Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[Cancelled] "Black lives matter" march 6th June 2020

• 02-06-2020 1:52pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭

An Anti-Racism demonstration has been organised Saturday, 6 June at 2pm in Eyre Square. Take all necessary precautions

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭Rodney Bathgate

Thanks, will avoid Galway that day.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭irishgrover

In any normal circumstance I would go, and I would bring my family.
    However, I totally disagree with people doing this in the middle of a pandemic. I think it is a threat to public health and regardless of the cause it is not appropriate to do at this time in this country

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭owlbethere

What happened to George Floyd was unfortunate but it had nothing to do with the colour of his skin. George was a victim of a power hungry pig headed cop who got out of hand restraining him. It had nothing to do with the colour of his skin and racism.

What are you hoping to achieve by this rally in Galway on Saturday? There's action being taken against that cop in America. What good will a rally in Galway do at this point in time? What do you want our government to do about that cop in America. Do you want a national day of mourning?

Theres still that virus going about. There was a parade in Philadelpia during the Spanish flu and cases of the Spanish flu exploded after that parade. Our St Patricks day parades were cancelled to discourage crowds. I don't want cases of Covid19 to explode in Galway from crowds gathering.

There's talk about opening up an online book of condolences? Can you sign that or will the activists not get enough attention signing an online book of condolences?

Ireland has stepped up in so many ways over the past few months. We had something beautiful where people came out and clapped for HSE, similar to the NHS clapping that happens every thrusday night at 8pm.

Can a similar movement happen here in relation this if people feel the need to do something? Pick a date and a time and stand outside and get it filmed.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,215 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Absolute nonsense
    Will avoid the city and advise other to do likewise

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 621 ✭✭✭Slim Charles

A collection of morons and idiots.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,802 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Who is organising the meeting?

An Anti-Racism demonstration has been organised Saturday, 6 June at 2pm in Eyre Square. Take all necessary precautions

Please don't do this. There is a pandemic.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭thecretinhop

I'm reporting this to the guards this is absolute madness! Virtue signalling clowns

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭bocaman

Having any kind of demonstration now would be counter productive. Just an idea, why not get everyone to post a photograph of themselves online holding a banner saying "Black Lives Matter." That way you're showing solidarity.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

Community murder basically. Good job guys.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

owlbethere wrote: »
    What happened to George Floyd was unfortunate but it had nothing to do with the colour of his skin. George was a victim of a power hungry pig headed cop who got out of hand restraining him. It had nothing to do with the colour of his skin and racism.

What are you hoping to achieve by this rally in Galway on Saturday? There's action being taken against that cop in America. What good will a rally in Galway do at this point in time? What do you want our government to do about that cop in America. Do you want a national day of mourning?

Theres still that virus going about. There was a parade in Philadelpia during the Spanish flu and cases of the Spanish flu exploded after that parade. Our St Patricks day parades were cancelled to discourage crowds. I don't want cases of Covid19 to explode in Galway from crowds gathering.

There's talk about opening up an online book of condolences? Can you sign that or will the activists not get enough attention signing an online book of condolences?

Ireland has stepped up in so many ways over the past few months. We had something beautiful where people came out and clapped for HSE, similar to the NHS clapping that happens every thrusday night at 8pm.

Can a similar movement happen here in relation this if people feel the need to do something? Pick a date and a time and stand outside and get it filmed.

They knew each other, they done door work on the same nightclub.

There was some beef from a previous encounter so there is more to the story.

Does it warrant all the outrage and looting and shootings.... Hell no it doesn't as if it were a white male this wouldn't even be heard of over the water....

Can we not get this shut down?
    It's against the law!!

I am rolling my eyes really hard now..

• Registered Users Posts: 22,936 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

What fcukin idiots are doing this.

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭cal naughton

Shoulda known it was those GARN eejits.

Guess we can enjoy the lockdown getting extended in "solidarity". Dopes.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,786 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

“Wear masks if possible” say the organisers.
    How considerate of them.
    not an ounce of difference will that gathering of gombeens make.
    What happened to George Floyd was truly horrific and I hope that the person involved sees justice served but a gathering of people in Galway is a total waste of time and an insult to people who have been forced to isolate for the past 4 months.

"blacklifesmatter" but Irish life's in the face of disease doesn't matter.

“Wear masks if possible” say the organisers.
    How considerate of them.
    not an ounce of difference will that gathering of gombeens make.
    What happened to George Floyd was truly horrific and I hope that the person involved sees justice served but a gathering of people in Galway is a total waste of time and an insult to people who have been forced to isolate for the past 4 months.

There's progress being made for an online book of condolences. Is that not good enough? Come out and wear masks they say.

Attention seekers is all they are.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,853 ✭✭✭Storm 10

We had posters on here giving out about social distancing on the prom then it was closed off including the car parks, I hope and pray that City Council will ban this protest, we are doing so well in Galway it will just take one person in that protest who may have the virus to blow it out of all proportion.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 28 Derdwerker

Black Lives Matter, but apparently elderly lives don’t. But it’s ok once you can post on instagram about marching for justice. Well done, seriously, you should be very proud of yourself!

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭eastie17

And how the f did the one in Dublin yesterday go ahead?
    I know they would have loved it if the Guards had tried to stop them but its just beyond ridiculous that a) people thought it was something they should do and b) it was allowed to go ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,551 ✭✭✭Sconsey

Who could make a difference in preventing this dangerous (illegal?) gathering from happening? Local councillors, TD's, HSE or Gardaí? Don't the current rules allow for only four people to meetup in public, surely an organisation encouraging people to ignore that should be stopped.

I'm going to start contacting them all to express my concern, hope others will too.

• Registered Users Posts: 990 ✭✭✭cefh17

Sconsey wrote: »
    Who could make a difference in preventing this dangerous (illegal?) gathering from happening? Local councillors, TD's, HSE or Gardaí? Don't the current rules allow for only four people to meetup in public, surely an organisation encouraging people to ignore that should be stopped.

I'm going to start contacting them all to express my concern, hope others will too.

Ah but sure if they Guards shut it down you know what response will be thrown back as to why :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 138 ✭✭Sheep_shear

eastie17 wrote: »
    And how the f did the one in Dublin yesterday go ahead?

Dundalk this afternoon - https://twitter.com/DonardMcCabe/status/1267820145746927618

Good luck everyone but I don't see why Galway will be any different.

Sconsey wrote: »

For sure, organisations planning these events need to be held responsible for sure.

Ireland changed so much in so many ways over the past few months. There's no reason in the world how they can't think up of a social distancing movement on this matter if they so wish. Like we came together back in April to light a candle at 9pm on a Saturday night for the HSE hereos.

There's no reason in the world to not start an online, social distancing movement instead of encouraging crowds of people to join together.

Is GARN a charity or some such? Strip it of all funding and ban it from having any office in the city.

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭Granadino

Beyond my 20km limit to ride my bandwagon to. I do get the feeling that people almost want to have this kind of American identity politics and race issues infect Irish society.
    Half of the youth speak with American accents these days, so it's no surprise they want to import the social issues as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Organiser and date added to title.

From their FB
    In solidarity with the protest organised by MASI, MERJ and Black Pride Ireland, we ask the Galway community to support the #BlackLivesMatter movement against racist violence, discrimination and police brutality happening in America, while acknowledging our own issues with racism in Ireland.

https://facebook.com/events/s/black-lives-matter-galway/2333735013595018/?ti=icl

• Advertisement

We really should not be publicizing this as it is illegal at the current time. And rightly so. To protect vulnerable people.

Advertisement