Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

4k Fire TV stick - PLEASE READ OP BEFORE ASKING QUESTIONS

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,394 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

twirlagig wrote: »
    I bought one this afternoon on Amazon... not the 4K one, the ordinary one. Was £24.99, will be delivered using AddressPal.
    I’ve been loving the All4 app lately, ads on it aren’t awfully long to put up with up in the first place but I’ve been seeing people saying it’s great for watching All4 with no ads... how does this work?
    Not looking to derail the thread so if can someone could PM me that would be great... and if not, that’s ok too :)
    I love gadgets anyway so looking forward to getting it :)

My all4 has ads

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,374 ✭✭✭twirlagig

TheDriver wrote: »
    My all4 has ads

My bad, sorry... I thought I read that somewhere..

My bad, sorry... I thought I read that somewhere..

You don't need a vpn for all4, it even has Irish ads.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭bobgaf

Is the only difference between the Fire TV Stick 4K and the standard Fire TV Stick the 4K capability ?
    Don't need the 4K capability but if there were other benefits to having the 4K version, I might wait for
    that to drop in price.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,755 ✭✭✭DopeTech

bobgaf wrote: »
    Is the only difference between the Fire TV Stick 4K and the standard Fire TV Stick the 4K capability ?
    Don't need the 4K capability but if there were other benefits to having the 4K version, I might wait for
    that to drop in price.

Everyone says the performance is far better on the 4k model. I don't have either myself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭kaerobe

blastman wrote: »
    I hardly use the smart part of the TV any more (although admittedly it is a few years old at this stage). If you're being legal, you won't find it a huge benefit over your TV.

I have a wealth of channels for free or for cheap, legally, using a VPN.

All4
    ITV Hub
    BBC iPlayer
    RTE Player (sideload)
    Pluto TV (loads of US TV Channels)
    TV Player (stream the BBC, C4, ITV for free, or pay 6 pounds for loads of channels)]
    HULU (pay with Revolut)
    HBO NOW (loads on it for free, pay for sub via HULU, or try 1 week free. HBO MAX launching end of the month with access for those paying for NOW via HULU)
    Netflix (VPN allows you to change region and access more content)
    Prime Video
    MUBI (free for college/film/art students, or 1 month free)
    Disney+

All legal, some paid, a lot free. Firestick does it all - far more than most smart TVs.
    Sky Go/Now TV is the only app thats not supported.
    DopeTech wrote: »
    Everyone says the performance is far better on the 4k model. I don't have either myself.

Performance and speed is better I believe? I think its 8GB storage, not to mention ''future proof'' if you get a new TV.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭podge018

ablelocks wrote: »
    I have one on each TV and one for work travel when I'm overnighting in hotels, or going on holidays.

Never been able to connect mine to a hotel tv unfortunately, either the back of it is inaccessible or there's no HDMI port or I can't switch source on the remote or something. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭headnorth

All4
    ITV Hub
    BBC iPlayer
    RTE Player (sideload)
    TV Player (stream the BBC, C4, ITV for free, or pay 6 pounds for loads of channels)]
    HULU (pay with Revolut)
    HBO NOW (loads on it for free, pay for sub via HULU, or try 1 week free. HBO MAX launching end of the month with access for those paying for NOW via HULU)
    Prime Video
    Disney+

Also Epix Now, Sling TV, Directv, Vudu(free movies & TV with Ads) Britbox, Cbs All Access, Shudder.. I've probably forgotten a few more. Accounts are cheap if ya know where to look 😜 All work with Smartdnsproxy ðŸ‘

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

ITV Hub works without VPN on my box.

I couldnt be bothered with VPN

Where did APK for RTE player come from? I tried and never worked

• Registered Users Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭Cerco

You don't need a vpn for all4, it even has Irish ads.

Not all content is available without vpn. Some box sets/series are geo restricted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭Roberto_gas

I bought one this afternoon on Amazon... not the 4K one, the ordinary one. Was £24.99, will be delivered using AddressPal.
    I’ve been loving the All4 app lately, ads on it aren’t awfully long to put up with up in the first place but I’ve been seeing people saying it’s great for watching All4 with no ads... how does this work?
    Not looking to derail the thread so if can someone could PM me that would be great... and if not, that’s ok too :)
    I love gadgets anyway so looking forward to getting it :)

You can get 4K one for same price...keep an eye on various offers which keep coming up now and then

• Registered Users Posts: 626 ✭✭✭shardylan

Was looking to buy a 2nd basic one and priced it at €40 inc delivery with curry’s . Just found it on curry’s eBay store for £25 but there’s a 5% discount applied to curry’s so it brought down to £23.70 (around €27) so with parcel motel I’ll save €9 and it’ll get here quicker than the 9 working days curry’s were saying
    Just checked and the 4K on there as well is £46.55 (5% discount ) with free delivery

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭konline

Does anyone know if we can get Free News Channels, like CNN, Fox news, etc, with this stick? I mean without using a VPN. Thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭sgarvan

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    Where did APK for RTE player come from? I tried and never worked

https://www.joujoujou.com/images/rte.apk

This one works perfect for me.

sgarvan wrote: »
    https://www.joujoujou.com/images/rte.apk

This one works perfect for me.

only issue with that one is that its for live tv. If you want catch up, you need the one from last may

• Registered Users Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭BionicRasher

only issue with that one is that its for live tv. If you want catch up, you need the one from last may

can you have both on the same stick?
    It would be good for a TV I have that has no RTE on it as its not connected to any antenna

• Registered Users Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭jgbyr

This one was posted here somewhere before. Works fine for catch up.

https://aapks.com/apk/rte-rte/version/42841347

• Registered Users Posts: 5,716 ✭✭✭masterboy123

Some pics from the box.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,716 ✭✭✭masterboy123

Some pics from the box.

20200521-155023.jpg

20200521-155110.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭Ohmeha

jgbyr wrote: »
    This one was posted here somewhere before. Works fine for catch up.

https://aapks.com/apk/rte-rte/version/42841347
    Working perfect for me!

• Advertisement

can you have both on the same stick?
    It would be good for a TV I have that has no RTE on it as its not connected to any antenna

Yes, v1 or 2 seems to be considered different to v3. I have both on my firestick.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭BionicRasher

Yes, v1 or 2 seems to be considered different to v3. I have both on my firestick.

So the version I have is 2.0.93
    Works fine for catch up
    Are you saying that v3 is also available and has live tv?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭McSween

Im new to this but it says Pluto is not available on mine. Do i have to get it via Downloader?

McSween wrote: »
    Im new to this but it says Pluto is not available on mine. Do i have to get it via Downloader?

You must "be in USA"

• Registered Users Posts: 8,091 ✭✭✭batistuta9

You must "be in USA"

There's a version on the UK store too. I downloaded it but have smartdns so unsure what content I'm accessing.
    What's on the US one do you know?
    So the version I have is 2.0.93
    Works fine for catch up
    Are you saying that v3 is also available and has live tv?

The normal android app for your phone has live TV, but doesn't work with the firestick remote like the android TV version. You can transfer it from your phone but you'll need a mousetoggle app to use it

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭garyskeepers

Hey guys.. So the regukar ol firestick is reduced.

If ya don't have a 4k TV, is this ok to get.?

I have a nice Sony bravia. Its a decent TV, but cant download apps on it.. It has some preinstalled apps but cant download others, like Disney etc.

If the regular version ok for me?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0791RGQW3/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&psc=1

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭bromley52

The 4K version has a faster processor and delivers a smooth operating experience. I picked mine up on Prime Day 2019 for £25.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭Happy4all

bromley52 wrote: »
    The 4K version has a faster processor and delivers a smooth operating experience. I picked mine up on Prime Day 2019 for £25.

Are they still available at that price?

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭headnorth

Happy4all wrote: »
    Are they still available at that price?

Not at the moment. I have seen also that prime day is happening later than usual this year around September but the 4k version might pop up from some sellers for a reduced price before then,(fingers crossed)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭kaerobe

headnorth wrote: »
    All4
    ITV Hub
    BBC iPlayer
    RTE Player (sideload)
    HULU (pay with Revolut)
    Prime Video
    Disney+

Also Epix Now, Sling TV, Directv, Vudu(free movies & TV with Ads) Britbox, Cbs All Access, Shudder.. I've probably forgotten a few more. Accounts are cheap if ya know where to look �� All work with Smartdnsproxy ðŸ‘

Thanks for the extra sources. I may look in to a few of them as I hadnt considered Sling etc. Honestly the Firestick is the first device Ive owned that sometimes I feel overwhelmed by content choice. Plus Spotify/Apple Music integration and Alexa smart home control make it a great piece of kit.

Side ''bargain''. I cant stop singing the praises of HBO. HBO Max is due to launch next week which is the full back catalog of HBO with Warner's backing - a huge amount of content including Friends (and the reboot) etc. I got an email about a 1 year deal for anyone looking to sign up at 11.99 dollars a month for the first year. Must have US CC.

Last Chance to Save
    Last call for this offer! Preorder HBO Max and get access instantly on May 27. Even better? You can start streaming HBO NOW while you wait.
    $14.99 (normally) $11.99* / month for 12 months. Cancel anytime

I sub via HULU so cant avail. You need a VPN or Smart DNS to access HBO from Ireland. Ive no issues connecting with ExpressVPN

You must "be in USA"

If you use a browser to access Amazon US, you can look up the apps by searching as you would a product, you should have the option to download or ''deliver'' the content on the right hand side, choose your device, very simple.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement