Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vodafone X - €20 Prepay Offers

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,637 ✭✭✭corks finest

okidoki987 wrote: »
    I corrected the other post, they don't do PAYG , it's a €15 30 day rolling contract.

Apart from the SMS text problem.
    Just checked D/L 49.1Mbps, U/L 8.6Mbps, not sure if that's good or bad but at €15 a month with the now totally unlimited Data, as well as calls and texts suits me.
    That's good speeds,ref rolling contract can u opt out when u want, it's a bit confusing on the site ,so many options,thank you

• Registered Users Posts: 12,412 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

massy086 wrote: »
    Out of curiosity why are vf capping the speeds now.im on a plan called data user got it on boards.15gb data unlimited calls and texts 20€.I haven't got any text to say they are doing this to me but if they do I'll jump ship straight away.
    There is an agreement in place due to covid19
    that nearly all providers provide a reasonable effort at an unlimited plan. I take it that this is VFs method

TheDriver wrote: »
    that nearly all providers provide a reasonable effort at an unlimited plan. I take it that this is VFs method

Don't think covid has anything to do with it, otherwise in the email sent it obviously would have mentioned the temporary state of this,as they will undoubtedly lose customers,2 alone in our house

• Registered Users Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭Ah-Watch

TheDriver wrote: »

I reckon it just pushed them to release their unlimited plans quicker. If you look at Vodafone UK they have different tiers, some maximum speeds and others with a max of 10Mbps too. Vodafone AU have it structured as XGB at fastest speed available then 1.5Mbps and same with Telstra. All of the postpaid networks in the US have different tiers too- the cheaper the plan the lower the priority of your connection - if you want the fastest available you pay a bit more. These types of plans are the new norm around the world. EE in the UK have several different plans at a max of 60Mbps and others with fastest speeds available. Given that GoMo offer unlimited calls texts and data for €12.99, Eir for €14.99 for 6 months both at unlimited speeds Vodafone should try compete a bit more like maybe including unlimited mins for the €20 but the speed limit and the 100 mins its not very competitive. GoMo did have a line somewhere that at times of congestion speeds would be limited to something like 10 too but that was only if the network was heavy- I don't know if that's still there.

I'm on Red Max Sim Only and consider myself a heavy data user and going to stick on that as long as I can as you can use your full data allowance when roaming in the US/Canada etc where as the new plans limit it to 500MB a day.

Ah-Watch wrote: »
    I reckon it just pushed them to release their unlimited plans quicker. If you look at Vodafone UK they have different tiers, some maximum speeds and others with a max of 10Mbps too. Vodafone AU have it structured as XGB at fastest speed available then 1.5Mbps and same with Telstra. All of the postpaid networks in the US have different tiers too- the cheaper the plan the lower the priority of your connection - if you want the fastest available you pay a bit more. These types of plans are the new norm around the world. EE in the UK have several different plans at a max of 60Mbps and others with fastest speeds available. Given that GoMo offer unlimited calls texts and data for €12.99, Eir for €14.99 for 6 months both at unlimited speeds Vodafone should try compete a bit more like maybe including unlimited mins for the €20 but the speed limit and the 100 mins its not very competitive. GoMo did have a line somewhere that at times of congestion speeds would be limited to something like 10 too but that was only if the network was heavy- I don't know if that's still there.

I'm on Red Max Sim Only and consider myself a heavy data user and going to stick on that as long as I can as you can use your full data allowance when roaming in the US/Canada etc where as the new plans limit it to 500MB a day.

As eir own go mo AFAIK I couldn't go with them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭Ah-Watch

As eir own go no AFAIK I couldn't go with them

My own phone is Vodafone, work phone is 3 and tried GoMo when it launched out of curiosity. Vodafone was a solid 80Mbps, 3 was generally between 15-20Mbps and GoMo kept falling between 3G and 4G with 4G maxing out at 30Mbps in Dublin 2 for me. Vodafone works better for some people, 3 works better for others- you just have to choose what fits your needs best really.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Normajeanjones

No it's just Sim only 30 day contract.

I was with them for 6 months with no problems apart from they can't get the banks sms verification texts so have to move.
    They have now made the data totally unlimited with no cap.

I want to switch to virgin mobile 30 day contract, but I didn’t know there would be an issue with receiving bank sms verification texts.

Does anyone know why this is?

I’m with 3 at the moment, virgin seem to use 3 too?

Ah-Watch wrote: »
    My own phone is Vodafone, work phone is 3 and tried GoMo when it launched out of curiosity. Vodafone was a solid 80Mbps, 3 was generally between 15-20Mbps and GoMo kept falling between 3G and 4G with 4G maxing out at 30Mbps in Dublin 2 for me. Vodafone works better for some people, 3 works better for others- you just have to choose what fits your needs best really.

VF is tops but with the changes it'll be just another Tesco for PAYG

• Registered Users Posts: 10,618 ✭✭✭✭okidoki987

I want to switch to virgin mobile 30 day contract, but I didn’t know there would be an issue with receiving bank sms verification texts.
    Does anyone know why this is?
    I’m with 3 at the moment, virgin seem to use 3 too?

Seemingly it's been since they started mobile service, not everybody has the
    SMS text problem but enough people do for it to be a major problem for them.
    Last time I checked with Virgin customer support, there was no update to when it would be sorted, they know about it but nothing has been done to fix it.
    I can't get Bank, credit card or Paypal SMS along with a few others on Virgin,
    could get them on Vodafone, going to try 48 now.

Last time I checked with Virgin customer support, there was no update to when it would be sorted, they know about it but nothing has been done to fix it.

Here's my speed test this morning,and now it's being replaced with crap

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭BrendanD

Can anyone confirm it works with KBC bank ?

BrendanD wrote: »
    Can anyone confirm it works with KBC bank ?

What's the problem ref bank SMS is it an identity etc problem?

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭bossdrum

No it's just Sim only 30 day contract.
    https://www.virginmedia.ie/mobile/sim-only/

I was with them for 6 months with no problems apart from they can't get the banks sms verification texts so have to move.
    They have now made the data totally unlimited with no cap.

Are you sure they have no data cap?
    It says on the website that it is limited after 80GB.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,126 ✭✭✭shanec1928

What's the problem ref bank SMS is it an identity etc problem?

They don’t arrive.

shanec1928 wrote: »
    They don’t arrive.

FFS that's like Tesco mobile year's ago, surprising ref Virgin

bossdrum wrote: »
    Are you sure they have no data cap?
    It says on the website that it is limited after 80GB.

Got a text from VIRGIN to say "we've removed the 80GB fair useage policy until 30th June at no extra cost. This means you can use as much data as you need in the ROI".
    That was sent 28th April but assume it will continue after that as everything
    won't be back to normal by then.

Got a text from them to say "we've removed the 80GB fair useage policy until 30th June at no extra cost. This means you can use as much data as you need in the ROI".

At 10 MB download speed FFS

Got a text from them to say "we've removed the 80GB fair useage policy until 30th June at no extra cost. This means you can use as much data as you need in the ROI".

At 10 MB download speed FFS

Virgin sent the text to say cap removed.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭A1404

Quick update on new Vodafone unlimited data deal,

Opted in to the new Weekend unlimited data deal, made €20 top up and the speed seems to be the same as the old weekend deal. I got around 80 to 98 mbps.

I used Hot-spot to stream netflix on tv and it working good. Just not sure how much data you can use or is it fully unlimited.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 181 ✭✭4motion

Can u put a link here?

A1404 wrote: »
    Quick update on new Vodafone unlimited data deal,

Opted in to the new Weekend unlimited data deal, made €20 top up and the speed seems to be the same as the old weekend deal. I got around 80 to 98 mbps.

I used Hot-spot to stream netflix on tv and it working good. Just not sure how much data you can use or is it fully unlimited.
    Yes but from June 6 speeds are gone down to 10mb

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Rumpy

Got a new Sim from Vodafone on the unlimited X plan. Works perfect on phone but any device connected to hotspot gets no data access.
    Tried the Sim card in a Mifi and a 4G router . Connected to an perfect but again no data access from any device
    Also tried a vpn on phone still no luck

When I use my old Vodafone X sim everything works with all devices

Looks like they have somehow blocked hotshot your phone with the new plan

Tried a few different APNs no joy

Anyone got any idea on a work around

• Registered Users Posts: 2,816 ✭✭✭Ten Pin

Live APN should work, delete all other APNs

What's in the "APN type" entry? There's a couple of possibilities to try...

- leave it blank or default
    - default,dun

Some handsets won't allow editing of APNs, even if they do then Vodafone might still have a way to block hotspot in the background.

Does USB tethering work?

There's also a way to change the handset settings by ADB shell from a PC.

Search...
    settings put global tether_dun_required 0
    ...for how-to's for Androids.

If you have a pre Android 8 phone, try using that for hotspot. IPhones can be problematic regarding tethering on Vodafone. What handset are you using?

I have tried the sim in a note 10 , s20 and s10
    All have data access but tethering or hotspot devices
    Have no data access but connected OK
    Old Vodafone sim works . New sim no hotspot

Also tried usb dongle into laptop
    Connection no problem but no data access with new sim

This is becoming a challenge;))

• Registered Users Posts: 2,816 ✭✭✭Ten Pin

If none of the tips above work, try 3G only mode.

Networks are not supposed to block tethering any more as it's a form of restriction of data based on traffic type which is against the spirit (and possibly, the letter) of the EU Net Neutrality regulations introduced a few years ago.

Tried 3G and 4G still same on dongle . Mifi, 4g router and all Samsung phones

Have a One plus 5 flashed lineageOS on it
    That worked for 3G and 4G with hotspot so sorted now
    Getting speeds 80mps expect that to drop to 10mbps in June sometime
    USB tethering working also to asus router and Windows laptop

• Registered Users Posts: 7 JohnBarry

I personally recommended at least 50 users from vodafone and eir networks to sign up to gomo at the beginning of the 9.99 launch offeer, people in the droves joined and the savings they are making is in the hundreds every single month, one family was paying €45 x2 per month for his and her phone bill, and they had 2 teenagers on €20 euro payg plans , €120 per month minimum down to a max of €40 per month. long may it last!

Rumpy wrote: »
    I have tried the sim in a note 10 , s20 and s10
    All have data access but tethering or hotspot devices
    Have no data access but connected OK
    Old Vodafone sim works . New sim no hotspot

Also tried usb dongle into laptop
    Connection no problem but no data access with new sim

This is becoming a challenge;))

VF devil's

• Advertisement

JohnBarry wrote: »
    I personally recommended at least 50 users from vodafone and eir networks to sign up to gomo at the beginning of the 9.99 launch offeer, people in the droves joined and the savings they are making is in the hundreds every single month, one family was paying €45 x2 per month for his and her phone bill, and they had 2 teenagers on €20 euro payg plans , €120 per month minimum down to a max of €40 per month. long may it last!

Eir own it and as such wouldn't go near them

Advertisement