Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Favourite piece of art you've seen

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

Hammer89 wrote: »
    Do you have to be good at art or drawing to be an artist? Because I sometimes think up good concept ideas for a painting but obviously can't paint it.
    Nope. :)

You can get computer programs to do it now :)

13-Kaloger-Dali.png?content-type=image%2Fpng

Dali

Artemisia Gentileschi

caravaggio-judith.jpg

Junji Ito
    hqdefault.jpg

waldemar von kozak

white_or_black_by_waldemar_kazak_da160yh-pre.jpg?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOiIsImlzcyI6InVybjphcHA6Iiwib2JqIjpbW3siaGVpZ2h0IjoiPD0xMjAwIiwicGF0aCI6IlwvZlwvMGMzOWRlMTUtNjAwOS00MjRhLTk5YzctMjBhYmUxZmVjODEzXC9kYTE2MHloLTE4Zjc1ZWI4LTM1OGItNDZjYy1iMjIxLThiNzljYzFiYzNkMy5qcGciLCJ3aWR0aCI6Ijw9MTY0MiJ9XV0sImF1ZCI6WyJ1cm46c2VydmljZTppbWFnZS5vcGVyYXRpb25zIl19.eP0SLBhUQuC2hSII9K0muDk6XbNxzf6s1t4v6nt7KbE

preview_large_2420-990x675.jpg?1456864098

775d897fbb70dee117843bbf3da81922.jpg

e23416011a2e4a0e62fd6fc00c168e5f.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭LeYouth

13-Kaloger-Dali.png?content-type=image%2Fpng

Dali

Artemisia Gentileschi

caravaggio-judith.jpg

Junji Ito
    hqdefault.jpg

What does that last one represent. Never seen that before.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,821 Mod ✭✭✭✭iamstop

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,187 ✭✭✭Andrewf20

A bit of a hero of mine is also Michael Turner. He did alot of motorsport and aviation art. Heres one of the fearsome original Spa Francorchamps circuit in 1970 thru the La Carriere kink (my favourite of his)...

MT076BelgianGP70_L.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 19,610 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Hammer89 wrote: »
    Do you have to be good at art or drawing to be an artist? Because I sometimes think up good concept ideas for a painting but obviously can't paint it.

Some abstract art out there would make you wonder how difficult it is. Like the Irish artist Sean Scully, he just paints stripes and patchwork which looks easy yet his pieces sell for tens of thousands. Then again if it was that easy everyone would be doing it.

Scully2.jpg?itok=ygd5XQSq

But I still look at his work and think it doesnt look all that hard to recreate once you can find out the shades of colours he is using. Its certainly nowhere near as skillful as other art posted on this thread.

Ilya and Emilia Kabakov

The Children's Hospital. It is an installation piece.

I have often thought all children's toys should be based around this ethos.

Video games dolls etc ...they could nurture children teach them ..help them. :) Imagine video games that taught you a language as you played them or something.

Just like the children's hospital.

1105.jpg

In fact .....i don't think any other piece of art has affected me so much in my entire life.

Little girls should be taught philosophy by barbie dolls.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,676 ✭✭✭buried

jahbulon.jpg?w=653

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

buried wrote: »
    jahbulon.jpg?w=653

I like it ..do you know who its by?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,676 ✭✭✭buried

I like it ..do you know who its by?

Sorry, I never gave a description! Its from a graphic novel book about the Jack the Ripper murders called "From Hell" by Alan Moore and Eddie Campbell.

Highly recommended. Great Read. Great Art. :)

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

buried wrote: »
    Sorry, I never gave a description! Its from a graphic novel book about the Jack the Ripper murders called "From Hell" by Alan Moore and Eddie Campbell.

Highly recommended. Great Read. Great Art. :)
    Wow I will look it up even if i don't read all of it ...it looks interesting to take a look at ! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭two wheels good

OP, I wondered if that that was your own copy of The Scream completed during lockdown.
    But I see there are different versions link. $120m for the pastel version.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,391 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

cRtF3WdYfRQEraAcQz8dWDJOq3XsRX-h244rOw6zwkHtxy7NHjJOany7u4I2EG_uMAfNwBLHkFyLMENzpmfBTSYXIH_F=w200

The Milkmaid by Johannes Vermeer.

Rijksmuseum Amsterdam.

I think it's just stunning.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Hiitsme

The Veiled Christ marble sculpture by Giuseppe Sanmartino in the Cappella Sansevero, Naples (1753). Saw it last year while visiting Naples. An absolutely beautiful piece of art.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭Seamai

Hiitsme wrote: »
    The Veiled Christ marble sculpture by Giuseppe Sanmartino in the Cappella Sansevero, Naples (1753). Saw it last year while visiting Naples. An absolutely beautiful piece of art.

I saw that in Naples last year and was really looking forward to getting up close but was a bit disappointed, I felt that the veil over the body appeared to be too thick and potentially masked the sculptors skill but that's just me.
    There was another piece in the same chapel that had a figure partially wrapped in a fish net, that had me scratching my head wondering how that could be possible with marble.

Did you get to see Carravaggio's Seven Works of Mercy in the Pio Monte della Misericordia nearby? That knocked my socks off.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Hiitsme

Seamai wrote: »
    I saw that in Naples last year and was really looking forward to getting up close but was a bit disappointed, I felt that the veil over the body appeared to be too thick and potentially masked the sculptors skill but that's just me.
    There was another piece in the same chapel that had a figure partially wrapped in a fish net, that had me scratching my head wondering how that could be possible with marble.

Did you get to see Carravaggio's Seven Works of Mercy in the Pio Monte della Misericordia nearby? That knocked my socks off.

Yes, I saw Carravaggio's Seven Works of Mercy ... truly magnificent. Carravaggio is my favourite artist of all time and was the reason for my trip to Naples. I loved the city with its many treasures, museums and art and had planned to return at Easter this year, however, Covid dashed my plans! I look forward to returning next year to see the other Carravaggio masterpieces I missed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭Seamai

Hiitsme wrote: »
    Yes, I saw Carravaggio's Seven Works of Mercy ... truly magnificent. Carravaggio is my favourite artist of all time and was the reason for my trip to Naples. I loved the city with its many treasures, museums and art and had planned to return at Easter this year, however, Covid dashed my plans! I look forward to returning next year to see the other Carravaggio masterpieces I missed.

Naples is a fantastic city, I felt safer than I would in Barcelona. Many bypass it because of it's reputation but going outside ones comfort zone can be very rewarding, great food too. Got to see his Martyrdom of St. Ursula in the Palazzo Zevalos-Stigliano, didn't make it out to Capodimonte but like you will definitely go back next year.
    Saw his Beheading of John the Baptist in Valletta just before the lockdown.

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭upupup

stillness exuberance intoxication
    514889.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭Vincent Vega

█████████
    █████████

█████████
    █████████
    █████████

█████████
    █████████

by Mark Rothko

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,732 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

█████████
    █████████

█████████
    █████████
    █████████

█████████
    █████████

by Mark Rothko

pfffft

Kazimir Malevich, Black Square, 1915, oil on linen, 79.5 x 79.5 cm, Tretyakov Gallery, Moscow.

Too precious to sell

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

treasury-building-sculpture

I'm not sure if it counts, but I used to love the Woman climbing the Treasury Building, now NAMA headquarters. I think it may be gone now.

Originally commissioned by Johnny Ronan, the sculptor's vision was of a man crawlling up, but Ronan was horrified when he seen the scaled down model. The artist here is Rowan Gillispie

https://www.independent.ie/business/irish/statue-got-sex-change-as-ex-billionaire-ronan-didnt-want-naked-man-on-treasury-building-28940311.html

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

I love this. The anthropomorphism, kitsch style, and capturing of the various emotions one feels when playing poker.

dogs-playing-poker-painting-1.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,271 ✭✭✭Barna77

I love this. The anthropomorphism, kitsch style, and capturing of the various emotions one feels when playing poker.
    We had that at home when I was a kid :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭Yester

█████████
    █████████

█████████
    █████████
    █████████

█████████
    █████████

by Mark Rothko

I think that's just a picture of ice-cream.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭Hibernicis

█████████
    █████████

█████████
    █████████
    █████████

█████████
    █████████

by Mark Rothko
    Yester wrote: »
    I think that's just a picture of ice-cream.

Close, but not quite right. From the bottom:
    • The green green grass of home
    • Kerry’s awesome Purple Mountain
    • Blue skies smiling at me; Nothing but blue skies do I see (Irving Berlin)

I love modern art, no matter how simple. The power of art is in it’s capacity to be interpreted by it’s audience, offering to each observer their own interpretation; beauty being in the eye of the beholder and all that.

This is probably the best ever thread on Boards. Compliments to the OP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭1o059k7ewrqj3n

dogs-playing-poker-painting-1.jpg

03087cb0b967e970f4d6ffa0cc126fbf.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,378 ✭✭✭Riddle101

Do album covers count? If so i've always appreciated Iron Maiden for their creative album covers.

A Matter of Life and Death is probably my favorite album cover by them.

big_R-10463841-1499861168-3991.jpeg.jpg?lm=1561403144

• Registered Users Posts: 17,869 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Picture Gallery with Views of Modern Rome by Giovanni Paolo Panini, this was on my list of must sees on my one and only trip to the Louvre and I forgot about it, then I just happened to walk past it tucked away in a corner upstairs on the way out. Other countries would build a museum around a painting like this but that's just the way the Louvre is, too many classics to give them all their own gallery. I would have been raging if I'd missed it...

a5lub6uq38y11.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,753 ✭✭✭SmallTeapot

Thargor wrote: »
    Picture Gallery with Views of Modern Rome by Giovanni Paolo Panini, this was on my list of must sees on my one and only trip to the Louvre and I forgot about it, then I just happened to walk past it tucked away in a corner upstairs on the way out. Other countries would build a museum around a painting like this but that's just the way the Louvre is, too many classics to give them all their own gallery. I would have been raging if I'd missed it...

a5lub6uq38y11.jpg

Wow, that's stunning!

Advertisement