Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off Topic Thread 5.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,922 ✭✭✭jacothelad

Neil3030 wrote: »
    His Irish is almost as good as Jaco's!

:D:D:D:D:D. There wasn't an Irish option at Methodist College in the 1960s. Just Latin, Greek, French, German, Russian, Spanish, Italian and Cantonese. I'm as fluent in those as I am in Irish....:D I am currently studying Scot's Gaelic for some reason and trying to understand a 'language' called Doric....which has nothing to do with Grecian columns but is a sort of lingo spoken where I currently reside in splendour....:);):cool:

Doric, the popular name for Mid Northern Scots or Northeast Scots, refers to the Scots language as spoken in the northeast of Scotland. There is an extensive body of literature, mostly poetry, ballads, and songs.

It is pretty impenetrable. I am currently in negotiations to buy a house in Co. Donegal near An Clochán Liath. (see:)) near Ailt an Chorráin. I want to move back 'home' but of course now is a difficult time to do stuff like this. I don't really want to go back to N.I. Selling my holiday home near Portnoo was the stupidest thing I've ever done.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

John Oliver's show last night was very very good. But if you don't have the time to watch it, you must at least watch the last three or so minutes. Unbelievably powerful.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

prawnsambo wrote: »
    John Oliver's show last night was very very good. But if you don't have the time to watch it, you must at least watch the last three or so minutes. Unbelievably powerful.

Saw that earlier. That last line from the woman at the end was class.

molloyjh wrote: »
    Saw that earlier. That last line from the woman at the end was class.
    Everybody should watch just that bit at the very least. Although what went before was excellent. Too many people talk about the problems, Oliver went a fair bit further and examined some of the solutions.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭kuang1

I've been following John Oliver, Trevor Noah and Seth Meyers for the last few weeks.

Oliver's probably my favourite as he seems quicker to call foul on both republicans and democrats alike.

• Advertisement

kuang1 wrote: »
    I've been following John Oliver, Trevor Noah and Seth Meyers for the last few weeks.

Oliver's probably my favourite as he seems quicker to call foul on both republicans and democrats alike.
    I remember Trevor Noah recounting how he'd told friends at a dinner party how he sticks both hands out the driver's window every time he's stopped by the cops. And their shock when they realised that he was stopped by them so often that he had a procedure.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,805 ✭✭✭b.gud

I remember Trevor Noah recounting how he'd told friends at a dinner party how he sticks both hands out the driver's window every time he's stopped by the cops. And their shock when they realised that he was stopped by them so often that he had a procedure.

He said something similar in a previous incident of a black man killed by a cop*. He was talking about it with some white friends and they mentioned how the man who was killed had been pulled over over 100, possibly 200, times by police officers. And Noah responded yeah I mean I've only been pulled over about 10 times, it wasn't until he he saw his friends shocked reactions that he realised it wasn't normal to get pulled over so often.

* Unfortunately this is such a common occurrence in the states that I can't actually remember the victims name

• Registered Users Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

Question for those of you living with downright uncivilised internet speeds. OH's sister lives in the middle of nowhere in Tipperary. She's looking to get a (new) internet connection, non-wired. They're currently using Echo who are coming out to site test them for a second connection (for work reasons). Echo's best deal is €63.50 p/month for 6mb down/2mb. This strikes me as not a very good deal.

Now, I know next to nothing about what is ordinary or not about internet speeds outside the Pale, or about non-wired connections. Some of my work colleagues were paying approx 45e a month for approx 7-12mb lines in similar geographical situations with Vodafone "at home" wireless.

Anyone have any experience in what to avoid when it comes to these kind of wireless situations?

Question for those of you living with downright uncivilised internet speeds. OH's sister lives in the middle of nowhere in Tipperary. She's looking to get a (new) internet connection, non-wired. They're currently using Echo who are coming out to site test them for a second connection (for work reasons). Echo's best deal is €63.50 p/month for 6mb down/2mb. This strikes me as not a very good deal.

Now, I know next to nothing about what is ordinary or not about internet speeds outside the Pale, or about non-wired connections. Some of my work colleagues were paying approx 45e a month for approx 7-12mb lines in similar geographical situations with Vodafone "at home" wireless.

Anyone have any experience in what to avoid when it comes to these kind of wireless situations?
    I consider most of those 'wireless' providers to be rip-off merchants. They are basically giving you a link to a cell tower on 3G or 4G. This is something you can do yourself, either with a contract with Three or similar or with your own 4G router, an external aerial for it and the SIM card of your choice depending on location.

Start by checking the Comreg Siteviewer (Google will find it for you) and you can then check what's your nearest 3G/4G cell tower. I think Three are currently giving you a router and SIM at €20 a month for the first six months and €30 a month thereafter for a 24 month contract.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

Start by checking the Comreg Siteviewer (Google will find it for you) and you can then check what's your nearest 3G/4G cell tower. I think Three are currently giving you a router and SIM at €20 a month for the first six months and €30 a month thereafter for a 24 month contract.

Actually doing this right now to see what providers are doing for the nearest 4G tower. If it was me, I'd do that. However, I'd be more technically minded and getting a provider deal (albeit more expensive as you say) might be the better option overall. But I'm going to look into it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Two days under 10 new cases. Hopefully it stays that way for the coming weeks.

Actually doing this right now to see what providers are doing for the nearest 4G tower. If it was me, I'd do that. However, I'd be more technically minded and getting a provider deal (albeit more expensive as you say) might be the better option overall. But I'm going to look into it.
    I haven't checked the other 4G broadband providers lately, in the past they were extremely parsimonious with data limits. Probably much better now, but I know Three allow up to 750Gb a month.

Things to check for are distance to mast and any hills or other obstacles in the way. You'll get a decent enough signal within 7-8Km of the mast. The external aerial is just a low cost job that will fix to the outside of a window with a sucker clamp. The routers usually come with basic antenna. Very straightforward to set up. I've been using this kind of internet access for about five years now.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

We live in a semi-rural location, Eir "BB" is a joke - we are just far enough from the exchange that they have the cheek to call it broadband, but far enough that our house and a few others are left out of the current upgrade work - they stop 200m either side of us.
    Have been using Vodafone 4G for last 3 years - speed is fine for streaming, but maybe not for gaming (I wouldn't know). Neighbours have same provider but don't enjoy same speeds, so line of sight to mast is definitely important. Think we're paying 40pm for 300GB limit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭MaybeMaybe

City living is great. I just did a speed test and got 980Mbps down 310 Mbps up

• Registered Users Posts: 12,604 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

MaybeMaybe wrote: »
    City living is great. I just did a speed test and got 980Mbps down 310 Mbps up

Nice. Where do you mind me asking? I live city centre but it seems most Siro is newer developments outside the cc.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,052 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

jacothelad wrote: »
    :D:D:D:D:D. There wasn't an Irish option at Methodist College in the 1960s. Just Latin, Greek, French, German, Russian, Spanish, Italian and Cantonese. I'm as fluent in those as I am in Irish....:D I am currently studying Scot's Gaelic for some reason and trying to understand a 'language' called Doric....which has nothing to do with Grecian columns but is a sort of lingo spoken where I currently reside in splendour....:);):cool:

Doric, the popular name for Mid Northern Scots or Northeast Scots, refers to the Scots language as spoken in the northeast of Scotland. There is an extensive body of literature, mostly poetry, ballads, and songs.

It is pretty impenetrable. I am currently in negotiations to buy a house in Co. Donegal near An Clochán Liath. (see:)) near Ailt an Chorráin. I want to move back 'home' but of course now is a difficult time to do stuff like this. I don't really want to go back to N.I. Selling my holiday home near Portnoo was the stupidest thing I've ever done.

How about Italy, would you ever consider moving back there? The wife and I have always had an eye toward retiring in either the Puglia region or near Como.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭MaybeMaybe

errlloyd wrote: »
    Nice. Where do you mind me asking? I live city centre but it seems most Siro is newer developments outside the cc.

Somewhere in Central Europe.

How about Italy, would you ever consider moving back there? The wife and I have always had an eye toward retiring in either the Puglia region or near Como.

I could never imagine living outside of Ireland permanently, but I'm thinking of retiring to Mayo so it's practically a different country.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,052 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

I could never imagine living outside of Ireland permanently, but I'm thinking of retiring to Mayo so it's practically a different country.

I initially left, like many others, out of necessity. It then took me about five to seven years living outside of Ireland to know that I'd never want to live there (in Ireland) permanently. Not a knock on Ireland by any means, I just have such a wider selection of places I'm now familiar with, I speak the language, I know people, etc. I'd never rule anything out in life, but life in Germany and retirement in Italy is now the way I'm leaning.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,723 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

BT promoting the Fury v Joshua flight, Fury thanking Daniel Kinahan. Fairly jarring.

https://twitter.com/BTSportBoxing/status/1270731771471151104

• Advertisement

Eod100 wrote: »
    BT promoting the Fury v Joshua flight, Fury thanking Daniel Kinahan. Fairly jarring.

https://twitter.com/BTSportBoxing/status/1270731771471151104
    I think you'll find (if you can bear to look) that he thanked Daniel Kinnerhan.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,723 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

I think you'll find (if you can bear to look) that he thanked Daniel Kinnerhan.

Yup that's how he spelled it too. A cynic would suggest it was to stop someone finding negative coverage..

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Probably late to the party but I see Trump is still excelling at distraction. The media are all talking about a disgraceful tweet about the protester who hit his head, a tweet that his cult followers won't care about, and not discussing the still climbing death toll from Covid 19. He gets away this so often it's incredible.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,922 ✭✭✭jacothelad

If I was younger I would. It was one of the places that I discussed with my wife about 10 years ago but her parents were still alive and she couldn't really leave them. They had moved to N.I.from Scotland to be close to her in the 1980s so we were honour bound to them. They were lovely anyway and it was an easy decision.

We discussed a move to be near Lake Garda where one of my fellow lecturers and good friend had gone when she inherited a fortune in 1998 and I would have gone in a heart beat. When I was a kid in the 1950s I spent a few summer holidays there in or near a place called Lido di Lonato (or Lonado.Not sure ) and Portese San Felice (?) . We drove all the way there and back 3 times to that area in our Rover 90 and I have wonderful memories of a different, more relaxed and slower world that existed in those days. We also spent time around Lakes Como, Lugano and Maggiore too. Italy is wonderful. Such culture, class and vivacity in everyday life. Sadly the move was not in the stars. As I have got older the call of Ireland has got more and more magnetic. Maybe it is a case of missing what you can't have but it is a rising desire.

• Administrators Posts: 53,556 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

jacothelad wrote: »

I'd never move back. Honestly don't miss it at all.

Don't know what it is about the place but I get fed up pretty quickly when I'm up north.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,836 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Zzippy wrote: »
    Probably late to the party but I see Trump is still excelling at distraction. The media are all talking about a disgraceful tweet about the protester who hit his head, a tweet that his cult followers won't care about, and not discussing the still climbing death toll from Covid 19. He gets away this so often it's incredible.

They won't care about Covid either.

I don't think he excels at distraction - I think he has no attention span to speak of and repeatedly spews at appalling things. It just happens to work out this way. As it is, the tweet is doing a fair bit of damage among those it actually can impact. Pretty much no one outside of the just plain crazy OAN is viewing it well.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,214 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

Podge_irl wrote: »
    They won't care about Covid either.

I don't think he excels at distraction - I think he has no attention span to speak of and repeatedly spews at appalling things. It just happens to work out this way. As it is, the tweet is doing a fair bit of damage among those it actually can impact. Pretty much no one outside of the just plain crazy OAN is viewing it well.

Agreed. There’s a bit of a perception that trump is a political genius. In reality he won a hate both sides election against an opponent who had been attacked for thirty years after two democratic terms on the basis of 100k voters in three swing states and losing the popular vote by a few million.

On current polls he’s a massive outsider in November and Biden is a bad match up for him. Biden has been around forever and whatever people think of him is fairly locked in at this stage.

Trump’s support amongst republicans is huge (higher than any republican in at least two decades according to polling) which sounds good at first but means he can’t make up any ground from his base, needs Independents to make up ground and it’s hard to see how anything he has done the last four years or is doing helps with Independents.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,214 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

Eamon Ryan used the n word in the Dáil, quoting an article in a speech on racial inequality on Ireland. Obviously shouldn’t have done it and fairly dumb but Jesus the reaction of the twitter woke brigade is so OTT. They know it was simply an error of judgment and that he’s not actually racist but still demanding his resignation etc. Total lunacy.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,942 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Ryan should've had the cop on not to use the word. There are some words that are just so negative that you simply can't say. But he was highlighting a serious point about racial inequality and all people can talk about is the word he quoted from an interview rather than its content. The priorities of the people calling for his resignation are completely askew.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭Panda Killa

And to think this guy was on the Irish Medical Council....scary stuff

Advertisement