Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vodafone X - €20 Prepay Offers

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,617 ✭✭✭✭okidoki987

Amazing what a couple of hours will do to a story.
    What a joke, either offer totally unlimited or don't!

However, despite insisting that there will be no ‘fair use’ limit applied to the plans, the company is now saying that if anyone’s use of the unlimited data is “excessive” it might restrict their usage of it.
    The company has yet to define what an “excessive” usage limit for an “unlimited” data service is.
    Given its stance on tethering, the operator has signalled that it will not stop someone living in an area with a strong signal replacing their home broadband service with the unlimited data service, regardless of how many 4K movies or devices use the single data source.

However, it doesn’t recommend doing this.
    :D

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭thenightman

So.... it appears the Vodafone X Music package w/Spotify appears to be gone.... or am I missing something?

It still exists. They changed it from free with the 20 top up to an extra 5 add on combined with it, which is still cheaper than subbing to Spotify on its own. I was using Amazon music for last few months as I got 3 months of it for 1 euro, but that finished this month for me.

Luckily VF are doing a deal where they give you 5e credit if you top up by 20e in one go, so I got Spotify for free this month.

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭thenightman

okidoki987 wrote: »
    Amazing what a couple of hours will do to a story.
    What a joke, either offer totally unlimited or don't!

:D

It stops the network going to sh!te. 3 are happy to take your money for unlimited 'all you can eat' data, but it will take you a fair while to 'eat same' seeing as their network is so oversubscribed and poorly managed.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,629 ✭✭✭corks finest

So.... it appears the Vodafone X Music package w/Spotify appears to be gone.... or am I missing something?

Gone e5 to get it

• Advertisement

It still exists. They changed it from free with the 20 top up to an extra 5 add on combined with it, which is still cheaper than subbing to Spotify on its own. I was using Amazon music for last few months as I got 3 months of it for 1 euro, but that finished this month for me.

Luckily VF are doing a deal where they give you 5e credit if you top up by 20e in one go, so I got Spotify for free this month.

Same e5,but will it last?( e5 every time you top up, methinks not)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,804 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

It's only until May 15th, I think. But at least it's an improvement. Wasn't it Vodafone who used to do either free credit or data allowance had to be used within so many days. In other words if you wanted to take advantage of the free amount, you'd need to eat through what you paid for quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭physioman

So from my understanding if you are on the old Vodafone x weekend plan that you will remain on it unless you opt in to the new Vodafone x plan. The old plan suits me better as I use the SIM card in my router particularly at the weekends for watching movies /sport etc. I get 50mb/s + so better option for me.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,469 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Jeez, Vodafone!

So on their website for the new Vodafone X plan they say: 10Mbps

However on the terms on conditions for the plan says: 10MB/s

Note these are very different numbers, 10MB/s is 10 Megabytes per second or 80Mbps (Mega bits per second).

So what is it Vodafone? 10Mbps or 80Mbps

Since the Terms and Conditions say 10MB/s (80Mbps) then that is what it should legally be. If it isn't then I can see lots of complaints to Comreg and Consumer Rights Regulators.

BTW I think 10MB/s (80Mbps) is quiet acceptable, 10Mbps would be pretty rubbish and I don't know why anyone would go with Vodafone for that. It would be too slow for the premium you are paying versus Gomo/48.

Pretty embarrassing for one of Irelands largest telcos to not know their bits from their bytes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭KildareP

I would say it's bits rather than bytes...

Also - it's not "unlimited" either, that trusty "fair use policy" applies:

https://n.vodafone.ie/terms/bill-pay.html
    Access to the Vodafone Unlimited Package:

1. Use of, and access to, the Vodafone Unlimited Package is subject to the below obligations when using our services:
    You have an obligation to mainly use our Services for private, personal, and legitimate consumer purposes only. If Vodafone is of the opinion that your usage is contrary to these principles; for example if your usage is excessive to the extent that it is negatively impacting the Vodafone Network, or if your usage constitutes commercial or fraudulent use or is in breach of the law;
    2. Vodafone reserves the right to charge customers who continue in using the service where such usage has been deemed excessive, or to suspend, at its absolute discretion, modify or restrict use of the service or to disconnect you from the Vodafone network. Vodafone will make reasonable efforts to contact you before suspending or terminating the Services but Vodafone are not liable for any loss you may suffer through any suspension covered by this condition.
    Vodafone reserves the right to send you notifications regarding your usage of your voice & data allowances as part of your package and can notify you when you reach certain thresholds and if/when you exceed your particular allowance.
    bk wrote: »
    Jeez, Vodafone!

Note these are very different numbers, 10MB/s is 10 Megabytes per second or 80Mbps (Mega bits per second).

Since the Terms and Conditions say 10MB/s (80Mbps) then that is what it should legally be. If it isn't then I can see lots of complaints to Comreg and Consumer Rights Regulators.

BTW I think 10MB/s (80Mbps) is quiet acceptable, 10Mbps would be pretty rubbish and I don't know why anyone would go with Vodafone for that. It would be too slow for the premium you are paying versus Gomo/48.

Pretty embarrassing for one of Irelands largest telcos to not know their bits from their bytes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,398 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

Jeez, Vodafone!

Well spotted. You are correct re premium, I get a solid 10 from GoMo and it can go to 80 depending on location. If I was paying VF then I would expect premium speeds for the price.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭lomb

Just got a text, says my voda x weekend is changing to voda x with unlimited 10Mbps data as a maximum speed from 6 june
    So its 10Mbps not 10mb/s
    What does this mean does it mean it will average at 5Mbps if the max is 10? I think I will be jumping ship if it doesn't work for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

lomb wrote: »
    Just got a text, says my voda x weekend is changing to voda x with unlimited 10Mbps data as a maximum speed from 6 june
    So its 10Mbps not 10mb/s
    What does this mean does it mean it will average at 5Mbps if the max is 10? I think I will be jumping ship if it doesn't work for me.

Just got that too. Looks like it's throttled, so I hope that means a steady 10 as the connection is capable of much more...

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,469 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Just got that too. Looks like it's throttled, so I hope that means a steady 10 as the connection is capable of much more...

That is mad so. I can't understand why anyone would stay with Vodafone so!!

And no guarantee that you would get a steady 10Mbps, because other Vodafone customers don't have this restriction and it also depends on other factors too.

I'm pretty glad I left Vodafone now!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

And no guarantee that you would get a steady 10Mbps, because other Vodafone customers don't have this restriction and it also depends on other factors too.

I literally just signed up for this.... Assume changing plan is easy?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,486 ✭✭✭dowtchaboy

I check the MyVodafone app and I note the T&C's have changed to show "max 10 Mbps" - I didn't get any notice.
    I ran speedtest just now (5 p.m. on Thursday 7th) and got ping 29, U/L 7.14, D/L 13.3 so they have not throttled it - yet.
    My data rates have been all over the place since the lockdown, to be honest. 10 minutes ago I could only get H+, and that gave U/L 0.42 and D/L 0.27!! Watching Virgin Player the last few nights has been torture. (I live in a granite farm building so ya gotta hang out the windows here to get decent reception)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭lomb

dowtchaboy wrote: »
    I check the MyVodafone app and I note the T&C's have changed to show "max 10 Mbps" - I didn't get any notice.
    I ran speedtest just now (5 p.m. on Thursday 7th) and got ping 29, U/L 7.14, D/L 13.3 so they have not throttled it - yet.
    My data rates have been all over the place since the lockdown, to be honest. 10 minutes ago I could only get H+, and that gave U/L 0.42 and D/L 0.27!! Watching Virgin Player the last few nights has been torture. (I live in a granite farm building so ya gotta hang out the windows here to get decent reception)

Hey you can get a 4g antennae, just do a search on amazon. Look for omnidirectional, i think the favourite sounds like pontiy , connect to a router with 4g sim card in it with anteane port(huwaie) or alternatively a phone with a external antennae port if available
    https://blog.solidsignal.com/tutorials/how-can-i-connect-an-antenna-to-my-cell-phone/

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

TBH, I usually below 10 where I work but the service is so reliable that I wouldn't even notice. This change isn't really a problem for me (I hope).

• Registered Users Posts: 34 cshk

Jeez, Vodafone!

Just got onto their live chat and they say it's meant to be 10MB/s

Leaving as soon as I get better,I pay 2 PAYG every month,and SIRO ,so PAYG will be gone

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,398 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

cshk99 wrote: »
    Just got onto their live chat and they say it's meant to be 10MB/s

How do I get the feeling that it should be the other way around, limiting to 80Mbps seems pointless

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,742 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

TheDriver wrote: »
    How do I get the feeling that it should be the other way around, limiting to 80Mbps seems pointless

Agreed. I think the error is in the T&Cs.

Edit: Actually, the error seems to be in the new PAYG pricing sheet posted on the Vodafone website where it's written as 10MBPS - it seems someone just capitalised Mbps, not realising that they had kinda changed its meaning.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,031 ✭✭✭BArra

also on the 'old' vodafone x weekend and got the text to say from 6th june its changing to the 10Mbps with the same unlimited texts and 100 network minutes but now with unlimited minutes rather than data at the weekend

will probably jump ship - dont fancy gomo - what other options is there out there?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

TheDriver wrote: »

Exactly, sustainable 80Mbps isn't achievable in many areas anyway; and when it is achievable it is a sign that the network is seeing very little use in that area hence no point applying a limit to preserve network capacity.

I have almost no doubt it is 10Mbps.

BArra wrote: »
    also on the 'old' vodafone x weekend and got the text to say from 6th june its changing to the 10Mbps with the same unlimited texts and 100 network minutes but now with unlimited minutes rather than data at the weekend

will probably jump ship - dont fancy gomo - what other options is there out there?

Same predicament

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Bob24 wrote: »
    Exactly, sustainable 80Mbps isn't achievable in many areas anyway; and when it is achievable it is a sign that the network is seeing very little use in that area hence no point applying a limit to preserve network capacity.

I have almost no doubt it is 10Mbps.

Excuse my ignorance, how slow is 10Mbps?

Enough to stream Netflix/Football when used on a phone only?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

Problem is,it will be closer to 3 or 4 when they start hobbling it

Yes no issue with those; to be honest it is more than fine for most mobiles uses.

It also is more than mobile network can offer in dense areas during peak times.

It is the most extreme scenario, but for exemple my experience of Vodafone in Dublin city centre at 5PM on a week day* is that you'd be happy to get 5-6Mpbs anyway as the network is overloaded (but video streaming still works pretty much flawlessly). Eir is slower than Vodafone and Three is abysmal in the same scenario (video streaming is a very bad experience and borderline unusable as it reverts and low-res and yet keeps cutting-off).

* before Covid-19 of course, and the reference point I have used for testing once in a while is D'Olier Street.

Mortelaro wrote: »
    Problem is,it will be closer to 3 or 4 when they start hobbling it

Yep. I wouldn't be too concerned about a 10Mpbs cap TBH, what I am more concerned about is what effect unlimited plans will have in ares whereby the network is already struggling/failing to deliver 10Mpbs anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

Live chat are saying it's 10Mbps.
    I'm currently getting 80Mbps ish so that's a bit of a drop off, although in theory it should still be enough to stream Spotify, Netflix etc.
    Will see how that holds up, around me is a ghost town in work so not much contention to worry about while everyone is at home.
    As long as I can listen to Spotify and drown out people on the Luas I'll be happy enough.

Advertisement