Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Walrus - Lassykk - The Reveal

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭lassykk

That means in 1st place is Also Starring LeVar Burton with Badflower - Ghost

Only discovered Badflower in the last 12 months I'd say but absolutely love this track and Promise Me which I recommended in Trigger's Walrus. The subject matter is very heavy but he's a brilliant vocalist and this acoustic version really highlights it

God dam tables - back in a minute!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

lassykk wrote: »
    That means in 1st place is Also Starring LeVar Burton with Badflower - Ghost

Only discovered Badflower in the last 12 months I'd say but absolutely love this track and Promise Me which I recommended in Trigger's Walrus. The subject matter is very heavy but he's a brilliant vocalist and this acoustic version really highlights it

Noice! Really happy to get 1st place with this track. I only discovered it recently and I actually heard the acoustic before the original. It's a dark song, but really cool. I love it!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,636 ✭✭✭phatkev

Now I've worked out how to do BBCode Tables I'm back.

I'm pleased to announce that the winner of the instrumental section is Greenspurs with John Butler Trio - Ocean

An amazing piece of music - I absolutely loved this from start to end - I had heard it before years ago but it was a very welcome reminder of this tune.

Theres a lovely 12 minute version of this knocking around on youtube somewhere

• Advertisement

Lassykk Walrus

Name OHW Inst Acc Total
    y0ssar1an22 13 10 14 37
    Also Starring LeVar Burton 14 7 15 36
    cj maxx 10 11 13 34
    Andy125 9 12 10 31
    mustang shelly 3 13 12 28
    Tusk 11 5 11 27
    greenspurs 6 15 3.5 24.5
    ShaneU 15 6 1 22
    Necro 7 8 6 21
    Strawberry Milkshake 4 14 2 20
    Rothko 12 4 3.5 19.5
    Irish Aris 1 9 9 19
    Purple Tin 5 2 7 14
    fixXxer 8 1 5 14
    Sawduck 2 3 8 13

Got there in the end with the table. Very tight at the top with 3 points now separating the top 3.

I clearly have aligned musical taste with a few boardsies at least!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭Sawduck

Lassykk Walrus

Name OHW Inst Acc Total
    y0ssar1an22 13 10 14 37
    Also Starring LeVar Burton 14 7 15 36
    cj maxx 10 11 13 34
    Andy125 9 12 10 31
    mustang shelly 3 13 12 28
    Tusk 11 5 11 27
    greenspurs 6 15 3.5 24.5
    ShaneU 15 6 1 22
    Necro 7 8 6 21
    Strawberry Milkshake 4 14 2 20
    Rothko 12 4 3.5 19.5
    Irish Aris 1 9 9 19
    Purple Tin 5 2 7 14
    fixXxer 8 1 5 14
    Sawduck 2 3 8 13

I've got this in the bag, put the champagne on ice

Sawduck wrote: »
    I've got this in the bag, put the champagne on ice

Perhaps we shouldn't exchange spotify playlists ;)

You're going to love my SURLAW I'd say!

• Registered Users Posts: 30,367 ✭✭✭✭Tauriel

In 4th place it's mustang shelly with John Mayer - Free Fallin

I love the original song and this is a good cover by a singer I'm not overly familiar with. His voice grew on me the more I listened to it

I knew his song "Your Body is a Wonderland" but that's about it before now. Might give a few more of his tracks a listen!

I'm pleasantly surprised by how well this did. I'm not a fan of acoustic music because I feel it really highlights how poor singers are without all of the music and auto-tuning.

I actually discovered this and liked it when researching for sullivo's walrus.

• Advertisement

I'm pleasantly surprised by how well this did. I'm not a fan of acoustic music because I feel it really highlights how poor singers are without all of the music and auto-tuning.

I actually discovered this and liked it when researching for sullivo's walrus.

It's probably the reason I like acoustic music because it really highlights a quality singer - I would never have believed the lead singer from Slipknot could sing such amazing acoustic songs with Stonesour

• Registered Users Posts: 14,832 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

Well this went downhill for me quickly :D

Last walrus the guy hates Bob Dylan, you hate Johnny Cash. Please let us know if you hate the two best folk stars of all time in future :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,002 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

ShaneU wrote: »

Last walrus the guy hates Bob Dylan, you hate Johnny Cash. Please let us know if you hate the two best folk stars of all time in future :D

Heads up for when I will do my own Walrus: I don't like folk music in general!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭fixXxer

tusk wrote: »
    You must have some sort of record now do you?

I don't know what you're implying here ;_;

tusk wrote: »
    You must have some sort of record now do you?

I don't know what you're implying here ;_;

ShaneU wrote: »

I dont much like Bob Dylan either ;)

And it started so well for you with Temple of the Dog

• Registered Users Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

Pink Floyd - Acoustic ?????

An electric guitar counts as acoustic ???

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... "

greenspurs wrote: »
    Pink Floyd - Acoustic ?????

An electric guitar counts as acoustic ???

That's actually a very fair point. Not something I'd really considered too much as I'd enjoyed the song a lot.

I'm inclined to see how the last couple of rounds play out and if it affects the winning of the Walrus I'll revisit it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

That's actually a very fair point. Not something I'd really considered too much as I'd enjoyed the song a lot.

I'm inclined to see how the last couple of rounds play out and if it affects the winning of the Walrus I'll revisit it.

Well, I think any songs that don't fit the exact criteria that you required should be eliminated .

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... "

• Registered Users Posts: 5,002 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

ah, it's all a bit of fun and a way to discover music!!! Keep on bringing it!!

• Advertisement

greenspurs wrote: »
    Well, I think any songs that don't fit the exact criteria that you required should be eliminated .

tenor.gif

:D

I completely understand the point but I am inclined to leave it go for now and revisit if needs be at the end. It's unfortunate it's someone who has done well so far as if it was someone middle of the road it wouldn't have mattered too much.

I do see this as a bit of fun too and just for enjoyment but in saying that I want to run it properly.

I think what I'll do at the end is show the final table as is and then if that song scored zero. People can then take from it what they wish.

I have yet to even listen to one song in Round 5 yet so it will all be to play for going into that round I assume.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,150 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Personal opinion is that if lassy is ok with it then its grand, it's his game after all :)

Now on to more positive things and I'm ready with the Power Ballad reveal!

Going to run off a chunk of it now and come back and do the rest this afternoon.

In 8th place it's Sawduck with Don't Know What You Got Till It's Gone - Cinderella

I knew the tune of this song when it started but wasn't actually overly familiar with the track. I enjoyed it and it feels like a Power Ballad to me - I can't explain what that means but just when I hear a certain type of song I think Power Ballad!

In 7th place it's y0ssar1an22 with I want it all - Queen

The video link provided for this was odd so I've included it below and a link to the actual song itself too. I've always been a massive Queen fan and Under Pressure is one of my all time favourite songs. I do like "I Want It All" but only enough to rank just inside the top half

In 9th place it's Andy125 with Bonnie Tyler - Total Eclipse of the Heart

A traditional power ballad sound to this and I did enjoy this track but there were just others that pushed it down to the bottom half unfortunately.

In 6th place it's fixXxer with The Darkness - Love is Only a Feeling

I didn't expect any modern songs in this list but I do have a real soft spot for The Darkness and specifically this track. I just think it's a cracking tune and a throwback to the Power Ballad era.

In 10th place it's cj maxx with Scorpion - Winds of Change

I like this song but I thought it didn't have the power of a Power Ballad if that makes sense. It's actually a song I would have on my Spotify rotation often enough

• Advertisement

In 5th place it's Also Starring LeVar Burton with Scandal feat. Patty Smyth - The Warrior

This was a new track to me which was the only one from the list bar the song that came 15th - Another cracking entry which made the top 5 and I really enjoyed this

Advertisement