Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Favourite piece of art you've seen

Options
  • 10-05-2020 5:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19,610 ✭✭✭✭

The Scream by Edward Munch in Norways national gallery in Oslo. Its pretty small in real life but theres something about it that is really dark. Then the history and influence behind it- Munch suffered a lifetime of depression and anxiety after both his mother and sister died from TB when he was a kid and then another sister was put in a mental asylum for the insane.

The painting captures a person living a kind of hell on earth inside their head, its like the subject matter is literally on the cusp of losing their mind. After a couple of minutes of staring at it up close it actually feels pretty unsettling.

450px-The_Scream_Pastel.jpg

Rembrandts Nightwatch in Amsterdam. Its the sheer scale of this when seen that amazes, you just feel small standing there looking at it. Then the detail in it, the use of light and darkness and the depth of field is pretty special

thelastmajor.jpg

One of the Easter Island statues in the British Museum in London. It dominates the room it is in, when you come around the corner and see it for the first time theres a real wow moment. Then theres questions of how a completely isolated island community in the south Pacific came up with this 1,000 years ago and then went on to make another 60 of them. They weigh between 10 and 15 tonnes each and are made out of volcanic ash. Theres an absolute serious level of work gone into each one and they were making them for over 600 years.

Plus the gold plated inscription below it gives you that bonus airbrushing of British colonialist history -"Donated by Captain Powell of HMS Topaze to Queen Victoria in 1869". Eh no lads, you pillaged their islands and stole it.

skynews-hoa-hakananaia-statue_4515087.jpg?20181210224710

My favourite of all is Michelangelos Statue of David in Florence. I was absolutely flabbergasted seeing this, its just breathtaking. Its 17 feet tall and then on a plinth of another 12 feet so it towers right above you. I find it incredibile to think that Michelangelo began this with a single block of marble weighing 5 tonnes and chipped away at it for three years to carve it. He had a 3D map in his head of what he wanted to create from it. Heres an idea of the sheer scale of it

46a6f2c4a66182e70bb33b27d3691435.jpg

scale.jpg

Its impressive from a distance but then you get up close to it and it gets even better. The amount of detail in it is just astounding, every muscle, every vein in his body is carved intricately.

fcd1a5f793631a9cd4c9a61fb868c663.jpg

michelangelo-david-close-up-photos-14.jpg

111910-tech-david%20hand.standard.JPG

So whats your favourite piece of art that you've seen. Something that when you saw it in the flesh you were left dumbfounded.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭playonplayette

Floozie in the Jacuzzi.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,969 ✭✭✭Lucy8080

I'm going to plump for classic /modern art here. I won't link a pic. , but ....

The Beano /Dandy or other comics of the time. Enhanced by their summer specials.

Enhanced more by their Christmas Annuals.

Art is nothing unless it delivers a message/connection.

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭drake70

• Registered Users Posts: 11,903 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Anything by Neil Buchanan

• Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭vektarman

My favourite painting that I viewed was Guernica by Picasso.

pablo_picasso-_guernica.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭playonplayette

The Book of Kells

• Registered Users Posts: 5,703 ✭✭✭donegal_man

Piet Mondrian, Woods Near Oele is without doubt my favourite painting.

woods-near-oele.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 10,528 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

‘Landscape with the Fall of Icarus’ by Pieter Brueghel the Elder, although there is some doubt as to who “actually” painted it, in the Musée des Beaux Arts in Brussels.

icarus.jpg

A wonderful “piece” held on an unassuming part of the wall, you could easily just stroll past it. Which would be a tragedy.

The tide is turning…

• Registered Users Posts: 2,926 ✭✭✭mikemac2

A few years ago RTE radio ran a competition to select Ireland´s favourite painting

I didn't vote, I didn't know about it until it was over

This won and it's a worthy winner, I like it a lot :)

It's in Dublin, National Gallery of Ireland

Hellelil and Hildebrand, the Meeting on the Turret Stairs

512459.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,249 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

Kryptos sculpture

Still unsolved

kryptos_500-bb1a5ef09744af40364fb2f183ba6d7860aab493-s800-c85.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭ShatterAlan

I have to concur that the Night Watch is mesmerising as is the Statue of David. When I was in Florence I also visited the Medici Palace. There's a room (well it's more like a hall) with huge paintings of battle scenes on opposing walls. The detail is absolutely breathtaking.

You probably can't classify it as a piece of art per se. It's a monument statue built after World War 2 overlooking Volgograd. But it is awe-inspiring. The Mamayev Kurgan:

mamayevkurgan.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 71,799 ✭✭✭✭Ted_YNWA

Hieronymus Bosch

See new details every time you look at it.

1920px-El_jard%C3%ADn_de_las_Delicias%2C_de_El_Bosco.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 12,215 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

I really liked the Raft of the Medusa in The Louvre.

1920px-JEAN_LOUIS_TH%C3%89ODORE_G%C3%89RICAULT_-_La_Balsa_de_la_Medusa_%28Museo_del_Louvre%2C_1818-19%29.jpg

I'd also like to say that the Mona Lisa is a lot smaller than I thought and completely overrated

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Skagen painters

chapeau5092.jpg

And of course the amazing Woman with a Parasol

800px-Claude-Monet-Woman-with-a-Parasol-Madame-Monet-and-Her-Son-Google-Art-Project.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,969 ✭✭✭Lucy8080

The "Statue of David " is a remarkable sight. I reckon ,given enough goes and instruction, we could all make a good fist of any famous painting.

To carve the Statue of David out of a block of marble...jeez. Bit of pressure on that one!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭Aongus Von Bismarck

Paul Henry's landscapes, particularly those with towering clouds looming in the background.

I bought a Paul Henry for my West Cork holiday home. All came about as a result of offloading Bitcoin in December 2017 during the mania phase of the cryptocurrency scam.

Henry's landscapes are very pleasant, but he certainly wasn't a technically gifted artist. Just a decent landscape painter.
    Ted_YNWA wrote: »
    Hieronymus Bosch

See new details every time you look at it.

1920px-El_jard%C3%ADn_de_las_Delicias%2C_de_El_Bosco.jpg

I don't know if it's my favourite painting, but it's certainly the most interesting painting I've ever seen. It's a shame it's in Madrid, as Spaniards are incapable of silence even in an art gallery.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,976 ✭✭✭Brendog

When I saw the Pieta in the Vatican I was blown away. I'd seen pictures of it before but, looking at it in person my mind just boggled at the detail. Its no wonder its the only piece that Michelangelo signed.

Michel_Pieta.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 10,528 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

It's a shame it's in Madrid, as Spaniards are incapable of silence

You’ve, obviously, never been near a building “site” over there, A!

The tide is turning…

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,202 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

I'm pretty much a philistine when it comes it art, but this piece stood out for me. Proably just because it's so shockingly violent.

Saturn Devouring his Son by Peter Paul Rubens, seen in the Museo del Prado in Madrid.
    290px-Rubens_saturn.jpg

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,376 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

Guernica by picasso,I think.

Another vote here for the Guernica, that's a pretty amazing spectacle.
    GLaDOS wrote: »
    I'm pretty much a philistine when it comes it art, but this piece stood out for me. Proably just because it's so shockingly violent.

I can't remember seeing the Rubens one but I distinctly remember the Goya version, also in the Prado; I'm also a bit of a philistine (I went during free entry hours! :pac: ), there are only so many Renaissance-style "masterpieces" I can take before they all look the same. For me the most memorable and interesting part of the Prado was by far the section with Goya's "black paintings".

450px-Francisco_de_Goya%2C_Saturno_devorando_a_su_hijo_%281819-1823%29.jpg

One place I enjoyed was the Magritte Museum in Brussels, definitely some of my favourite paintings I've seen.

the-return-1940(1).jpg

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,118 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

I always liked 'Earthmother' by Dick Joynt at Dublin Airport. It used to have a prominent position as you entered the airport.

On the right is an image when it was briefly exhibited elsewhere.

512559.jpg

On the left is where Dublin Airport have it now. In the shadow of a multi-storey car park.

It looks like a pile of ****. Dublin Airport do not deserve to have it.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

For me:

"Taking of the Christ" by Caravaggio

001105f0-1600.jpg

And "Gas" by Edward Hopper. I have this over my fireplace.

Di87Om0UcAAmKKh.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Hooked

just stumbled across this post...

and had been sent this FB link the weekend, where people imitated famous paintings. The 2 violent ones above (which I'd never seen until this weekend) are also recreated!

Some crackers in here... https://www.facebook.com/ahmad.ramadan342/

ENJOY!

?type=3&theater

• Registered Users Posts: 33,728 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

I find it impossible to have a favourite, I just feel it is an honour when I do get the chance to see the art of people I learned about at school or television/internet.

Van Gogh is probably my favourite, I have seen close to 80 paintings by Picasso, Monet is another whose paintings I love.

One can not equate something one sees via some media compared to seeing it in person where detail and colour can be seen and appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭markjbloggs

Muahahaha wrote: »

Plus the gold plated inscription below it gives you that bonus airbrushing of British colonialist history -"Donated by Captain Powell of HMS Topaze to Queen Victoria in 1869". Eh no lads, you pillaged their islands and stole it.

I think you'll find the Easter Islanders did a pretty good job of pillaging their own island long before the Brits got there.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭Poochie05

I’d agree it can be hard to pick a favourite without a qualifying 'it depends' but the ones that I was most struck with by the colours and level of detail by seeing in person was Monet's Water lilies in the Orangerie in Paris

• Registered Users Posts: 12,365 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

I don't know how to link it but, I love the song of the mad prince by Harry Clark, its colors are luminous.

http://onlinecollection.nationalgallery.ie/objects/2389/the-song-of-the-mad-prince

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭Hodors Appletart

I was in Cairo with work and we went into the Museum there. loads of mummies and treasure etc

but when I walked into the small room with the Mask of Tutankhamun my breath was taken away. its a small enough piece but it is absolutely glorious to look at just stunning. it was difficult enough to walk away from it. no picture i'd ever seen of it prepared me and no picture i've seen since does it any kind of justice at all.

mesmerising

Advertisement