Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Antanov 225 visit to Shannon June 10 2020

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

Anyone know why it landed on 06?

METAR was showing 290/07 when it landed.

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭markjbloggs

What is the cost of using a 225 to transport PPE from China relative to the cost of a sea shipment?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭pm.

What is the cost of using a 225 to transport PPE from China relative to the cost of a sea shipment?

I would think its purely down to the time it takes to get to our shores over cost

• Registered Users Posts: 573 ✭✭✭Phoenix3

Would anybody know when it is due to depart please ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,905 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

• Registered Users Posts: 2,713 ✭✭✭MyPeopleDrankTheSoup

absolutey packed with cars down in Shannon, great to see a bit of buzz around. then I went into the terminal after for a píss and it was like an empty hospital. Internet was terrible down there so couldn't livestream. I'd a bad view anyway

https://streamable.com/7eqqg2

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭The_Dave

The recordings of the moon landing were better quality

• Registered Users Posts: 770 ✭✭✭Board Walker

Phoenix3 wrote: »
    Would anybody know when it is due to depart please ?
    10am tomorrow subject to change

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭rodDaly69

I imagine if that changes it will be later as opposed to sooner?

• Advertisement

I'm told Friday now but that isn't confirmed yet

• Registered Users Posts: 13,734 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Qatari royalty needed 2 chillers in a hurry for the Air Conditioning on a new hotel due to host one of the princesses weddings. So they contracted the An-225 to fly them in from the factory in La Crosse, WI.

• Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭BZ

Not departing until 0900 on Friday morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,026 ✭✭✭The_Wanderer

ronnie3585 wrote: »
    Anyone know why it landed on 06?

METAR was showing 290/07 when it landed.

Yeah I stuck to the government guidelines and stuck to my county (I wonder how many breached the restrictions?) and went up the Arra Mountains by Lough Derg to hopefully catch a view of it on approach to Shannon.

You win some, you lose some.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭jogdish

Where is this? Would love to see a plane of any sort land with that view - assuming its all safe and legal. any directions?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,517 ✭✭✭California Dreamer

How sad is this when we lose our sh1t over 1 aircraft coming to Shannon that even the news people are there.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,765 ✭✭✭Comhrá

How sad is this when we lose our sh1t over 1 aircraft coming to Shannon that even the news people are there.

Your post is even sadder. Why does it bother you that people enjoy such an event and show interest. It was an interesting occasion especially for aviation fans and I along with hundreds more had a pleasant few hours in Shannon.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,704 ✭✭✭lintdrummer

I know, it's not like it's the largest aircraft in the world, and the only flying example of the type!

Seriously, of course this was going to generate interest, particularly in the current aviation climate.

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭eastmayo

Got nice and close....some sight it was.

Comhra wrote: »
    Your post is even sadder. Why does it bother you that people enjoy such an event and show interest. It was an interesting occasion especially for aviation fans and I along with hundreds more had a pleasant few hours in Shannon.

That it may but I spend most of my time in this forum so some 30 year old Soviet era bird doesnt really do it for me and lets not even go down the lack of social distancing at the airport based on the pictures that I saw.

My point being that life must be pretty dull if this is what passes for excitement these days.

Must be a very slow news day if the crews are there to report on it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭Kalyke

• Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Ilyushin76

Comhra wrote: »

I wouldn't take much notice of him he seems to be a teenager who ends most of his post with the rolls eye smiles :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭Kalyke

That it may but I spend most of my time in this forum so some 30 year old Soviet era bird doesnt really do it for me and lets not even go down the lack of social distancing at the airport based on the pictures that I saw.

My point being that life must be pretty dull if this is what passes for excitement these days.

I might be wrong, but this was only the 5th time this old bird landed in Ireland. If true, pretty rare, no? Apart from the social distancing, it was great to see the younger ones taken such an interest.

Ilyushin76 wrote: »
    I wouldn't take much notice of him he seems to be a teenager who ends most of his post with the rolls eye smiles :rolleyes:

Yeh thats what I am! Feel free to attack the post.

I stand by what I said on this being the most exciting thing going on right now.

The world would be very boring if everyone agreed all the time. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,765 ✭✭✭Comhrá

Well maybe you've spent a little too much time on this forum. Your enthusiasm for aviation and things aeronautical may have just grown a little jaded. And the social distancing thing. . .don't allow yourself to get addled over it - everyone I saw there today was enjoying themselves. Hundreds of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

The Antonov flight crew have a Youtube channel where they regularly post cockpit videos.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_itQ8eJZ2qZQcu2feXWhDg/feed

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

My nephrew is mad to see we are in Limerick would we get to see it if we went tonight?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭refusetolose

• Registered Users Posts: 28,863 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Lucky fecker!

I'm absolutely mesmerised by the rows and rows of rear wheels!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,682 ✭✭✭maebee

bigpink wrote: »
    My nephrew is mad to see we are in Limerick would we get to see it if we went tonight?

You would yea, take a left at the main terminal and go through the car-hire area. You'll get a great view from there. Bring wellies and an umbrella :). Just home, got soaked but it was well worth it.

Advertisement