Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Slave Trader Edward Colston's statue torn down in Bristol

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,140 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

FVP3 wrote: »
    I didn't say anything about the Brit not knowing their history, however. I am saying the claim that the Irish dont know Parnell of O'Connell is about the dumbest thing I have ever heard on the internet. And I've been around the block.

Parnell and O'Connell aren't even taught in the Junior Cert.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

I mean Colston's statue is a good start but there's a lot more to be done.

All the period architecture from the British Empire's heyday will have to go, houses, museums etc. All the infrastructure such as the tube, sewers, roads, railways - all built on the back of colonialism and slavery.

There won't be a whole lot left by the end but damn we'll feel righteous.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

The city of Liverpool is going to blow their little minds

Penny Lane is in my ears and in my eyes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭FVP3

All the period architecture from the British Empire's heyday will have to go, houses, museums etc. All the infrastructure such as the tube, sewers, roads, railways - all built on the back of colonialism and slavery.

You are jesting but, with the exception of public goods, I think a lot of that will happen, if present trends continue.

heres a list of private ( as far as I know) houses that are legacies of slave ownership.

https://www.ucl.ac.uk/lbs/physical/

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

In communist countries statues were removed when Communism fell. Are some here saying that people toppling Stalin's statue didn't know why they are doing it.

People sre angry and maybe better question is why are they so angry tgey are doing it. And don't just assume tgey are morons who don't know history.

• Advertisement

Exceptions can be made.

They let a bit of steam off.

This story is due to end anyway. A nice ending for the protesters.

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭JL555

He sent the Black and Tans and Auxiliaries to Ireland in 1920 and we all know what they did.

Just to be clear I don't support tearing down or damaging statues but lets call out Churchill for what he was.

He did, but he also lead the British in WW2, the only European nation left to do so at a time when Hitler had blitzed his way through the whole continent, while we hid in the shadows.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,043 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Calhoun wrote: »
    Its a vicious circle and helps drive allot of the bile. Look at what is done in America and how things have gone.

It wasn't the only factor but its helped contribute to the polarization over there.

Yeah but you can't live your life in constant fear of the right. If any opposition to them will make them stronger then we'd just give in to them at every turn. This statue business isn't a big deal. It's fine. Even if the right get cross about it and th general public say "fair enough" to taking down the statue, then it's grand.

When does it become acceptable for me to destroy something I find offensive?

Edgy. Oh no actual, boring.

JL555 wrote: »
    He did, but he also lead the British in WW2, the only European nation left to do so at a time when Hitler had blitzed his way through the whole continent, while we hid in the shadows.

Thankfully as well. Lots of us around now because of that decision to stay neutral.

• Advertisement

There are more people in slavery today than at any point in history; somewhere between 20 and 45 million souls, mostly women.

They won't be getting a march.

No one will be taking a knee for them.

Why? Because there is no political capital to be made.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,381 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

I'm not really sure what we could have done but have to admit I always thought our neutral position was a cop out when the rest of Europe was at war.

Although the British were lucky the yanks joined the fight or they would have probably fell to the Germans as well.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,734 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

There are more people in slavery today than at any point in history; somewhere between 20 and 45 million souls, mostly women.

They won't be getting a march.

No one will be taking a knee for them.

Why? Because there is no political capital to be made.

The usual whataboutery.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 18,189 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Where is the debate about their colonial past? Their media is full of articles about the Battle of Britain, the Blitz, D-Day, VE-Day etc, all of which shows Britain in a noble and heroic light.....the negative stuff in their long history gets largely edited out.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭SharpshooterTom

Flavour of the month stuff I think myself. These people were probably out on climate change protests before the covid19 lockdowns happened, crying after their figurehead, a schoolchild from Sweden. It'll surely be something else in a few months time. I just wish they would pick one thing and stick to it.

Protesting is an important part of democracy, but they very often turn violent and can be very well planned to inflict mass destruction, primal instincts kick in and mob rules.

Problem is with a lot of young people is that they're very good at protesting but not so good at voting.

Millennials didn't turn out at elections for Brexit, Corbyn, Clinton in 2016, Bernie lost the 2020 primaries to Biden because his voters didn't show up.

Change isn't won through protests, facebook campaigns and hashtags but at the ballot box and young people don't show up. Their voting rates continue to be utterly terrible.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,624 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

• Registered Users Posts: 18,189 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

I'm not really sure what we could have done but have to admit I always thought our neutral position was a cop out when the rest of Europe was at war.

Although the British were lucky the yanks joined the fight or they would have probably fell to the Germans as well.

In fairness, very few countries declared war on Nazi Germany. The likes of Denmark. Norway, Belgium and NL were all neutral and were invaded by them.

Even the US didn't declare war on the Nazis (it was the other way around).

Problem is with a lot of young people is that they're very good at protesting but not so good at voting.

Millennials didn't turn out at elections for Brexit, Corbyn, Clinton in 2016, Bernie lost the 2020 primaries to Biden because his voters didn't show up.

Change isn't won through protests, facebook campaigns and hashtags but at the ballot box and young people don't show up. Their voting rates continue to be utterly terrible.

They do vote, but they are just a portion of the vote. There are far more middle aged and older people.

Plus not all young people voter the same way.

FVP3 wrote: »
    A lot of Bristol will have to change if they really want to disavow the slave trade. Not just the statues. It was the major centre. And once again I wonder about the private intergenerational slave wealth.

The excellent BBC "a house through time" tells the history of the house that was built by a slave owner on Guinea street, which is named after the slave trade ( from Guinea).

OK. So what? I haven't heard anyone calling for Bristol,to be sold and given to black people. I think renaming things named after slave traders or similar, is not a big problem. I get that you're trying to use the slippery slope argument to make it seem like an insurmountable issue, but it really isn't.

They do vote, but they are just a portion of the vote. There are far more middle aged and older people.

Plus not all young people voter the same way.

Here's the voter turn out rates by age in the US every two years (including mid terms).

msN2MVVNehagGae7XUCJ5MgmsRahBhVG-zTK6F5xmZCwnIGqw0AKteQoBB4P4XTQ1ZuIOP1NH2kl-ARcgxUnxofzkuNeIZELaP6SzQgajmDoIM7E9i5HMOJwhQl9aSvKbYg_janIRa8kANgRWejuSZgOH9oVd1LZKEYNilIFReA

Slightly higher in the recent mid terms because of Trump but expect it to go back to normal once he's gone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Clarence Boddiker

The progressive left are religious fanatics, extreme religious fanatics.
    The religious instinct is within them and after the collapse of faith in the west it has re emerged as progressivism.

Protest is definitely a route to change. It's hard to know if you're joking or not.

Voting is another route to change and I wish more young people would vote. But people tend to vote more reliably as they age. I really don't think old people would be happier if young people voted reliably.

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭batman75

Are their parallels between the statue coming down in Bristol and blowing up Nelson's Pillar in Dublin? In the sense that what both monuments represented. For us Irish Nelson was a reminder of a colonial past. Colston's statue a reminder of slavery.

My one worry with all these protests is that it is a cover for vandalism and thuggery.

The usual whataboutery.
    Protesting about slavery in modern Africa wouldn't look quite so good on twitter i suppose. Colston was born in 1636. His crimes, while obvious to us, were committed in a very different time, a different context. The abolitionist movement only started about 80 years after his death.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,000 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

I would have preferred it if they'd gone through the route of approaching the local council or whomever has jurisdiction over this but a man like this has no business being idolised like this in the 21st century.

I believe there had been a lot of appraoches to the Council for years

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Protest is definitely a route to change. It's hard to know if you're joking or not.

It can ignite change sure, but if its not backed up at the ballot box the levels of systematic racism ultimately will not change very much.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,625 ✭✭✭Lefty Bicek

Hardly has much choice.

The nutters would probably pull his house down next.

Here's the voter turn out rates by age in the US every two years (including mid terms).

msN2MVVNehagGae7XUCJ5MgmsRahBhVG-zTK6F5xmZCwnIGqw0AKteQoBB4P4XTQ1ZuIOP1NH2kl-ARcgxUnxofzkuNeIZELaP6SzQgajmDoIM7E9i5HMOJwhQl9aSvKbYg_janIRa8kANgRWejuSZgOH9oVd1LZKEYNilIFReA

Slightly higher in the recent mid terms because of Trump but expect it to go back to normal once he's gone.

The point I'm getting at is that the 18 to 30 vote block is much smaller than the 35 plus vote.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,734 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

I believe there had been a lot of appraoches to the Council for years

BlitzKrieg and Duderino have expounded on this but yes, there have been.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,798 ✭✭✭goose2005

Countless royal and English statues were removed after (partial) Irish independence in 1922. Mostly we took the more sensible step of selling the statues to British or Canadian cities that wanted that sort of thing.

https://www.historyireland.com/20th-century-contemporary-history/removing-statues/

A lot of people mentioning Nelson's Pillar; there was also a statue of Hugh Gough ("hero" of the Anglo-Sikh Wars) in the Phoenix Park that was repeatedly vandalised in the 40s and 50s before being sent to England.

images?q=tbn%3AANd9GcR0rZLlAA-wla5fV468qMO6YogBbG4gyjNKid86gNMj3LmEgAUz&usqp=CAU

The "Famine Queen" being removed from Leinster House (later transported to Australia for life)

queen_victoria-2.jpg

Good King Billy on College Green, vandalised repeatedly and blown up in 1928

billy.jpg

Advertisement