Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tenet (Christopher Nolan) *spoilers from post 475*

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

peteeeed wrote: »
    Christopher Nolan Bought a Real 747 for Tenet Just to Crash It

https://consequenceofsound.net/2020/05/christopher-nolan-747-crash-tenet/

That alone speaks volumes to the clout Nolan possesses at the moment.

His scripts can be a bit ropey, but there's no mistaking the visceral physicality of the staging of his set pieces. True, old school "how did they do that?" Hollywood magic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 779 ✭✭✭Arrival

pixelburp wrote: »
    That alone speaks volumes to the clout Nolan possesses at the moment.

His scripts can be a bit ropey, but there's no mistaking the visceral physicality of the staging of his set pieces. True, old school "how did they do that?" Hollywood magic.

The hotel hall fighting scene in Inception was unbelievable, couldn't wrap my head around how it was filmed because it seemed so real to be lots of CGI and obviously doubted they built some kind of huge spinning hallway because you'd think that's be ridiculous, but then you see the behind the scenes and that's exactly what they did

Wish more directors would take this kind of approach, not only is it better on screen than CGI but it also creates cool jobs for people and helps them get inventive. With the budgets of Hollywood films, creative people could do incredible over the years, so these days it'd be even better

• Registered Users Posts: 40 IrishJedi75

Mr.S wrote: »
    Social Distancing in Cinemas will probably improve the experience, if anything!

Will mean less money for the movies box office takings though.A film that would have grossed a billion dollars six months ago will be lucky to make half that amount now.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

How much will a ticket be is the question

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Daveno

Looking great- 2nd trailer https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pyVleIwYIbg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,480 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

Watched Inception at the weekend hard to believe it's 10 years old and I'm still not sure after multiple viewings if it's not all a dress :) From what I've read TeneT will be just as head wrecking and I expect to still have many questions after I see it the first time. I can we'll see this being delayed well into the Autumn, with Covid19 and the unrest in the US can't see it screening next month

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭sheepsh4gger

No details just it will be an Event Movie. No details yet but that's something to look forward to in 2020 :-)
    https://twitter.com/THR/status/1088943470750900224?s=19

How is that going to work? Can you eat popcorn in a hazmat suit?

I bet the guys serving popcorn will get infected with rona and sue their employers. There was a story on CNBC about AMC Theaters being on verge of collapse and Amazon eyeing them. One would think the last thing they want is to get in this crap situation.

Cinemas here reopening July 20th

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

peteeeed wrote: »
    Cinemas here reopening July 20th

Perhaps, but there's no way I'm going into one anytime soon. Not until any risk of a second wave is been and gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 IrishJedi75

There is some speculation online that Tenet takes place in the same universe as Inception.When you look at the trailers for both movies,they are very similar in a way.

• Advertisement

Tenet "reportedly" to be delayed - new date not known as of yet

https://screenrant.com/tenet-movie-release-date-delayed-rumors/

• Registered Users Posts: 7,024 ✭✭✭homerun_homer

Will mean less money for the movies box office takings though.A film that would have grossed a billion dollars six months ago will be lucky to make half that amount now.

Given they are the only film trying to stick to the original release date, and be ready for when cinemas open then they will have more screens dedicated to them so more people will still be able to see it. They'll have a near monopoly for being the newest film on release vs whatever cinemas decide to show that have since been on VOD after missing their cinema release window.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,700 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

Pushed back to July 31 - /Film

• Registered Users Posts: 11,180 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

I wonder what Christopher Nolan's "money shot" scene so to speak will be in this . He has a habit of showing it off in trailers. You know like:

- The Dark Knight ... The 18 wheeler flipping. No CGI. Done for real.
    - Inception ... The rotating hall way.
    - The Dark Knight Rises ... The bit at the start with bane and the upside down plane was done for real.
    - Dunkirk ... pretty much most of that movie was done in-camera.

• Registered Users Posts: 636 ✭✭✭smurf492

- The Dark Knight ... The 18 wheeler flipping. No CGI. Done for real. - Inception ... The rotating hall way. - The Dark Knight Rises ... The bit at the start with bane and the upside down plane was done for real. - Dunkirk ... pretty much most of that movie was done in-camera.

I wonder what Christopher Nolan's "money shot" scene so to speak will be in this . He has a habit of showing it off in trailers. You know like:

Who cares...
    Are his films that good?.. I'm a batman fan and love what he did with batman begins, dark Knight needed to lose the last few minutes with two face, joker was enough and rises was sh%t. Dunkirk was OK, inception was meh.

I get that he is an advocate of film but think he is massively overrated..

• Registered Users Posts: 10,768 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

- The Dark Knight ... The 18 wheeler flipping. No CGI. Done for real.
    - Inception ... The rotating hall way.
    - The Dark Knight Rises ... The bit at the start with bane and the upside down plane was done for real.
    - Dunkirk ... pretty much most of that movie was done in-camera.
    Well we know he bought a plane! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

smurf492 wrote: »
    Who cares...
    Are his films that good?.. I'm a batman fan and love what he did with batman begins, dark Knight needed to lose the last few minutes with two face, joker was enough and rises was sh%t. Dunkirk was OK, inception was meh.

Probably missing his two best films in Memento and the Prestige there.

Probably missing his two best films in Memento and the Prestige there.

Interstellar and The Prestige would be my own favourites.

I watched Inception yesterday, my latest attempt at warming to it. Nope, it just leaves me a bit cold and I actually find it to be a bit of a chore. Probably Nolan's most 'tell' film, where too many of the scenes are laden with exposition. I fully understand and 'get it' btw, I just don't really like it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Inception is getting a theatrical re-release in the US for its 10th anniversary (!!) on 17th July. It will include a sneak peak at Tenet.

I assume UK/Ireland may get it too, though our cinemas aren't due to re-open until the 20th.

Well we know he bought a plane! :p

Yeah, I imagine that's the big set piece. We even see it in the trailers. That's some clout to blag your way to a 747 for the purposes of crashing into a hanger.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,017 ✭✭✭✭adox

Looking forward to this. I’m a fan of Nolans.

I really enjoyed Inception. A real cinema experience. I rarely go to the cinema anymore but I did see Inception on the big screen and it really was made for it. A visual and aural experience.
    Momento is fantastic. I only watched it once. I enjoyed it so much and with the nature of the subject matter,I didn’t want to watch it again and try start picking the film apart for plot holes.

From the clips it does have an Inception “feel” about it but will wait and see.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

Whatever happens, I hope this isn't released until we can see it in all its glory in the cinema. Seeing all the mentions of Nolan's previous films above is only whetting my appetite. There are some masterpieces there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭mikhail

smurf492 wrote: »
    Who cares...

It pisses me off that "I think X is overrated" has become internet shorthand for "I don't like X, but couldn't be bothered making a coherent argument about its shortcomings, so instead I'm going to demand that you defend it from my nebulous disapproval."

• Registered Users Posts: 2,517 ✭✭✭flasher0030

mikhail wrote: »
    It pisses me off that "I think X is overrated" has become internet shorthand for "I don't like X, but couldn't be bothered making a coherent argument about its shortcomings, so instead I'm going to demand that you defend it from my nebulous disapproval."

Completely agree. People will whinge for the sake of it. Take the following list

Inception - masterpiece
    Intersteller - Masterpiece
    Memento - masterpiece
    Prestige - very good, I wasn't too gone on the cloning notion
    The Batman films - massively entertaining
    Insomnia - saw it years ago, and enjoyed it immensely.

That's some portfolio. How can anyone seriously put an overrated label on that? To come up with the concepts that are produced in some of those films is genius to me. The only film that has an ending that got to me as much as did for the first 3 films above is when I saw the sixth sense in the cinema. Blew me away how someone could even come up with that idea. Same for inception, intersteller and memento.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,367 ✭✭✭Homelander

I do agree that Interstellar and The Dark Knight were masterpieces. Inception was very good. I was somewhat disappointed with DKR and Dunkirk. In his defense, I would argue that even his "worst" or, being more fair, weakest, films, are at least solidly entertaining.

Really looking forward to Tenet.

i feel like i have to post this just to get it out every so often ..... Christopher Nolan is a genius ...... and relax :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 779 ✭✭✭Arrival

Jonathan Nolan seems to be forgotten about a lot of the time when it comes to praising Christopher's best films, he's played a huge role in pretty much Christopher's best films. Even with Interstellar, as far as I remember it was Jonathan who wrote pretty much the whole thing alongside Kip Thorne advising on the science, and then Christopher went over it all with them to polish it off

I'd argue that it's within the margins legitimate discussion can be made about Nolan's relative skills: that while his CV shows a clear cinematic and epic vision, Nolan's biggest blindspot can be said to be around his films' emotions. Or lack thereof.

Of all his work, my favourite by far remains The Prestige, and thinking on it feels like the one film that felt properly alive & vital. A story of obsession and jealousy threaded within the mechanism of Nolan's usual cinematic eccentricity; that emotional intensity jumped off its characters & story giving it a pulse. The rest of Nolans features however, while spectacular, beautiful and often intellectually substantive, can feel very hollow or cold. Sometimes bordering on mechanical.

Dunkirk is the perfect example of the above: as a purely intellectual exercise the film was a fantastic twist of structure, and - as is standard - a bloody gorgeous feature to boot. But it was dead inside, I didn't care about the "characters" beyond the immediacy of the peril. Even Interstellar, a film that arguably tried to suggest Love was the most powerful force in the universe, had that emptiness because the sentiment came felt declarative, rather than raw.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

Arrival wrote: »
    Jonathan Nolan seems to be forgotten about a lot of the time when it comes to praising Christopher's best films, he's played a huge role in pretty much Christopher's best films. Even with Interstellar, as far as I remember it was Jonathan who wrote pretty much the whole thing alongside Kip Thorne advising on the science, and then Christopher went over it all with them to polish it off

Wasn’t it attached to Spielberg for a short time?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,517 ✭✭✭flasher0030

pixelburp wrote: »
    I'd argue that it's within the margins legitimate discussion can be made about Nolan's relative skills: that while his CV shows a clear cinematic and epic vision, Nolan's biggest blindspot can be said to be around his films' emotions. Or lack thereof.

Of all his work, my favourite by far remains The Prestige, and thinking on it feels like the one film that felt properly alive & vital. A story of obsession and jealousy threaded within the mechanism of Nolan's usual cinematic eccentricity; that emotional intensity jumped off its characters & story giving it a pulse. The rest of Nolans features however, while spectacular, beautiful and often intellectually substantive, can feel very hollow or cold. Sometimes bordering on mechanical.

Dunkirk is the perfect example of the above: as a purely intellectual exercise the film was a fantastic twist of structure, and - as is standard - a bloody gorgeous feature to boot. But it was dead inside, I didn't care about the "characters" beyond the immediacy of the peril. Even Interstellar, a film that arguably tried to suggest Love was the most powerful force in the universe, had that emptiness because the sentiment came felt declarative, rather than raw.

Ok. Maybe I'm a little shallower. But I just want to be entertained by thought-provoking films. Films with a little bit of complexity thrown in. And after I watched most of Nolan's features, it thought Wow, that was amazing. And it's not that I need to let on that I'm a highly intellectual being. I watched Donnie Darko and hadn't a clue what was going on until I actual read the theme on it on the Net afterwards.
    Haven't watched Dunkirk though. Not that interested in war movies.

Looking forward to Tenet.

Advertisement