Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should the 14 day quarantine for tourists and Irish remain?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭RugbyLad11

What human right is infringed upon, by a state stipulating conditions upon entry? People have given out for years that we have a relatively relaxed notion to border control primarily focused on protecting the exchequer. Now they are focusing on movement of people and its frowned upon? Are people not annoyed by the strawberry pickers anymore?

You don't see a problem in locking everyone up for 2 weeks?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭GazzaL

Damn right and that’s the way it should be.

Absolutely **** tourism and business. It’ll save lives. Real life peoples lives. This isn’t a joke ffs.

They've shut down COVID wards in some of the biggest hospitals in the country because they are empty. R0 has been below 1 for months. Meanwhile, people aren't getting the treatment that they need for non-COVID illnesses, they are losing their jobs, their homes, their families, and this will result in huge losses of life. This isn't a joke. You might think it's ok to destroy all these people's lives, but I don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

GazzaL wrote: »
    They've shut down COVID wards in some of the biggest hospitals in the country because they are empty. R0 has been below 1 for months. Meanwhile, people aren't getting the treatment that they need for non-COVID illnesses, they are losing their jobs, their homes, their families, and this will result in huge losses of life. This isn't a joke. You might think it's ok to destroy all these people's lives, but I don't.

Prefer to have people lose jobs than lives. 1 life is worth more that a million jobs.

Prefer to have people lose jobs than lives. 1 life is worth more that a million jobs.

Are you ok with people dying because they're not receiving treatment for non-COVID illnesses? We're paying €115,000,000 per month to keep private hospitals empty and depriving people of medical treatment which they need. There are doctors and nurses in public hospitals that have almost nothing to do because the public have been scared away from attending.

Are you ok with people dying because of depression and suicide because they are losing their families, homes and jobs as a result of the restrictions?

If their lives are worth something, then we need to move in the same direction as the rest of Europe and ease restrictions.

Are you ok with people dying because they're not receiving treatment for non-COVID illnesses? We're paying €115,000,000 per month to keep private hospitals empty and depriving people of medical treatment which they need. There are doctors and nurses in public hospitals that have almost nothing to do because the public have been scared away from attending.

Are you ok with people dying because of depression and suicide because they are losing their families, homes and jobs as a result of the restrictions?

If their lives are worth something, then we need to move in the same direction as the rest of Europe and ease restrictions.

First paragraph is nonsense.

Second part yes, yes I am. People need to man up. Everyone’s dealing with this ****.

And no we do not need to ease restrictions.

• Advertisement

First paragraph is nonsense.

Second part yes, yes I am. People need to man up. Everyone’s dealing with this ****.

And no we do not need to ease restrictions.

First paragraph is entirely factual. You disagree with facts? You don't care that hospitals are lying empty and people aren't receiving medical treatment, and we're wasting taxpayers money to do this?

Second paragraph - you obviously have no idea about mental health, and the massive pressure people are under, and that even more people will come under as reality hits.

It's disgusting how little empathy you have and how little you value other people's lives.

FYI, people are easing restrictions themselves.

First paragraph is entirely factual. You disagree with facts? You don't care that hospitals are lying empty and people aren't receiving medical treatment, and we're wasting taxpayers money to do this?

Second paragraph - you obviously have no idea about mental health, and the massive pressure people are under, and that even more people will come under as reality hits.

It's disgusting how little empathy you have and how little you value other people's lives.

I’m saying save lives.

You’re saying lets reopen.

**** will hit the fan very quickly when this inevitably kicks off again in a big way.

Asymptomatic footballers are finding out they had the virus after going to training.

The only reason it’s under control is because most of us are being responsible.

11 people died in this county today from Covid. Real death. Not “mental Illness”. Actual death.

I’m saying save lives.

You’re saying lets reopen.

**** will hit the fan very quickly when this inevitably kicks off again in a big way.

Asymptomatic footballers are finding out they had the virus after going to training.

The only reason it’s under control is because most of us are being responsible.

11 people died in this county today from Covid. Real death. Not “mental Illness”. Actual death.

I'm saying save lives and reopen safely. All across Europe they're reopening safely. I don't think you have any understanding of other people's lives, no empathy, and no grasp of reality as an indefinite lockdown is completely off the wall and will result in "real death" as you put it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 904 ✭✭✭Blaze420

Specifically Europe but block all travel from the US in full - when they don’t have a guy that’s gone full retard in charge we can review if.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,304 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Let’s do it logically and safely folks

• Advertisement

I'm saying save lives and reopen safely. All across Europe they're reopening safely. I don't think you have any understanding of other people's lives, no empathy, and no grasp of reality as an indefinite lockdown is completely off the wall and will result in "real death" as you put it.

There is no reopen safely. None.

There will be a second wave because people are already flaunting the laws now never mind when you get your wish and they can do whatever the **** they want.

There will be a second wave because people are already flaunting the laws now never mind when you get your wish and they can do whatever the **** they want.

There won’t be a 2nd wave so stop talking ****

• Registered Users Posts: 15,201 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Jesus christ this has been done for ages across multiple threads. It's your opinion that there will be a second wave, it isn't a fact, there hasn't been one across other countries in Europe that have reopened up to a month ago. So your entitled to your opinion but to say there will be a second wave is presenting it as fact when you and I both know nobody can present anything as fact only opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,613 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Nope. This doesn’t apply to Ireland to uk and vice versa. “ Do the quarantine rules apply to everybody?
    There are a number of groups who are exempt, including:
    Road haulage and freight workers
    Medical officials who are travelling to help fight coronavirus
    Anyone arriving from the Republic of Ireland, the Channel Islands, or the Isle of Man
    Seasonal agricultural workers if they self-isolate on the property where they are working” https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/explainers-52544307

Wrong Maryanne, it is not reciprocal. An Irish resident can go to the UK and when they arrive back here they have to self quarantine for 14 days on arrival. A UK resident arriving in Ireland has to self quantine on arrival. No matter what way you look at it travelling here from abroad involves 14 days of isolation and traveling elsewhere and then back to here also involves the 14 days.

• Registered Users Posts: 658 ✭✭✭gral6

It's a joke...I'd like to see Tony Hologan and Simon Harris taking care after patients in Nursing homes...do something useful...What a ...ucking joke

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭Aph2016

Utter madness. Holohan needs to fade back into obscurity, he's a lunatic.

gral6 wrote: »
    It's a joke...I'd like to see Tony Hologan and Simon Harris taking care after patients in Nursing homes...do something useful...What a ...ucking joke

The hard fact to swallow is that nursing/care homes likely can’t be saved from it. If it’s in those settings and rampant as it appears then there is no slowing it down to stopping it apart from burning the place down and moving the residents. It’s just a horrible cold reality of this we have to face

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭statesaver

So, is the Government against open travel now ? I thought that was against EU law

statesaver wrote: »
    So, is the Government against open travel now ? I thought that was against EU law

There is no open travel at present and I fully support them in the restricting visitors here for 2 weeks. Next step is to put the big boy balls on and ban all travel inbound and outbound to the US.

Blaze420 wrote: »
    There is no open travel at present and I fully support them in the restricting visitors here for 2 weeks. Next step is to put the big boy balls on and ban all travel inbound and outbound to the US.

Might be a good idea to shoot all the passengers at the passport control here upon arrival !
    Harris and Hologan would love it ! Virus is being supressed successfully at the arrival hall!

• Advertisement

Might be a good idea to shoot all the passengers at the passport control here upon arrival !
    Harris and Hologan would love it ! Virus is being supressed successfully at the arrival hall!

Your sarcasm game is weak son.

Your sarcasm game is weak son.

Spacesuit for everyone could work better!

Spacesuit for everyone could work better!

Maybe if we just torniqeted their necks with stockings altogether

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Could we have the tourist quarantine a holiday destination? Perhaps a taste of the coffin ship.

The hard fact to swallow is that nursing/care homes likely can’t be saved from it. If it’s in those settings and rampant as it appears then there is no slowing it down to stopping it apart from burning the place down and moving the residents. It’s just a horrible cold reality of this we have to face

The HSE are asking nursing homes to take in patients discharged from hospitals without any testing for COVID-19. They're denying there's any evidence that infection spread into homes by hospital discharges.

These are the people that brought us the cervical check scandal, and countless other scandals, the biggest failed organisation in the history of the State, so what can we honestly expect when they're left to run the country?

The HSE are asking nursing homes to take in patients discharged from hospitals without any testing for COVID-19. They're denying there's any evidence that infection spread into homes by hospital discharges.

These are the people that brought us the cervical check scandal, and countless other scandals, the biggest failed organisation in the history of the State, so what can we honestly expect when they're left to run the country?

But it’s already been ascertained that the infections are nothing to do with hospital transfers and likely to be the agency workers bringing it in

But it’s already been ascertained that the infections are nothing to do with hospital transfers and likely to be the agency workers bringing it in

But why take the risk? These are the people most at risk, the most vulnerable. They're ****ing around destroying families, jobs and businesses, while not focusing on the nursing homes.

But why take the risk? These are the people most at risk, the most vulnerable. They're ****ing around destroying families, jobs and businesses, while not focusing on the nursing homes.

So “cocoon” them, lock them down and restrict all visitors until it’s under control. It’s highly unfortunate but I still don’t see why the whole country has to remain in stasis because of these institutions.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

There is no open travel at present and I fully support them in the restricting visitors here for 2 weeks.

Correct me if i’m wrong but there isn’t any mandatory 14 day isolation in this country from next week. I believe the new law is to make people give their details and where they are staying on entry to Ireland. If a virus outbreak happens they’ll be able to contact trace it.

• Advertisement

Micky 32 wrote: »
    Correct me if i’m wrong but there isn’t any mandatory 14 day isolation in this country from next week. I believe the new law is to make people give their details and where they are staying on entry to Ireland. If a virus outbreak happens they’ll be able to contact trace it.

It’s mandatory from next week- and hopefully our government and gardai have the balls and capability to actually enforce it. I’m sick of seeing traveller scum flout the rules like none of it applies to them

Advertisement