Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Vodafone X - €20 Prepay Offers

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭Ah-Watch

From their website...

Unlimited data and weekend calls.
    All for €20 every 4 weeks.
    €20 top up required every 4 weeks in one go

Unlimited data, maximum speed 10Mbps
    Unlimited any network texts
    100 any network minutes & Unlimited minutes from 3pm on Fridays until 11.59pm on Sundays

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭Skidfingers

Yes but throttling back download speeds to a max 10 MB

It might still run fine?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,933 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

It might still run fine?
    He means 10Mbps.

10Mbps SHOULD still be enough to do pretty much everything you're already doing, but we'll see what it drops to when congestion kicks in and if it's still decent enough speeds.

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭tjhook

It's possible that congestion will be *less* of a problem under the new rules - if most people (i.e. the Vodafone Xers) are using less data at any one time.

To be fair, I very rarely found data speeds to be a problem with Vodafone.

tjhook wrote: »
    It's possible that congestion will be *less* of a problem under the new rules - if most people (i.e. the Vodafone Xers) are using less data at any one time.

Yeah I don't see this being a huge issue really. Down with herself I'm only getting about 4Mbps and it's still fine for anything I'm doing on my phone.
    If VF can keep the data rate stable, then this will be a non issue really.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭tdf7187

Not seeing the point of this when you can get billpay deals for as little as 20 a month.

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,735 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

Tazzimus wrote: »
    Yeah I don't see this being a huge issue really. Down with herself I'm only getting about 4Mbps and it's still fine for anything I'm doing on my phone.
    If VF can keep the data rate stable, then this will be a non issue really.
    Completely agree. I think some people are getting their knickers in a twist over what will turn out to be a complete non-issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,628 ✭✭✭corks finest

I have lately

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 inyourp

I have lately

So have I.

To be honest to pay 20 euro to have limit on the data is mad. I know Vodafone is premium network but they should also provide premium service.

Prepay can't even access 5G.

And I would struggle with 10mbps speed limit personally. Maybe 4 years ago it would be ok, but not in 2020.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,486 ✭✭✭dowtchaboy

I have lately

last night I had the following speeds from Vodafone 4G
    at 19.16: Ping 522 Download 0.65Mb. Upload 1.2Mb
    at 23.22: Ping 278. Download 0.66Mb. Upload 1.53Mb
    at 23.28: Ping 181. download 8.38 Mb Upload 5.66Mb

Obviously I didn't bother watching any streaming TV!

I'm supposed to be in a coverage area with full signal indoors.
    When I get a good signal, data rates are usually excellent. But every so often even this stops, inexplicably, for seconds or minutes (signal stays strong but data just goes "duh!").
    There are 2 4G towers in range - when I try the one out the back of the house (old farmhouse with 2ft thick granite walls) by taping the phone to the window it can vary wildly over a few minutes from 4 bars to 1, and I have to go kick it every so often to log on to 4G instead of 3G/H.

For sure VF has the best overall network but in recent months there seems to be, let's call it, instability.

• Advertisement

Yep, from what I've read, Google is in league with the carriers to allow APNs to be locked by those carriers.

When I spoke with Vodafone, they were quite up-front, saying that they won't support tethering. At least not on Vodafone X. I'm ok with that, at least they were honest with me. So I moved to GoMo, who support my requirements. I'm sure there are other carriers that would too.
    Seems to depend on who you talk to in Vodafone. It was their (Irish) customer service who told me about deleting the hs.vodafone APN and only using live.vodafone the first time I found that tethering wiped out my credit.

Three used to be explicit about not allowing tethering - in fact I seem to recall a suggestion that they could identify what browser was being used and if it was not an iOS or Android browser they knew you were tethering - dunno if that's true. Now it seems Tesco and 48 and maybe even Three themselves are saying (or not denying) that tethering is OK.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,520 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

tdf7187 wrote: »
    Not seeing the point of this when you can get billpay deals for as little as 20 a month.

From Vodafone?

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,735 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

All the networks have largely similar policies with regards to tethering on PAYG plans - they don't officially support it but they won't stop you doing it either.

You are free to tether but you have to solve any issues you encounter yourself. They won't provide you with any support.

Vodafone just has the additional issue of tethering by default being via the HS APN which is not included in PAYG data allowances.

dowtchaboy wrote: »
    I just got €52 credit wiped out on Vodafone X.
    It's the usual problem - it's happened to me twice before, when I got an OS update and when I changed a handset - you have to delete the bastard APN (hs.whatever) that charges when you use the phone as a hotspot, and only use the live.vodafone one......
    Just an update - Vodafone very nicely reinstated my €52 credit this morning, after a bit of Twitter back and forth all week. They also reiterated I needed to ensure that APN live.vodafone.com was in place for the Vodafone X thing to work properly. In fact they even gave me step by step instructions on how to manually add this APN - though really there's no need as it's built into the SIM and there's an instruction to reload the APN's from the SIM. But I notice on my phone (Moto G7 Plus) that the list of components of the live.vodafone.com APN is entirely greyed out, so it can't be edited any more - a consequence of Android 10, perhaps, as others have alluded to above?
    TBH I'm happy to continue with them, especially if the data rates settle down in my neck of the woods - 10Mbps is more than adequate for my needs.

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭RoYoBo

But I notice on my phone (Moto G7 Plus) that the list of components of the live.vodafone.com APN is entirely greyed out, so it can't be edited any more - a consequence of Android 10, perhaps, as others have alluded to above?

I still have Android 9 on my MotoG7 Power - not sure if/when it will upgrade to 10. Thanks for the heads up on the APN change.
    Just want to clarify that you can choose the live one and delete the other high speed one? I got caught before with that expense and had to make sure it was deleted because it seemed to 'choose' the costly one now and again if it was left there.

RoYoBo wrote: »
    I still have Android 9 on my MotoG7 Power - not sure if/when it will upgrade to 10. Thanks for the heads up on the APN change.
    Just want to clarify that you can choose the live one and delete the other high speed one? I got caught before with that expense and had to make sure it was deleted because it seemed to 'choose' the costly one now and again if it was left there.
    This "choosing" the costly one was the argument I've had all week with Vodafone - some of the customer service people know about it, others deny the possibility. Up to now with the Moto G7 and the previous ones, I could simply delete APN hs.vodafone.ie and the phone would then route everything through live.vodafone.com which is correct for the plan amount (20GB later 25 then 30GB) and for the unlimited at weekend deal. The 3 APNs remained on the SIM though and could reappear after a change of phone, or, it now appears, after a major update. Today was the first time I saw the values of the live.vodafone APN greyed out and I could not edit them. What I don't know is whether I could delete the entire APN and then create a new one with the same name and with the same values, and I don't want to try in case I can't! AFAIK I have only had this situation since I was upgraded to Android 10 on Sunday.

OK - I just looked at the APNs. I clicked on the top right 3 dots and clicked on "Reset to Default". It reinstalled all 3 including the bastard one, which I then was able to click on and delete. The live.vodafone.com has a green circle beside it that won't go away - never saw that before. Clicking on this APN opens it up all right but all is greyed, and there is NO menu top right to delete, edit or save. In fact some of the values are not as Vodafone indicated they should be but there is nothing I can do about that.

So I guess the outcome is you (and I ) will just have to be careful if ever we change SIM, or handset, or get a major update to immediately go check the bastard APN has not returned from the dead. The new Android 10 seems nice though - night mode, seems a bit lighter on power, and the "settings" seem easier to move around and stuff.

inyourp wrote: »
    So have I.

To be honest to pay 20 euro to have limit on the data is mad. I know Vodafone is premium network but they should also provide premium service.

Prepay can't even access 5G.

And I would struggle with 10mbps speed limit personally. Maybe 4 years ago it would be ok, but not in 2020.
    Same here I've my IPTV sub non phone as a backup or if waiting for my kid at sports etc ,bit 10 MB won't cut it

last night I had the following speeds from Vodafone 4G
    at 19.16: Ping 522 Download 0.65Mb. Upload 1.2Mb
    at 23.22: Ping 278. Download 0.66Mb. Upload 1.53Mb
    at 23.28: Ping 181. download 8.38 Mb Upload 5.66Mb

Obviously I didn't bother watching any streaming TV!

I'm supposed to be in a coverage area with full signal indoors.
    When I get a good signal, data rates are usually excellent. But every so often even this stops, inexplicably, for seconds or minutes (signal stays strong but data just goes "duh!").
    There are 2 4G towers in range - when I try the one out the back of the house (old farmhouse with 2ft thick granite walls) by taping the phone to the window it can vary wildly over a few minutes from 4 bars to 1, and I have to go kick it every so often to log on to 4G instead of 3G/H.

For sure VF has the best overall network but in recent months there seems to be, let's call it, instability.
    Same basically,was on live chat today for yonks - complete waste of time

Neither did I but last 4/5 weeks is hit n miss

Same here I've my IPTV sub non phone as a backup or if waiting for my kid at sports etc ,bit 10 MB won't cut it

I've watched UFC events with less than 10Mbps on my IPTV sub on my phone and it's been fine.

****, my Virgin router was acting the maggot yesterday and I was only getting about 7Mbps on the work laptop on WiFi, I could still do my days work fine.

And please type it as 10Mbps, 10MB is completely different.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭homingbird

Just an update - Vodafone very nicely reinstated my €52 credit this morning, after a bit of Twitter back and forth all week. They also reiterated I needed to ensure that APN live.vodafone.com was in place for the Vodafone X thing to work properly. In fact they even gave me step by step instructions on how to manually add this APN - though really there's no need as it's built into the SIM and there's an instruction to reload the APN's from the SIM. But I notice on my phone (Moto G7 Plus) that the list of components of the live.vodafone.com APN is entirely greyed out, so it can't be edited any more - a consequence of Android 10, perhaps, as others have alluded to above?
    TBH I'm happy to continue with them, especially if the data rates settle down in my neck of the woods - 10Mbps is more than adequate for my needs.

I asked about this earlier in the thread & was told you don't get to keep the credit so which is it as I am due to switch midnight 2moro & this is holding me back as I have subs going with 3 other than that I would give it a go to see is it better than 3.

homingbird wrote: »
    I asked about this earlier in the thread & was told you don't get to keep the credit so which is it as I am due to switch midnight 2moro & this is holding me back as I have subs going with 3 other than that I would give it a go to see is it better than 3.
    Nah this isn't the "pay €20 and get the plan and get your €20 in credit too" type of deal. €20 gets the all you can eat data, text and 100 mins of calls, and no credit for anything. However to stave off competition from Eir/GoMo etc these last few months, Vodafone have been giving €5/€10 credit as a gift now and then as a sort of loyalty bonus. There's a discussion elsewhere about what you can use it for. In my case not much. I guess I used a bit texting and calling my son in Germany, though usually I use WhatsApp which of course is free. Hence I built up €52 and it transfers from month to month. Except when it gets eaten!

I've watched UFC events with less than 10Mbps on my IPTV sub on my phone and it's been fine.

****, my Virgin router was acting the maggot yesterday and I was only getting about 7Mbps on the work laptop on WiFi, I could still do my days work fine.

I'd love to show the screenshot but can't here, download speed via ookla states MB,,,, l stand corrected it's says Mbps,

Yeah you're right ref Mbps , honestly couldn't see it
    Ref the 10 Mbps max download that wouldn't let me stream properly, my current IPTV needs 40 plus to get anything f decent

• Registered Users Posts: 8,539 ✭✭✭FourFourRED

This is getting boring. Nobody cares. Everyone knows what the person means if they say 10MB.

FourFourFM wrote: »
    This is getting boring. Nobody cares. Everyone knows what the person means if they say 10MB.

You cared enough to quote it.

You do realise you can just ignore parts of a post that don't interest you, and no one gets upset about it?

Some of us prefer information to be written correctly, must be the IT nerd in me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,169 ✭✭✭irishchris

You cared enough to quote it.

You do realise you can just ignore parts of a post that don't interest you, and no one gets upset about it?

Some of us prefer information to be written correctly, must be the IT nerd in me.

Or he was correct and everybody understands what the poster meant when he said 10mb. By the same reckoning you can ignore the part of the post where he said 10mb

• Registered Users Posts: 8,539 ✭✭✭FourFourRED

This is a consumer chat about a Vodafone pre-pay price plan. Kept the IT nerdy stuff to more appropriate threads. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭homingbird

Nah this isn't the "pay €20 and get the plan and get your €20 in credit too" type of deal. €20 gets the all you can eat data, text and 100 mins of calls, and no credit for anything. However to stave off competition from Eir/GoMo etc these last few months, Vodafone have been giving €5/€10 credit as a gift now and then as a sort of loyalty bonus. There's a discussion elsewhere about what you can use it for. In my case not much. I guess I used a bit texting and calling my son in Germany, though usually I use WhatsApp which of course is free. Hence I built up €52 and it transfers from month to month. Except when it gets eaten!

Thanks for fast reply I will stick with 3 for now then might get the sister to switch to check speed s.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭Gadge

6th of June is here and I'm still seeing my regular speeds. Can anyone verify if their speeds have gone down to 10Mbps yet?

Advertisement