Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

[Cancelled] "Black lives matter" march 6th June 2020

Comments

Hopefully the guards start handing out fines.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,408 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

Protest in Eyre Sq, packed...

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Registered Users Posts: 6,666 ✭✭✭thecretinhop

all should be locked up absolute scum

lets be honest here the spolit little baby child's they are wanted there day out to v sigal take some instas and maybe get a bit of a ride later.
    they are superior u see to us mere mortals staying in looking after kids parents etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,735 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

700/800 supposedly.

Clever bunch gathering during a pandemic.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭Whereisgalway

https://twitter.com/AxliWrites/status/1269264758152232962?s=20

csn the mods reopen the thread, should never have been closed in the first place

0da6a32739.jpg

Source Tribune

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,177 ✭✭✭Wompa1

0da6a32739.jpg

Source Tribune

Where did they post that? Someone who was at the protest said they had masks and lined the ground for people to adhere to social distancing. The picture in the tweet and the one here show two very different stories. The tweet picture looks ok.

Wompa1 wrote: »
    Where did they post that? Someone who was at the protest said they had masks and lined the ground for people to adhere to social distancing. The picture in the tweet and the one here show two very different stories. The tweet picture looks ok.

That Pic was on the front of their home page when posted but it's not there now...

Dunno!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

When i was passing eyre square they were setting up. They were marking the ground with chalk x's but of course thats grand when only one person stands i the spot but it becomes a problem when there is more than one person.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,135 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Absolute morons. And things being flung open on Monday now.........not a great recipe.

That Pic was on the front of their home page when posted but it's not there now...

Dunno!

That picture doesn't really jive with other pictures. They also accidently shared a picture a few weeks ago from Salthill that was old.

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭cal naughton

0da6a32739.jpg

Source Tribune

No leaves on the trees. Definitely not taken in June 2020.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,407 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

0da6a32739.jpg

Source Tribune

No leaves on the trees. Is it autumn in Eyre Sq?

Edit: cal got there before me

700 to a 1000 wont make a bit of difference if they distanced.
    I genienuly hate every single of one of you there today.
    it will be a miracle if we dont get another spike after this.
    Will you be there when your actions puts someone anyone someone you know in icu not able to breathe. this is what you have done now.
    live with the consequences ye selfish pricks

The Gardai really need to invest in a water cannon, I would pay to watch them tear into that crowd of unbelievable idiots with it.

That picture doesn't really jive with other pictures. They also accidently shared a picture a few weeks ago from Salthill that was old.

Agreed, that Pic has to be from the past & obviously that's why it was taken down.

Picture aside, the principle remains, that gathering should not have gone ahead today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,918 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

The Gardai really need to invest in a water cannon, I would pay to watch them tear into that crowd of unbelievable idiots with it.

You would use water cannons against peaceful protesters ? I don't agree with holding the protest but you just proved their point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,266 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Loads of masks on show as well as social distancing observed by quite a few. The ones up by the fountain look close knit though.

• Advertisement

Loads of masks on show as well as social distancing observed by quite a few. The ones up by the fountain look close knit though.

An expert on Newstalk last week said that if you are one metre apart & outdoors the chances of transmission are practically zero.

Discodog wrote: »
    You would use water cannons against peaceful protesters ? I don't agree with holding the protest but you just proved their point.

This is not normal circumstances the fact its peaceful is irrelevant they are breaking the law, they are endangering lives and endangering reversing all the good work done people all over the county and country

They need to be taught a lesson imo, I'd be in there with a large garda force fining and arresting at the very least and if people wont disperse a shot of water might do the trick. The arrogance of contempt of anyone in eyre square today is astounding absolute scum.

This is not normal circumstances the fact its peaceful is irrelevant they are breaking the law, they are endangering lives and endangering reversing all the good work done people all over the county and country

They need to be taught a lesson imo, I'd be in there with a large garda force fining and arresting at the very least and if people wont disperse a shot of water might do the trick. The arrogance of contempt of anyone in eyre square today is astounding absolute scum.

You lost me once you started referring to ordinary people, families, children etc as scum.

This forum is so strange. I have lived near Galway for twenty years & never met anyone with the attitudes of some here. It was wrong to hold the protest now but I am proud that, in my City, so many ordinary people care.

You lost me once you started referring to ordinary people, families, children etc as scum.

When ordinary people and families etc are willing to endanger the health of the city and the nation then they are scum simple as that. No one with a working brain should be there today.

The vast majority of the country including myself support the cause but it doesn't give a free pass to break the law and potentially spread a deadly virus that we are just about containing. Black lives matter but Irish lives don't apparently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,434 ✭✭✭Homelander

People on the fringes weren't too bad and some effort was made in general but the area around the fountain was fairly packed in many cases, a lot of people were basically shoulder to shoulder.

When ordinary people and families etc are willing to endanger the health of the city and the nation then they are scum simple as that. No one with a working brain should be there today.

One wonders who are the bigger danger to society. Ordinary people showing they care or those that hate, suggest violence & use terms like scum. I know which I would rather have around.

An expert on Newstalk last week said that if you are one metre apart & outdoors the chances of transmission are practically zero.

A UCD study also showed if shouting, droplets can travel further. Chances there was no shouting or chanting at a protest?

For the most part it seems like people used common sense for distancing and masks. Could be a good trial for future events.

I read on Twitter about them marking distances on the ground to help and giving out masks. It seems like a big oversight to not also restrict the number of people congregating there at one time too.

The organizers will probably have lost some good will. If they had held off and did something when restrictions were more eased, it may have gotten more support. Hard to say you think Black Lives Matter by endangering black lives in Galway with a deadly virus.

A UCD study also showed if shouting, droplets can travel further. Chances there was no shouting or chanting at a protest?

For the most part it seems like people used common sense for distancing and masks. Could be a good trial for future events.

I read on Twitter about them marking distances on the ground to help and giving out masks. It seems like a big oversight to not also restrict the number of people congregating there at one time too.

The organizers will probably have lost some good will. If they had held off and did something when restrictions were more eased, it may have gotten more support. Hard to say you think Black Lives Matter by endangering black lives in Galway with a deadly virus.

I think the numbers have surprised all the organisers. The same was being said about Dublin & the UK. But it's especially relevant & encouraging in Galway where we have relatively so few Black residents.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,590 ✭✭✭Sconsey

One wonders who are the bigger danger to society. Ordinary stupid people showing they care or those that hate, suggest violence & use terms like scum. I know which I would rather have around.

Fixed that for ya.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,654 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

One wonders who are the bigger danger to society. Ordinary people showing they care or those that hate, suggest violence & use terms like scum. I know which I would rather have around.

I was working nearby, a lot of them were young ones treating it like a day out. I'd say most of them cared more about posting it to their instragram stories than they do about racism.

I was working nearby, a lot of them were young ones treating it like a day out. I'd say most of them cared more about posting it to their instragram stories than they do about racism.

Maybe ? Or maybe some actually care about the society they are growing up in. To many of the young their music heroes are black, their friends are black. It's so easy to just spout the usual condemnation.

very encouraging to increase fatalities in the future

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,450 ✭✭✭JoeA3

This forum is so strange. I have lived near Galway for twenty years & never met anyone with the attitudes of some here. It was wrong to hold the protest now but I am proud that, in my City, so many ordinary people care.

Well said - but there’s no talking to that particular poster. Fighting billy big balls talk behind a keyboard. Brave.

And yeah, there’s a few mouth pieces on this forum who shout loudest but aren’t representative of the attitudes of most relaxed easy going Galwegians.

They care so much that they want to risk exposing themselves and their family to a potentially fatal virus?

Seems akin to protesting drunk driving by running across a motorway waving a sign. Sure fair fcuks you care about protesting drunk driving we all agree with that.
    Possibly causing a needless car accident getting yourself or others killed? I'd have thought most decent caring folk wouldn't have celebrated that.

Yeah they may have a point but what cave have they been in to have not realised theres a fukcing global pandemic currently?

JoeA3 wrote: »
    Well said - but there’s no talking to that particular poster. Fighting billy big balls talk behind a keyboard. Brave.

And yeah, there’s a few mouth pieces on this forum who shout loudest but aren’t representative of the attitudes of most relaxed easy going Galwegians.

At least there's two of us & maybe this forum keeps the miserable at their keyboards & away from the streets :pac:

Luckily potential tourists don't read it.

• Advertisement

very encouraging to increase fatalities in the future

How will you, Nox etc cope if the numbers continue to fall & there isn't a second wave ?

Being relaxed and easy going does not mean you don't stand up and call out the people involved in an illegal and live endangering gathering as being absolute morons. They deserve to be called out and in my opinion fined and prosecuted. The water cannon comment was an exaggeration but it was demonstrate how strongly I feel about this gathering being prevent or dispersed.

Anyone at the protest today is brain dead, anyone defending them is also (I don't mean supporting the cause I mean supporting them being at the protest).

They've shot themselves and their cause in the foot having a public gathering in the middle of a pandemic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,253 ✭✭✭✭flazio

As of Midnight Thursday Galway hasn't had any new cases in 4 days. We might just get away with it.

flazio wrote: »
    As of Midnight Thursday Galway hasn't had any new cases in 4 days. We might just get away with it.

same as either way disgraceful behaviour.
    Who gives these clowns the right to do what they did?
    can you play watch gaa no
    can you go to friends no
    etc etc
    people are in a rage here and other areas as 90pc of pop have adhered and its fkin hard. these selfish clowns will never change

• Advertisement

Being relaxed and easy going does not mean you don't stand up and call out the people involved in an illegal and live endangering gathering as being absolute morons. They deserve to be called out and in my opinion fined and prosecuted. The water cannon comment was an exaggeration but it was demonstrate how strongly I feel about this gathering being prevent or dispersed.

Anyone at the protest today is brain dead, anyone defending them is also (I don't mean supporting the cause I mean supporting them being at the protest).

I get that you're concerned about the virus. I think your paranoia is completely over the top but we'll agree to disagree because it is clear you'll never be swayed.

Calling ordinary people that you know nothing about morons, brain dead, shoot them with water canons, lash out fines, lock them all up - is over the top, offensive and just not on. For me, you are losing whatever argument you're trying to make when you express yourself like that. Incidentally, how many cells do you think the Gardai in Millstreet have? Where or where are we going to lock all these people up who don't fall into your idea of justice? You seem to think we have the military resources of North Korea to call upon at will. We don't. And we should be thankful for that imo.

same as either way disgraceful behaviour.
    Who gives these clowns the right to do what they did?
    can you play watch gaa no
    can you go to friends no
    etc etc
    people are in a rage here and other areas as 90pc of pop have adhered and its fkin hard. these selfish clowns will never change

Really ? Where ?

And who are these "selfish clowns" ? What won't they change from ?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭Whereisgalway

If the mods were consistent they’d move this to its own thread

Really ? Where ?

go look at every forum on here limerick cork Waterford
    see online gbfm fb gal adv christ even the journal comments are broadly against it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,434 ✭✭✭Homelander

Really ? Where ?

To be fair, 90% of the thousands of comments online are all against the fact it and similar protests took place.

You don't have to agree, and not everyone does which is up to them, but the vast majority of people are expressing an opinion that they didn't want it to go ahead and it shouldn't have been allowed to take place.

I get that you're concerned about the virus. I think your paranoia is completely over the top but we'll agree to disagree because it is clear you'll never be swayed.

Calling ordinary people that you know nothing about morons, brain dead, shoot them with water canons, lash out fines, lock them all up - is over the top, offensive and just not on. For me, you are losing whatever argument you're trying to make when you express yourself like that. Incidentally, how many cells do you think the Gardai in Millstreet have? Where or where are we going to lock all these people up who don't fall into your idea of justice? You seem to think we have the military resources of North Korea to call upon at will. We don't. And we should be thankful for that imo.

I know all I need to know about them when they went to that protest today. Anyone who concluded that going into an illegal gathering packed into a city centre square in the middle of a global pandemic does not have a functioning brain and I’d gladly say that to the face of anyone of them.

The square should have been cordoned off, there should have been a large Garda presence and the crowd dispersed before it got big and fines handed out to those who won’t go.

There are people today not able to attend a funeral of a loved one as it’s limited to 10 people and you have these scumbags gathering in large groups putting up two fingers to everyone in the county and country who are staying at home and barely leaving the house to shop never mind this type of thing. It’s absolutely disgraceful and anyone supporting them is as bad.

There are few people posting here that would have had 1000’s of deaths on their hands if they were in charge of the country that is a fact as the sickening disregard for the seriousness of the virus is clear to see.

And there you go proving my point for me. Do you ever read back your posts before clicking submit? You've just re-posted your same hysterics from earlier.

I don't really buy it either. You have 20k+ posts on here and you've never been shy about telling us that you're your own man, you do things your way or no way and generally you don't give a hoot what anyone else thinks. But now you are super concerned about everyone's welfare? It doesn't stack up with this persona you've developed here. Are you sure you aren't just super pissed that these protestors might delay your return to the pub?

I couldn't give 2 hoots about the protest, I wasn't next nor near it. But I did have a look at some photos... For some balance and perspective, it all seemed rather tame and civilised to me with many people wearing masks. The chances of the virus spreading as a result of today's events? Almost nil in my opinion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,545 ✭✭✭at1withmyself

A big **** you to the effort everyone has put in over the past few months as far as I'm concerned.

As pointed out many of us have missed funerals and saying goodbye to loved ones, not visiting family and staying in the gardens, standing in queues to get groceries so shops could maintain social distancing but **** it let's gather in the square and say **** you to everyone who put in an effort.

What annoys me the most is the amount of requests asking them not to go ahead but the selfishness of them to still go ahead and I can guarantee half of them didn't even know why they are there.

There is a time and a place for everything and this was not it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭Andrew00

As I predicted most were hippies with purple hair and stuff

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,654 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

Maybe ? Or maybe some actually care about the society they are growing up in. To many of the young their music heroes are black, their friends are black. It's so easy to just spout the usual condemnation.

It's not "the usual condemnation" because these aren't usual times. I'm all for peaceful protest but today wasn't the time or the place for it in light of what's been happening over the last few months.

• Advertisement
Advertisement