Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Take away pints

• 09-05-2020 5:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭

Monroes have been doing take away food I know, but any truth to the claim they were doing take away pints yesterday???

People seen at the canal with take away cups. It's one thing (although not the best idea in the world, if even legal) if individuals got food and drink take away and opened cans, but another if these were pints? I can't imagine they were pouring were they?

Comments

I read somewhere that a pub in cork starting to sell take away pints this weekend as for as I remember they were going to be pouring draft into plastic takeaway pint glasses.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,215 ✭✭✭jh79

12 in Barna are doing 2 pint growlers and cocktails.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,961 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Are people really that desperate?

Are people really that desperate?

Not really, was getting food anyways so thought might as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭meath4sam

What’s the difference between a take away pint and buying cans for half the price in the shop?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭cal naughton

meath4sam wrote: »
    What’s the difference between a take away pint and buying cans for half the price in the shop?

More likes on social media!!

meath4sam wrote: »

The stout and lager the 12 are selling are not available in the shops.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,540 ✭✭✭dubrov

Surely no one is paying a fiver for a takeaway pint in a plastic cup?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭inisboffin

I knew the 12 were doing take away cocktails with dinner, but that was in a baggie I think.
    I'd assume the biggest difference is that there's a good chance you'd consume the pint on the street, which is what I heard happened around the corner in a usual spot outside another (closed) pub.
    I wasn't there so don't know if this was the case, or it was people opening cans (again slightly different thing) while eating their dinner.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭Whereisgalway

dubrov wrote: »
    Surely no one is paying a fiver for a takeaway pint in a plastic cup?

Plenty of covididiots out there

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 457 ✭✭ax530

I know that Guinness refunded pubs for unsold stock. This involved taking barrels away, cleaning out pipes ect due to cost of running can't see pubs leaving cold rooms, gas& cooling systems on while not selling lots of pints. These systems have been turned off.
    So anyplace which is offering them I would avoid as don't think the service teams are going around cleaning lines at this time.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,282 ✭✭✭✭zell12

Shocking

Imbibing de alcohol in a public place is an offence

Shocked

• Registered Users Posts: 25,653 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

inisboffin wrote: »
    I knew the 12 were doing take away cocktails with dinner, but that was in a baggie I think.
    I'd assume the biggest difference is that there's a good chance you'd consume the pint on the street, which is what I heard happened around the corner in a usual spot outside another (closed) pub.
    I wasn't there so don't know if this was the case, or it was people opening cans (again slightly different thing) while eating their dinner.

FWIW I walked down that street at about 7pm.

Didn't see anyone drinking from pub-issue looking plastic cups.

FWIW I walked down that street at about 7pm.

Didn't see anyone drinking from pub-issue looking plastic cups.

Thanks. I heard it was earlier, but again *did not* see this myself (but heard from 3 separate individuals that there was a queue and 'heiniken cups' being drunk).

I was asking the question if this was happening. Now if it did will anyone admit to doing it is doubtful ;)

zell12 wrote: »
    Shocking

Imbibing de alcohol in a public place is an offence

Shocked

LOL! Yeah yeah for some that never stopped, but what I found surprising was (IF THIS IS THE CASE) people were gathering on the streets with pints. Lots of take away places like the Twelve were doing take home booze around the country (with food), but an open cup? So nobody has witnessed this on here? Maybe it was a mirage...(although I doubt it).

• Registered Users Posts: 11,961 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

jh79 wrote: »
    The stout and lager the 12 are selling are not available in the shops.

What are they?

What are they?

Their own stout and lager, contract brewed i'd image. Can't remember the names.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,404 ✭✭✭JoeA3

Several pubs around the country have been doing this for weeks. My brother in law has availed of it in Dublin. Nice novelty but yeah is €5+ for a sloppy “pint” in a plastic cup.

I heard earlier that the Kings Head were doing it but it’s been confirmed to be fake news.

Friend of mine runs a pub and Guinness did take away most of the kegs and cleaned the pipes. He managed to keep a couple of kegs though ;)

I would be surprised if they were - would they not need an off licence rather than a pub licence.

Most likely was people getting plastic cups while buying from an off licence.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,870 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Passed Today sign for chicken wings and a pint fair play great idea to keep going in this crisis

• Advertisement

Storm 10 wrote: »
    Passed Today sign for chicken wings and a pint fair play great idea to keep going in this crisis

Monroes? Yeah my friend said he thought he saw burger and a pint sign yesterday.
    So here's the thing, you can't drive with open alcohol, you *technically* can't drink outside, unless a premises' tables etc, and premises are closed for all but take away.

Are the authorities turning a blind eye to a few people gathering outside a pub?
    Personally I don't care either way if people are being safe, but the 'gathering' thing outside doesn't happen until 18th.
    When I passed there was only food but another friend said they past people pinting.

pg633 wrote: »
    I would be surprised if they were - would they not need an off licence rather than a pub licence.

No apparently not. Don't know of many who get a can and pour it into a large plastic pint cup anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭undertaker fan 88

The bar in cork selling the take away pints got told stop by the guards

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭Mr Man

I passed Monroes on Friday evening around 6pm.
    There were a couple of people sitting on the canal wall drinking what appeared to be pints.
    There was also a fairly irate looking garda on his bike at the Monroes hatch.
    I'm not sure if these two things were connected.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭youngrun

Doubt this is legal . Pubs have an On Licence not an Off licence ie drinks must be consumed on the premises...

youngrun wrote: »
    Doubt this is legal . Pubs have an On Licence not an Off licence ie drinks must be consumed on the premises...

Most of these rules are being waived at the moment. Most restaurants aren’t allowed to sell takeaway but they are at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,653 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Most of these rules are being waived at the moment. Most restaurants aren’t allowed to sell takeaway but they are at the moment.

Planning conditions are in a different league to licensing laws though.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,675 ✭✭✭hynesie08

youngrun wrote: »

Publicans license covers on and off, once they're following the rules for an off licence, nothing illegal about it.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,553 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

hynesie08 wrote: »
    Publicans license covers on and off, once they're following the rules for an off licence, nothing illegal about it.
    I'm sure Tommy Varden has had a serious run on closed pint glasses to cope with this demand.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,031 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

pg633 wrote: »

Every pub can sell off-licence, can't they?

You can walk into a pub, and buy cans/bottles to take away?

Advertisement