Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Season Ticket 2020

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 964 ✭✭✭SecretsOfEarth

Even though I only got a Season Ticket this year, after a few years of to-ing and fro-ing, this kind of leaves a bad taste in my mouth. I can only imagine how long-term ST holders feel.

I don't think anybody would have been immediately marching to Croke Park looking for a full refund, as we all understand how unprecedented and fluid this situation is for everyone, not least the GAA. It's the sneaky, calculated nature of the change to the T&C's that really grates.

It is a slap in the face to the loyal GAA fans and community, with season ticket holders filling seats and building atmosphere long before and long after the bandwagoners and prawn sandwich brigade throughout the GAA calendar.

If they had just come out and said: "We don't know what will happen with games in 2020. Unfortunately, due to the nature of the organisation's funding structure and allocation of income, it will not be feasible to offer a full refund to all Season Ticket holders. A certain gesture will be made to reimburse ST holders, and we hope that they will understand and stick with the organisation through this challenging time", I'm sure most ST holders would be entirely reasonable and accept this. Instead, they worked behind the scenes to try and undermine anyone who would question their entitlements.

Overall, it should be a lesson learned, but it would make one question how much guaranteed income, support and loyalty is valued by the GAA.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭h2005

"With reference to the updated Terms and Conditions applicable to the GAA season ticket, this was seeking to provide greater clarity to the existing terms and conditions for our season ticket holders and not an attempt by the GAA to step back from its obligations in dealing with the matter at hand."

After all the time they have had to think about this, this is the best they could come up with? They must have furloughed the PR guy. I'd like to see them explain how inserting an illegal term provides greater clarity.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,148 ✭✭✭✭km79

That will do me
    Might even snare another juvenile mayo one if people don’t renew !

• Registered Users Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭mayo.mick

km79 wrote: »
    That will do me
    Might even snare another juvenile mayo one if people don’t renew !

I know of numerous Mayo season tickets that were'nt renewed this year, NOT 1 went back for resale. I was sure that they'd at least be converted to the cairde club+ tickets, but not even that.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,398 ✭✭✭irishgeo

h2005 wrote: »
    "With reference to the updated Terms and Conditions applicable to the GAA season ticket, this was seeking to provide greater clarity to the existing terms and conditions for our season ticket holders and not an attempt by the GAA to step back from its obligations in dealing with the matter at hand."

After all the time they have had to think about this, this is the best they could come up with? They must have furloughed the PR guy. I'd like to see them explain how inserting an illegal term provides greater clarity.

That's not the term that's illegal. It's one saying the change the terms anyway they want without consulting you.

It's gives them the advantage which is illegal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,986 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

I didn't get any email

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭SeeMoreBut

How many Dublin holders will hand them back as a result? A tiny if any.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,687 ✭✭✭muddle84

mayo.mick wrote: »
    I know of numerous Mayo season tickets that were'nt renewed this year, NOT 1 went back for resale. I was sure that they'd at least be converted to the cairde club+ tickets, but not even that.

I got onto them about that as i also knew a good few that didn't renew. They said there is a substantial waiting list which has to be filled before tickets go on resale. Its not possible to get on the waiting list either as its closed.

I think when they sold out around 2016 they started the waiting list and then when they realised the demand they thought that's a bad idea and closed it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭mayo.mick

muddle84 wrote: »
    I got onto them about that as i also knew a good few that didn't renew. They said there is a substantial waiting list which has to be filled before tickets go on resale. Its not possible to get on the waiting list either as its closed.

I think when they sold out around 2016 they started the waiting list and then when they realised the demand they thought that's a bad idea and closed it.

I know about the "waiting list" alright! But that's the thing, I don't think anyone got the offer to buy a season ticket that was on the list.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭eamo22

What do yous think about this reduced capacity at Croke Park. Article on rte saying there will be some sort of lottery for tickets. Surely we would be still entitled to avail of our season ticket.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48,148 ✭✭✭✭km79

eamo22 wrote: »
    What do yous think about this reduced capacity at Croke Park. Article on rte saying there will be some sort of lottery for tickets. Surely we would be still entitled to avail of our season ticket.

You can be sure and certain the corporate/premium sector will be looked after first

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭eamo22

You can be sure and certain the corporate/premium sector will be looked after first

If that happens and we are forgotten about I will be looking for more than credits toward next year's ticket.

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭SeeMoreBut

General admission tickets be a distance pass

the hill could be shut. cant social distance if everyone is gathered together.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,923 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

irishgeo wrote: »
    the hill could be shut. cant social distance if everyone is gathered together.

They're considering putting seats on it.

If anything, surely the season ticket holder is more likely to be accommodated rather than setting up an entirely new system to accommodate a new random/lottery cohort.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,687 ✭✭✭muddle84

If I am lucky enough to be in the situation to be going to a AI Final and I don't get a ticket. I want my money back!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭slegs

They're considering putting seats on it.

If anything, surely the season ticket holder is more likely to be accommodated rather than setting up an entirely new system to accommodate a new random/lottery cohort.

It would be mindboggling if season ticket holders are not the first group to be accommodated. Firstly, because they bought tickets and the right to attend in advance and secondly because it solves a problem for the GAA as to what to do with these people who paid in advance (re refunds etc).

slegs wrote: »
    It would be mindboggling if season ticket holders are not the first group to be accommodated. Firstly, because they bought tickets and the right to attend in advance and secondly because it solves a problem for the GAA as to what to do with these people who paid in advance (re refunds etc).
    Exactly. That's my thinking.

The international people who usually attend could be restricted if a travel quarantine is still in place.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,014 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

If that happens and we are forgotten about I will be looking for more than credits toward next year's ticket.

Why wouldn't the premium section be sorted first, out of interest? The season ticket is seen as king here. Well a premium subscription is basically a much more expensive season ticket, for all Croke Park GAA games. It's a hell of a lot less businesses, and a lot more average GAA lovers than you'd imagine that hold seats.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,854 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

The international people who usually attend could be restricted if a travel quarantine is still in place.
    that'll not make much of a difference when they only get approx 472 tickets, and if you look at the number of county boards within Britain, they surely have half the allocation if not more, and they wont be subject to quarantine.

Schools and educational bodies get 2,229 though so shafting them provides a better return on your ticket cull.

in reality, the allocation for Irish counties (including vast numbers to non participating counties) will provide the main way of reducing the attendance, as thats 58,401 of the 71,478 general admission capacity, excluding premium tickets.

Reports already say that the premium level will be reduced with the hit coming from within that area and anyone not getting to attend this year will get a credit for the year after or something like that.

figures from a few years back, but they change little from year to year:
    https://www.joe.ie/uncategorized/where-do-the-all-ireland-final-tickets-go-39259

I really don't think we should be giving a fig about them. They should be so low in the list of priorities that they're barely given a footnote to look at the appendix.

Hulk Hands wrote: »
    Why wouldn't the premium section be sorted first, out of interest? The season ticket is seen as king here. Well a premium subscription is basically a much more expensive season ticket, for all Croke Park GAA games. It's a hell of a lot less businesses, and a lot more average GAA lovers than you'd imagine that hold seats.

You're completely correct.
    I'm not sure why anyone would get annoyed about premium getting sorted first. Again, like the ST there are already systems in place and the ability to segregate is easier.

• Registered Users Posts: 964 ✭✭✭SecretsOfEarth

Echoing everyone's thoughts here, the GAA would be out of their minds to not have ST holders and other scheme tickets as #1 on their allocation list. It's only fair as these people are avid supporters, and GAA have a solid reason in that, if they bypassed these fans, they would have more legal and financial pressure for refunds which would cancel out some of the benefit of even having matches.

Echoing everyone's thoughts here, the GAA would be out of their minds to not have ST holders and other scheme tickets as #1 on their allocation list. It's only fair as these people are avid supporters, and GAA have a solid reason in that, if they bypassed these fans, they would have more legal and financial pressure for refunds which would cancel out some of the benefit of even having matches.

Watch out for the sneaky change of conditions.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭kala85

Will people still go to the games with the Covid still around.

What are they going to do with the premium seats?

All these calculations are on 2m distance rule. If it changes to 1m it could increase the attendance.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭slegs

Hulk Hands wrote: »

Yes, Premium and ST are similar and both should be first to get sorted. Think people are talking about these lottery floated ideas. If ST holders are lumped into a lottery there will be a big issue. In reduced capacity ST holders should be first served and any remaining seats then lotteried. Cant see any other option that makes sense.

Premium is a Croke Park only problem anyway. I expect they will use other stadia where seating can be manged - PuC, Thurles, Limerick etc

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

kala85 wrote: »
    Will people still go to the games with the Covid still around.

I won't. TBH, I've lost interest in attending sports in general for this year. Hurling, football, camogie, rugby.....all of them I'm sorry to say. Family safety is more important.
    All these calculations are on 2m distance rule. If it changes to 1m it could increase the attendance.

Down to 1 meter won't make much difference really. On paper it may allow a bigger attendance but in reality how would it work and how would it be policed?
    Blank off/remove seats? If they do what happens if a family group with kids arrive and want to sit together? What about grounds with little or no seating?
    It's the same for rugby. Connacht are in bother. They have no seating at all except 1 small covered stand.

• Advertisement

kaizersoze wrote: »
    I won't. TBH, I've lost interest in attending sports in general for this year. Hurling, football, camogie, rugby.....all of them I'm sorry to say. Family safety is more important.

Down to 1 meter won't make much difference really. On paper it may allow a bigger attendance but in reality how would it work and how would it be policed?
    Blank off/remove seats? If they do what happens if a family group with kids arrive and want to sit together? What about grounds with little or no seating?
    It's the same for rugby. Connacht are in bother. They have no seating at all except 1 small covered stand.

TBF people adapted to policing queues pretty quickly.

I can't see seats in a stadium being much different. Have you seen buses in Dublin?

Advertisement