Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PlayStation 5 - Now with FAQ in OP.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,343 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Varik wrote: »
    Not used prime lately but Amazon have gotten abysmally slow for normal delivery to Ireland, takes them a week to even ship it the order let alone the time it take to get here.

If you were going Amazon you'd probably be better ordering using prime to Parcel motel or Address pal. If I'd to guess I'd say Parcel motel as they're in the North so it'll be in the north launch day and maybe at a locker that evening.

Maybe Parcel Motel/Wizard are quick if you’re based in Dublin or near the border, but it only slows things down where I’m based. I’ve only had one horrendous experience with Address Pal and never used them since so I can’t speak for them.

As others have said, the slow delivery these days is due to the pandemic, Prime delivery has been consistently good for me and it’s how I’ll be ordering my PS5 if I decide to go for one.

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭mcgrath1992

Personally I think it looks gorgeous. Really like the look of it. I'll definitely be getting the disk version as I presume it will still be digital downloads too. I like to have both as a collection in my games stand. Little question though. The games I bought from ps store on my ps4. I Presume they will also port over to ps5 when I move my account to ps5 like spiderman and etc in the library?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 965 ✭✭✭shaveAbullock

I Presume they will also port over to ps5 when I move my account to ps5 like spiderman and etc in the library?

I think it's safe to presume that. The PS5 is fully compatible with the 4 so there would be outrage if that was not the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,262 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

Went back to a few of the trailers today on the PlayStation’s YouTube channel. Made a massive difference to watch them again in 4K rather than the live event which was obviously more affected by bandwidth and worse resolution. Sounds obvious but well worth it before passing judgement.

I’ve little interest in Gran Turismo but my god, the graphics are so clean and the reflections of the light looks amazing (didn’t think too much of it when watching the live stream). The jump from PS4 to PS5 will be a bigger step up than PS3 to PS4.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,193 ✭✭✭christy c

Any guesses on trade in prices? Cex paying €200 cash at the moment for PS4 slim, would be expecting to drop closer to launch date.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,894 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

christy c wrote: »
    Any guesses on trade in prices? Cex paying €200 cash at the moment for PS4 slim, would be expecting to drop closer to launch date.

Prices would need to be announced first to get any idea on trade in prices

• Registered Users Posts: 27,321 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Got excited when I saw that Gamestop are giving €250 credit for a PS4 before realising that it's only against a PS4 Pro.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,655 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

Got excited when I saw that Gamestop are giving €250 credit for a PS4 before realising that it's only against a PS4 Pro.
    Is it the slim one you have?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,816 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

I've got the original PS4 which is apparently worth less than the slim in cex

• Registered Users Posts: 28,816 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Was reading on resetera, but I couldn't find any articles about it to link so will go with that thread
    https://www.resetera.com/threads/ps5-and-dualsense-have-ps-symbols-as-their-texture-its-not-random-dots.226288/

Seems the textures on the console, controller and accessories are made up of the PlayStation symbols

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,824 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

That's, that's.. It's... awesome!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,613 ✭✭✭Gamer Bhoy 89

That's gonna feel so nice in the hands. Can't wait to hold that controller.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭DeSelby83

• Registered Users Posts: 5,571 ✭✭✭EoinHef

Givin the hardware I didn't think it was ever going to be cheap.

I still think it could be somewhere between €600-700. Then between €50-100 less for the model with no disc drive

• Registered Users Posts: 5,532 ✭✭✭WarZoneBrother

EoinHef wrote: »
    Givin the hardware I didn't think it was ever going to be cheap.

I still think it could be somewhere between €600-700. Then between €50-100 less for the model with no disc drive

Isn't the manufacturing costs 450dollars though as opposed to the ps3 which was 830dollars?

It would be a big mistake to price it at 600-700euro I reckon.. They be better off selling it at 500 and taking a big chunk of the market, majority of the money will be made from games and accessories anyways...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,487 ✭✭✭✭Varik

A blue ray disc isn't much in terms of cost but if Sony are making an extra 20% per game and each digital game sold means potentially an additional new sale as that'd be one less used copy in the wild.

I'd say the difference will be 100, but I don't think Sony will try for another 600 console.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭Wing126

Isn't the manufacturing costs 450dollars though as opposed to the ps3 which was 830dollars?

Where did ye get this info?

I reckon it'll be €5-600. €600 max.

On the same note, does Smyths let you pay off gradually up to release, or do they require the full payment up front?

Wing126 wrote: »
    Where did ye get this info?

Bloomberg wrote an article on it their source was "people with knowledge of the matter" :pac:

Difficult sourcing some components may be driving prices higher but only Sony knows the cost per unit.

I think the no-disc model will be sold at a loss to hit an attractive price. Maybe $399 ? Then the with-disc model will be sold at $499... maybe that's a break even price. I really cannot see a $600 system based on their history with PS3.

Personally I have no interest in all-digital. Half my PS4 library are physical.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,931 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

I think the no-disc model will be sold at a loss to hit an attractive price. Maybe $399 ? Then the with-disc model will be sold at $499... maybe that's a break even price. I really cannot see a $600 system based on their history with PS3.

You must be having a laugh, latest leak showing $699 price point

73178_04_playstation-launch-price-699-launches-december-2020.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,820 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Personally I have no interest in all-digital. Half my PS4 library are physical.

I think it's very unlikely that we'll see €399. The cheapest option will be most likely €499 and another €50 for the disk drive version.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,343 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Haven’t bought a PS4 disc in about three years I’d say so I’ll be very tempted by a digital only model if the price difference is big enough. You’d hope the only thing missing from that one is the disc drive, and that they don’t strip other features too to lower the cost.

martyos121 wrote: »
    Haven’t bought a PS4 disc in about three years I’d say so I’ll be very tempted by a digital only model if the price difference is big enough. You’d hope the only thing missing from that one is the disc drive, and that they don’t strip other features too to lower the cost.

What else could the strip? It will have the same CPU/GPC, Ram and SSD.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,724 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

Will they tell us the PS5 is gonna be so good we'll want to work extra hours to be able to afford it?

Will they tell us the PS5 is gonna be so good we'll want to work extra hours to be able to afford it?

Nah, Sony will probably tell you not to bother.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,931 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

martyos121 wrote: »

Unsure why people think the digital version will be the cheaper & stripped down version of the two. I'd actually expect the opposite.

I'd say the digital version will get the larger 1.65Tb SSD , the disc version gets the 865Gb SSD - That's what gives Sony the best monetary outcome here, people who want more games and the bigger hard drive get pushed towards digital only purchases and diminishes the resale market. It also just makes sense - give the larger hard drive to the people who will download all their games.

But even if you want to buy disc's it still requires the same install size on the hard drive.

I can't find any Sony confirmed source on a 1.65Tb SSD

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭JimBurnley

Do we know if you'll be able to plug in an external hard drive for more storage like the ps4?

JimBurnley wrote: »
    Do we know if you'll be able to plug in an external hard drive for more storage like the ps4?

Sony have said there will be a port to install an m.2 SSD
    There should be a list of compatible drives on release.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,571 ✭✭✭EoinHef

Unsure why people think the digital version will be the cheaper & stripped down version of the two. I'd actually expect the opposite.

I'd say the digital version will get the larger 1.65Tb SSD , the disc version gets the 865Gb SSD - That's what gives Sony the best monetary outcome here, people who want more games and the bigger hard drive get pushed towards digital only purchases and diminishes the resale market. It also just makes sense - give the larger hard drive to the people who will download all their games.

The games will install on the drive and won't run from disc though so you use the same space with digital or physical copies so I don't see one having a bigger drive.

Unless that's changed from PS4 but I haven't seen anything to say otherwise. I'd think it especially true givin that the SSD is being touted as a big part of how the console will work.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement