Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off Topic Thread 5.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

And to think this guy was on the Irish Medical Council....scary stuff

After facing sanction by it two years before. Not all Gemroids are poorly educated obviously.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,942 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

I was sort of thinking to myself that this was my last generation of games consoles. Then I saw tonights PlayStation 5 reveal.

https://youtu.be/UPw-3e_pzqU

• Registered Users Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭kuang1

Clegg wrote: »
    I was sort of thinking to myself that this was my last generation of games consoles. Then I saw tonights PlayStation 5 reveal.

https://youtu.be/UPw-3e_pzqU

I already get myself in trouble when I play too much "Last day on earth" on the phone.
    I'd never be seen in daylight again if I got one of those!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,942 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

I see there's going to be an 'awareness campaign' to promote the use of masks and face coverings amongst the general population. I think we've done an ok job containing the virus and messaging has been consistent. But we've really failed to drill home the advantages of mask wearing. There's evidence that mass mask wearing reduces spread of infection, but we were told for so long not to war them that it's taken hold.

Clegg wrote: »
    I see there's going to be an 'awareness campaign' to promote the use of masks and face coverings amongst the general population. I think we've done an ok job containing the virus and messaging has been consistent. But we've really failed to drill home the advantages of mask wearing. There's evidence that mass mask wearing reduces spread of infection, but we were told for so long not to war them that it's taken hold.

I think the reason people weren't advised to wear them was intentional due to the short supply and the more important demand for masks for frontline workers.

Now that supply is upto where it needs to be I imagine there will be a greater push to get people wearing them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Was the reason not that the benefit is only in certain scenarios & even then still not great? And that it can often act as a false sense of security, reducing people's tendency to follow other, more effective measures. Get people away from each other and practicing good hygiene was always the most effective thing. Then when reintegrating into scenarios where we're likely to be closer together more often, introduce masks in those scenarios when they are most effective & when people have the other habits built up.

My wife said she noticed a very big uptake in masks yesterday when doing the weekly shop compared to previously so looks like it's taking hold.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,490 ✭✭✭swiwi_

I think the masks are a crock of shît unless they are the proper ICU masks. The flimsy blue masks that cost 1c from India or China, I highly doubt they are impermeable to COVID.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,626 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

swiwi_ wrote: »
    I think the masks are a crock of shît unless they are the proper ICU masks. The flimsy blue masks that cost 1c from India or China, I highly doubt they are impermeable to COVID.

They're not impermeable but that's not the point, it's not to protect the wearer it's to try and reduce the amount of fluids from coughing or sneezing being exposed to the people around you in close contact situations like in shops etc. Also a barrier to touching mouth/eyes etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

swiwi_ wrote: »
    The Germans have done some research on this and concluded that they reduced transmission by up to 40%.
    For the experiment, the team of scientists from Johannes Gutenberg University Mainz and the University of Southern Denmark closely studied the German city of Jena, which introduced mandatory face masks on 6 April.

The number of positive coronavirus cases recorded in the city fell by 25% over the next 20 days.

The report said: "Comparing the daily growth rate in the synthetic control group with the observed daily growth rate in Jena, the latter shrinks by around 60% due to the introduction of face masks.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Face masks have been obligatory in indoor businesses here since March and everyone follows it. It’s great and really not all that intrusive. I did have one day where I went to the shop and forgot to bring one but it was just about getting in the habit.

If you go to a bar or restaurant and sit outside you don’t need one, just need to put one on if you go inside, for example to use the bathroom. Everyone does it, no one complains and it’s completely grand.

I’m in that habit now so will probably just continue doing it when I come home next month. It costs almost nothing and even if it’s only a relatively small benefit, why not do it

Actually saying that, there are stories about local police being called to remove angry ex pats from shops because they forgot their masks. But that sort of behaviour is the norm in these parts from some of them

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,836 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

prawnsambo wrote: »
    The Germans have done some research on this and concluded that they reduced transmission by up to 40%.
    For the experiment, the team of scientists from Johannes Gutenberg University Mainz and the University of Southern Denmark closely studied the German city of Jena, which introduced mandatory face masks on 6 April.

The number of positive coronavirus cases recorded in the city fell by 25% over the next 20 days.

The report said: "Comparing the daily growth rate in the synthetic control group with the observed daily growth rate in Jena, the latter shrinks by around 60% due to the introduction of face masks.

I don't really understand this one. The number of new new positive cases in Germany as a whole between 6 April and 26 April fell from 3.3k to 1.3k. So that's worse...

• Administrators Posts: 53,556 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Face masks have been obligatory in indoor businesses here since March and everyone follows it. It’s great and really not all that intrusive. I did have one day where I went to the shop and forgot to bring one but it was just about getting in the habit.

If you go to a bar or restaurant and sit outside you don’t need one, just need to put one on if you go inside, for example to use the bathroom. Everyone does it, no one complains and it’s completely grand.

I’m in that habit now so will probably just continue doing it when I come home next month. It costs almost nothing and even if it’s only a relatively small benefit, why not do it

Actually saying that, there are stories about local police being called to remove angry ex pats from shops because they forgot their masks. But that sort of behaviour is the norm in these parts from some of them

Is it not pretty uncomfortable? I had to wear one for like 2 hours when I was in Holles St and it was a pain in the arse. Face got very warm.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭MaybeMaybe

awec wrote: »
    Is it not pretty uncomfortable? I had to wear one for like 2 hours when I was in Holles St and it was a pain in the arse. Face got very warm.

Medical style mask are pretty uncomfortable. I use a cotton one now and it's grand even after a few hours

Podge_irl wrote: »
    I don't really understand this one. The number of new new positive cases in Germany as a whole between 6 April and 26 April fell from 3.3k to 1.3k. So that's worse...
    Well it's not very useful to look at overall cases in the country when zooming in on data from a small area. It would be like comparing Waterford with Ireland. (Just picked Waterford because they haven't had any new cases in the last few days). Also, according to the chart on Wikipedia, daily cases went from 3.8k to 1.1k, but there were many spikes in between of up to nearly 6k on the 9th and 3.8k on the 16th.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,626 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Adidas do a 3 pack for 13 quid delivered, they're the most comfortable ones I've used anyways. Similar material to a lot of their tracksuit bottoms.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

I only have it on for minutes at a time really. Maybe half an hour if you’re shopping. It’s barely noticeable for that amount of time. Forget to take it off most of the time when I go back outside

• Subscribers Posts: 41,280 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Adidas do a 3 pack for 13 quid delivered, they're the most comfortable ones I've used anyways. Similar material to a lot of their tracksuit bottoms.

sold out

They have been "encouraged" here in Switzerland but take up has been on the low side. Nonetheless restaurants and bars are very close to being back to normal.

Well it's not very useful to look at overall cases in the country when zooming in on data from a small area. It would be like comparing Waterford with Ireland. (Just picked Waterford because they haven't had any new cases in the last few days). Also, according to the chart on Wikipedia, daily cases went from 3.8k to 1.1k, but there were many spikes in between of up to nearly 6k on the 9th and 3.8k on the 16th.

Sure, valid point. But I'd just be very curious where their figures for the synthetic control group are coming from given that cases were dropping pretty much Europe-wide from April 6th anyway.

Face got very warm.

Yeah but at least you could role it up afterwards and use it as a tampon.

Warm face. Jaysus awec.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭kuang1

They have been "encouraged" here in Switzerland but take up has been on the low side. Nonetheless restaurants and bars are very close to being back to normal.

Take a bow.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/johnkoetsier/2020/06/05/the-100-safest-countries-in-the-world-for-covid-19/

Sure, valid point. But I'd just be very curious where their figures for the synthetic control group are coming from given that cases were dropping pretty much Europe-wide from April 6th anyway.
    You'd probably have to read the original study for that info. If I were to hazard a guess, I suspect that you have falling numbers due to lockdown measures and then an accelerated reduction in the town(s) that made masks compulsory. And rather than look at the numbers on day 1 and day 20, look at the total numbers for that period and compare.

You'd probably have to read the original study for that info. If I were to hazard a guess, I suspect that you have falling numbers due to lockdown measures and then an accelerated reduction in the town(s) that made masks compulsory. And rather than look at the numbers on day 1 and day 20, look at the total numbers for that period and compare.

Aye, the paper is here if anyone is curious - http://ftp.iza.org/dp13319.pdf

Basically they "created" a control group by looking at other cities that implemented compulsory facemasks at a later date and then created a weighted average of those that mimicked the spread in Jena before facemasks. Then compared the results afterwards. Given the unethical nature of actual controlled studies its about as good as they could do. Probably still some issues such as Jena itself being a reasonably small university town - whether or not students are counted in its "population" would actually have a pretty drastic effect on its infection rate as I imagine many of them returned home.

It is unfortunately commonplace, but the reporting on the study isn't great either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭Panda Killa

So, American boxer Virginia Fuchs gets to fight in next year's Olympics as her positive drugs test was deemed to have been...... sexually transmitted!

Watched this whole thing. Mental. Really well edited.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

Watched this whole thing. Mental. Really well edited.

Doesn't really show the whole side of things though, does it?

Shows a whole lot of looting. Doesn't show anything else.

Doesn't really show the whole side of things though, does it?

Shows a whole lot of looting. Doesn't show anything else.

But if you want a video of pov looting on the ground without context, this is the video

• Registered Users Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

But if you want a video of pov looting on the ground without context, this is the video

But... Why? Is context not important?

But... Why? Is context not important?

I've never been in a riot. I never will be in a riot. Riot's are happening. I'm not condoning them. We live in an age where everyone has cameras. It's incredible that it's possible to view these event like this. This guy couldn't go on his planned holiday so he decided to be a tourist in a riot instead. If you don't find that fascinating on any level, I can't help you. Of course context is important. But this filmmaker choose to leave it out entirely. There's no political message. Just raw chaos. This is what it's like to be in a riot. Whatever little commentary is showing the futility and stupidity of it all. I'm glad film makers are out there doing this.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 6,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭dregin

I've never been in a riot. I never will be in a riot. Riot's are happening. I'm not condoning them. We live in an age where everyone has cameras. It's incredible that it's possible to view these event like this. This guy couldn't go on his planned holiday so he decided to be a tourist in a riot instead. If you don't find that fascinating on any level, I can't help you. Of course context is important. But this filmmaker choose to leave it out entirely. There's no political message. Just raw chaos. This is what it's like to be in a riot. Whatever little commentary is showing the futility and stupidity of it all. I'm glad film makers are out there doing this.

I think this is exactly why context is required.

Advertisement