Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vodafone X - €20 Prepay Offers

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,629 ✭✭✭corks finest

Has Vodafone just got rid of Chat customer service? It's never available.
    I moved from Sim Only to PAYG so maybe that's something to do with it.

Still there but it's seriously hit n miss,and as for the my Vodaphone app it's shi*e

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭massy086

Still there but it's seriously hit n miss,and as for the my Vodaphone app it's shi*e
    For everyone the vf app is sh*t.but the data speeds and coverage are the best to be honest iv been with them all.and would,nt change from vf if you paid me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭wersal gummage

biebiebie wrote: »
    Try changing to 3G first.
    One reason I left Vodafone is that I was always getting charged whenever I tethered. There was no control over the live vs HS APN, and I always ended up being charged i.e. loosing credit. I got tired of contacting Support over it.

I'm about to do the same, shame as I'm very happy with the service otherwise. Who did you go with?

• Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭MiketheMechanic

Hi folks.
    I know someone that has recently moved to PAYG on VF.

Just a few quick questions, as the thread has 1200+ posts now.

1. Is the Vodafone X offer still current/valid?
    2. Is it definitely open to all, and not just students?
    3. How do you sign up - can you do it entirely on line, or do you have to go to a VF shop? Any gotchas or caveats during the signup process?
    4. Can you set it to automatically top up? How would you do this? Do you have to top up every 4 weeks (28 days?) or monthly?

Thanks in advance,
    MtM

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

Hi folks.
    I know someone that has recently moved to PAYG on VF.

Just a few quick questions, as the thread has 1200+ posts now.

1. Is the Vodafone X offer still current/valid?
    2. Is it definitely open to all, and not just students?
    3. How do you sign up - can you do it entirely on line, or do you have to go to a VF shop? Any gotchas or caveats during the signup process?
    4. Can you set it to automatically top up? How would you do this? Do you have to top up every 4 weeks (28 days?) or monthly?

Thanks in advance,
    MtM
    1. Yes
    2. Yes, I am not student and just went back to them and got X package
    3. You will need to order a sim and then just text to setup whatever package you want to sign up for
    4. You can indeed via the app or online

• Advertisement

Thanks @Keano.
    Re. 3 below, I think this person already has a PAYG VF sim. Do they need to get a new one?

Thanks, MtM
    Keano wrote: »
    3. You will need to order a sim and then just text to setup whatever package you want to sign up for

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

No new sim needed. Just check online what the number is to text for whatever package they wish to sign up for.

My friend that is interested in the plan mentioned that she needs to send occasional international SMS text messages to friends and family in Canada, USA, Australia. Can you do this on PAYG, or "add on" a plan for texting to these countries? She seems to be under the impression that you cannot?

Any ideas?
    MtM
    Keano wrote: »
    1. Yes
    2. Yes, I am not student and just went back to them and got X package
    4. You can indeed via the app or online

• Registered Users Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭physioman

My friend that is interested in the plan mentioned that she needs to send occasional international SMS text messages to friends and family in Canada, USA, Australia. Can you do this on PAYG, or "add on" a plan for texting to these countries? She seems to be under the impression that you cannot?

Any ideas?
    MtM

I think you can webtext on the Vodafone app to international numbers. Restricted to 50 a month. Or alternatively use whats app or viber

physioman wrote: »
    I think you can webtext on the Vodafone app to international numbers. Restricted to 50 a month. Or alternatively use whats app or viber

Thanks physioman. webtext might be an option.
    Sadly the texts are to older folks who don't have smartphones and who can't/won't use Viber, WhatsApp, Messenger etc.
    MtM

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,253 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

Wonder if the offer is changing after 31 July, website has the Spotify and Sky offers as “until 31 July 2020”.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,617 ✭✭✭✭okidoki987

corcaigh07 wrote: »
    Wonder if the offer is changing after 31 July, website has the Spotify and Sky offers as “until 31 July 2020”.

Let's get through the next 4 months first.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,486 ✭✭✭dowtchaboy

They have just buggered that up, AFAIK.
    I used to use it a few times every month to text my kids in UK and Germany. Previously when I'd type my kids names in the "To" box it would fill in their number from my phone address list. Now it wants the phone number typed in.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,754 ✭✭✭Buffman

Not sure if it was posted in the thread before but just to make people aware that for the Weekend offer there is a fair usage policy in the T&C's of 20GB per weekend which they are enforcing now.

They don't warn you when you approach this limit. If you have money on the phone they just start charging you without warning, if you don't have money they cut you off for the rest of the weekend without warning until midnight Sunday when your 30GB 'weekday' data kicks in. You can't use any of your 30GB 'weekday' data during the weekend it seems.

I don't know how they get away with advertising 20GB as 'unlimited data' for the weekend but just said I'd post FYI.

FYI, if you move to a 'smart' meter electricity plan, you CAN'T move back to a non-smart plan.

Buffman wrote: »
    Not sure if it was posted in the thread before but just to make people aware that for the Weekend offer there is a fair usage policy in the T&C's of 20GB per weekend which they are enforcing now.

They don't warn you when you approach this limit. If you have money on the phone they just start charging you without warning, if you don't have money they cut you off for the rest of the weekend without warning until midnight Sunday when your 30GB 'weekday' data kicks in. You can't use any of your 30GB 'weekday' data during the weekend it seems.

I don't know how they get away with advertising 20GB as 'unlimited data' for the weekend but just said I'd post FYI.

How the regulator allowed all the phone companies to advertise "unlimited" data with actual limits attached to each offer is beyond me.
    I'm in the process on contacting them about an unlimited phone data offer that is limited under the companies "fair usage" t&c's.
    If a phone offer is unlimited but with a max 30GB under fair usage, then
    make it unlimited up to 30gb or change it to 30GB a month, not
    unlimited.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭Ten Pin

Vodafone X Updated

€20 top up required every 4 weeks in one go

Unlimited data, maximum speed 10MB/s
    Unlimited any network texts
    100 any network minutes & Unlimited minutes from 3pm on Fridays until 11.59pm on Sundays

Opt in text UNLIMITED to 50222 (before next top up)

https://n.vodafone.ie/shop/pay-as-you-go-plans/vodafone-x.html

https://n.vodafone.ie/shop/pay-as-you-go-plans/vodafone-x/how-to-get-vodafone-x.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭physioman

10mb/s. oh dear.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,753 ✭✭✭SmallTeapot

So.... it appears the Vodafone X Music package w/Spotify appears to be gone.... or am I missing something?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭homah_7ft

Hi,

Is this offer still valid? I texted unlimited to 50222 and got the message I'm sorry you seem to have the wrong key word...". When I check the website I don't see vodafone X instead just chat extra, smart extra and extra.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭thefareast

10mb/s. oh dear.
    They are advertising 10MB/s, Irelands greatest mobile network confusing their bits and their bytes!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,469 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Jeez Vodafone are so out of touch! I'm not sure why anyone would take this over GoMo. €13 for unlimited calls, texts and data (80GB cap).

I get that Vodafone would argue they have a better network, but at least give people unlimited calls for this higher price.

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭Pablo1802

bk wrote: »
    Jeez Vodafone are so out of touch! I'm not sure why anyone would take this over GoMo. €13 for unlimited calls, texts and data (80GB cap).

I get that Vodafone would argue they have a better network, but at least give people unlimited calls for this higher price.

Quality of the internet is not great as Vodafone or even original eir. They must have some limitations in place to accommodate all users with €9.99 deal ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭thefareast

I was with Vodafone but over the last year its speeds went to crap for me to the point I couldn't use it. The support through the app was ridiculous, I had to wait an age to get to an agent, then answer a bunch of security questions only to be told to restart my phone to see if it helps (it never did).

I switched to gomo and I have no complaints, 10 euro a month and has worked perfectly since I switched.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,469 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Pablo1802 wrote: »
    Quality of the internet is not great as Vodafone or even original eir. They must have some limitations in place to accommodate all users with €9.99 deal ;)

I find it fine on Gomo. I was previously on Vodafone. But I'll admit I'm not a heavy data user, what with having Virgin Media cable broadband at home.

I did find GoMo much better when visiting family in Cork City then Vodafone. I kept loosing any signal there. So I do think it is largely area dependent.

I'm not saying Vodafone shouldn't charge more for their overall better network. But €20 and limited calls seems very steep ask IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Anyone else not getting an option to keep their number when trying to buy a sim?

Or even get a sim, I have been trying for a week now

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,742 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

So.... it appears the Vodafone X Music package w/Spotify appears to be gone.... or am I missing something?

Yeah, as and from 31 July, that option will no longer be available. You can add on Spotify for an extra fiver though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭paddy19

Pablo1802 wrote: »

Zero evidence that Eir have limited the network quality for GoMo users.

Never had any problems with either voice or data quality.

Signal quality is dependent on the load on the base station you are connected to.

So massive variation on location and time of connection.

Vodafone now totally unlimited data so now unlimited now means unlimited with no cap!

https://www.rte.ie/news/business/2020/0505/1136546-new-vodafone-plans/

• Registered Users Posts: 8,539 ✭✭✭FourFourRED

okidoki987 wrote: »
    Vodafone now totally unlimited data so now unlimited now means unlimited with no cap!

https://www.rte.ie/news/business/2020/0505/1136546-new-vodafone-plans/

Some of the plans are speed capped at 10mb/s though which isn’t great. Where I live I get around 100mb/s download speed on 4G. Wouldn’t like for that to be cut by 90% all of a sudden.

• Advertisement

Red Unlimited Sim Only Plan:
    Unlimited data
    Unlimited calls and texts to any Irish mobile or landline
    Unlimited calls and texts to European mobiles and landlines plus 100 minutes and texts to other international countries
    Full access to plan when roaming in Europe.
    Max Speed 10 Mbps
    €25 for 1st 6 months and €35 after that
    12 Month contract.

Red Unlimited Max Sim Only:
    As above plus Unlimited calls and texts to Australia, US, Canada, New Zealand, Mexico Mobiles and landlines plus 500 minutes and texts to other international countries
    Max speed, fastest available speed
    €35 for 1st 6 months and €45 after that
    12 month contract.

Advertisement