Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Things Cat Trialvilly Annoy You (part whatever) *MOD WARNING IN OP*

Options

Comments

Weird twofacedness both online and in real life. "Oh such a person drives me mad I can't stand them". Then interacts with them all the time and thanks their posts. Wut.

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭EDit

The companies with adverts on the telly telling me to wash my hands frequently and to do it using their product. I’m in my house, I’m watching telly, I’m haven’t been out and I’m not going out...why should I wash my hands any more than normal? The virus doesn’t spontaneously appear in your bedroom and launch itself onto your hands!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭Rodney Bathgate

Krispie wrote: »
    The Electric Ireland ad on TV at the moment. Chris Hadfield in the space station going around the earth, looking down on Ireland. Beautiful image etc etc.

BUT........

When the camera pans back from the station, the bloody thing is travelling from East to West.:mad:

Everyone knows it travels from West to East:D:D:D:D

Grrrr, sooo angry at the director.:(

(You will all look out for it now...)

The whole Chris Hadfield thing. His only tie to Ireland was that his daughter was studying here. No idea why he is in an advert for EI.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,572 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

The whole Chris Hadfield thing. His only tie to Ireland was that his daughter was studying here. No idea why he is in an advert for EI.

Probably because they paid him.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Registered Users Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭madmaggie

My next door neighbours have a bonfire and the wind is blowing this way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Porklife

****ty corkscrews. Tried to open a bottle of wine and the cork crumbled to bits. Determined, I pulled the corkscrew out and tried again on a not crumbling bit but the handle came off the corkscrew and it's stuck in the bottle so now I have no wine and no corkscrew.
    My friend works in an off licence and I asked him what to do and he said "a crumbly cork is a sign of a good wine". Well how the hell does that help me?!
    That's like people saying it's good luck when a bird ****s on you. No it isn't! I just got turd on my freshly washed hair! Was a questionnaire circulated to anyone who got shat on a week later and asked how much luck they encountered afterwards?!
    I want wine :(

• Registered Users Posts: 40,236 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Porklife wrote: »
    ****ty corkscrews. Tried to open a bottle of wine and the cork crumbled to bits. Determined, I pulled the corkscrew out and tried again on a not crumbling bit but the handle came off the corkscrew and it's stuck in the bottle so now I have no wine and no corkscrew.
    My friend works in an off licence and I asked him what to do and he said "a crumbly cork is a sign of a good wine". Well how the hell does that help me?!
    That's like people saying it's good luck when a bird ****s on you. No it isn't! I just got turd on my freshly washed hair! Was a questionnaire circulated to anyone who got shat on a week later and asked how much luck they encountered afterwards?!
    I want wine :(

unless you are drinking vintage wine then a crumbling cork is not a sign of a good wine it is a sign of a bottle stored upright so the cork has dried out. push the cork into the bottle and then decant the wine into something else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭Panda Killa

Weird twofacedness both online and in real life. "Oh such a person drives me mad I can't stand them". Then interacts with them all the time and thanks their posts. Wut.

Miaow!!

Probably because they paid him.

Yes, they probably “paid” him, but why choose to use him in an “advert” at all?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Porklife

unless you are drinking vintage wine then a crumbling cork is not a sign of a good wine it is a sign of a bottle stored upright so the cork has dried out. push the cork into the bottle and then decant the wine into something else.

Nice one! I shoved the cork in and it worked. Isn't most wine stored upright though? Should I keep wine lying down on a wine rack? Never knew this but cheers!

• Advertisement

Yes, they probably “paid” him, but why choose to use him in an “advert” at all?

He’s a world famous astronaut. Hundreds queued up to get a “copy” of his book signed.

He took photographs of this country, and made numerous references to it, while he was in space. I believe he even became a tourism “ambassador” for Ireland at one point.

I’m not sure how you can’t get your head around the idea of a company using a, world famous, “celebrity” to advertise for them. It’s pretty standard across all forms of “media”.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

He’s a world famous astronaut. Hundreds queued up to get a “copy” of his book signed.

He took photographs of this country, and made numerous references to it, while he was in space. I believe he even became a tourism “ambassador” for Ireland at one point.

I’m not sure how you can’t get your head around the idea of a company using a, world famous, “celebrity” to advertise for them. It’s pretty standard across all forms of “media”.

I’m well “aware” of all that, thanks Emmet. Still doesn’t address my “point”. All this crap started because of the “tenuous” connection that his daughter was “studying” here. I suppose it is the same b*llsh*t that sees some people “claim” Obama as Irish. Give that man an Irish Passport.

I’m well “aware” of all that, thanks Emmet. Still doesn’t address my “point”. All this crap started because of the “tenuous” connection that his daughter was “studying” here. I suppose it is the same b*llsh*t that sees some people “claim” Obama as Irish. Give that man an Irish Passport.

I don’t “Electric Ireland” care about where his daughter went to school.

People respond to “advertising” better when they are familiar with the person promoting that product. This company chose this, particular, man for this very reason.

They probably even paid him “handsomely” as well. That’s how it, usually, “works”, in advertising.

I don’t “Electric Ireland” care about where his daughter went to school.

People respond to “advertising” better when they are familiar with the person promoting that product. This company chose this, particular, man for this very reason.

They probably even paid him “handsomely” as well. That’s how it, usually, “works”, in advertising.

You are “missing” the point, Emmet. Why do we even “know” what this guy is?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,210 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

New till girl in Aldi. Didn't quite "get" how change rounding "works". Din't know 2 weeks ago. Hasn't learnt since.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,871 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Their front-line staff will continue to serve the public in branches - and put themselves at risk - similar to supermarket and pharmacy workers. Their support staff in call centres will deal with numerous queries from customers seeking assistance. The departmental staff will continue having to work 12 hour+ days to deal with the absolute avalanche of lending requests seeking reduced repayments, increased overdrafts etc.

They'd give those same staff the road tomorrow if there was a saving to be had. Banks are cnutish organisations.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,321 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Wasn't he the first person to speak Irish in space?

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    Wasn't he the first person to speak Irish in space?

If he was it was only because his daughter was studying here.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,633 ✭✭✭✭Widdershins

Tiredness. I hate it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Antares35

bnt wrote: »
    People using the word revert incorrectly. It doesn't mean "get back to you" e.g. "when I get an answer I will revert to you". I just had that from a HR person at my company yesterday, which had me fighting the temptation to start mansplaining. :(

If anyone is able to revert to me, that means they must have been me at some time in the past, since that's what the word means: to return to a previous state. For example: "when under stress, he would revert to a childish state".

My TA is people who say "revert back" like a doubling of the reverting. You don't revert back you just revert. And it just makes them sound silly and puffed up.

• Advertisement

I’m not sure what to tell you, he’s a very famous guy who used to “post“ things to Twitter while orbiting the Earth.

He’s probably got well over a million “followers”. Maybe check out his Wikipedia “page” to find out more about him.

As for why he’s on the ad, itself, you’d have to talk to the “boffins” in their ad department. I mean, they could have just used Bernard O’Shea but they probably felt that having an international “celebrity” was better for their brand.

Maybe you could send them an ad idea involving Bernard O’Shea, giving a detailed “reason” of why he’s famous here and see how that goes?

Or maybe someone else on here could “jump in” and explain it all to you. I’m not sure what they’d say differently but it’s worth a shot.

Anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,338 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

He got the public's attention, they liked him. Same reason musicians, footballers and people who were on Big Brother get famous. None of them has to be qualified to sell the product just to be in an advert for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

They'd give those same staff the road tomorrow if there was a saving to be had. Banks are cnutish organisations.

So do you hate all the staff or just the guys at the top?

I’m not sure what to tell you, he’s a very famous guy who used to “post“ things to Twitter while orbiting the Earth.

He’s probably got well over a million “followers”. Maybe check out his Wikipedia “page” to find out more about him.

As for why he’s on the ad, itself, you’d have to talk to the “boffins” in their ad department. I mean, they could have just used Bernard O’Shea but they probably felt that having an international “celebrity” was better for their brand.

Maybe you could send them an ad idea involving Bernard O’Shea, giving a detailed “reason” of why he’s famous here and see how that goes?

Or maybe someone else on here could “jump in” and explain it all to you. I’m not sure what they’d say differently but it’s worth a shot.

Anyone?

Bernard O’Shea would make more “sense” than a Canadian with no “ties” or “connection” to Ireland.

Bernard O’Shea would make more “sense” than a Canadian with no “ties” or “connection” to Ireland.

I’m not following, do you think companies should only “employ” Irish people to shill whatever “product” they’re selling?

Were you like this when Frank Vincent was doing ads for PTSB? Do you have a problem with Harvey Keitel trying to get brits to buy car insurance or Kevin Bacon selling Sky TV?

It’s a common “occurrence” in advertising for a company to “employ” someone very famous to “star” in their “campaigns”. Very common.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,226 ✭✭✭TheDavester

Going to the gym or drinking coffee excessively is not a personality ...your just a bore

I’m not following, do you think companies should only “employ” Irish people to shill whatever “product” they’re selling?

Were you like this when Frank Vincent was doing ads for PTSB? Do you have a problem with Harvey Keitel trying to get brits to buy car insurance or Kevin Bacon selling Sky TV?

It’s a common “occurrence” in advertising for a company to “employ” someone very famous to “star” in their “campaigns”. Very common.

Not that “common” for Irish “firms”. Pointless to bring in a “celebrity” for an Electric Ireland “advert”.

Not that “common” for Irish “firms”. Pointless to bring in a “celebrity” for an Electric Ireland “advert”.

I said it was “common in advertising”, which it is. Just saw Snoop Dog on an ad for Just Eat there. Should they have hired someone else?

Lots of Irish companies have used “foreigners” in their “campaigns”, sure didn’t Murphy’s use a bunch of Samuris at one point. Now, they could well have been Irish lads dressed up but, for all intents and purposes, we were to believe these lads were from “the Orient”. They weren’t “celebrities” though, I’d say if they could get Taylor Swift to do an ad for them now they’d “bite her hand off”.

Would you prefer if they didn’t use world famous “celebs”?

I’ll see if anyone else is around to further “clarify” how advertising works. Would be a real help, for both of us. But I already know how it works.

Anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 73,396 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

bonzodog2 wrote: »
    New till girl in Aldi. Didn't quite "get" how change rounding "works". Din't know 2 weeks ago. Hasn't learnt since.

Doesn’t the till do all that automatically?

• Advertisement

I said it was “common in advertising”, which it is. Just saw Snoop Dog on an ad for Just Eat there. Should they have hired someone else?

Lots of Irish companies have used “foreigners” in their “campaigns”, sure didn’t Murphy’s use a bunch of Samuris at one point. Now, they could well have been Irish lads dressed up but, for all intents and purposes, we were to believe these lads were from “the Orient”. They weren’t “celebrities” though, I’d say if they could get Taylor Swift to do an ad for them now they’d “bite her hand off”.

Would you prefer if they didn’t use world famous “celebs”?

I’ll see if anyone else is around to further “clarify” how advertising works. Would be a real help, for both of us. But I already know how it works.

Anyone?

A lot of “words” there E, but none address my “point”. Why is a Canadian astronaut appearing in an Irish “advert” when he has no “connection” to Ireland? Astronauts are not considered “celebrities” outside did their own “countries”. I have no “interest” in hearing about Kevin Bacon or Winston Wolff etc.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement