Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Joe Rogan * Mod Warning Post 234*

Options
12345679»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,497 ✭✭✭auspicious

I watched on YouTube the latest appearance of Elon Musk. Pretty bad. Musk was bored. Rogan hadn't an original/insightful question to ask.
    I thought the episode where Neill deGrasse Tyson talked all over him was very funny.
    The guests imo make the show, not the host.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

Meh triggernometry are only meh, like all the other pseud podcasts..

At least Rogan was original..He pretty much started the genre..

What absolute nonsense is this?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭kowloonkev

auspicious wrote: »
    I watched on YouTube the latest appearance of Elon Musk. Pretty bad. Musk was bored. Rogan hadn't an original/insightful question to ask.
    I thought the episode where Neill deGrasse Tyson talked all over him was very funny.

True but I think the best conversations are the ones where Joe hasnt already made up his mind because once he does he's not for turning. And he'll get the vast majority of guests to go along with him especially about health and nutrition.

The preaching gets annoying and if his perfect lifestyle choices are ever questioned he comes out with whataboutery like in the recent podcast when the guest hurt Joe's feelings by saying he doesn't think inhaling any kind of smoke is healthy, to which Joe replied 'well what about sugar?'

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Meh triggernometry are only meh, like all the other pseud podcasts..

At least Rogan was original..He pretty much started the genre..

That’s incorrect, considering he literally told Tom green he took his ideas that he wasn’t making money from and made money from them and called Tom the OG :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

kowloonkev wrote: »
    True but I think the best conversations are the ones where Joe hasnt already made up his mind because once he does he's not for turning. And he'll get the vast majority of guests to go along with him especially about health and nutrition.

The preaching gets annoying and if his perfect lifestyle choices are ever questioned he comes out with whataboutery like in the recent podcast when the guest hurt Joe's feelings by saying he doesn't think inhaling any kind of smoke is healthy, to which Joe replied 'well what about sugar?'

It’s also pretty funny when he starts preaching about comedy, like when he considers something bad comedy. Like I said upthread, I would not guess Joe was a comedian from listening to his podcast alone. His stand up is the gentlest of gentle. :D :pac:

• Advertisement

Some of it I think is that Joe is part of a cadre of similarly unfunny "comics" who are convinced they're as good as all the great comedians and what holds them back is that their comedy is too raw and edgy.

Don't get me wrong, it is raw and edgy alright but so is Eddie Murphy's. His is funny. Theirs isn't. I tried to watch his Netflix special a year or so ago just to give him a chance and I wanted to put my head in the oven after about 20 mins.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,274 ✭✭✭✭Penn

It’s also pretty funny when he starts preaching about comedy, like when he considers something bad comedy. Like I said upthread, I would not guess Joe was a comedian from listening to his podcast alone. His stand up is the gentlest of gentle. :D :pac:

Don't know if it's been posted but saw this recently

NSFW (unless you're working from home, in which case, I don't know, use your own judgement)

Penn wrote: »

NSFW (unless you're working from home, in which case, I don't know, use your own judgement)

That is absolutely outstanding.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

Penn wrote: »

Ha ha, Joe was a bit defensive there. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 33,274 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Ha ha, Joe was a bit defensive there. :D

What I love is that it reveals a) many other comedians don't like some of the material and style of comedy he sometimes does, and b) they haven't watched enough of his stuff to know he does it :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

Since he has one guest each week the show quality varys
    depending on who the guest is, is the guest funny or interesting. I listened to the one with patten osswalt
    It was entertaining and interesting. I think Marc maron is
    a much better interviewer than rogan. I,m not in favor of
    having a guest on a podcast who is their to spread
    weird conspiracy theorys which may be harmful or dangerous as there are some people may actually believe
    them. I think rogan is popular because he, s famous, he
    can get almost anyone to appear on his show he has a wide range of guests. There are much better comedians
    out there who are more funny than rogan.
    He is like the rock of podcasters,
    The rock is not a great actor but he, s very popular with
    the public

• Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭completedit

Do people genuinely watch his 3 hour podcasts with some evolutionary anthropologist? Because the people who I know who like Rogan, cannot imagine them sitting through such videos. They seem to like the ones with his mates but have no interest in Rogan and his buddies circle jerking for 3 hours.

I'll just repeat, I don't see the point in some surface level chit chat no matter how good the guest is. Without some consistent overlap, the information that is relayed in such podcasts will be lost. I think Rogan does well with people who are curious and inquisitive but also who want to think of themselves as intelligent. Rogan is just accessible enough and dumbed down enough no matter the guest to be relatable and not nerdy. Knowledge isn't acquired listening to some uninformed guy(Rogan) chatting with some expert and then that's that. It's passive entertainment. Rogan is a good host in a way but without his UFC links, his podcast is nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭magic_murph

Do people genuinely watch his 3 hour podcasts with some evolutionary anthropologist? Because the people who I know who like Rogan, cannot imagine them sitting through such videos. They seem to like the ones with his mates but have no interest in Rogan and his buddies circle jerking for 3 hours.

I'll just repeat, I don't see the point in some surface level chit chat no matter how good the guest is. Without some consistent overlap, the information that is relayed in such podcasts will be lost. I think Rogan does well with people who are curious and inquisitive but also who want to think of themselves as intelligent. Rogan is just accessible enough and dumbed down enough no matter the guest to be relatable and not nerdy. Knowledge isn't acquired listening to some uninformed guy(Rogan) chatting with some expert and then that's that. It's passive entertainment. Rogan is a good host in a way but without his UFC links, his podcast is nothing.

You obviously don't know anything about this podcast but thanks for spending the time to tell is absolutely nothing.
    Have a good day.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭completedit

I absolutely do

• Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭magic_murph

I absolutely do

Obviously my dad would beat your dad in a fight so best just leave it there.

Lots of pseudo intellectuals out in force here I see.

Rogan is good in that he lets his guests talk at length on a topic. As opposed to the sound bitey soft interviews you get with the likes of CNN and RTE **cough*** Tubridy **cough***.

He also has real leaders in their field on.

In actual fact Tommy Tiernan did something similar with his show, and that's what made it so good compared to the usual tripe served up by RTE.

auspicious wrote: »

Actually after the first hour or so Musk got going, and it was quite entertaining and informative. Strangely he seems to be painfully shy. Probably one of the most difficult guests you could have on any show. Reminds me a bit of this famous car crash guest :

• Registered Users Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭kowloonkev

riclad wrote: »
    Since he has one guest each week the show quality varys
    depending on who the guest is, is the guest funny or interesting. I listened to the one with patten osswalt
    It was entertaining and interesting. I think Marc maron is
    a much better interviewer than rogan.

People like Rogan and his show precisely because he is not an interviewer or a media trained robot. That's why he can get away with a lot of stupid comments because he doesn't have an agenda on most issues, and if he has it's his own personal viewpoint rather than some creep journalist working for CNN or whoever.

People hate the media and journalists and all of that stuff which is why independent podcasts are becoming so popular.

Lol.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

kowloonkev wrote: »
    People like Rogan and his show precisely because he is not an interviewer or a media trained robot. That's why he can get away with a lot of stupid comments because he doesn't have an agenda on most issues, and if he has it's his own personal viewpoint rather than some creep journalist working for CNN or whoever.

People hate the media and journalists and all of that stuff which is why independent podcasts are becoming so popular.

Good Post !

• Advertisement
Advertisement