Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[Cancelled] "Black lives matter" march 6th June 2020

Options

Comments

Hopefully the guards start handing out fines.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,363 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

Protest in Eyre Sq, packed...

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Registered Users Posts: 6,484 ✭✭✭thecretinhop

all should be locked up absolute scum

lets be honest here the spolit little baby child's they are wanted there day out to v sigal take some instas and maybe get a bit of a ride later.
    they are superior u see to us mere mortals staying in looking after kids parents etc

• Registered Users Posts: 45,278 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

700/800 supposedly.

Clever bunch gathering during a pandemic.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭Whereisgalway

https://twitter.com/AxliWrites/status/1269264758152232962?s=20

csn the mods reopen the thread, should never have been closed in the first place

0da6a32739.jpg

Source Tribune

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Registered Users Posts: 8,166 ✭✭✭Wompa1

0da6a32739.jpg

Source Tribune

Where did they post that? Someone who was at the protest said they had masks and lined the ground for people to adhere to social distancing. The picture in the tweet and the one here show two very different stories. The tweet picture looks ok.

Wompa1 wrote: »
    Where did they post that? Someone who was at the protest said they had masks and lined the ground for people to adhere to social distancing. The picture in the tweet and the one here show two very different stories. The tweet picture looks ok.

That Pic was on the front of their home page when posted but it's not there now...

Dunno!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

When i was passing eyre square they were setting up. They were marking the ground with chalk x's but of course thats grand when only one person stands i the spot but it becomes a problem when there is more than one person.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,249 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Absolute morons. And things being flung open on Monday now.........not a great recipe.

That Pic was on the front of their home page when posted but it's not there now...

Dunno!

That picture doesn't really jive with other pictures. They also accidently shared a picture a few weeks ago from Salthill that was old.

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭cal naughton

0da6a32739.jpg

Source Tribune

No leaves on the trees. Definitely not taken in June 2020.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,325 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

0da6a32739.jpg

Source Tribune

No leaves on the trees. Is it autumn in Eyre Sq?

Edit: cal got there before me

700 to a 1000 wont make a bit of difference if they distanced.
    I genienuly hate every single of one of you there today.
    it will be a miracle if we dont get another spike after this.
    Will you be there when your actions puts someone anyone someone you know in icu not able to breathe. this is what you have done now.
    live with the consequences ye selfish pricks

The Gardai really need to invest in a water cannon, I would pay to watch them tear into that crowd of unbelievable idiots with it.

That picture doesn't really jive with other pictures. They also accidently shared a picture a few weeks ago from Salthill that was old.

Agreed, that Pic has to be from the past & obviously that's why it was taken down.

Picture aside, the principle remains, that gathering should not have gone ahead today.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

• Registered Users Posts: 15,829 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

The Gardai really need to invest in a water cannon, I would pay to watch them tear into that crowd of unbelievable idiots with it.

You would use water cannons against peaceful protesters ? I don't agree with holding the protest but you just proved their point.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,994 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Loads of masks on show as well as social distancing observed by quite a few. The ones up by the fountain look close knit though.

• Advertisement

Loads of masks on show as well as social distancing observed by quite a few. The ones up by the fountain look close knit though.

An expert on Newstalk last week said that if you are one metre apart & outdoors the chances of transmission are practically zero.

Discodog wrote: »
    You would use water cannons against peaceful protesters ? I don't agree with holding the protest but you just proved their point.

This is not normal circumstances the fact its peaceful is irrelevant they are breaking the law, they are endangering lives and endangering reversing all the good work done people all over the county and country

They need to be taught a lesson imo, I'd be in there with a large garda force fining and arresting at the very least and if people wont disperse a shot of water might do the trick. The arrogance of contempt of anyone in eyre square today is astounding absolute scum.

This is not normal circumstances the fact its peaceful is irrelevant they are breaking the law, they are endangering lives and endangering reversing all the good work done people all over the county and country

They need to be taught a lesson imo, I'd be in there with a large garda force fining and arresting at the very least and if people wont disperse a shot of water might do the trick. The arrogance of contempt of anyone in eyre square today is astounding absolute scum.

You lost me once you started referring to ordinary people, families, children etc as scum.

This forum is so strange. I have lived near Galway for twenty years & never met anyone with the attitudes of some here. It was wrong to hold the protest now but I am proud that, in my City, so many ordinary people care.

You lost me once you started referring to ordinary people, families, children etc as scum.

When ordinary people and families etc are willing to endanger the health of the city and the nation then they are scum simple as that. No one with a working brain should be there today.

The vast majority of the country including myself support the cause but it doesn't give a free pass to break the law and potentially spread a deadly virus that we are just about containing. Black lives matter but Irish lives don't apparently.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,364 ✭✭✭Homelander

People on the fringes weren't too bad and some effort was made in general but the area around the fountain was fairly packed in many cases, a lot of people were basically shoulder to shoulder.

When ordinary people and families etc are willing to endanger the health of the city and the nation then they are scum simple as that. No one with a working brain should be there today.

One wonders who are the bigger danger to society. Ordinary people showing they care or those that hate, suggest violence & use terms like scum. I know which I would rather have around.

An expert on Newstalk last week said that if you are one metre apart & outdoors the chances of transmission are practically zero.

A UCD study also showed if shouting, droplets can travel further. Chances there was no shouting or chanting at a protest?

For the most part it seems like people used common sense for distancing and masks. Could be a good trial for future events.

I read on Twitter about them marking distances on the ground to help and giving out masks. It seems like a big oversight to not also restrict the number of people congregating there at one time too.

The organizers will probably have lost some good will. If they had held off and did something when restrictions were more eased, it may have gotten more support. Hard to say you think Black Lives Matter by endangering black lives in Galway with a deadly virus.

A UCD study also showed if shouting, droplets can travel further. Chances there was no shouting or chanting at a protest?

For the most part it seems like people used common sense for distancing and masks. Could be a good trial for future events.

I read on Twitter about them marking distances on the ground to help and giving out masks. It seems like a big oversight to not also restrict the number of people congregating there at one time too.

The organizers will probably have lost some good will. If they had held off and did something when restrictions were more eased, it may have gotten more support. Hard to say you think Black Lives Matter by endangering black lives in Galway with a deadly virus.

I think the numbers have surprised all the organisers. The same was being said about Dublin & the UK. But it's especially relevant & encouraging in Galway where we have relatively so few Black residents.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Sconsey

One wonders who are the bigger danger to society. Ordinary stupid people showing they care or those that hate, suggest violence & use terms like scum. I know which I would rather have around.

Fixed that for ya.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,525 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

One wonders who are the bigger danger to society. Ordinary people showing they care or those that hate, suggest violence & use terms like scum. I know which I would rather have around.

I was working nearby, a lot of them were young ones treating it like a day out. I'd say most of them cared more about posting it to their instragram stories than they do about racism.

Advertisement