Advertisement
Boards are fundraising to help the people of Ukraine via the Red Cross at this horrific time. Please donate and share if you can, you will find the link here. Many thanks.

Any info out there on TOOL.

191012141517

Comments

  • Registered Users Posts: 11,471 ✭✭✭✭ MadYaker


    Yeah 3 arena surely. Album came in a number 4 in the album charts which is kind of amazing. Hopefully a european tour in 2020.


  • Registered Users Posts: 4,642 ✭✭✭ PropJoe10


    I didnt make it to the gig in 06 so Tool is pretty much top of my list of bands I've yet to see live. Really hoping for more European dates. Hopefully something will be announced.


  • Registered Users Posts: 13,073 ✭✭✭✭ Arghus


    I'd be very surprised if they skip over us, the album landed at number four in the charts and it'll be the 3Arena or nowhere. They've been an arena band ever since Lateralus.


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭ Useful.Idiot


    Hopefully they'll come here but don't bet on it either. They're well worth a short plane journey and a couple nights away anywhere though.


  • Registered Users Posts: 9,117 ✭✭✭ S.M.B.


    I'll be doing their London Arena date and I'm actually looking forward to seeing them from a decent seat as opposed to a standing viewpoint. That could just be my age showing though.


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,095 ✭✭✭ frag420


    I remember seeing them in the SFX back in the day...


  • Registered Users Posts: 9,117 ✭✭✭ S.M.B.


    Lateralus tour? Definitely one of my top 5 gigs.


  • Registered Users Posts: 14,346 ✭✭✭✭ Grayditch


    Seems the album hit no.1 in the states.


  • Registered Users Posts: 3,673 ✭✭✭ fyfe79


    Anyone else order the CD from WOWHD and are still waiting? I pre-ordered it on Aug 14th and got a shipping notice at the end of the month but no sign as yet :(


  • Registered Users Posts: 3,083 ✭✭✭ stevek93


    I seen them in Amsterdam this year. Holy balls I was blown away


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30 davr


    FYFE79 -Yes same boat but won't be too worried just yet.


  • Registered Users Posts: 3 Speedwolf


    stevek93 wrote: »
    I seen them in Amsterdam this year. Holy balls I was blown away

    I saw them in Amsterdam too. Decending was amazing. One of the best live bands out there.


  • Registered Users Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭ s8n


    Seen them at Rock Werchter, it was incredible.

    Also lucky enough to have been at the SFX show back in 2001 - Recording of show can be found here https://tooldriveproject.net/Details/?ID=629


  • Registered Users Posts: 13,073 ✭✭✭✭ Arghus


    s8n wrote: »
    Seen them at Rock Werchter, it was incredible.

    Also lucky enough to have been at the SFX show back in 2001 - Recording of show can be found here https://tooldriveproject.net/Details/?ID=629

    That's cool. Thanks bro!


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,406 ✭✭✭ cosatron


    the sfx gig was the best gig I was ever at. In Ænema when he was singing we are praying for rain and the whole crowd raised there hands in air was pretty cool.


  • Registered Users Posts: 4,642 ✭✭✭ PropJoe10


    Pneuma is one of my favourite tracks they've ever done, I think. The album continues to grow on me.


  • Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭ Vudgie


    PropJoe10 wrote: »
    Pneuma is one of my favourite tracks they've ever done, I think. The album continues to grow on me.

    I still can't get Eminem's 'Lose Yourself' out of my head when the main riff starts ;)

    I'm loving the album, my favourtie song changes all the time which is a great sign.


  • Registered Users Posts: 14,346 ✭✭✭✭ Grayditch


    Vudgie wrote: »
    I still can't get Eminem's 'Lose Yourself' out of my head when the main riff starts ;)

    Thanks for that!


  • Registered Users Posts: 2,871 ✭✭✭ DeadSkin


    Vudgie wrote: »
    I still can't get Eminem's 'Lose Yourself' out of my head when the main riff starts ;)

    I'm loving the album, my favourtie song changes all the time which is a great sign.
    Grayditch wrote: »
    Thanks for that!

    Haha!! I break into a bit of Danzig (Motheeeeeerrrrr!!) about 6 mins or so into "Culling Voices".


  • Registered Users Posts: 4,642 ✭✭✭ PropJoe10


    Vudgie wrote: »
    I still can't get Eminem's 'Lose Yourself' out of my head when the main riff starts ;)

    I'm loving the album, my favourtie song changes all the time which is a great sign.

    Going to ignore that first part although that's probably the one Eminem song that I like! :D

    Album is amazing yeah. Really into Pneuma, the title track and Culling Voices at the mo. 7empest hasn't really grabbed me so far but I'm sure that'll happen at some stage.


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭ Wrongway1985




  • Registered Users Posts: 9,117 ✭✭✭ S.M.B.


    Hearing that some of these riffs have been around for potentially 20+ years and given that the band haven't really evolved their sound much over the years explains a lot I think.


  • Registered Users Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭ s8n



    ??


  • Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭ devildriver


    s8n wrote: »
    Seen them at Rock Werchter, it was incredible.

    Also lucky enough to have been at the SFX show back in 2001 - Recording of show can be found here https://tooldriveproject.net/Details/?ID=629

    Nice one. I was at the SFX gig too, I could have sworn it was in the 90s but there you go. The visuals on stage were amazing.

    And also was at Toolfest in Kildare way back when. Never so glad to have a headliner (Ozzy) cancel on the day of the show !:)

    https://tooldriveproject.net/Details/?ID=972


  • Registered Users Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭ MayoForSam


    fyfe79 wrote: »
    Anyone else order the CD from WOWHD and are still waiting? I pre-ordered it on Aug 14th and got a shipping notice at the end of the month but no sign as yet :(

    Mine arrived today (US postal address), I got stung for 20 Euro duty and handling charge, wife wasn't too impressed :). It better be worth it, still haven't taken it out of the packaging....


  • Registered Users Posts: 3,673 ✭✭✭ fyfe79


    MayoForSam wrote: »
    Mine arrived today (US postal address), I got stung for 20 Euro duty and handling charge, wife wasn't too impressed :). It better be worth it, still haven't taken it out of the packaging....

    Exact bloody same! Import tax of €8.68 and An Post charged €10 on top of it, thieving gits. I was under the impression originally it was being shipped from Holland, not the US.

    I downloaded a torrent of it when it came out. Gas, isn't it - buy the album and wait 3 weeks for it, or download it illegally on the day of release (even prior to release sometimes). Anyway, I've been listening to it pretty much every day for the last 3 weeks and it's pretty excellent. The only song that isn't doing much for me is 7empest, but I agree with other comments that Pneuma is especially good.


  • Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭ skD13


    The drums are just insane. Love it. You'd almost be in a trance listening to the album. Even the wife and kids are intrigued and this would not normally be the kind of thing on their playlists.


  • Registered Users Posts: 805 ✭✭✭ xerces


    Love the new album, favourite tracks are Pneuma, Descending and 7empest.

    Funny that you mention Eminem, upon first hearing the album I thought there were parts of 7empest where Maynard sounds very like him. Like the passage that begins "Calm as cookies and cream…" and ends with "…state of serenity". Maybe they were listening to some Eminem records in the creation process :D. Like Passenger said, the song is like a prog-pilgrimage, similar somewhat to what Steven Wilson could create but in metal.

    Saw them in Zurich on their recent European tour and it was amazing. The Pot, Forty Six & Two, Jambi and the two new tracks were great to experience live, along with that stage setup and visuals they had for moments like the guitar solo at the end of Descending, never seen anything like it.


  • Registered Users Posts: 14,346 ✭✭✭✭ Grayditch


    I think I may have listened to Fear Inoculum maybe 20 times through now (Not obsessive, I've just left the CD in the car and never changed it) and I have to say there is some delicious layering going on here.

    I know people who are far bigger Tool fans than me and blasted through a torrernted version on their laptop speakers once and dismissed is as "nothing new" and meh.

    Listen, this album is far from perfection. And when you're hitting the 13 year mark, "worth the wait" goes out the window. You have make peace with that. Or not. Whichever.

    But here it is. This is an absolutely fantastic album that literally no other band could have put out. It drags in parts and explodes beautifully in others. It's NEW TOOL! It's old Tool. It's very Tool.

    When Pneuma finally breaks properly at the end it marks one of the most rewarding moments in music ... ever. Up there with the end of Paranoid Android or Three Days BY Jane's Addiction.

    7empest is a brick sh1thouse epic. No doubt about it.

    Yeah, I guess I love it.


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,642 ✭✭✭ PropJoe10


    Grayditch wrote: »
    I think I may have listened to Fear Inoculum maybe 20 times through now (Not obsessive, I've just left the CD in the car and never changed it) and I have to say there is some delicious layering going on here.

    I know people who are far bigger Tool fans than me and blasted through a torrernted version on their laptop speakers once and dismissed is as "nothing new" and meh.

    Listen, this album is far from perfection. And when you're hitting the 13 year mark, "worth the wait" goes out the window. You have make peace with that. Or not. Whichever.

    But here it is. This is an absolutely fantastic album that literally no other band could have put out. It drags in parts and explodes beautifully in others. It's NEW TOOL! It's old Tool. It's very Tool.

    When Pneuma finally breaks properly at the end it marks one of the most rewarding moments in music ... ever. Up there with the end of Paranoid Android or Three Days BY Jane's Addiction.

    7empest is a brick sh1thouse epic. No doubt about it.

    Yeah, I guess I love it.

    Couldnt have put that any better myself. It's nothing new, but there's parts of this album that reflect Tool at their very, very best. Each time I listen I get spine tingling moments and as you said, there's literally no other band (maybe in history) that could put out an album quite like this.

    Album of the past few years, for me, and maybe for this entire decade.

    P.S that bit in Pneuma where the guitar cuts across the bass riff at 4.00 and then into the vocal part is one of the best things I've ever heard from anyone. Big statement but I stand by it.


Advertisement