Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Everyday Racism"

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Mr. Karate

Good. Leave if you're so unhappy here. We won't try to keep you here.

That should be the logical and rational response to this bull****. Don't like it here? leave? You need us more than we need you.

LOL. Got to put preferred pronouns in his profile. The sign we're dealing with an idiot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭Nesta2018

Yes indeed. How those doctors and engineers fleeing persecution in Nigeria have repaid us many times over with their gratitude and contributions to Irish society.

I actually know people who predicted what would happen 20 years ago but in my naivety I thought they were racists.

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭Madeleine Birchfield

Ireland's immigrant African-born population are treated far better in Ireland, compared to native black Americans in the United States.
    twitter.com/donnymz_/status/1265963541976231936

I really hate the importation of American concepts into Europe, especially when they don't apply due to the different histories of the native black population of America vs the immigrant African population in Ireland. Xenophobia is different from racism, and the right terms shouldn't be white vs non-white, but rather Irish vs non-Irish.

Ireland's immigrant African-born population are treated far better in Ireland, compared to native black Americans in the United States.

I really hate the importation of American concepts into Europe, especially when they don't apply due to the different histories of the native black population of America vs the immigrant African population in Ireland. Xenophobia is different from racism, and the right terms shouldn't be white vs non-white, but rather Irish vs non-Irish.

You would think with Ireland's history of being occupied and a genocide attempt by the British, and being slaves in the colonies themselves they'd see right through this bull**** and tell these grievance mongers to "**** off".

Good grief. His page is full of "exceptional" people.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭sasta le

I see "Ireland is racist " trending on Twitter

sasta le wrote: »
    I see "Ireland is racist " trending on Twitter

By a bunch of people living off Ireland's handouts no doubt.

Mr. Karate wrote: »
    By a bunch of people living off Ireland's handouts no doubt.

Or a professional stake in it existing... There's good salaries/income out there for the people who engage in this kind of work. Stands to reason they'd have an interest in promoting that racism is greater than it is, so that they can justify their existence.

Or a professional stake in it existing... There's good salaries/income out there for the people who engage in this kind of work. Stands to reason they'd have an interest in promoting that racism is greater than it is, so that they can justify their existence.

Oh definitely. If race baiting wasn't so lucrative then Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton would have to get real jobs. Or preach in real churches [notice how there's never a parish listed with them?]

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭Limpy

Granny15 wrote: »
    Stoking fear of immigration is nothing more than a divide and control tactic. Put the masses minds off hating politicians. Put them against one another. It’s implemented by blow in who don’t belong here so they deflect their own issues on why they shouldn’t be here being old gentry and old British planters. In truth racism comes from the highest levels and doesn’t exist lower down the classes

I agree with you there. There's a small few scraps left for people on social welfare to fight over. It's easier to blame a Nigerian who got a free taxi and a rolls Royce buggy, according to some.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭sheepsh4gger

There's lots of racism, you just don't see it because you live in a bubble. After the shootings in France I once walked out to see a local drunk mock an Indian guy talking on the phone saying "allahu akbar". Stuff like that is common in Dublin.

If you want to know my conspiracy take on it: the ruling elite decided to mess with social cohesion to get their employment numbers up, that's the problem here and what creates tensions. There's lots of young people who decide to leave the country because it sucks since 2008. Instead of creating opportunities for them it's cheaper import people in who are worse off from 3rd world countries. The minister of finance even said that a couple of times. Young people don't have any representation in government so they always draw the short straw.

The lower working class was thrown overboard and they have a chip on their shoulder. They think immigrants are getting something they aren't.

There's lots of racism, you just don't see it because you live in a bubble. After the shootings in France I once walked out to see a local drunk mock an Indian guy talking on the phone saying "allahu akbar". Stuff like that is common in Dublin.

There are always going to be fools, Aholes and drunks who make insulting remarks. Those people are still an extreme minority in comparison to the whole. It's hardly an indication of racism being even remotely common among the mainstream population.

I do love the way that if we don't see it as being common, then we're in a bubble. Perhaps it's simply that you want to see it, so, you perceive everything as being racist regardless of the circumstances, context, or intention...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,317 ✭✭✭AllForIt

There are always going to be fools, Aholes and drunks who make insulting remarks. Those people are still an extreme minority in comparison to the whole. It's hardly an indication of racism being even remotely common among the mainstream population.

Oh, I was just thinking about this the other day. There are ppl out there who think they can bring in things like hate speech laws and all the world will be fixed overnight. An then I think of the monkeys I see on the high street every day - those ppl are never going to go away no matter what one does.
    I do love the way that if we don't see it as being common, then we're in a bubble. Perhaps it's simply that you want to see it, so, you perceive everything as being racist regardless of the circumstances, context, or intention...

Yeah some ppl seem to have noting on their minds except prejudice and racism. Even when they are not the victims of any of it. Pure weird to be in that state of mind 24/7.

If you want to know my conspiracy take on it: the ruling elite decided to mess with social cohesion to get their employment numbers up, that's the problem here and what creates tensions. There's lots of young people who decide to leave the country because it sucks since 2008. Instead of creating opportunities for them it's cheaper import people in who are worse off from 3rd world countries. The minister of finance even said that a couple of times. Young people don't have any representation in government so they always draw the short straw.

The lower working class was thrown overboard and they have a chip on their shoulder. They think immigrants are getting something they aren't.

I believe the Central Bank said a few months ago that Ireland isn't importing enough immigrants to really drive down wages.

AllForIt wrote: »
    Oh, I was just thinking about this the other day. There are ppl out there who think they can bring in things like hate speech laws and all the world will be fixed overnight. An then I think of the monkeys I see on the high street every day - those ppl are never going to go away no matter what one does.

It's still early days. It's not like this is an issue going on for a hundred years. Ireland didn't need to deal with an influx of other racial groups in any significant amounts until 20-30 years ago. People like to make it sound like that's a long time, but it's not. Not in terms of how a society develops, and more importantly, how the public consciousness evolves.

Given time and less focus on race... then people will gradually stop thinking of it as an important difference. I genuinely feel that the greatest opponents to the acceptance of racial groups, are the people who are crying wolf all the time about racism. They're not giving it a chance to disappear. They're simply reinforcing the divide and encouraging other people to see such a divide. Just as expanding the scope of what is included as racism, simply encourages it to grow. It's fuel to the flames of the morons who believe that race is important.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,973 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

One good way to help become post racial would be to stop using the term POC or person of colour, it immediately creates a divide between people as it might have been designed to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

One good way to help become post racial would be to stop using the term POC or person of colour, it immediately creates a divide between people as it might have been designed to do.

Good idea. Telling people of a difference race how they can refer to themselves sounds like a surefire way to put the racism issue to bed.

Most people dont agree I'm sure, because they dont see themselves doing it. But a huge number of people sprinkle things like "paki" or "n****r" or various other similar words in to conversations here. Most often as part of jokes. But sure it's all good craic and we're only having a laugh. They'll complain about "the nigerians" regardless of where they come from in Africa, sure it's all the same place isn't it and they mean all the other ones, not you sean ( not the persons real name, but just what hes called because his "foreign " name is too hard to say.

These are your average "salt of the earth" working class irish folk.

No doubt they'll be on twitter then , complaining about the '****ing brits" not knowing how to pronounce Siobhan.

Your "everyday racism" is that stuff. Not joining marches with swastika armbands chanting that ireland is for whites only like most people would like to count as real racists whereas what they do is just having a laugh.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Sniper69

It's still early days. It's not like this is an issue going on for a hundred years. Ireland didn't need to deal with an influx of other racial groups in any significant amounts until 20-30 years ago. People like to make it sound like that's a long time, but it's not. Not in terms of how a society develops, and more importantly, how the public consciousness evolves.

Given time and less focus on race... then people will gradually stop thinking of it as an important difference. I genuinely feel that the greatest opponents to the acceptance of racial groups, are the people who are crying wolf all the time about racism. They're not giving it a chance to disappear. They're simply reinforcing the divide and encouraging other people to see such a divide. Just as expanding the scope of what is included as racism, simply encourages it to grow. It's fuel to the flames of the morons who believe that race is important.

HaHaHaHaHahAhHa

“If minorities didnt call out racism there wouldnt be any”
    “If women didnt call out rape there wouldnt be any”

“If George Floyd didn’t get arrested there wouldnt be police bruality!”

Youre twisting truth and using awful pedantry to make it seem like the victim is to blame. Do you realize how transparent and detached from reality that post it?

https://www.fm104.ie/news/sport/gardai-interview-irish-teen-over-racist-abuse-sent-to-ian-wright/

Youre telling me its Ian Wrights fault that some scumbag called him a n*gger?

Everyday racism exists. No amount of whataboutism and detached-from-reality arguments is going to dispute that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,352 ✭✭✭1800_Ladladlad

Twitter activists. Twitter is always going to be full of this sh*te. Just different account handles, with the same regurgitated sh*te. They use anecdotal evidence to accuse someone or in this case; the whole of Ireland of being racist. Loaded statements of complete bigotry. This is a certain generation that crowdsources their self-esteem through social media to validate themselves. You can see the recurrent theme in the comments etc. Especially the account bio.

Ireland has racists, Ireland is not racist. Replace "Ireland" with any country you like and it would be still correct.

Sniper69 wrote: »

Everyday racism exists. No amount of whataboutism and detached-from-reality arguments is going to dispute that.

The reaction to those horrible messages Ian Wright proves that while there is, and always will be, idiot racists, it is far from tolerated.

You will never get rid of idiots with racist attitudes but as a society, we are far from racist.

• Advertisement

Sniper69 wrote: »
    HaHaHaHaHahAhHa

“If minorities didnt call out racism there wouldnt be any”
    “If women didnt call out rape there wouldnt be any”

“If George Floyd didn’t get arrested there wouldnt be police bruality!”

Youre twisting truth and using awful pedantry to make it seem like the victim is to blame. Do you realize how transparent and detached from reality that post it?

twisting truth? You're doing more than a little twisting yourself there. :rolleyes:

Nope.. I didn't. But don't let that stop you.

OF course everyday racism exists. Did I say otherwise?

You know... you could deal with what I've actually written rather than argue crap I didn't say.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Look at the replies on twitter to any Irish posts talking about their experiences of being on the recipient end of racism.

Loads of replies from anonymous named accounts, some with hundreds or a couple of thousand followers, along the lines of "Irish patriot/nationalist" etc. All following Gemma o doherty and the likes. Same bull**** through their feeds. Telling the people to go back where they came from and the rest of the usual ****.

Using twitter to represent real people from any source/nation is rather foolish. Twitter is a cesspit of vile attitudes, and is only representative of how far the Internet has fallen in terms of decency.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,061 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

https://twitter.com/NirvashEXE/status/1266599061630541824?s=19

Deeply sad to see this and this is other side to it all. Not new but still these riots hurt the ordinary poor man than anyone else

• Registered Users Posts: 24,934 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

The reaction to those horrible messages Ian Wright proves that while there is, and always will be, idiot racists, it is far from tolerated.

You will never get rid of idiots with racist attitudes but as a society, we are far from racist.

You won’t get rid of racists just like you wont get rid of house burglars, you won’t get rid of drink drivers... what we try and do is from a young age, educate, in our home, peer groups, schools and colleges as to what racism is, why it’s bad, the effect it has on victims, the ..why you wouldn’t like it if it was you, a loved one, friend, family member angle. Make it hit home...

You won’t ever eradicate racism. There will always be racists, just like there will always be car thieves, burglars, and people who hate or dislike and commit bad acts for a variety of stupid reasons. What we all CAN do is educate from a young age, what we can do is show zero tolerance in those peer groups and family / social circles...

Example... you are visiting relatives and one an older lady say an aunt.. “ here did you see the shower of n*ggers causing havoc again in that pub in xxx town ? No respect for our country” My reply... “disappointing, you are right, read the rest of the newspaper, 6 more serious crimes reported, two stabbings, one shooting, one guy killed by a drink driver, misappropriation of money by a director of a company in the IFSC and a post office raided in Kells, suspects dissident republicans ....

All crimes ^^^, the asshöle gene doesn’t discriminate. There are arseholes and arsehole criminals everywhere. Should we be refusing people who have criminal records, sure 100%. Regardless whether they are coming from Eastern Europe, Africa, Asia, wherever. If their patterns of behavior can show that they even have ‘potential’ to be a danger or burden to society, our people or our society/economy, it’s NO we just don’t want... but to say no because of an emblem on a passport, no, sorry.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,352 ✭✭✭1800_Ladladlad

Using twitter to represent real people from any source/nation is rather foolish. Twitter is a cesspit of vile attitudes, and is only representative of how far the Internet has fallen in terms of decency.

There is a huge amount of openly vile, African Americans that seem to think that only black people were the one enslaved and that it was only whites doing the enslaving. They're not the brightest on twitter when it comes to the global slave trade and its history. Most deny it and refuse to accept it. It's used as a victim card to shut whites down.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Blueshoe

There is a huge amount of openly vile, African Americans that seem to think that only black people were the one enslaved and that it was only whites doing the enslaving. They're not the brightest on twitter when it comes to the global slave trade and its history. Most deny it and refuse to accept it. It's used as a victim card to shut whites down.

How many have traveled long distances to live among the white man they hate so much?

The Travellers have white skin colour yet they get discriminated far worse than anybody else in Ireland imo

I thought whites can't be victims of racism?

There's also the Roma in Central and Eastern Europe, who have white skin colour yet were one of the main groups alongside the Jews to be targeted by the Nazis.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,973 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

I thought whites can't be victims of racism?

Isnt that just the dumbest idea to come out of identity politics, it is all about trying to force power by redefining our language, white people are some of the most diverse in the world and even using the term white people is a huge misdemeanor as they are not a monolith.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement