Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Antanov 225 visit to Shannon June 10 2020

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭Fritzbox

josip wrote: »
    Would a 180 have been tough on its non-steerable tyres considering it was fully loaded ?
    An increased-capacity landing gear system with 32 wheels was designed, some of which are steerable, enabling the aircraft to turn within a 60-metre-wide (200 ft) runway.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antonov_An-225_Mriya#Design

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,900 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

josip wrote: »
    Would a 180 have been tough on its non-steerable tyres considering it was fully loaded ?

Fully loaded with light weight gowns and masks. It would have been a long way from it's max load weight.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,865 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Kalyke wrote: »
    I might be wrong, but this was only the 5th time this old bird landed in Ireland. If true, pretty rare, no? Apart from the social distancing, it was great to see the younger ones taken such an interest.

It did 13 runs to the US from SNN in 2010. Hired by an Irish company to get 3000 tonnes of product into the US in a hurry.

Rkeen35 wrote: »
    Where did you see this?

My phone
    maebee wrote: »
    Link please

I can't link to a message on my phone
    tomorrow is friday :D:P

WHAT ? my post was on Wednesday :rolleyes: therefore I don't understand your message.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

AnRothar wrote: »
    Takes too long.
    Far quicker to backtrack.

I got it all wrong. I thought they backtracked and took D2, the taxiway closest to where they did the 180. I missed that they actually backtracked all the way to Alpha.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭Mach Two

whiterebel wrote: »
    It did 13 runs to the US from SNN in 2010. Hired by an Irish company to get 3000 tonnes of product into the US in a hurry.

3000 tonnes of what?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

eastmayo wrote: »
    Got nice and close....some sight it was.

not that close, and it was the 225's baby sister, but also in Shannon, 8th Sept 2018.

Still....

516007.png

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭un5byh7sqpd2x0

No it didn't. One of the 124s might have, but the 225 didn't.

galwaytt wrote: »
    not that close, and it was the 225's baby sister, but also in Shannon, 8th Sept 2018.

Still....

516007.png

That baby is in Shannon most weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭BZ

Fully loaded with light weight gowns and masks. It would have been a long way from it's max load weight.

The aircraft was full the full length and up to the roof with 19g boxes. The cargo of just isolation gowns came in at around 120 tonnes.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,865 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

No it didn't. One of the 124s might have, but the 225 didn't.

That baby is in Shannon most weeks.

Yes it did, because the 124 doesn't have 250 tonne capacity. I dealt with the company that chartered it, they know what they are talking about.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭FFVII

BZ wrote: »
    The aircraft was full the full length and up to the roof with 19g boxes. The cargo of just isolation gowns came in at around 120 tonnes.

And a fine waste of a billion euro given healthcare worker infection rates.

Yes it did, because the 124 doesn't have 250 tonne capacity. I dealt with the company that chartered it, they know what they are talking about.

Then you could have just answered 3000 tonnes of what so.

How come you’re the only person that knows about it so? Everyone else, including the actual people that run the airport have said that it has only visited the 4 times previously, none of them in 2010. I think someone might have noticed it coming and going 13 times.

How come you’re the only person that knows about it so? Everyone else, including the actual people that run the airport have said that it has only visited the 4 times previously, none of them in 2010. I think someone might have noticed it coming and going 13 times.

Why would I make it up? I dealt in my business with the company that chartered it. They had a reason to tell me why it happened, due to the nature of my work They could give me the exact price, tonnes, number of runs etc. It is the only aircraft capable of taking that lift. They also told me they had looked for 747 freighters and the 124, none of which could match the lift.

I saw a newspaper article a few years ago which said it had never been here before. It obviously has. Anyway, believe what you want, it doesn't bother me.

Why would I make it up? I dealt in my business with the company that chartered it. They had a reason to tell me why it happened, due to the nature of my work They could give me the exact price, tonnes, number of runs etc. It is the only aircraft capable of taking that lift. They also told me they had looked for 747 freighters and the 124, none of which could match the lift.

I saw a newspaper article a few years ago which said it had never been here before. It obviously has. Anyway, believe what you want, it doesn't bother me.

Pics or it didn't happen.

It didn't happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,252 ✭✭✭Sterling Archer

In 2010 UR-82060 visited (in no particular order)
    Hamburg Fuhlsbüttel - EDDH, Germany,
    São Paulo/Guarulhos André Franco Montoro Int'l - SBGR, Brazil,
    Zurich-Kloten Airport - LSZH, Switzerland,
    Kish Island - OIBK, Iran,
    Stockholm Arlanda Airport - ESSA, Sweden, Goose Bay Airport - CYYR, Canada,
    Charlotte/Douglas Int'l Airport - KCLT, USA - North Carolina,
    Nagoya Chubu Centrair Int'l - RJGG, Japan,
    Leipzig-Halle - Schkeuditz - EDDP, Germany,
    Almaty Airport - UAAA, Kazakhstan,
    Miami Int'l Airport - KMIA, USA - Florida,
    Novosibirsk-Tolmachevo - UNNT, Russia,
    Paramaribo Johan Adolf Pengel Int'l - SMJP, Suriname,
    Houston George Bush Intercontinental Airport - KIAH, USA - Texas,
    Doncaster Sheffield Robin Hood Airport - EGCN, United Kingdom

There is no record anywhere that shows the An 225 UR-82060 as having been to Shannon, no news stories or similar post, there are records of An124 (can't seem to get the reg) diverting to Shannon and records of some standard An124 flights but that's all

Sadly it seems the poster is incorrect so please don't go telling the story "Well actually it was here in 2010" as it is incorrect

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,900 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

BZ wrote: »

So 130 tonnes below it's capacity then.

So 130 tonnes below it's capacity then.

According to the guy that said it was here 6 times in 2010.

If this thread proves anything it's don't believe anything you read on the internet

• Registered Users Posts: 81,712 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

• Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭DrGreenThumb82

May 2013 it was in Shannon. I went out to see it.

• Advertisement

There is no record anywhere that shows the An 225 UR-82060 as having been to Shannon, no news stories or similar post, there are records of An124 (can't seem to get the reg) diverting to Shannon and records of some standard An124 flights but that's all

Sadly it seems the poster is incorrect so please don't go telling the story "Well actually it was here in 2010" as it is incorrect

You're saying it did 14 flights in all 365 days of 2010? You also seem to be missing China to Denmark in June 2010 where it set the record for the longest piece of cargo. You're right - don't believe everything you write on the internet.

FFVII wrote: »
    According to the guy that said it was here 6 times in 2010.

If this thread proves anything it's don't believe anything you read on the internet

I said 13 times. You prove your point well.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,722 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

It has been in Shannon before alright. An 225 was in Shannon before. Not sure what year but it was here before alright. I even remember watching a program about it and them talking about in landing in Shannon.

AMKC wrote: »
    It has been in Shannon before alright. An 225 was in Shannon before. Not sure what year but it was here before alright. I even remember watching a program about it and them talking about in landing in Shannon.

There's no doubt it's been here before, the issue is how many. I think it was here as well after 2015 but in the early hours. I thought it went though Shannon a lot more to refuel as its range can go as low as 4000km.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,252 ✭✭✭Sterling Archer

You're saying it did 14 flights in all 365 days of 2010? You also seem to be missing China to Denmark in June 2010 where it set the record for the longest piece of cargo. You're right - don't believe everything you write on the internet.

Correct I did leave that out, simply forgot to add it... I never said that's all the flights it did, however it did not visit Shannon,

For someone who isn't bothered people think (know) you are wrong, you seem to have a real chip on your shoulder

I said 13 times. You prove your point well.

I can't be arsed even scrolling back to see where I got the 6.

Or maybe you said 6.

Who knows at this point since you're one of "those" people.

"Shudders"

Correct I did leave that out, simply forgot to add it... I never said that's all the flights it did, however it did not visit Shannon,

For someone who isn't bothered people think (know) you are wrong, you seem to have a real chip on your shoulder

Well seeing as you have no idea who I am, you seem to a complete know all. We all have our crosses to bear.

FFVII wrote: »
    I can't be arsed even scrolling back to see where I got the 6.

Or maybe you said 6.

Who knows at this point since you're one of "those" people.

"Shudders"

Seems big grown up discussions are a bit beyond you, so I'll leave you to your shuddering.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭john boye

It regularly goes long periods between missions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,708 ✭✭✭✭josip

I do find it a bit strange that the An-225 could come and go from Shannon 13 times in a year and yet if you search back on this forum, the only mention of the An-225 in Shannon from that time is the emergency landing?
    Even my wife noticed it when it was in Prague.
    It's not the kind of thing someone can park behind a hangar and hope nobody notices.

Advertisement