Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Favourite piece of art you've seen

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,635 ✭✭✭dotsman

Runaways wrote: »
    This reminded me we visited the quarry that the marble that David came from you can buy some of it

Wasn't the marble $hite though? I thought that was the reason that David had to be moved in to the Galleria in the 1800's and replaced with a copy in the Piazza della Signoria (and significant restoration required to the original).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

It might seem low-key but this painting by William Leech in our own National Gallery. The sense of light is breathtaking in the flesh.

w1500-Leech-Convent-Garden.jpg

Seamai wrote: »
    Breughal's Hunters in the Snow has been my favourite painting since I was a kid, got to see it in Vienna last year and wasn't disappointed.

I love this painting too.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭Runaways

dotsman wrote: »
    Wasn't the marble $hite though? I thought that was the reason that David had to be moved in to the Galleria in the 1800's and replaced with a copy in the Piazza della Signoria (and significant restoration required to the original).

Possibly
    He was to be one of a series to go on the roof of a Cathedral but it didn’t go ahead

Possibly as the marble was sub par

Might explain why he’s in doors and treated so delicately

• Registered Users Posts: 19,610 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Runaways wrote: »
    This reminded me we visited the quarry that the marble that David came from you can buy some of it
    David was on veiled on September 8 which is also my birthday and my name is David. Serendipity or what

You're going to have to carve a miniature David from that block of marble now.

• Advertisement

Muahahaha wrote: »
    You're going to have to carve a miniature David from that block of marble now.

Imagine:)

Mick probably did quite a few now you mentioned it

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭Scarlet42

The Three Graces by Antonio Canova - seen it in Edinburgh about 20 years ago .. absolutely stunning

Graces_front_back_2560.jpg

https://www.vam.ac.uk/articles/the-three-graces

• Registered Users Posts: 12,365 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

I have neve seen it in person but I love The kiss by Klimt

https://www.belvedere.at/en/kiss-gustav-klimt

To me it epitomises romantic sexual love, someone could writhe pages and pages on the subject and not explain it but one painting can.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,753 ✭✭✭SmallTeapot

Fantastic idea for a thread - thanks OP :)

I'm in agreement with many in the thread, Rembrandts' The Night Watch in the Rijksmuseum, Amsterdam is truly an amazing work to behold in person due to the sheer scale and detail of the painting.
    Also, the Rijksmuseum is a must see for any art lover - so many beautiful works under one roof (from medieval to modern eras) :)

I went to Picasso's museum last year; if you are in Barcelona, it really is worth a visit. The museum is laid out in such a way that it chronologically showcased his life through his painting/etchings/ photographs/ letters etc. I learnt such a great deal about his life - visitors really get a feel for his sarcastic sense of humour :pac:, the sheer number of works he produced across his life (he was like a creative machine!), and the different periods of his work. When you see all his work from the different artistic eras of his life - the blue period, Cubism etc. - on display together, you would think they were produced by multiple artists/ people, as they're so diverse. As a person who adores art, but nevertheless a lay person, I always associated him with abstract works, but his work transversed so many styles. He continued to change and grow as an artist from a child to an adult all coinciding with his colourful life :) (for instance, in 1911, he was arrested and questioned about the theft of the Mona Lisa from the Louvre! :D)

One of the most interesting things that struck me from visiting his museum was that he was a highly accomplished realist artist as a child/ teen - an incredibly talented portrait artist. For instance, he painted this work, Science and Charity at the age of 16

science-and-charity-1897.jpg!Large.jpg

Which irl is quite a substantial size (photo below shows scale). Hard to believe a teenager was capable of such fine work... let alone Picasso who we strongly associate with more abstract pieces
    0-Hcl8A8y0PY5Hkjn96tuPqYim8A1mDBMOe2jAQjEPX6h5x81wVoyrUmeUaP23nl9blS5DiXn3wK0gFi2gjpENnR9serMME5xRz9wCzQSu26gU-PgBKbZPlHDt-gnQ

The Un bar aux Folies Bergère (A Bar at the Folies-Bergère) by Édouard Manet in the Courtauld Gallery in London while not necessarily a world famous painting, is quite the captivating piece in person as the presence of a mirror in the image really impacts the viewers' perspective of the subject, their surroundings and the placement of the artist...

a-bar-at-the-folies-bergere-edouard-manet.jpg

I have pictures of a few more works saved to my phone, so I will probably come back to update this post at a later time...

The Un bar aux Folies Bergère (A Bar at the Folies-Bergère) by Édouard Manet in the Courtauld Gallery in London while not necessarily a world famous painting, is quite the captivating piece in person as the presence of a mirror in the image really impacts the viewers' perspective of the subject, their surroundings and the placement of the artist...

Oh, that is a world famous painting for sure.

• Advertisement

So brilliant seeing even one positive and enlightening Thread On this site

Thank you 0P

• Registered Users Posts: 33,005 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

The favourite I actually seen was The Last Supper by Da Vinci in the refectory of the Convent of Santa Maria delle Grazie in Milan.

The day I went to see it I was the only person there, it just seemed so strange to be standing looking at one of the world's most famous pieces of art on my own in such a quiet place.

It's very faded but you are still touched with a little awe with it.

For sheer shock at the quality, it's also hard to see past the ceiling of the Sistine Chapel. Amazing. Man was a genius.

Also impressed by the Venus de Milo in the Louvre, but not so much by the Mona Lisa. Ok yeah it's famous and was surrounded but it's so small. Perhaps if you had the chance to stand in front of it yourself and study it, you could appreciate it more.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,753 ✭✭✭SmallTeapot

Oh, that is a world famous painting for sure.

Ah yes, I agree - but I suppose that Manet would not have been as well known as as Monet, Matisse or Cezanne :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

Michaelangelos David in Florence. Magnificent.
    Any of Lowery's paintings. Beautiful.

I really like the caracvecchio in Dublin but would love to see others by him in time.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,835 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

My favourite piece of art has been created....

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,581 ✭✭✭✭The Princess Bride

I remember seeing The Mona Lisa in the Louvre, and almost exploding with laughter at this teeny tiny picture that had dozens almost clamouring over each other to photograph. It did nothingfor me.

But in the same room, The Wedding Feast at Cana by Paolo Veronese was stunning.
    https://www.artbible.info/art/large/707.html

• Registered Users Posts: 20,174 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

I'd be hard-pressed to name a favourite per sé, but a print of Farquharson's "The Shortening Winters Day" hangs in my living-room and pleases me every day:

The_shortening_winter%27s_day_is_near_a_close_Farquharson.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 10,528 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

jimgoose wrote: »
    I'd be hard-pressed to name a favourite per sé, but a print of Farquharson's "The Shortening Winters Day" hangs in my living-room and pleases me every day:

Have you got Constable’s ‘The Hay Wain’ in the hall, J?

The tide is turning…

Have you got Constable’s ‘The Hay Wain’ in the hall, J?

Negatory, Chief - a couple of small prints of Dutch clippers Philips van Marnix and Liberaal at full sail, and a timber barometer. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

Ain Ghazal Statues in the Lourve...one of the oldest examples of sculpture and the amount of folks that just walked past it, or else past negative comments...its circa 9,000 years old...

800px-Ain_Ghazal_statue.jpg

• Advertisement

Great thread :)

I have a few.

The first one is by an artist called Gerald Edward Moira The Silent Voice. I love it.
    The second one is Mihály Zichy Romantic Encounter.

Also love these two.
    A Charlie Mackesy illustration
    She Is Not Gone by Daniel Gerhartz.

File:Sunday_Afternoon.jpg

This is my favourite painting.A sunday afternoon on the island of La Grande Jatte. Just a beautiful painting to see up close as exemplified in Ferris Bueller's day off.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭davetherave

I remember seeing The Mona Lisa in the Louvre, and almost exploding with laughter at this teeny tiny picture that had dozens almost clamouring over each other to photograph. It did nothingfor me.

Yeah it really is a "Is that it?" moment when you see it.

I have a handful of Andrew Bones artwork around the place and a few more in bubblewrap that get rotated around avery month or every six weeks or so.

https://www.parkwestgallery.com/browse-artwork/gallery/andrew-bone

I don't know if they'd be considered the greatest artwork in the world, but I like them. :)

JyIVx3c.jpg?2
    eeB42ng.jpg?1
    CUk3ARt.jpg?1
    SstdpR1.jpg
    EMDnIiA.jpg?1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭Portmanteau

Ipso wrote: »
    Is Nighthawks one of Hopper’s?
    Sure is.

So much northern renaissance for me - probably the Arnolfini Marriage wins.

And American Gothic.

46452118635_cf869f621b_b.jpg

They've obviously seen better days but there's something captivating about the Colossi of Memnon (c.1300-1400BC). A photo could never do justice to the scale of them. I'd love to have seen them in their heyday.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,610 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

But in the same room, The Wedding Feast at Cana by Paolo Veronese was stunning.
    https://www.artbible.info/art/large/707.html

Yeah I think a lot of people feel the same upon seeing the Mona Lisa. Half the problem is that it is very small and you can only see it from behind a barrier several metres from it and even then there is likely to be a crowd three or four deep at the barrier jostling for a view virtually all day long. They say its genius is in Mona's eyes, that if you walked by it her eyes follow you across the room. Problem is with the crowds you wont be walking anywhere and instead you're left squinting at it from a distance. It is a bit over rated though.

The Louvre is still a fine muesum, one of the worlds best. Its mad to think that they have some 30,000 odd pieces of art on display but then a further 80,000 sitting in storage somewhere.
    jimgoose wrote: »

Thats a fine piece, I love the sunrise in the distance and how wooly the sheep are in the snow. Any tips for buying replica prints, what site did you use? Have been meaning to buy a good replica for above the fireplace but not sure where to start.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,494 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

Scarlet42 wrote: »

They all have lovely bottoms.

🙈🙉🙊

• Registered Users Posts: 6,210 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

NietzscheArcadia_clip_image006.jpg
    Nicolas Poussin, 'Et in Arcadia Ego' 1637-39

I haven't seen it in person, but I like it

• Advertisement

Muahahaha wrote: »
    ...Thats a fine piece, I love the sunrise in the distance and how wooly the sheep are in the snow. Any tips for buying replica prints, what site did you use? Have been meaning to buy a good replica for above the fireplace but not sure where to start.

Thank you, I like it. The print I have is in a 22'' x 18'' frame and cost 30 Euro at a bric-a-brac stall in the local shopping centre about ten years ago, so I'm afraid I won't be your man in Sotheby's. :pac:

This is it:

513609.jpg

Advertisement