Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Famous Dublin pubs that are no more

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,499 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Only Glenburnie in Thoms Directory 1971 is a "spirit merchant" (which wasn't always a pub, but in this case I think it was) where the Dun Laoghaire S/C is now. Suspect that's not the one in the video, will dig a bit deeper.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,925 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

L1011 wrote: »
    Only Glenburnie in Thoms Directory 1971 is a "spirit merchant" (which wasn't always a pub, but in this case I think it was) where the Dun Laoghaire S/C is now. Suspect that's not the one in the video, will dig a bit deeper.

What address in DL does it give for that in Thoms?

What address does it give for that in Thoms?

106 Georges Street Upper

Other pubs that were knocked for DL S/C were at 108 (Downeys with the famous strike) and 113 (The Albatross)

106 Georges Street Upper

Other pubs that were knocked for DL S/C were at 108 (Downeys with the famous strike) and 113 (The Albatross)

Where 106 was is the emrgency exit beside Buck Henry's.

https://goo.gl/maps/1hAeVcjG6cfhzVEW7

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭Irish_peppa

I see the "infamous" Super Pub Zanzibar has been gutted only the facade remains. If im not mistaken that was the first of Dublins "Superpubs" by the Dwyer Brothers.
    Also same with their old haunt on Mount Street ODwyers/ Howl at the Moon / Dance Macabre. Completely demolished i think the facade is being kept only.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,241 ✭✭✭Mav11

A very apt video popped up on the RTÉ today:

Worth a watch; he goes to the Glenburnie Inn on Marlborough St! Never heard of it.

https://www.rte.ie/archives/2018/0403/951821-changing-face-of-dublin-pubs/

Loved the scene where the old RNLI charity collection box was on the counter. You used to put the donation in and the lifeboat would pop down the ramp. Great fun as a kid!!

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭w/s/p/c/

I see the "infamous" Super Pub Zanzibar has been gutted only the facade remains. If im not mistaken that was the first of Dublins "Superpubs" by the Dwyer Brothers.
    Also same with their old haunt on Mount Street ODwyers/ Howl at the Moon / Dance Macabre. Completely demolished i think the facade is being kept only.

Both Zanzibar and Howl have hotels/apartments (surprise surprise!) being built on their former sites as far as I know. Many a good night out had in both places during the 2000's

• Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Hodors Appletart

used to go into Zanz with a crowd but would always sneak out with a few lads to go to Pravda instead. was always much better music

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭thenightman

+1.

Used to get dragged there after work in the 00's. Used to nip down to Pravda or across the bridge to Dorans with the non idiots once the boss had bought us our two rounds and accompanying shots!

• Registered Users Posts: 34,508 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Hated Zanzibar.

The ladies among the group would always insist on going there for some reason, drink cost a fortune. Then you could guarantee that one of the rock apes on the door would refuse one of the lads for no reason whatsoever, in the pre-mobile era this meant night ruined. If you turned up on your own and got refused, your friends inside would just assume you didn't show up. So then you'd have to meet up somewhere else beforehand that didn't have its head up its arse. And the logical next step would be to stay there :)

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,534 ✭✭✭Chalk McHugh

Hated Zanzibar.

The ladies among the group would always insist on going there for some reason, drink cost a fortune. Then you could guarantee that one of the rock apes on the door would refuse one of the lads for no reason whatsoever, in the pre-mobile era this meant night ruined. If you turned up on your own and got refused, your friends inside would just assume you didn't show up. So then you'd have to meet up somewhere else beforehand that didn't have its head up its arse. And the logical next step would be to stay there :)

Agree. Didnt like the place. Had a bit of a flat atmosphere in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭fleet_admiral

I was never out of it when I worked in Roches Stores on Henry street

Another i remember was Berminghams om Dorset St. Was in it a few times. Must be gone 10 years at this stage.

I was never out of it when I worked in Roches Stores on Henry street

Seemed to be a retail workers haunt alright!

Thursday night was pay night in Arnotts.

So straight into K3/Kielys for a bit after the shop closed at 9pm and then into Zanzibar after for some cider and fat frogs. Grim. But great memories overall.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭ANXIOUS

Another i remember was Berminghams om Dorset St. Was in it a few times. Must be gone 10 years at this stage.

Always remember the little red and white scooter parked outside it on the path.

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭1968

Dalcassian wrote: »
    Hi all, I'm back again looking for information on another long gone public house. It was situated along the south bank of the canal going east from Harold's Cross Bridge. I think it was called "The Grove". It was the last building before Cathal Bruagh Barracks and was actually built against the wall of the barracks. It sat a bit back from the road.
    I would love to see any photos of it.
    Hoping for help here.
    Joe

Bumping an old comment but here's a newspaper advertisement from 1960 which shows McGinley's (as it was known then) on Grove Road.

The Grove was still there up to the 90s I'd guess. Was in it once or twice either mid or late 80s. Seemed a grand old spot.

Yes sure was. There was small block of flats beside it. I used park there illegally until the manager stuck a sheet of paper on my car window warning me it was for patrons only :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Yes sure was. There was small block of flats beside it. I used park there illegally until the manager stuck a sheet of paper on my car window warning me it was for patrons only :)

Bet you got a good innings out of it anyway. There was another nice little pub around there just across from the portobello, wonder if that's still going. Haven't darkened that area with my presence for manys the long year.

Bet you got a good innings out of it anyway. There was another nice little pub around there just across from the portobello, wonder if that's still going. Haven't darkened that area with my presence for manys the long year.

Well when i say illegally i used work in Rathmines so would park there at that pub. Didnt think it was illegal at the time. I used finish work around 4 and id head off to the car. Its a long time ago but dont ever remember there being too many cars parked up. It was a small car park possibly 10-20 spaces Not sure the pub was even open during the day. But it lasted a while. Who doesn't like a freebie? :)

Well when i say illegally i used work in Rathmines so would park there at that pub. Didnt think it was illegal at the time. I used finish work around 4 and id head off to the car. Its a long time ago but dont ever remember there being too many cars parked up. It was a small car park possibly 10-20 spaces Not sure the pub was even open during the day. But it lasted a while. Who doesn't like a freebie? :)

Hey, if you didnt know it was illegal then how can it be illegal? That's it for me - case closed! Just goes to show how many of those suburban pubs there were that always seemed to be quiet and yet survived for decades. I think i heard The Hill was closed or is soon to be, thats another of my old haunts off the list. Wouldnt want to get too sentimental about these things!

• Advertisement

Hey, if you didnt know it was illegal then how can it be illegal? That's it for me - case closed! Just goes to show how many of those suburban pubs there were that always seemed to be quiet and yet survived for decades. I think i heard The Hill was closed or is soon to be, thats another of my old haunts off the list. Wouldnt want to get too sentimental about these things!

Is that the Hill in Ranelagh? I know the Hill 16 bery well in town never been in the Hill in Ranelagh. Im not sure if it is still operating. What is it about old times, nostalgia and sentimentality? Im a sucker for it :)

Is that the Hill in Ranelagh? I know the Hill 16 bery well in town never been in the Hill in Ranelagh. Im not sure if it is still operating. What is it about old times, nostalgia and sentimentality? Im a sucker for it :)

Ranelagh, yeah. Gone a good while now i think. Yeah nostalgia a funny thing. My guess is it's a consolation for getting on, you tend to remember the good stuff and blot out the bad stuff, as best you can anyway. But feck it, this is deep stuff best teased out over a pint of plain, ideally in the old Cumberland in dun leary if it still existed.

Ranelagh, yeah. Gone a good while now i think. Yeah nostalgia a funny thing. My guess is it's a consolation for getting on, you tend to remember the good stuff and blot out the bad stuff, as best you can anyway. But feck it, this is deep stuff best teased out over a pint of plain, ideally in the old Cumberland in dun leary if it still existed.

Yes sounds good. I digress, you know your snooker, how do you feel now regards the Crucible in July/Aug behind closed doors? I see the Bundesliga looks like going ahead in 2 weeks. Are their any green beize shoots of recovery on the horizon?

The Hill is only closed maybe 8 months, it had closed and reopened before.

Yes sounds good. I digress, you know your snooker, how do you feel now regards the Crucible in July/Aug behind closed doors? I see the Bundesliga looks like going ahead in 2 weeks. Are their any green beize shoots of recovery on the horizon?

Your guess as good as mine chalk. Hearn is a fairly determined chap as you know so any chance at all and he'll do it. Problem for me is having a tournament with no audience, after a long break and calling it a world championship. But if people and players want it, get the boys on the baize!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,320 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

The Hill is only closed maybe 8 months, it had closed and reopened before.

I was thinking I’d been there about 2 years ago. Nice little spot think it had gone all crafty at that stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,160 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

The lower deck? Thats still there, but has a gig/venue place called the bello bar. Main bar still has the oul fella vibe

Dalcassian wrote: »
    Hi all, I'm back again looking for information on another long gone public house. It was situated along the south bank of the canal going east from Harold's Cross Bridge. I think it was called "The Grove". It was the last building before Cathal Bruagh Barracks and was actually built against the wall of the barracks. It sat a bit back from the road.
    I would love to see any photos of it.
    Hoping for help here.
    Joe
    Joe_Public wrote: »
    The Grove was still there up to the 90s I'd guess. Was in it once or twice either mid or late 80s. Seemed a grand old spot.

It only left us in the mid-noughties. Replaced by an apartment block.Never had the pleasure of it though. Myself and some friends all moved into a few different houses in Harold's Cross between 2005 on, so would be well-versed in the area of the time.

The Harold House, just at the Bridge, was and remains a (periodic) haunt of mine.

retalivity wrote: »
    The lower deck? That's still there, but has a gig/venue place called the bello bar. Main bar still has the oul fella vibe

Never did warm to the place. Plus with O'Connell's so close, why would you bother!
    Anyone from the area remember this pub?

It has been closed for donkeys years, but with all the lovely apartments close by now, maybe they were holding out for a deal or something.

I don't think I've seen a premises closed for so long.... maybe ten years or so?

The Black and Amber in Islandbridge.

https://www.google.ie/maps/@53.3466656,-6.3082463,3a,75y,130.23h,85.44t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s04IZymjnPq289sSYGiCa_Q!2e0!7i13312!8i6656!6m1!1e1

I remember it well from my youth alright. Always had a hankering to buy it when my ship came in. Unfortunately it was torn down in November to make way for another apartment block. Just what Islandbridge needs.
    And it was the last remaining non-residential building from the old days of the area. It really is tragic the way we let the fabric of the city constantly be demolished. The facade could easily have been accommodated in a new building.

Nearest* pub to me now is The Royal Oak or The Glen** in Inchicore!

*I know the demolition didn't technically change that fact as it was long shuttered! :P

**Best pub on earth.

It only left us in the mid-noughties. Replaced by an apartment block.Never had the pleasure of it though. Myself and some friends all moved into a few different houses in Harold's Cross between 2005 on, so would be well-versed in the area of the time.

The Harold House, just at the Bridge, was and remains a (periodic) haunt of mine.

Never did warm to the place. Plus with O'Connell's so close, why would you bother!

I remember it well from my youth alright. Always had a hankering to buy it when my ship came in. Unfortunately it was torn down in November to make way for another apartment block. Just what Islandbridge needs.
    And it was the last remaining non-residential building from the old days of the area. It really is tragic the way we let the fabric of the city constantly be demolished. The facade could easily have been accommodated in a new building.

Nearest* pub to me now is The Royal Oak or The Glen** in Inchicore!

*I know the demolition didn't technically change that fact as it was long shuttered! :P

**Best pub on earth.

Dont ever remember Dillons being open myself. Have drank quite a bit in Inchicore. Used to go to Coffeys on a Sunday back about 5 years ago or more. They used come from all over Dublin for the music and madness. Be packed from 3pm. Anyone that used to go will know.

Ive had two old friends run pubs in the area. One still there workin away.

The Black Horse another one. Got a bit ropey towards the end. Bit of trouble never too far away.

The Village Inn also. Was full of travellers and closed down. Back open now i think.

Croughs is decent. Drop in there if going to watch a Rovers v St Pats game.

• Advertisement

Was the black horse the one that was male only for a long while? Not sure I'm right, just stuck in the back of my head.

Advertisement