Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part III - **Read OP for Mod Warnings**

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 379 ✭✭Mike3287

You should stuff your shirt with bubble wrap too, just in case.

Why would I do that?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

Dr Spin and the rest of the parasitical reprobates that make up the Irish government decided to copy the UK government who was advised by that “do as I say,not as I do” Neil Ferguson. That was the decision.

Be careful there bud. Your mask is slipping and your agenda is being exposed.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,349 ✭✭✭Jimmy Garlic

Mike3287 wrote: »
    Why would I do that?

To make sure people social distance themselves even further away from you. I bet you are one of these who wears their mask, blue gloves and safety glasses in the car.

Be careful there bud. Your mask is slipping and your agenda is being exposed.

What agenda would that be?

In the context of the current public health emergency a mask slipping is a very serious matter indeed. Not something to joke about.

He would rinse himself with bleach if that happened.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

What agenda would that be?

Reread your previous post that I replied to.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,511 ✭✭✭Penfailed

Mike3287 wrote: »
    When a respiratory disease is out there put on mask and eyewear

Apparently you're a 'shamer' if you do that...

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Yep, Poland closed their borders to foreigners, and strict quarantining of Polish people returning to their country... maybe by closing off their country to external threats, they could afford to offer Polish people living and working in the country more freedom so they could drive further than 10km to visit family, and perhaps that’s why they’re further ahead of us now in opening up and getting back to some semblance of normality without wrecking their economy.

But why our leaders here can’t see this astounds me.

Thst was to the comment which suggested Polands restrictions weren't much different to here. Point is they were different. As detailed the army in Poland were evem mandated to help police to keep people off the streets if they have no good reason to be outside, can you imagine that being tried here and the screaming it would cause?

I agree that Ireland should have closed its borders especially at the very beginning of the outbreak when we knew there were both nationals and non nationals coming in from infection hotspots. At least we should have suspended some flights and put in place full quantentine for those who needed to be repatriated.

The funny things is that some of the ones screaming that we need all restrictions lifted now - were the ekf same who wanted no border restrictions whatsover at the beginning of the outbreak.

Captain hindsight is a useful fellow but we have to deal with where we are at. Not where other countries are at. That's it really.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,511 ✭✭✭Penfailed

People need to accept the reality that they won’t be going on a foreign holiday until a vaccine is developed. We need every border in this country locked down and protected now!

What about those living on one side but working on the other?

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

People need to accept the reality that they won’t be going on a foreign holiday until a vaccine is developed. We need every border in this country locked down and protected now!

Indeed and while we are at it close every business down limit travel crash our economy quarantine the healthy. Oh wait we’ve already done that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

I still haven't seen 1 logical reason to justify why Ireland is so radically different to the rest of the EU?

I keep going back to this - https://i.ibb.co/wpqSyjG/Screenshot-2020-05-09-at-01-07-58.png

Then thinking about how long it's felt since all this started in March. We have that same length of time to look forward to before we get to even Phase 3. Look at all those countries in Europe who are currently doing stuff in phases 4 and 5 NOW. It makes me feel utterly demoralised. What's it going to be like in 6 weeks time from now when we're watching Europe being open for MONTHS by then?

Whats so special about us here, please?

Can we really be so deluded to think we're the only ones to realise how to do this properly, and the whole continent are cuckoo?

We are not radically different to the EU.

There is a lie being propagated here that countries across Europe are throwing open their doors and all is normal.

This is not true.

Life remains restricted and will do for some months in every country to varying degrees.

Progress is also dependent on keeping the virus suppressed.

Whether a country decides to open hairdressers and another doesn't is the least of the concerns and is irrelevant in the grand scheme of things.

Just yesterday Spain refused to allow Madrid reopen parts of it's economy. Italian officials have warned that if rules continue to be flouted they have no choice but to reintroduce tougher restrictions. Again only select industries are open.

In Germany different states are at different stages. None has everything open as if all is normal and conditions are very strict for progress.

In France Paris has been refused permission to ease it's restrictions and elsewhere the only restriction lifted is not requiring a permit to leave your home.

Rinse and repeat across Europe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭easypazz

You can still fly to a few places, granted there are restrictions, but these will ease, numbers travelling will increase and people will be going on foreign holiday.

Waiting for a vaccine could mean never leave Ireland again. Hard to see that happening.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,011 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

gozunda wrote: »
    Well let me just say that statement in bunkum and claptrap at best.

The EU does not mandate cross European agreements how each countries deals with it's own experience of the pandemic.

As to "opening up months before us". That's simply rubbish. Most EU countries have had 8 weeks of stay at home restictions. We're only at week 6.

Each country that I've seen have a whole range of different restrictions and a planned timeline how and when their restrictions will be rolled back

Perhaps you would like to organise a coup and replace our own government with some other? That seems to be the general gist of a lot of the comments tbh.

And no that does not mean people asking questions which are based on reality

You should be a politician, you managed to completely avoid the question, waffle for a while and then say something ludicrous to deflect. Are you horrified at the germans, polish, Czechs and Belgians lifting some restrictions early.

gozunda wrote: »
    Thst was to the comment which suggested Polands restrictions weren't much different to here. Point is they were different. As detailed the army in Poland were evem mandated to help police to keep people off the streets if they have no good reason to be outside, can you imagine that bring tried here and the screaming it would cause?

I agree that Ireland should have closed its borders especially at the very beginning of the outbreak when we knew there were both nationals and non nationals coming in from infection hotspots. At least we should have suspended some flights and put in place full quantentine for those who needed to be repatriated.

The funny things is that some of the ones screaming that we need all restrictions lifted now - were the ekf same who wanted no border restrictions whatsover at the beginning if the outbreak.

Captain hindsight is a useful fellow but we have to deal with where we are at. Not where other countries are at. That's it really.

There was 20000 in Spain and maybe the same in Cheltenham.

A rough estimate would be 100000 needing to be repatriated.

Where do you suggest these go for 14 days?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,209 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

People will of course be going abroad before theres a vaccine, you think the whole world is going to wait for one ? Good one. You can stay locked down for as long as you want, dont travel until a vaccine, I dont really care that's your own choice but others will want to travel and get on with life. What if there isnt a vaccine, can't live like this forever

Secondly there are over 300 border crossings between north and south on this island. How do you propose we lock them down.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,267 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

easypazz wrote: »
    There was 20000 in Spain and maybe the same in Cheltenham.

A rough estimate would be 100000 needing to be repatriated.

Where do you suggest these go for 14 days?

They could have stayed at home for 14 days after they came home at least

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

We're just going to have to learn to accept our standard of living is going to be decimated for a while.

No four/five holiday trips abroad every year. No takeouts every two nights because we are too lazy to cook. No new iPhones every year. No new cars every year or so "bought" on the never-never of lease-back. No more blowing €100 on a night out.

Pensions are going to be hit badly. Mortgages will have to be shifted to multi-generational ones.

But we will survive and rebuild. We did it after WW1 and Spanish flu. And after WW2.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,837 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

You should stuff your shirt with bubble wrap too, just in case.
    You should order a pallet of baked beans and just never leave the house again. I’m sure you already have enough toilet paper for the long haul.
    Dr Spin and the rest of the parasitical reprobates that make up the Irish government decided to copy the UK government who was advised by that “do as I say,not as I do” Neil Ferguson. That was the decision.
    To make sure people social distance themselves even further away from you. I bet you are one of these who wears their mask, blue gloves and safety glasses in the car.
    He would rinse himself with bleach if that happened.
    Threadbanned

• Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Multipass

We're just going to have to learn to accept our standard of living is going to be decimated for a while.

No four/five holiday trips abroad every year. No takeouts every two nights because we are too lazy to cook. No new iPhones every year. No new cars every year or so "bought" on the never-never of lease-back. No more blowing €100 on a night out.

Pensions are going to be hit badly. Mortgages will have to be shifted to multi-generational ones.

But we will survive and rebuild. We did it after WW1 and Spanish flu. And after WW2.

Wow, did you really live like that? Sounds a bit like the ‘we all partied’ before the last recession. The people hardest hit will be those already struggling.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,209 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

I don't know anyone that lives like that to start with.

Personally I think It will affect people in different ways, luckily I'm still employed at the moment so when travel can resume I fully intend on taking my holidays each year, 2 or 3 weekend city breaks and one week or two away somewhere nice. I'm in the position to do this as I never did buy a new car each year, public transport gets me in and out to work, a takeout might be once every few weeks and a new phone is every 2 years. My luxury is a few trips each year always has been and will continue to be.

• Advertisement

A camp should have been set up on the Curragh. Plenty of other countries pulled this kind of thing off.

For 100000 people, 2% of the population

What countries put 2% of their population living in tents?

Do you not think the disease would spread rampant amoung these people?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,308 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

Multipass wrote: »
    Wow, did you really live like that? Sounds a bit like the ‘we all partied’ before the last recession. The people hardest hit will be those already struggling.

Yep. That waffle about 4 or 5 holidays a year and €100 nights out postponed for a while is ignoring those affected most by the restrictions.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭hamburgham

Are they really expecting people to queue outside shops in the middle of Winter or when it’s pouring rain?

whelan2 wrote: »
    They could have stayed at home for 14 days after they came home at least

But that is the policy for everybody now anyway, and has been for about 6 weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,929 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

My friend in Munich tells me beer gardens open there on the 18th, till 8pm every day. A lot harder to social distance in our pokey pubs though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

being outside and in town every day, safe to say most have adapted to being as normal as they used to be before, 1-2months and only thing people will moan online will be shifted to blame government for butchering economy and jobs when there was no need.

hamburgham wrote: »
    Are they really expecting people to queue outside shops in the middle of Winter or when it’s pouring rain?

This will be forgotten quickly enough when everyone realises its far from deadly for 99.9% of the population.

I think when the countries on the continent go back to life as normal in just over a fortnight's time, more and more people will become frustrated.

The inquest into the decisions enforced in Ireland over the past few days will be brutal

hamburgham wrote: »

I mentioned previously I got in a shower the other day and everybody just piled in under shelter.

It will be the same with bus shelters etc., once weather hits people will pile in.

Its grand standing outside s shop now when it warm, sunny and most people have nothing else to do.

But if people are back at work in September and its cold wet they won't be so keen to be out in the rain.

My friend in Munich tells me beer gardens open there on the 18th, till 8pm every day. A lot harder to social distance in our pokey pubs though.

Plenty of pubs have outdoor space here.

They could also section off bits of the street outside and create beer gardens, as is being done in other countries.

But no, this is Ireland and thinking outside the box is frowned upon.

• Advertisement

Just wait until the 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th and 7th waves hit. You won’t be so flippant then.

I consider myself very civic minded.

Could I join your suggested posse?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement