Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off Topic Thread 5.0

Options

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 41,280 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

awec wrote: »
    Every pub in the country will be serving ham sandwiches this time next month :D

they will have to apply through the courts for a restaurant licence to get around the "pint with food" angle

https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/rush-of-applications-expected-as-pubs-can-apply-for-licences-to-open-as-restaurants-999309.html

• Registered Users Posts: 5,972 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

molloyjh wrote: »
    Leo quoting Samwise Gamgee is probably the oddest part of this whole thing.

What did he say?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,197 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Yeah_Right wrote: »
    What did he say?

“Boil 'em, mash 'em, stick 'em in a stew.”

I didn't understand it either but that's Leo for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

What did he say?

"If I take one more step, it'll be the farthest from home I've been [since lockdown began]"

Buer wrote: »
    “Boil 'em, mash 'em, stick 'em in a stew.”

I didn't understand it either but that's Leo for you.

It's a good idea to be honest, people who don't listen to the speech will hear about the reference from social media and pick up on some of the rest from there. He's done it a few times now so it's not an accident.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

The next time I see a bunch of teenagers congregating I'm going to think "Sneaky little hobbitses".

• Registered Users Posts: 16,942 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Will anyone be braving the pubs come the 29th?

The next time I see a bunch of munster teenagers congregating I'm going to think "filthy little hobbitses".

Agreed !

• Registered Users Posts: 17,057 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

I had to Google who Samwise Gamgee is.

Sounded like a poet you might see in the Bernard Shaw.

Neil3030 wrote: »
    I had to Google who Samwise Gamgee is.

Sounded like a poet you might see in the Bernard Shaw.

You never saw Lord of the Rings?

Sort this out immediately.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

What did he say?

"But in the end, it’s only a passing thing, this shadow. Even darkness must pass. A new day will come. And when the sun shines it will shine out the clearer."

Thomonds idea is basically the perfect follow up to it. Personally I camt stop seeing this dialogue now:

Simon Harris: I wonder if we'll ever be put into songs or tales.

Leo Varadker: What?

SH: I wonder if people will ever say, 'Let's hear about Leo and the Virus.' And they'll say 'Yes, that's one of my favorite stories. Leo was really courageous, wasn't he, Dad?' 'Yes, my boy, the most famousest of politicians. And that's saying a lot.'

LV: You've left out one of the chief characters - Simon the Brave. I want to hear more about Simon. Leo wouldn't have got far without Simon.

SH: Now Mr. Taoiseach, you shouldn't make fun; I was being serious.

LV: So was I.

SH: Simon the Brave...

You never saw Lord of the Rings?

Sort this out immediately.

Read the books ages ago... at least the first one... think maybe also the second.

Same with the movies. Definitely saw the first two, around the time they came out on DVD. Never bothered with the third.

I remember now there being a Sam character, just forgot his full name.

To be honest, that entire genre, super hero movies, oh and the whole game of thrones thing... giant "meh" from me, I'm afraid.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Whenever I hear Varadkar quoting in these things I just think... imagine if Ireland had ever produced a great writer or poet that might be worth a mention from our taoiseach

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

Whenever I hear Varadkar quoting in these things I just think... imagine if Ireland had ever produced a great writer or poet that might be worth a mention from our taoiseach

I somehow doubt he is writing his own speeches. If he is, someone should tell him to stop.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭the baby bull elephant

Would be a decent tonal shift to say something like 'mere anarchy is loosed upon the world'.

"Death must be so beautiful..." nah, probably not the right message

"If I was dead, I wouldn't know..." nope, can't use that one

"To lose one parent is tragedy to lose both...." nah, may not go down well

"A four foot box, a foot for every..." DEFINITELY not

F*** this

<Opens a Marvel Comic>

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭Panda Killa

Aleksandar Katai, a Serbian footballer playing for LA Galaxy has been sacked because of his wife's racist insta posts during the week.
    I'm not sure how I feel about this .. losing your job because of someone elses opinions....LA Galaxy being seen to be doing the right thing

• Registered Users Posts: 6,199 ✭✭✭troyzer

Aleksandar Katai, a Serbian footballer playing for LA Galaxy has been sacked because of his wife's racist insta posts during the week.
    I'm not sure how I feel about this .. losing your job because of someone elses opinions....LA Galaxy being seen to be doing the right thing

Yeah, that's a bit much.

If it was him, fair enough. But his wife?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,972 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

He needs to Jake the Muss that woman!

In all honesty, I agree. I'm glad that the LA Galaxy are taking a stand against racism but its harsh to fire a guy for what his wife did. If they'd said to him that she wasnt welcome team events or property, I would have said fair enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,197 ✭✭✭✭Buer

A bit more context...he wasn't fired as such. They released him by mutual consent after reaching a financial settlement. There was a major backlash from their supporters; Katai knew his place at the club was untenable. I'm sure he'll be p*ssed off with his wife but the outcome isn't too bad for him overall. His biggest problem will now be finding a club willing to take him.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,256 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

I sometimes think Trump is quoting Finnegan's wake but the abridged version that was translated through Armenian and back to English

• Registered Users Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

stephen_n wrote: »
    I somehow doubt he is writing his own speeches. If he is, someone should tell him to stop.
    Patrick Geoghegan is his speech writer. History professor and broadcaster. And fan of 'The Lord of the Rings' apparently. :)

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Buer wrote: »
    A bit more context...he wasn't fired as such. They released him by mutual consent after reaching a financial settlement. There was a major backlash from their supporters; Katai knew his place at the club was untenable. I'm sure he'll be p*ssed off with his wife but the outcome isn't too bad for him overall. His biggest problem will now be finding a club willing to take him.

Didnt the head of the group that manages the NFL (sorry not too familiar with their setup, but the equivalent of the head of the IRFU?) come out this week and say he was wrong to oppose the kneeling?

As for pubs, I'll leave it a couple of weeks at least

Most looking forward to the broader travel tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 5,922 ✭✭✭jacothelad

Neil3030 wrote: »
    "Death must be so beautiful..." nah, probably not the right message

"If I was dead, I wouldn't know..." nope, can't use that one

"To lose one parent is tragedy to lose both...." nah, may not go down well

"A four foot box, a foot for every..." DEFINITELY not

F*** this

<Opens a Marvel Comic>

"Dúirt mé leat go raibh mé tinn"

Spike Milligan's tombstone epitaph.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

Stheno wrote: »
    Didnt the head of the group that manages the NFL (sorry not too familiar with their setup, but the equivalent of the head of the IRFU?) come out this week and say he was wrong to oppose the kneeling?

As for pubs, I'll leave it a couple of weeks at least

Most looking forward to the broader travel tbh
    Yeah. Goodell is his name. Same guy who castigated them from a height. Wouldn't be paying him much heed tbh. Let's see what the NFL actually do. Words are cheap and all that.

jacothelad wrote: »
    "Dúirt mé leat go raibh mé tinn"

Spike Milligan's tombstone epitaph.

The little grovelling bastard!

A decent sized crowd are at the US Embassy.

I really really hope we don't regret this in a few weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

A decent sized crowd are at the US Embassy.

I really really hope we don't regret this in a few weeks.

Seemed to be a strong attempt to keep it socially distant this time.

Protests right now is really boiling my blood

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,773 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Protests right now is really boiling my blood

If you raise your head above the parapet on Twitter and say this you will probably face accusations of racism from some quarters.

Advertisement