Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork City FC

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭corks finest

To get back competing with Dalk and Rovers we need outside investment imo. FORAS has been good but the model is skewed. Former board members lying at AGMs about fund mismanagement, the constant threat of solicitors letters, random twitter accounts slating “the new board” etc. we’ve shown we cannot manage things ourselfs.
    Only for win a gaff and the Preston owner giving us a ton of money over the odds their would be no club, and no one held accountable. In the current model these same people who sit front and center at AGMs sniggering at the lads trying to fix things, will be back in power sooner or later and that makes me think long and hard before investing in my club. I’ve spoken to others who have been in FORAS longer then me and some even served on the BOM and they feel the same.

I agree 100 PC, definitely need investors and transparency,+ a change of board every 2 / 3 years,Foras on paper is great but in a business can't work

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭Justin Credible Darts

I'd say its only upsetting you oul stock, don't know why? Insecurity? P.S. pass on a big hug to you kid!

On the contrary, it was another member who used it as an excuse to have a cry about me when I hurt his feelings about cork city in another thread.
    His complaint had nothing to do with my post so the failure to capitalize the letter c hurt his feelings :D

see here

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=112818801&postcount=4844

On the contrary, it was another member who used it as an excuse to have a cry about me when I hurt his feelings about cork city in another thread.
    His complaint had nothing to do with my post so the failure to capitalize the letter c hurt his feelings :D

see here

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=112818801&postcount=4844

Mea culpa

• Registered Users Posts: 34,049 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

No it hasn't... not by a long, long shot.

There's been some tough times, then some great times and now some tough times again. Nobody was complaining about it being a disaster in 2015/16/17 for instance.
    FORAS are the longest surviving owners or the club as well. When the club was privately owned no-one gave a fiddlers and were happy to see someone else throw their money in yet happy to criticise their decisions at the same time. (There were some shocking owners to be fair who just didn't have a clue... no names needed..)

It's a tough gig and FORAS did well for years, albeit with some decisions that in hindsight were bad ones. Unfortunately success comes with a hefty price tag and we paid that price. We're not the first ones to get caught out on that score either, and we won't be the last. The LoI in general is a money pit and I doubt that anyone has ever made money from it. Between the fire in Douglas, revenue playing hardball (which IMO was disgusting behaviour from them) and now this Covid19 saga it's been one disaster after another of late but I have full faith in our BoM to drag us through it, set the reset button, learn from our mistakes and drive on again.

I can’t agree.

It’s been nothing but disaster. Winning the league has nothing to do with this.

This was set up with the idea of the club never having the problems they face now.

Far far far bigger picture then just a league title at stake here, again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,268 ✭✭✭twowheelsonly

I can’t agree.

It’s been nothing but disaster. Winning the league has nothing to do with this.

This was set up with the idea of the club never having the problems they face now.

Far far far bigger picture then just a league title at stake here, again.

You can't say that "It's been nothing but disaster" and then follow that up with "Winning the League has nothing to do with this.." (I know well BTW that there's a far bigger picture than the League Title at stake here..)

Disaster would have been if TNB had been allowed to completely run the club into the ground and collapsed the whole lot with no backup plan. As it happened some very dedicated supporters had a backup in place in the guise of FORAS. FORAS , BTW, was originally set up to help out the club and to be there as backing for whatever owners were in place. Dealing with TNB became untenable though and things moved so fast that FORAS actually became the accidental owners. That was never the plan but that was where the ball landed. Things improved from there, culminating in winning the double in 2017.

It's only since then that things went downhill. The BoM banked on continuing success and budgeted for gates based on that. The budget was far too optimistic and when the wins stopped coming so did the crowds. Boom, bang, wallop we were stretched too far. It's happened before, to numerous owners of both this club and others. Sligo, Shams, Shelbourne, Bohs, Derry, Drogheda, Dundalk - They've all had purple patches followed by gloom and doom.

Inevitably, because we're fan owned and there's always going to be massive differences of opinions, the bitching started, some very nasty rumours did the rounds and blame was being thrown left right and centre. With a smaller professional owner, such as an individual businessman, most of that would be kept in-house and we'd never know the half of it. We're very much in a boom-bust business but even at that there's still sweet f to be made even in the boom times. I would confidently say that no-one has ever made money from owning a LoI club. The more successful you are, the more you spend. If the success stops then so does the income but, as happened with us, the wage bill was still there. We're not the first club to try to lead the way with professionalism but ultimately it cost us, just the same as it has cost every other club over the years. Until we reach a stage where our players at transferred at English and European price levels then all clubs here are going to be living on a knife edge.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭Chuck Noland

You can't say that "It's been nothing but disaster" and then follow that up with "Winning the League has nothing to do with this.." (I know well BTW that there's a far bigger picture than the League Title at stake here..)

Disaster would have been if TNB had been allowed to completely run the club into the ground and collapsed the whole lot with no backup plan. As it happened some very dedicated supporters had a backup in place in the guise of FORAS. FORAS , BTW, was originally set up to help out the club and to be there as backing for whatever owners were in place. Dealing with TNB became untenable though and things moved so fast that FORAS actually became the accidental owners. That was never the plan but that was where the ball landed. Things improved from there, culminating in winning the double in 2017.

It's only since then that things went downhill. The BoM banked on continuing success and budgeted for gates based on that. The budget was far too optimistic and when the wins stopped coming so did the crowds. Boom, bang, wallop we were stretched too far. It's happened before, to numerous owners of both this club and others. Sligo, Shams, Shelbourne, Bohs, Derry, Drogheda, Dundalk - They've all had purple patches followed by gloom and doom.

Inevitably, because we're fan owned and there's always going to be massive differences of opinions, the bitching started, some very nasty rumours did the rounds and blame was being thrown left right and centre. With a smaller professional owner, such as an individual businessman, most of that would be kept in-house and we'd never know the half of it. We're very much in a boom-bust business but even at that there's still sweet f to be made even in the boom times. I would confidently say that no-one has ever made money from owning a LoI club. The more successful you are, the more you spend. If the success stops then so does the income but, as happened with us, the wage bill was still there. We're not the first club to try to lead the way with professionalism but ultimately it cost us, just the same as it has cost every other club over the years. Until we reach a stage where our players at transferred at English and European price levels then all clubs here are going to be living on a knife edge.

Where do you stand on accountability and that former BOM members informed us we had no debts when in fact they had sizable debts that the current board have to resolve?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭snotboogie

More money was made available and we did worse. There were clear issues with Caulfield, even in the season where we won the title serious cracks were blatantly evident as soon as Maguire left. Yet he was entrusted with a huge budget and effectively ran the club into the ground. You didn't need to be a footballing savant to see the problems even when things were going well. The BOM were not brave enough to withhold funds and take a step back with Caulfield or ruthless enough to bring someone else in.

I appreciate your reply, and make good points.

But the FORAS was set up for a reason

With the amount of European money (Even taking away money for hotels, flights) to where we are today it’s really not good look from outside.

To find ourself in this situation is missing the whole point of why this was set about to be Fan Owned.

We are on the brink and that’s truly unforgivable.

I appreciate your reply, and make good points.

But the FORAS was set up for a reason

With the amount of European money (Even taking away money for hotels, flights) to where we are today it’s really not good look from outside.

To find ourself in this situation is missing the whole point of why this was set about to be Fan Owned.

We are on the brink and that’s truly unforgivable.

We're in dire straits without doubt,my honest opinion for CCFC to not just survive but to compete for honours we need a different mindset to just being a fan owned club,
    to have any hope of doing so v rovers,Dundalk etc we need to get a businessman on board ,
    we could be where rovers are now as we got the offer before them,so I for one hope the Preston offer gets accepted, otherwise we could be relegated and out of football within 2 years

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭sensormatic

We're in dire straits without doubt,my honest opinion for CCFC to not just survive but to compete for honours we need a different mindset to just being a fan owned club,
    to have any hope of doing so v rovers,Dundalk etc we need to get a businessman on board ,
    we could be where rovers are now as we got the offer before them,so I for one hope the Preston offer gets accepted, otherwise we could be relegated and out of football within 2 years

The preston offer is off the table due to the issues we have today and the loan players are gone home staff will be on the dole lets hope within 6 months all will be good and we can get back to playing some football with some home grown players who will want to play for the club put their hearts into football results,,,,

• Advertisement

The preston offer is off the table due to the issues we have today and the loan players are gone home staff will be on the dole lets hope within 6 months all will be good and we can get back to playing some football with some home grown players who will want to play for the club put their hearts into football results,,,,

Home grown is all well and good but to be blunt and honest ,we need investment otherwise relegation and the possibility of us evaporating,
    ideally the Foras model is good but down to brass tacks it's clearly not working,
    not dismissal of Declan Carey and other board members at all but any business needs investment and a professional model( saw this at first hand in a Romanian charity I was involved with for 10/ 12 years,we we normal ppl ran out if ideas for fundraising etc and nearly folded) business men came in and transformed the whole set up,not easy on the palate but it was sink or swim, ATM we are sinking

• Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭bot43

The preston offer is off the table due to the issues we have today and the loan players are gone

Why are you making up lies?

bot43 wrote: »
    Why are you making up lies?[/quot

Why are you making up lies?[/quot

Me? Lads we all have different ideas but the same goal,seeing our club back where it belongs - at the top table,not hanging around for the scraps

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 8,573 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wilberto

Me? Lads we all have different ideas but the same goal,seeing our club back where it belongs - at the top table,not hanging around for the scraps

No, bot43 was replying to sensormatic.

Wilberto wrote: »
    No, bot43 was replying to sensormatic.

Sorry, between age glasses and passion for CCFC I'm all in a fuddle- only good thing about e everything is at least we're not dropping any points

Not paying staff and players from next week

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭Moghead

Not paying staff and players from next week

That's a shame but was inevitable. Can see more clubs doing the same, some might get by paying reduced wages.

Moghead wrote: »
    That's a shame but was inevitable. Can see more clubs doing the same, some might get by paying reduced wages.

That's hard on all concerned,when we get back we need full house's

It’s awful. Gutted

• Advertisement

As a club we live hand to mouth. Foras subs are pretty negligible and I’d imagine all season ticket is long spent as well.

This was completely unavoidable.

As a club we live hand to mouth. Foras subs are pretty negligible and I’d imagine all season ticket is long spent as well.

This was completely unavoidable.

what lies bot???????

what lies bot???????

The Preston deal being off the table.

The Preston deal being off the table.

It is simple as all football deals are for off,,,,, it iS off the table not dead as of yet but off the table no deal will be done until we and england are back playing football , #Truth

• Registered Users Posts: 2,605 ✭✭✭Cape Clear

It is simple as all football deals are for off,,,,, it iS off the table not dead as of yet but off the table no deal will be done until we and england are back playing football , #Truth

So you're just speculating!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭Paz-CCFC

City and Sligo running a joint "virtual match" Saturday week, 16 May, when the sides were meant to play one another in the league.

The match will be played on FIFA and broadcast on Youtube, with Adrian Eames doing live commentary, Alan Cawley providing analysis and Tony O'Donoghue giving updates in the build-up to the game.

Tickets are €10 and can be bought here.

Looks like a great initiative between the two clubs and it's great that the RTÉ lads are getting involved to help bring the matchday experience. Hopefully it'll help raise a few bob.

• Registered Users Posts: 659 ✭✭✭yenom

Paz-CCFC wrote: »
    City and Sligo running a joint "virtual match" Saturday week, 16 May, when the sides were meant to play one another in the league.

The match will be played on FIFA and broadcast on Youtube, with Adrian Eames doing live commentary, Alan Cawley providing analysis and Tony O'Donoghue giving updates in the build-up to the game.

Tickets are €10 and can be bought here.

Looks like a great initiative between the two clubs and it's great that the RTÉ lads are getting involved to help bring the matchday experience. Hopefully it'll help raise a few bob.

Who is controlling?

yenom wrote: »
    Who is controlling?

Each club kerps the money from its own ticket sales. So if you buy your ticket from ccfc, that’s ours.

Presume “presenters” gets a consideration as well as a set up cost too. But seems to be a good idea with minimal over head.

Just be interesting to see how Alan Cawley shows his hatred to all things ccfc on this medium.

Each club kerps the money from its own ticket sales. So if you buy your ticket from ccfc, that’s ours.

Presume “presenters” gets a consideration as well as a set up cost too. But seems to be a good idea with minimal over head.

Just be interesting to see how Alan Cawley shows his hatred to all things ccfc on this medium.

Yeah he's fairly biased the back bollox

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭Level 42

story abt waterford emailing players staff saying they wont be paying them anymore -people moaning giving out abt it

my take is fair play to them for paying them last few weeks

Advertisement