Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Any info out there on TOOL.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,377 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

Banzai600 wrote: »
    ive great respect and admiration for tool both from a listeners and musicians perspective.

im struggling with the new album, but not going to give up yet.

I don't get this attitude. There are thousands of bands who are phenomenal musicians and create works which may or may not be to your taste. Do you persist with multiples of listens to something that you don't like/get out of respect with all of them too?
    Life is too short, if you don't like something why not just move on and listen to an album you actually do like?
    I only bought the digital version so I've already deleted the 4 tracks I've no interest in and may cull another yet. The remainder goes well with the 7 track version of 10,000 days I've curated.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,348 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

I've probably listened to this less than 10,000 days and I really didn't warm to that album.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭TheW1zard

The clue is in the name

• Registered Users Posts: 14,319 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Found myself going back to this a bit lately.

I recently got a new fancy-dan pair of headphones and have been listening to a lot of old and new music with new ears. Sometimes having really good sound quality does albums no favours and actually makes you realise how badly mixed or compressed things really are, when you listen forensically. Fear Innoculum is one of the best sounding albums I've listened to. Everything is so pristine and mixed perfectly - it's fcking outstanding stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,138 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Arghus wrote: »
    Found myself going back to this a bit lately.

I recently got a new fancy-dan pair of headphones and have been listening to a lot of old and new music with new ears. Sometimes having really good sound quality does albums no favours and actually makes you realise how badly mixed or compressed things really are, when you listen forensically. Fear Innoculum is one of the best sounding albums I've listened to. Everything is so pristine and mixed perfectly - it's fcking outstanding stuff.

Don’t know what cans you’re using but try streaming on soundcloud. I think it’s a higher bit rate than Spotify. At least it sounds like it. The sound card in the device your listening on can make a big difference too.

• Advertisement

MadYaker wrote: »
    Don’t know what cans you’re using but try streaming on soundcloud. I think it’s a higher bit rate than Spotify. At least it sounds like it. The sound card in the device your listening on can make a big difference too.

Using tidal, an external Dac and a headphone Amp.

• Registered Users Posts: 962 ✭✭✭Burty330

FI is an incredible album. Took me a while to fully appreciate how good it is. Invincible and Descending take the biscuit for me. I haven't heard a band push boundaries like that in a long time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭CardBordWindow

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭Echoes675

Sounds very Fear Inoculum. Hopefully the time in lockdown has let them get on to do some more recording as Danny had mentioned about a possible EP or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭stevek93

• Advertisement

Where can I buy Fear Inoculum? I just want a normal CD not the special edition or anything or the sorts.

Is there a normal CD version of Fear Inoculum? Is the version with the book the most 'normal' version?

S.M.B. wrote: »
    Is there a normal CD version of Fear Inoculum? Is the version with the book the most 'normal' version?

Only 2 editions of FI were released physically, The book (which is £26 on Amazon atm) or the one with the video screen (£69.99 on Amazon)

Echoes675 wrote: »
    Only 2 editions of FI were released physically, The book (which is £26 on Amazon atm) or the one with the video screen (£69.99 on Amazon)

Do you have a link for the book?

That's what I thought but I wasn't sure if they finally got around to releasing a standard version that I missed.

stevek, https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07ZW9PY6B/

S.M.B. wrote: »
    That's what I thought but I wasn't sure if they finally got around to releasing a standard version that I missed.

stevek, https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07ZW9PY6B/

Fantastic thank you, that will play happily in my marantz amp/cd stack :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭rainagain

• Registered Users Posts: 37,709 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

I really want to learn the bass after listening to 'The Pot'

Amazing song and Bass playing. Hell the guitar and drums are amazing too

• Registered Users Posts: 1,925 ✭✭✭Paleface

I haven't seen this video mentioned in the thread yet but I'm sure a lot of people have seen it. For anyone that hasn't enjoy!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,833 ✭✭✭Useful.Idiot

Paleface wrote: »
    I haven't seen this video mentioned in the thread yet but I'm sure a lot of people have seen it. For anyone that hasn't enjoy!

I've seen it many times but it's so great that I'm definitely going to watch again now that you've reminded!

• Advertisement

Maynard has a new album out with Puscifer.

Hate to say it, but I've been bored pretty rigid with any Puscifer I've heard up until this point and this album is no different.

Maynard has a new album out with Puscifer.

Hate to say it, but I've been bored pretty rigid with any Puscifer I've heard up until this point and this album is no different.

Aye it's not for me either. I much preferred APC

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,197 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

I loved Money Shot tbh, one of my favourite albums of the last decade.

Latest is a bit meh though.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

Aye it's not for me either. I much preferred APC

Thought the last APC album was terrible too! I actually find it hard to listen to Maynard on that album or on the Puscifer stuff. It sounds to me as if there's loads of effects and post production done on his voice.

Thought the last APC album was terrible too! I actually find it hard to listen to Maynard on that album or on the Puscifer stuff. It sounds to me as if there's loads of effects and post production done on his voice.

Think I gave that a single listen, says it all really.

But I really enjoyed Mer de Noms, 13th Step and eMotive.

Up til a couple of years ago I'd have still said Tool were my favourite band despite no new music in over a decade. Best gig I've ever been to as well.
    I tried listening to the new album when it came out and fell asleep both times.
    I've had issues with listening to music for the last while but got my decent headphones out today and decided to give it another listen. I couldn't get past the first 2 songs. It's just so incredibly boring. There's plenty of bits that people will think is clever but that's the best thing I can say about them. I'll skip ahead at some point and try to listen to the rest at some stage but **** me I'm already dreading the thought of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭frag420

Up til a couple of years ago I'd have still said Tool were my favourite band despite no new music in over a decade. Best gig I've ever been to as well.
    I've had issues with listening to music for the last while but got my decent headphones out today and decided to give it another listen. I couldn't get past the first 2 songs. It's just so incredibly boring. There's plenty of bits that people will think is clever but that's the best thing I can say about them. I'll skip ahead at some point and try to listen to the rest at some stage but **** me I'm already dreading the thought of it.

It’s probably your headphones then...;)

Yeah or maybe I just don't "get" it. :rolleyes:

I can see where you are coming from. There's only three songs on the album that I keep returning too - Descending, Invincible and Tempest - the rest are just okay in my book. But even if it's only three songs - that's still longer than most albums.

Having said that, I think Descending is a fantastic piece of music and Invincible and Tempest are pretty great.

I wouldn't put the album anywhere near the standard of Lateralus and Aenima and it's a definitely slower, a bit more ponderous, with a distinct lack of Maynard for long stretches, but I kinda appreciate it for being a bit mellow and almost "older" sounding.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,015 ✭✭✭✭adox

Pneuma is the best song on the album for me.

Advertisement