Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The USA

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Mr. Karate

No spoonfeeding required. Don't even want to turn this into a race debate, fact is that far too many people have literally nothing in America.

The poor in America can still manage to have the latest fashions, cell phones and games consoles. They don't know what true poverty is.

If you can't make something of yourself in America [or any 1st World Country for that matter] than that's your fault.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,577 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

StefanFal wrote: »
    It's a country in complete turmoil. Especially if you are a negro. Seems hopeless on all fronts right now.

It's also the country that has achieved more for mankind than any other.

It's also vast geographically, beautiful and built up on a bigger scale than anywhere else.

People sometimes mention the lack of people with passports in the US but the reality is they don't need them. You can have a perfectly fulfilling life while never leaving the borders of the US.

What you see on the news is also a large distortion of the country, most of it is perfectly fine with great people.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

You think that's a kip...you should go to Dublin !;)

Or Tipp town.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 660 ✭✭✭Tasfasdf

Trump will shut down Twitter, disavow the WHO, lose 100k + plus to this pandemic, stifle legitimate voting in addition to all the other **** he did and will do.

Still, still he will most likely be re-elected or at least have millions upon millions vote for him. How is that right.

This is America.

All I can think of is the meme "REEEEEEE" when i see posts like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭completedit

They call it the American Dream because you have to be asleep to believe in it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭TuringBot47

...fact is that far too many people have literally nothing in America.

So if you were to compare America to Africa, or maybe parts of India or parts of South America... do you think they have "nothing" ?
    You really have to educate yourself, and not just from the media.
    Tell us again how great it is from your holiday destination or the city you went to work in.

Depends... middle class people in Ireland will work in middle class places in America. I lived in Virginia/DC for a while.
    Like any other major city, there's good and bad parts.

Capitalism will always divide the losers from the winners.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Indestructable

Dr. Bre wrote: »
    Far better place than uk China Russia etc..

Yes, agreed. But is it better than France, Germany, the Scandinavian nations, Japan, South Korea, and plenty of others?

The US is nothing to strive for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 904 ✭✭✭Blaze420

Tasfasdf wrote: »

So no response but a linguistic interpretation of a meme.....right.

They call it the American Dream because you have to be asleep to believe in it

Yeah or like the “American dream” where your friend chokes you until you pass out, but a cop does it with his knee instead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭GY_1980

What a KIP of a country it is. That's all.

Completely disagree. It’s easily the greatest country I’ve ever been. I’ve visited many of their cities and States. Hugely diverse place.

What experiences are you basing your opinion on?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

i wouldn't live there unless i was very wealthy but it's far from a sh1t hole. A sh1t hole country couldn't have dominated the world for the last century.

Definitely. The majority of the deaths are in NY and Ca because the idiot Democrats like Cuomo, DeBlasio, Pelosi wanted to grand stand to "resist" Trump. The highest mortality rates are coming from Democrat states. Trump did everything he could for those states [Tells you that they're trying to get Cuomo to replace Biden since he went from praising Trump for his efforts in helping NY to towing party line and is now "orange Man Bad" again]

Mr. Karate wrote: »
    Definitely. The majority of the deaths are in NY and Ca because the idiot Democrats like Cuomo, DeBlasio, Pelosi wanted to grand stand to "resist" Trump. The highest mortality rates are coming from Democrat states. Trump did everything he could for those states [Tells you that they're trying to get Cuomo to replace Biden since he went from praising Trump for his efforts in helping NY to towing party line and is now "orange Man Bad" again]

I love seeing people who live in Ireland refer to democrats,Cuomo, Biden, “orange man bad”. Do you talk with a yank accent as well???

Okay that's fair enough. I actually once supported Trump, you won't believe that, but I did. He came in with a fresh mantra and ideas I would have supported at one time. He railed against SJWs I supported that and actually still do to an extent.

But things have changed, in the last few months he has been the most inept and useless leader anyone could imagine. Gaff after gaff, statement after statement with utter nonsense behind it.

Blaze420 wrote: »
    I love seeing people who live in Ireland refer to democrats,Cuomo, Biden, “orange man bad”. Do you talk with a yank accent as well???

I lived in NY so I am very familiar with the US [more than the talking heads on here knocking it]

What? I'm not allowed to mention Democrats by Name? Cuomo is the Governor of Ny and Wilhelm "Scream" DiBlasio is the Mayor of NYC, Plus Nancy is the Speaker of the House. These are all verifiable facts.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,525 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

The states with the highest mortality also have some of the highest population density, most tourism and commercial travel in to them.

That is much more significant than who is the governor of the state. Or maybe you can explain what Bill Lee did versus what Cuomo did which was so much more effective.

I lived in NY so I am very familiar with the US [more than the talking heads on here knocking it]

What? I'm not allowed to mention Democrats by Name? Cuomo is the Governor of Ny and Wilhelm "Scream" DiBlasio is the Mayor of NYC, Plus Nancy is the Speaker of the House. These are all verifiable facts.

I spent a bit of time in NY too but I’m Irish and have no desire to name drop democrats or whatever the **** else as it’s nothing to do with this country, same as I wouldn’t be dropping names like Bojo, Cummings etc if talking about the U.K like I’m some authority or invested in it.

Do you think people in the US talk about Ireland while dropping Leo, Mehole Martin etc in conversation? Like **** they do. It comes across as try hard bull****.

The states with the highest mortality also have some of the highest population density, most tourism and commercial travel in to them.

That is much more significant than who is the governor of the state. Or maybe you can explain what Bill Lee did versus what Cuomo did which was so much more effective.

Cuomo is in charge of the state. He dragged his feet with implementing quarantines and lockdowns. Plus he put Covid patients in nursing homes [then again the Irish Govt did the same thing] He knew NY had a Ventilator shortage and he still wasted billions of taxdollars instead of stockpiling them. Then when Trump sent Ventilators he put them in a storage unit so he could cry about how he's not getting any help.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,431 ✭✭✭Nollog

Blaze420 wrote: »
    I spent a bit of time in NY too but I’m Irish and have no desire to name drop democrats or whatever the **** else as it’s nothing to do with this country, same as I wouldn’t be dropping names like Bojo, Cummings etc if talking about the U.K like I’m some authority or invested in it.

Do you think people in the US talk about Ireland while dropping Leo, Mehole Martin etc in conversation? Like **** they do. It comes across as try hard bull****.

I've had conversations with people who do indeed name drop leo.

I also don't find it odd to discuss political leaders of a country when discussing a country.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,629 ✭✭✭✭banie01

5555555555 wrote: »
    Funny how so many of 'Americas a kip' posts are from people who have never set foot in the US.

Checking passport for stamps now?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭twowheelsonly

I've been there half a dozen times and really like the country and, for the most part, it's people. They definitely have some mad ideas though.. The divide is real as well, if you're down on your luck then you're going to be seriously down on your luck.

My soon-to-be daughter-in-law, a white middle class southern girl pointed out something today that really resonated. She reminded us that, in the last few weeks, gangs of armed to the teeth White Americans marched on State buildings demanding their 'freedom' from the lockdown. They were allowed to do so, unhindered and basically unchallenged.
    Now, switch it around and make that gangs of armed to the teeth Black Americans marching on Government buildings. How far would they get ??
    This, from an All-American white girl that detests racism, was a brilliant point IMO.

(Link to one of the 'White' marches - https://www.usnews.com/news/health-news/articles/2020-04-16/pro-trump-protesters-push-back-on-stay-at-home-orders. )

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭Madeleine Birchfield

Lyan wrote: »
    "Kip" is an odd way to describe the most prosperous nation in the world. What's your reasoning?

You clearly haven't been to rural America or black America; some of those places look like they could have come from third-world countries. Failing infrastructure, failing social support, failing communities, lack of jobs, widespread drug use, et cetera. After the Great Recession those conditions have spread into many cities and now Americans living in cities frequently complain about homelessness in their cities.

There is a huge class gap between the rich elite and the rest of America that the country didn't want to even acknowledge until Trump and Sanders came onto the political scene in 2016.

/\/ollog wrote: »
    I've had conversations with people who do indeed name drop leo.

I also don't find it odd to discuss political leaders of a country when discussing a country.

Why try to sound inform when we can just drop Rte and the like and just go "Orange Man Bad" because they tell us to?

Why try to sound inform when we can just drop Rte and the like and just go "Orange Man Bad" because they tell us to?

You don’t need Rte to tell you that - anyone with a half functioning brain can see exactly what Trump is

Who is out there trying to improve things? To do the right thing?

A black man gets kneeled upon until he dies- horrifically wrong

A protest begins which turns into looting and destruction-wrong

Trump Tweets about shooting looters-wrong

Twitter imposed censorship-wrong

A CNN journalist is arrested-wrong

Who is doing the right things out there?

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭Madeleine Birchfield

Dr. Bre wrote: »
    Far better place than uk China Russia etc..

For the vast majority of Americans the United Kingdom would be a much better place to live than the United States. At least the UK has the NHS compared to America's overpriced mostly-private healthcare boondoggle, and for black Americans Boris Johnson and the Conservatives isn't Donald Trump and the Republicans in terms of racism.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭Andrewf20

It depends where you are. It has great scenery, people are friendly, roads and infrastructure are great. Politics, the medical side of things (cost) and college fees are not so great. Fairly crap work life balance for alot of professionals too and social support is lousy.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,343 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

Cuomo is in charge of the state. He dragged his feet with implementing quarantines and lockdowns. Plus he put Covid patients in nursing homes [then again the Irish Govt did the same thing] He knew NY had a Ventilator shortage and he still wasted billions of taxdollars instead of stockpiling them. Then when Trump sent Ventilators he put them in a storage unit so he could cry about how he's not getting any help.

Dragged his feet..

Trump was calling the whole thing a Democratic hoax in late February.

Buck stops with president and he has made a complete shambles of the whole thing

• Registered Users Posts: 23,577 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

The fish rots from the head down.

When you select Trump you give many messages to the population

That it's ok to a crook
    It's ok to be incompetent
    It's ok to act infantile
    It's ok to be abusive
    It's ok to be a liar

etc etc

It all filters down when that's the example set by the president.

Important to remember most Americans did not vote for Trump.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭GY_1980

Why the hell does every thread about the US on here become an argument about Trump?

Advertisement