Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Joe Rogan * Mod Warning Post 234*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭completedit

My problem with Rogan is not so much himself. He says stupid things and has weird opinions but he has like 3 podcasts a week, speaking for 2 hours at a time, he's gonna have some things that people disagree or find odd, but it's more I don't get the point of getting some superficial knowledge on some subject that I'll just forget in a week. He's a great conversationalist to be fair to him and has some insights worth noting but I'm not sure, just not a big fan of the conveyor belt of subject matter.

They seem to go forever and I don't like his voice. I read a book called The Science of Sleep once and just found that the author had been on his show, Matthew Walker, it's very interesting if you're into that kind of thing.

Have you seen that movie?.. It's absolutely brilliant..

(Although probably not related to the book, and like, not factual..)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,634 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

I've never heard of Joe Rogan.
    Should I have had ?

cj maxx wrote: »
    Should I have had ?

Podcaster..some of them are good.. you'll probably take up ju jitsu in a couple of months..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭Ultrflat

Joe Rogan is a pretty decent guy, he seems to have some what of a thirst for knowledge to a degree, Stuff like injury's and stuff. But it gets a little boring when he spends an hour talking to some one like Lard Hamilton about injury's for an hour instead of talking about big wave surfing. He's done some pretty amazing interviews and then some not so much. Like the tony hawk one was disappointing he could of gonna a lot deeper in that but he didn't which was disappointing.

of late I've found hes been obsessing about injurys and treatment rather than talking/learning about the people who hes got on.
    I do think he's a good person tho.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭AlphabetCards

Should I have had ?

I'm sorry, did you say Roe Jogan?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

His podcast can occasionally be good despite Rogan hosting it. Like when he had Bernie Sanders on. Or the physicist Brian Greene.

He also shïtes on far too much about smoking weed. Like all stoners.

Brian Greene and Sean Carroll ( another physicist ) were excellent on it.

Sean Carroll has been on twice at least. Great episodes.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

As Americans go, he's fairly tolerable.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,376 ✭✭✭Homelander

Should I have had ?

I don't listen to his podcasts though they're very popular, but he'd also be very well known for being a high-profile UFC commentator and stand-up comedian.

Years ago he was the host of Fear Factor as well.

I'd say he's the sort of guy most people within a certain age bracket would've at least heard of, even if they're not familiar with him.

I don't rate him as a comedian, not hugely interested in his podcasts but he's a great UFC color commentator.

He is becoming a very very wealthy man from it ( the podcast ) and his other stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,300 ✭✭✭Quandary

Im not a fan of his stand up stuff, but some of his podcasts are great. Some are sh1te, but that's going to be the case if you're churning out the volume he is.

Joe sometimes forgets how wealthy he is when he talks about the things he says everyone should be doing or trying. Slow your roll there Joe, the vast majority of us can't afford to spend 20 mins in our own personal sauna at insanely high temperatures each day to get the benefit of heat shock proteins!

Overall, I quite like his podcasts. He's up there with the very best when it comes to MMA.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭Woke Hogan

I find it difficult to put my finger on why I find Joe Rogan so endlessly fascinating. On the one hand he seems to have to an endless curiosity about the world and genuine interest in learning as much as he can about loads of different topics.

On the other hand he’s incredibly stupid and suggestible to the point that he will accept almost anything told to him by some of these “alternative facts” lunatics he has on without offering any real resistance to their points of view.

Similarly with his stand up: On the one hand I admire that he has made it to the top of a very competitive industry through hard work, discipline and drive after grinding away at it for decades.

On the other hand he’s incredibly stupid and struggles to engage in any kind of back and forth encounters with anyone who isn’t in his circle of meathead close friends/sycophants. In terms of drive he’s at 10/10 but in terms of actually being funny he’s 0/10. He’s not a funny or witty man.

He absolutely refuses to accept any responsibility for offering dangerous nutters like Alex Jones, Ben Shapiro, Ted Nugent and so on a platform for sharing their odious views as well.

Away from going to the sauna or the gym, he needs to learn how to conquer his “inner bitch” when it comes to behaving ethically as a prominent broadcaster while enjoying the windfalls of having developed such a huge following for himself.

If he ever decides to nut up I will have a lot more respect for him and I feel that he will be remembered more fondly in the future after his career is over.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Rodin

Woke Hogan wrote: »
    I find it difficult to put my finger on why I find Joe Rogan so endlessly fascinating. On the one hand he seems to have to an endless curiosity about the world and genuine interest in learning as much as he can about loads of different topics.

On the other hand he’s incredibly stupid and suggestible to the point that he will accept almost anything told to him by some of these “alternative facts” lunatics he has on without offering any real resistance to their points of view.

Similarly with his stand up: On the one hand I admire that he has made it to the top of a very competitive industry through hard work, discipline and drive after grinding away at it for decades.

On the other hand he’s incredibly stupid and struggles to engage in any kind of back and forth encounters with anyone who isn’t in his circle of meathead close friends/sycophants. In terms of drive he’s at 10/10 but in terms of actually being funny he’s 0/10. He’s not a funny or witty man.

He absolutely refuses to accept any responsibility for offering dangerous nutters like Alex Jones, Ben Shapiro, Ted Nugent and so on a platform for sharing their odious views as well.

Away from going to the sauna or the gym, he needs to learn how to conquer his “inner bitch” when it comes to behaving ethically as a prominent broadcaster while enjoying the windfalls of having developed such a huge following for himself.

If he ever decides to nut up I will have a lot more respect for him and I feel that he will be remembered more fondly in the future after his career is over.

I'd never considered Ben Shapiro a dangerous nutter.
    Alex Jones is full of 5h1tt

How exactly is Ben Shapiro dangerous?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,036 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

I'll watch clips of his podcast on Youtube, if he has someone on I'm interested in then I'll check it out. For a comedian, I've never heard him say one single funny/witty thing on his podcasts. Ever. I've never even heard him try and crack a joke. I know his standup (which is terrible) and podcasts are two completely separate things, but you'd think any comedian wouldn't be able to resist cracking the odd joke now and then.

Ben Shapiro is perfectly fine. Politically Centre Right = Absolutely nothing wrong with that !

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Turquoise Hexagon Sun

Not all people think no-platforming is a constructive way handle differing views. I certainly am not a person that believes that. I think people should have the right to be wrong. They have the right to be ****ty and vile it they want to. Censorship snd shutting people down by the way of no-platforming is harmful. It's not good for discourse, not matter how much you think you are on the side of righteousness.

Everyone thinks they are the side of righteousness, so you are biased to you own self-righteousness. I think Joe sees through that.

Alex Jones is mental and Shapiro can say some disagreeable and contentious things but never would the first thought be not to give them a platform. In the marketplace of ideas, these people should have every right to say whatever they want and we can accept their ideas or we can argue with with logic, reasons and facts.

It's the beauty of public discourse and engaging with people with differing views.

I find it highly arrogant when some people or insitututions feel the need to police who and who I shouldn't listen to because they think X or Y is dangerous. It amounts to authoritarianism, censorship and control. I'm not a fan of either of them. Like it wasn't enough that we had church and government telling us what we can and can't see.

I'd rather live in a more liberal society.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭Blowfish

blinding wrote: »
    Brian Greene and Sean Carroll ( another physicist ) were excellent on it.

Sean Carroll has been on twice at least. Great episodes.
    As an aside, Sean Carroll's own podcast is fantastic if you love the nerdier topics like Physics.

Lex Fridman is another guest of Joe Rogan's who's started their own really good podcast for the nerdier stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

blinding wrote: »
    Ben Shapiro is perfectly fine. Politically Centre Right = Absolutely nothing wrong with that !

He done sterling work on the friends of hammas topic.

• Advertisement

• blinding wrote: »

Obama is centre right.

Obama and Shapiro are rather different.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

I like him overall. Sometimes he can be such an American buff though.

Once he was talking about the Clinton Lewinsky scandal. He was talking about the power differential between Clinton and Lewinsky. All grand. Then he said re: Clinton: “Dude, she was an intern and you were the Leader Of The World. THE LEADER OF THE WORLD!”. Aaaaah, calm done there, Joe. There are over 200 countries in the world and the American president is leader of one of them (and its dependencies). I know the US is a superpower but I just thought it was such a clueless, arrogant statement.

The Leah Remini episode is great though. I like how she explains what it’s like to get pulled into the church as a child.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

Just terrible on so many levels, if you're putting out that many shows a week you're forgoing quality for quantity.

I like his curiosity but he lacks any self awareness.

That’s a good summation. He flip flops a lot.
    silverharp wrote: »
    I would have assumed being curious and lacking self awareness are contradictory ideas? you are essentially saying he is a person who approaches things with an open mind but simultaneously lives his life uncanny valley style.

Not at all. You can be curious about other people and ideas whilst having a blind spot about your own shortcomings.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,506 ✭✭✭✭nullzero

Another source of interesting content gone from YouTube.

It's quickly becoming a wasteland filled with boring useless fluff.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭completedit

Do people not have the impression that Rogan puts out information for information sake? All this identity politics chat, perhaps it is important because of the spillover American culture can have but to me most of the chat is just inane. I like MMA but wouldn't listen to the fight shows which I presume are actually the best shows because he actually knows what he's talking about. I don't think the 'just letting experts on for a chat' format works really. You need to have concrete knowledge and research done because too often Rogan goes down these paths of false information with nobody to check him.

Not all people think no-platforming is a constructive way handle differing views. I certainly am not a person that believes that. I think people should have the right to be wrong. They have the right to be ****ty and vile it they want to. Censorship snd shutting people down by the way of no-platforming is harmful. It's not good for discourse, not matter how much you think you are on the side of righteousness.

Everyone thinks they are the side of righteousness, so you are biased to you own self-righteousness. I think Joe sees through that.

Alex Jones is mental and Shapiro can say some disagreeable and contentious things but never would the first thought be not to give them a platform. In the marketplace of ideas, these people should have every right to say whatever they want and we can accept their ideas or we can argue with with logic, reasons and facts.

It's the beauty of public discourse and engaging with people with differing views.

I find it highly arrogant when some people or insitututions feel the need to police who and who I shouldn't listen to because they think X or Y is dangerous. It amounts to authoritarianism, censorship and control. I'm not a fan of either of them. Like it wasn't enough that we had church and government telling us what we can and can't see.

I'd rather live in a more liberal society.

My main issue is that he gives these people a platform without challenging them, fact checking and so on. By all means he can interview Shapiro and Jones but he should also realise that he has a reach similar to a large international newspaper and that he needs similar stringent editorial scrutiny. Presenting evidence for wild claims should be easy if you’re using “logic, reason and facts,” after all, m’gentlesir.

I have listened to dozens of his podcasts and you could count on one hand how often he actually counters people like Shapiro, Jordan Peterson and so on while they’re promoting the dangerous ideas they’re shovelling.

I believe that this is for two reasons: 1) he’s personally too stupid to actually counter their arguments and 2) he doesn’t have the nuts to face up to his responsibilities an influential broadcaster while reaping all of the rewards and perks and hiding behind his weak “I’m just a comedian bro” bleatings.

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭Earendil

How exactly is Ben Shapiro dangerous?

This is how they work when they don’t agree with someone - brand them as ‘dangerous’.

I disagree with most of the far left ideology, but would not be in favour of deplatforming a single one of those commentators. Ironically I feel that would be an infringement on their civil liberties, which I would find unacceptable...regardless of their ‘woke’ crap.

My main issue is that he gives these people a platform without challenging them, fact checking and so on. By all means he can interview Shapiro and Jones but he should also realise that he has a reach similar to a large international newspaper and that he needs similar stringent editorial scrutiny. Presenting evidence for wild claims should be easy if you’re using “logic, reason and facts,” after all, m’gentlesir.

I have listened to dozens of his podcasts and you could count on one hand how often he actually counters people like Shapiro, Jordan Peterson and so on while they’re promoting the dangerous ideas they’re shovelling.

I believe that this is for two reasons: 1) he’s personally too stupid to actually counter their arguments and 2) he doesn’t have the nuts to face up to his responsibilities an influential broadcaster while reaping all of the rewards and perks and hiding behind his weak “I’m just a comedian bro” bleatings.

Is it only the people you oppose ideologically that you want him to question?..
    Have you seen what happened anyone that tried to argue with Peterson or Shapiro?..

Earendil wrote: »
    This is how they work when they don’t agree with someone - brand them as ‘dangerous’.

I disagree with most of the far left ideology, but would not be in favour of deplatforming a single one of those commentators. Ironically I feel that would be an infringement on their civil liberties, which I would find unacceptable...regardless of their ‘woke’ crap.
    Which civil liberties are being infringed exactly when it is suggested that someone like Joe Rogan shouldn’t have certain (let’s call them) ideologues on his programme without fact checking or employing any kind of journalistic scrutiny?

• Advertisement

Is it only the people you oppose ideologically that you want him to question?..
    Have you seen what happened anyone that tried to argue with Peterson or Shapiro?..

I think everyone on a far reaching programme like that should be scrutinised.

I saw this interview with Ben Shapiro. He’s such an effective debater that he managed to get into an argument with himself and had to flee the studio. :D:D:D

https://youtu.be/6VixqvOcK8E

I also watched Peterson debate Zizek. It was the intellectual equivalent of a cat (Zizek) toying with a mouse (Peterson) before killing it. It really showed how much of a complete lightweight Peterson is.

Advertisement