Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Antanov 225 visit to Shannon June 10 2020

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭tonc76

Any idea on why it made stops in Kazakhstan, Azerbaijan and Germany? Refueling maybe? Tianjin - Almaty ~3,400km, Almaty - Baku ~2,300 km, Baku - Shannon ~4,500km? Technical fault was mentioned as a reason that it was 24hr or so behind schedule arriving in Shannon. Does that account for the stop in Germany which doesn't show on flightradar interestingly?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭Mrcaramelchoc

Sorry if this was asked but what time is it leaving tomorrow?

• Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭BZ

Fully loaded with light weight gowns and masks. It would have been a long way from it's max load weight.
    tonc76 wrote: »
    Any idea on why it made stops in Kazakhstan, Azerbaijan and Germany? Refueling maybe? Tianjin - Almaty ~3,400km, Almaty - Baku ~2,300 km, Baku - Shannon ~4,500km? Technical fault was mentioned as a reason that it was 24hr or so behind schedule arriving in Shannon. Does that account for the stop in Germany which doesn't show on flightradar interestingly?

It was planned to stop in Leipzig but that was cancelled and it came direct from Baku due to favourable enroute winds.

• Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Snowc

whiterebel wrote: »
    It did 13 runs to the US from SNN in 2010. Hired by an Irish company to get 3000 tonnes of product into the US in a hurry.

This is the first time the antonov 225 has unloaded cargo in shannon any other stops were fuel stops

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,855 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Snowc wrote: »
    This is the first time the antonov 225 has unloaded cargo in shannon any other stops were fuel stops

I did say that it loaded in SNN to go to the US.

• Advertisement

I think you are confused.
    The plane has landed at Shannon four times

https://www.shannonairport.ie/passengers/news-media/latest-news/2020/world%e2%80%99s-largest-aircraft-the-antonov-225-touch-(1)/

Shannon Airport has remained open as an essential service throughout the pandemic handling the delivery of multiple consignments of PPE since the virus took hold in Ireland.

https://www.shannonairport.ie/passengers/news-media/latest-news/2020/world%e2%80%99s-largest-aircraft-the-antonov-225-touch-(1)/

except every night when it closes :rolleyes:
    SHANNON AERODROME (EINN) - WILL ONLY BE OPERATIONAL DURING THE PERIOD 0500-2100UTC DAILY. RFFS CAT 7 SHALL BE MAINTAINED DURING THE OPERATIONAL PERIOD WITH RFFS CAT 9 AVAIABLE ON REQUEST. (12HRS PRIOR NOTICE REQUIRED) ALL PRIOR NOTICE REQUESTS TO THE DUTY AIRPORT MANAGER +353 87 2423371. OUTSIDE OF OPERATIONAL PERIOD H2 FIRE COVER IN PLACE FOR SAR WITH PRIOR NOTICE

https://www.iaa.ie/docs/default-source/publications/pib-valid-200505-@1906-utc.pdf?sfvrsn=ef7a1cf3_462

If there is no fire cover then it is closed.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,855 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

As must the exporter be who paid $3.25M for the charter. Maybe they got confused and dropped it down the back of the couch.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,682 ✭✭✭maebee

Sorry if this was asked but what time is it leaving tomorrow?

11am, according to the Airport Police officer I spoke to there this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭FFVII

maebee wrote: »

Another poster said 9am

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,405 ✭✭✭XsApollo

747F pushing back behind the Antonov at the minute. :-D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,682 ✭✭✭maebee

Sorry, just saw that it's 9 am, according to flyinginireland.com

https://flyinginireland.com/2020/06/antonov-an-225-in-shannon/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,230 ✭✭✭mgbgt1978

Seeing as you're all here....I remember an Open Day/static Air Show at Shannon airport 18 or so years ago (could have been 22 years ago :))

There was an Antonov on display on the day. It was in military spec (green, or grey ???) and people could walk around inside it....and climb up to peek into the cockpit.
    AKAIK there was a Temporary Entrance onto the edge of the Airport close to where Westair are.

Please can one of the Plane-Fans confirm this, and what model it was.
    Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,887 ✭✭✭Storm 10

mgbgt1978 wrote: »
    Seeing as you're all here....I remember an Open Day/static Air Show at Shannon airport 18 or so years ago (could have been 22 years ago :))

There was an Antonov on display on the day. It was in military spec (green, or grey ???) and people could walk around inside it....and climb up to peek into the cockpit.
    AKAIK there was a Temporary Entrance onto the edge of the Airport close to where Westair are.

Please can one of the Plane-Fans confirm this, and what model it was.
    Thanks.

It was a US Air Force C5 Galaxy not a Russian I was in it as well

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

It sure is an impressive aircraft alright... :eek::pac:
    It has a wingspan of 88 metres, 32 wheels and is capable of carrying 640,000 tonnes on take-off.

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭coastwatch

It's going to Kiev tomorrow, so would the route be east from Shannon and over Wexford area?
    I remember on a previous visit, it could be heard long before it was visible, maybe 5 minutes before and nearly as long after it had flown over.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭Mrcaramelchoc

Sorry, just saw that it's 9 am, according to flyinginireland.com

https://flyinginireland.com/2020/06/antonov-an-225-in-shannon/

Damn to early for me.thanks anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Snowc

This is the first time the antonov 225 has unloaded cargo in shannon any other stops were "fuel stops"

Was the company shipping aviation fuel to America :D Malcolm Nason who has photographed nearly every unusual visit to shannon airport the passed 40 years including the first and the last visit of the antonov 225 to shannon has no photos of these 13 flights and the official antonov Twitter group says its the 4th visit to the airport :confused: These flights never happened and the "company "that told you this probably don't exist either

• Registered Users Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭FFVII

Snowc wrote: »
    This is the first time the antonov 225 has unloaded cargo in shannon any other stops were "fuel stops"

Was the company shipping aviation fuel to America :D Malcolm Nason who has photographed nearly every unusual visit to shannon airport the passed 40 years including the first and the last visit of the antonov 225 to shannon has no photos of these 13 flights and the official antonov Twitter group says its the 4th visit to the airport :confused: These flights never happened and the "company "that told you this probably don't exist either

It happened hey, he said so.

3.25million but what it moved and everything else is on a need to know seemingly.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,230 ✭✭✭mgbgt1978

Storm 10 wrote: »
    Thanks Storm. Appreciate the reply. Any idea what year this was ? The missus is a very, very keen photographer and as we don't have any photo's of this, it must have been just myself and Son no. 1 who went for a look.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭fineso.mom

Would anyone know if it will take off toward the Shannon (west?) and then turn or take off toward Tipperary? .
    I'd love to go to a hill near Foynes to watch it but doubt I would see it if it just takes off the other way.
    Sorry if this is a stupid question.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,765 ✭✭✭Comhrá

mgbgt1978 wrote: »
    Thanks Storm. Appreciate the reply. Any idea what year this was ? The missus is a very, very keen photographer and as we don't have any photo's of this, it must have been just myself and Son no. 1 who went for a look.

I believe it was 1990. I was there and it was a very warm day with crazy traffic queues from Bunratty Castle all the way to the airport. I recall walking through the Lockheed Galaxy C5 that day.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,491 ✭✭✭Killinator

I've managed to be at SNN twice when she's been there.
    Once for take-off in 2013, which has ended up my highest viewing vid on YouTube with over 100k and mostly Russians and Ukranians arguing over who built it.
    It was jam packed in the day and I had to watch it from on top of a wooden fence.
    The 2nd time was in 2015 when it was landing late at night and in the rain. Miserable weather but worth it to see it.
    It's a lot quieter an aircraft (as much as they can be considered quiet) compared to the more standard commercial jet.

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭theShire

Storm 10 wrote: »

Wasn't that the air show in the early 90's?

I remember walking through the Galaxy as a child with my cousins and we were amazed!

That air show is definitely up there in my childhood memories, even brought my own kids to the last Shannon airshow in 2015?

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭nimrod86

Anyone recommend where would be best to park up to see it take off tomorrow? (Google maps coordinates or screengrabs very much appreciated!)

fineso.mom wrote: »
    Would anyone know if it will take off toward the Shannon (west?) and then turn or take off toward Tipperary? .
    I'd love to go to a hill near Foynes to watch it but doubt I would see it if it just takes off the other way.
    Sorry if this is a stupid question.

Winds tomorrow mean it will take off towards the northeast.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭lintdrummer

Comhra wrote: »
    I believe it was 1990. I was there and it was a very warm day with crazy traffic queues from Bunratty Castle all the way to the airport. I recall walking through the Lockheed Galaxy C5 that day.

My dad often talks about that day, apparently I was there but if it was 1990 I was only 3 so clearly don't remember it! Must have sewn a seed though because I'm a pilot now :pac:
    The Galaxy must have been an impressive sight, my dad couldn't get over the size of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭HTCOne

As must the exporter be who paid $3.25M for the charter. Maybe they got confused and dropped it down the back of the couch.

It definitely was not here in 2010. We’re not perfect in ATC but we do notice this yolk when it shows. Whoever gave you the info you are working off is incorrect I’m afraid. It may have been the Ruslan, they’re regular enough visitors.

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭masit

Winds tomorrow mean it will take off towards the northeast.

I'd say it will take off the other way. Don't think it would be able to do a 180 at the other end of the runway?

• Advertisement

masit wrote: »
    I'd say it will take off the other way. Don't think it would be able to do a 180 at the other end of the runway?

That would mean about a 10-knot tailwind component. Probably ok if it's departing empty.

Advertisement