Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A/R TT....Round 2 - 1 mile TT, Saturday May 30th *** please read post #1 ***

• 03-05-2020 8:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭

Swashbuckler and myself will give B a very well deserved rest after his heroics in organising the great 5k TT we had. There seemed to be quite a bit of interest in having a followup event or two. It seemed that opinions were divided on what the next distance should be so we have set up this poll to decide the matter without 20 pages of back and forth discussion.

As before we'll try to compile overall results, age category results and an age graded result. Any help with correcting tables as we go along will be greatly appreciated.

The date of the TT will be dependent on the chosen distance.

The poll closes in 4 days from Sunday morning. One vote per person.

Attention: Please do not update the table. Post any changes you would like made or new entries as a post in the thread. We will update the table every few days. Thanks.

Event: One Mile TT

Date: Saturday 30th of May....any time of the morning, noon or night that suits you. If you're from the AMK school of toughness you might even do 2 or 3. pacman.gif

Course: Wherever you want it to be! 2 simple rules (because I know B would be upset if I went all soft) are that there are no multiple loop courses or net downhill miles going to be included in results. biggrin.png

Entry Fee: Absolutely free!! If anyone feels like making good use of a virtual entry fee we would be delighted if you threw a few bob in this direction. https://www.darknessintolight.ie/sunrise-appeal

AOB: Link to the Strava group....https://www.strava.com/clubs/652032

If you join the Strava group could you post on it and mention your Boards username.

When putting your details into the table here would you mind putting in your actual age rather than age category. It's the only way we can work out age grading for the mile.

Thanks for taking part. It's brilliant to see so many new faces as well as many returning ones....smile.pngsmile.png
    user_online.pngreport.gif

Which distance should the next TT be? 94 votes

1 Mile
    57% 54 votes
    22% 21 votes
    5k (again)
    5% 5 votes
    4 Miles
    7% 7 votes
    5 Miles
    1% 1 vote
    6% 6 votes

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,175 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Senior moment? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

Senior moment? :pac:

Obviously no Ovaltine last night B!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

I never thought the day would come when, given the choice of several different distances, I'd opt for the shortest one on offer.

Strange times indeed!

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭Hedgehoggy

skyblue46 wrote: »
    Swashbuckler and myself will give B a very well deserved rest after his heroics in organising the great 5k TT we had. There seemed to be quite a bit of interest in having a followup event or two. It seemed that opinions were divided on what the next distance should be so we have set up this poll to decide the matter without 20 pages of back and forth discussion.

As before we'll try to compile overall results, age category results and an age graded result. Any help with correcting tables as we go along will be greatly appreciated.

The date of the TT will be dependent on the chosen distance.

The poll closes in 4 days from Sunday morning. One vote per person.

Brilliant! Thanks SB + SB!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭scotindublin

Great stuff lads. Hope to get involved this time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭sdevine89

Brilliant, really hope to get involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭Lambay island

Fair play.. if one were to have a fat finger moment and pick the incorrect option, could one alter it? Asking for a friend

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

Fair play.. if one were to have a fat finger moment and pick the incorrect option, could one alter it? Asking for a friend

There's always one! :pac:

No,there is no way to change the poll once it has been set up. I was going to say sadly but it would probably result in loads of people flipflopping. :D Your friend will just have to learn from their fat finger moment. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭MY BAD

I'd run a mile TT.

Maybe then a week later do another 5km TT I'd get people to run new 5k TT on the same route again. The position you finish will be the percentage of improvement you make. Because some 5ks were flat, some down hill, some up hill. It will make it fair that way. Run another mile TT later again and have the winner on percentage improved too

• Registered Users Posts: 13,823 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Good stuff, lads.

Also: 10k! 10k! 10k! :pac:

• Advertisement

MY BAD wrote: »
    I'd run a mile TT.

Maybe then a week later do another 5km TT I'd get people to run new 5k TT on the same route again. The position you finish will be the percentage of improvement you make. Because some 5ks were flat, some down hill, some up hill. It will make it fair that way. Run another mile TT later again and have the winner on percentage improved too

Tell Johnny you want him to run the same route again! :pac:

Ah there are different ways to look at it S. Your way is very good in the spirit of a competition. At the same time it's only asking people to TT the same distances over and over again. Perhaps going out of the comfort zone and TTing rarely raced distances would be beneficial.

Let's just find out what distance the next one is. P and I will sort out some rules for that and then the next volunteers can consider future TTs ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

Fair play guys! I'm not voting though as I'm still banjaxed after the last one!!! Will see what wins the popular vote and then decide whether to take part or not :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

No 400m or 800m option? That would have been a genuine bit of craic.

Plenty of 1 and 2 mile TTs available already through the club series, so a possibility to double up I suppose if that's what the decision is. Anything more than 5k is too much for a TT I think. 4 miles - WTF? :pac:

Thanks for organising and I'll be delighted to participate in whatever emerges.

Murph_D wrote: »
    No 400m or 800m option? That would have been a genuine bit of craic.

Plenty of 1 and 2 mile TTs available already through the club series, so a possibility to double up I suppose if that's what the decision is. Anything more than 5k is too much for a TT I think. 4 miles - WTF? :pac:

Thanks for organising and I'll be delighted to participate in whatever emerges.

Sorry D, we figured that without a track it would not be right to depend on GPS for the 400 or 800 distance.

4 miles is a bit of a throwback to Imperial times...a little bit of variety.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

Yeah same here. I love the odd distances. One of my favourite races from last year was a 4M

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Sorry D, we figured that without a track it would not be right to depend on GPS for the 400 or 800 distance.

4 miles is a bit of a throwback to Imperial times...a little bit of variety.

Could get around GPS by insisting on straight line, no turns. Close enough. Maybe another time.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,011 ✭✭✭Itziger

Eh fellers, when would this be taking place?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

Great stuff lads -
    #bringbackthemile

Itziger wrote:

When's your birthday?

Well folks, due to the high volume of voting already done we are going to make a decision on the TT distance at midday tomorrow as there cannot be many people left to vote. If you haven't already done so, get it done. We really need to move very quickly to get this TT done before Itziger's birthday!! :D

• Advertisement

Itziger wrote: »

I still see your question has gone unanswered, the man who ran the previous TT thread wouldn’t have let such a thing happen........... poor form..........

• Registered Users Posts: 4,011 ✭✭✭Itziger

Ok, lads Breaking fecking News here. Now, before I share it with ye, let me just say I have no skin in this game. It's all about fairness and transparency with me. The two SBs running this thing have spread a rumour that I have a birthday this year. Now, normally as stated above I'd be all for openness and that but unfortunately, I am not in a position to confirm or deny the rumour as I type, for reasons that I can't share with the online community.

Ok, so that's that cleared up. Back to the stunning news. I was up almost all night in a Xoom Conference with Daniel Jacks, yes THAT DJ, only the most renowned running coach in American History since Abe Lincoln pulled his hamstring and had to drop out of the 1874 Olympics in Cork, Ireland.

Where was I? Oh, yeah, so I said I'd run yer little dilemma past Dan. Dan, says I (First Name terms, m8s) what would an adapted and slightly shortened plan look like for a few slow lads in Dublin, Ireland looking to run a Mile this Summer? So he got number crunching and came up with the following.

Phase 1: Week starting May 11th to May 24th: No running at all, at all. Bit a swimmn' and cycling to get the muscles turning over but without stressing the joints. Ease into it. (Bangin' advice I think we can all agree)
    Phase 2: Endurance. Week Starting May 25th to June 3rd (we agreed we'd look up what day of the week that falls on later) Here, Dan advises a langer-load of Long Runs and dead weight-lifting. Starting on the Monday with a 16 miler at M pace and basically just repeating that adding a mile a day and speeding up a bit - he's scientific a.f. is Dan - everyday.

Phase 3: Weekday Starting June 4th to June 11th. Speed. Hill sprints (up for most, down for the fellas with no shame). Five days out 40x200mts at 1 mile target pace to get the fibres and mitochondria used to this $hit. Brain won't know what hit it; then again neither will any other part of the body. At this stage you'll be rarin' to go but you have to put a cap on the enthusiasm, especially young lads like meself and Speedy, KC and Freckles. So now you just keep her ticking over till the red blood cells and the white blood cells get their game in order and the natural epo is synthesized mainly by interstitial cells in the peritubular capillary bed of the renal cortex, with additional amounts being produced in the liver, and the pericytes in the brain. What?

RACE DAY: You're prepared to race. You're rested. You've got the endurance and the speed done. Nothing can stop you now. I'm talking rakes of sub 4's and what not. But, according to Dan, the timing is everything......... He finished up, just before we were cut off by Xoom Premium, by saying - and I quote - Whatever you do in Ireland......... Do not run the goddamn race before June 12th. Mr Jack's words, not mine. Like I said, no skin in this game.

Very true B...so for now the best we can do is confirm that it will be before 12/06/20. Full details to follow this afternoon:D

Ok people. We're calling this early. The vote has been pretty much a landslide. It'll be a One Mile TT :D

Votes were as follows:

One Mile: 48
    3k: 8
    5k: 10
    4 mile: 3
    5 mile: 6
    10k: 9

The TT is to be done on Saturday 30th May.

Course options are strictly to be Out and Back or a mile loop. No smaller loops allowed. A straight mile is ok if there is no net elevation loss. If you need to do either a small bit more or less than a loop to complete the mile there cannot be net elevation loss.

Swashbuckler has set up a Boards 1M TT Strava group. Please join this and DM either of us with your name so that we can connect names to usernames.

We will start a table as soon as the entries build. Please include a predicted time as well :P

Now get out there and brush up on those speed sessions!!

Any link to Strava group available, last lad done that!!!

Keeping us on our toes B.......haha

https://www.strava.com/clubs/652032

Ok people. We're calling this early. The vote has been pretty much a landslide. It'll be a One Mile TT :D

Votes were as follows:

One Mile: 48
    3k: 8
    5k: 10
    4 mile: 3
    5 mile: 6
    10k: 9

The TT is to be done on Saturday 30th May.

Course options are strictly to be Out and Back or a mile loop. No smaller loops allowed. A straight mile is ok if there is no net elevation loss. If you need to do either a small bit more or less than a loop to complete the mile there cannot be net elevation loss.

Swashbuckler has set up a Boards 1M TT Strava group. Please join this and DM either of us with your name so that we can connect names to usernames.

We will start a table as soon as the entries build. Please include a predicted time as well :P

Now get out there and brush up on those speed sessions!!

I suggest using the Strava group I set up, I can change the title and assign yourself and P admins?

OOnegative wrote: »
    I suggest using the Strava group I set up, I can change the title and assign yourself and P admins?

Ignore.

Just a sidenote, AMK is allowed as many attempts as he likes and we'll pick the best one. Healy's sub four minute mile on his Lidl loop doesnt count..............

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Well feck ye anyway.. had zero plans for speedwork :cool:

Advertisement