouldn't have had the time to create a new AAA game.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭quinnd6

I thought they had a good selection of games but if someone told me they were running on a PS4 I would have believed it.
    I couldn't see a graphical leap at all really.
    The PS4 still looks good to me.
    I'd be happy playing PS4 for another couple of years if
    they kept making games for it.
    The presentation didn't make me want to spend 500 euros.
    There should have been a proper Gran Turismo on PS4 in its lifecycle and not that GT Sport rubbish that I for one didn't want. I shouldn't have to buy a new console to play a decent Gran Turismo.
    Anyway a problem I see coming is if a game like Resident evil 8 is only coming to next gen then we'll have a situation where it comes out for the Xbox one and doesn't come out on PS4 and that's going to make a lot of PS4 owners like myself annoyed.
    So to play Resi 8 I would have to cough up 500 euro for a PS5 or just buy a cheap Xbox one to play it.
    I think I'd buy a cheap Xbox one and have the opinion of screw you Sony you abandoned me too early and I'm not seeing the graphical difference so I'll hop over to Xbox where I can access the game I want to play.
    I think a lot of people who just want to play a specific game that isn't being made for PS4 will have that attitude and that could damage them.
    Being locked out of games that early especially when it's going to be very expensive is a very bad thing.

quinnd6 wrote: »
    I thought they had a good selection of games but if someone told me they were running on a PS4 I would have believed it.
    The PS4 still looks good to me.
    I'd be happy playing PS4 for another couple of years if
    they kept making games for it.
    The presentation didn't make me want to spend 500 euros.
    There should have been a proper Gran Turismo on PS4 in its lifecycle and not that GT Sport rubbish that I for one didn't want. I shouldn't have to buy a new console to play a decent Gran Turismo.
    Anyway a problem I see coming is if a game like Resident evil 8 is only coming to next gen then we'll have a situation where it comes out for the Xbox one and doesn't come out on PS4 and that's going to make a lot of PS4 owners like myself annoyed.
    So to play Resi 8 I would have to cough up 500 euro for a PS5 or just buy a cheap Xbox one to play it.
    I think I'd buy a cheap Xbox one and have the opinion of screw you Sony you abandoned me too early and I'm not seeing the graphical difference so I'll hop over to Xbox where I can access the game I want to play.
    I think a lot of people who just want to play a specific game that isn't being made for PS4 will have that attitude and that could damage them.
    Being locked out of games that early especially when it's going to be very expensive is a very bad thing.

Most third party games will be on the PS4 for another two years or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Markitron

It was a compressed 1080p stream, I wouldn't be so quick to judge the graphics on that. Also did you see the R&C gameplay? They way that was changing the environments with zero loading could be game changer

RE8 isn't releasing on XB1. MS are making their games cross-gen but that doesn't mean anyone else has to

• Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

mutley18 wrote: »
    Why all the comments about how it looks? I really dont give a damn how it looks as long as it plays well and sounds quiet! It can be a big dildo for all I care :D

As much as you love your dildos, if you are paying probably €499 + for something surely you would want to like how it looks a little bit.

I had a similar discussion with a mate who doesn't care about cars as long as it got him form A to B. My response was, so you paid €20,000 of your hard earned money on something you don't care about the look of.

Markitron wrote: »
    RE8 isn't releasing on XB1.

Where did you see this?

It'd be very un-Capcom like to not make RE8 for the two consoles with massive install basis. Why limit your market to millions of consoles when you can target 100 million plus?

• Advertisement

TitianGerm wrote: »
    Where did you see this?

It'd be very un-Capcom like to not make RE8 for the two consoles with massive install basis. Why limit your market to millions of consoles when you can target 100 million plus?

All we have officially so far is this

https://twitter.com/CapcomUSA_/status/1271230735991463938

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement