Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Surprising shortages

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,936 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

BanditLuke wrote: »
    Does anyone know why people are buying chest freezers? We produce more meat here in Ireland per population then anywhere else on the planet so we aren't going to run out. Bizarre some of the stuff that people do.

Possible explanation - doing one shop \ delivery \ click collect every 1-2 weeks.
    Not enough capacity in normal fridge.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭Pretzill

BanditLuke wrote: »
    Does anyone know why people are buying chest freezers? We produce more meat here in Ireland per population then anywhere else on the planet so we aren't going to run out. Bizarre some of the stuff that people do.

I have a small chest freezer - even before quarantine I only do a big shop every couple of weeks, I always freeze fresh fish (keeps better) and chicken - food prep too and it's just really handy for the winter months especially - I suppose people might be looking for them now it self isolate a bit more ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• Closed Accounts Posts: 921 ✭✭✭na1

• Registered Users Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

na1 wrote: »
    I believe you can buy a decent "entry-level" bike for 250 euro in most of the EU.

You can buy a bike for that price, but it'll be a long way from being decent.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭Gone Drinking

Hurrache wrote: »
    You can buy a bike for that price, but it'll be a long way from being decent.

What's decent is relative to the person who's buying and their use case. I like expensive watches, but I wouldn't tell someone their 250 watch is a long way off being decent.

I hate snobbery for the sake of snobbery..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭s7ryf3925pivug

Crocs are in high demand apparently, though not aware of actual shortages.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

I wasn't able to get turnocks chocolate wafers or tesco plain cheese thin based pizza

The Tunnock's factory has closed for the duration.
    I acquired the last box of these in my local supermarket. I still have half a box left, I'll sell them to the highest bidder
    5010975030020_3.JPG

I haven't been able to get my hands on strong flour at all.

Anyone know anywhere that stocks it in South Dublin?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,407 ✭✭✭TheChizler

The Tunnock's factory has closed for the duration.
    I acquired the last box of these in my local supermarket. I still have half a box left, I'll sell them to the highest bidder
    5010975030020_3.JPG

Plenty in my local Aldi but they seem to be a bad batch, flat out rejected by the OH. Biscuit gone stale. Hard times

• Registered Users Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

What's decent is relative to the person who's buying and their use case. I like expensive watches, but I wouldn't tell someone their 250 watch is a long way off being decent.

I hate snobbery for the sake of snobbery..

They're not a bit comparable or relative.

€250 wouldn't get you a decent bike, it has nothing to do if you're a bike snob or not.

€250 will get you a very decent watch, and again nothing to do if you're a watch snob or not.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

I haven't been able to get bell peppers for a fortnight now. I use bell peppers in nearly every dinner :(

Also Birds Eye Country Mix or any other similar product. And hair dye.

My local shop keeps running out of Diet Coke.

Many individual Quorn products are in very short supply, but that has been the case for over a year now.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,553 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Broccoli.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭Salty

My Nanny uses wheat bran to bake bread and it has not been available in any supermarkets close to her for the last few weeks. She is cocooning, and neighbours and friends were looking everywhere to no avail. I managed to find some online in the end from an Irish health food store - it was hard work though!

We're in different counties so I can't go around shops and drop things off for her unfortunately :( Don't know what we would do without the wonders of the internet and online shopping!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,014 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

For some reason, kitchen roll is really hard to get of late.
    It started off with toilet paper but that seems plentiful now but of late the kitchen roll is a valuable commodity.

To thine own self be true

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭Xertz

There’s no shortage of flour. What’s happened is that there’s been a run on and now a shortage of retail size bags of flour.

In normal times home banking is a hobby / niche thing but due to the current circumstances people are gone mad baking everything out of boredom and others are buying flour “just in case” and probably won’t use it.

The net result is that the brands of flour aimed at home baking ran out. There’s still tons of milled flour around and no shortage but the supermarkets were finding it hard to get the usual brands or the small sizes suitable for home use.

You’ll probably see a lot of own brand / catering company brands in places like SuperValu where they’ve gone outside their normal supply chains to source them, or the giant sacks of Odlums or similar, as seen above which are aimed at commercial small bakers.

The companies that usually supply it just need to bag more of it. There’s no shortage of the actual product.

If you’re looking for specific items that are going out of stock occasionally in the likes of Tesco, SuperValu is definitely where to try, especially the bigger stores. They’re mostly independently owned and they can have some very innovative owners who will bend over backwards to find supplies, whereas some of the multiples have no autonomy at local level at all and can take a while to respond.

That’s why you’re seeing a lot more innovative buying at SV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭Xertz

The odd ones I’ve noticed ran out but mostly came back:

1. Kitchen roll. Finding that is appearing and disappearing whatever’s going on. Wonder if the manufacturers switched production to toilet paper to deal with the panic buying?

2. Tinned tomatoes. On a few occasions that shelf has been empty but then restocked a few days later.

3. Pasta - seeing way more continental stock in some of my local supermarkets here which has ended the problem.

4. Certain household cleansers, especially anything antibacterial (some of which is fairly useless against Coronavirus anyway). My local SuperValu seems to be stocking a lot of professional cleaner products instead and also continental stock.

Also things like dishwasher tablets became weird for a few weeks. You could still get them, but often just one brand. Then they came back in plentiful supply again, so I’m assuming whatever was stuck was unstuck again or they shifted a supply chain away from the U.K.

Also you simply cannot buy things like disposable gloves. Anything like that I’ve bought on Amazon, with very careful checking of reviews first.

Hand sanitiser gel is still very hard to get other than from odd suppliers like small fancy soap companies.

I think the issues are probably being driven by panic buying in Britain. It would explain why the continental stock is appearing where I shop anyway.

You also have to remember Irish retailers have contingencies in place for dealing with a possible hard Brexit, so continental supply chains were likely already identified last year.

In general I found the stock levels were worse a few weeks ago. Things seem to be caught up again, certainly at my local supermarket anyway. I haven’t had any specific issues other than for anything resembling PPE type material.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

Keep your empty hand wash bottles with the pumps

This is what I'm finding lately

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭littlesthobo

Salty wrote: »
    My Nanny uses wheat bran to bake bread and it has not been available in any supermarkets close to her for the last few weeks. She is cocooning, and neighbours and friends were looking everywhere to no avail. I managed to find some online in the end from an Irish health food store - it was hard work though!

We're in different counties so I can't go around shops and drop things off for her unfortunately :( Don't know what we would do without the wonders of the internet and online shopping!

Holland and barrett seem to have some online, but bran very scarce lately. Theres such a shortage of wholemeal flour for retail, people are buying more bran to mix with plain flour.

I work with a company that supplies bran and wheatgerm and I could easily sell multiples what I normally would, I just cant get enough supply.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭s7ryf3925pivug

Could do up some nice ersatz loaves with a bit of grated cardboard.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭Salty

Holland and barrett seem to have some online, but bran very scarce lately. Theres such a shortage of wholemeal flour for retail, people are buying more bran to mix with plain flour.

I work with a company that supplies bran and wheatgerm and I could easily sell multiples what I normally would, I just cant get enough supply.

Holland and Barrett were out of stock at the time. There has been such a demand! To be honest, I was happy to give my custom to an Irish company in the end and the delivery was very quick. Nanny is happy out baking a bit of brown bread again!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭Sam Hain

Unexpected birthday parties for dwarves.

Xertz wrote: »

Also you simply cannot buy things like disposable gloves. Anything like that I’ve bought on Amazon, with very careful checking of reviews first.

Hand sanitiser gel is still very hard to get other than from odd suppliers like small fancy soap companies.

My local SuperValu have boxes of disposable gloves and cartons of hand sanitiser for sale- it's obviously where you shop rather than an actual shortage.

ronoc wrote: »
    I haven't been able to get my hands on strong flour at all.

Anyone know anywhere that stocks it in South Dublin?

I would have said Mortons in Ranelagh or Fallon & Byrne Exchequer st - if you're not too far from either give them a call first and check.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,761 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Hurrache wrote: »
    They're not a bit comparable or relative.

€250 wouldn't get you a decent bike, it has nothing to do if you're a bike snob or not.

€250 will get you a very decent watch, and again nothing to do if you're a watch snob or not.

I'm not a Tour De France wannabe and when I lock it up I want to have something to get back to. No sense buying a bike the price of a second hand car.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭VonLuck

Is anyone noticing a shortage of rice? Seeing nothing but microwave rice and none of the normal stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

No Pink Lady apples now. Peppers seem to be available again thankfully.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭SusanC10

This week no chickpeas, baking powder, basmati rice. Also still no strong white flour.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,988 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

VonLuck wrote: »
    Is anyone noticing a shortage of rice? Seeing nothing but microwave rice and none of the normal stuff.
    Sacks of rice at my local as well as the smaller 1kg bags.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭GinSoaked

SusanC10 wrote: »
    This week no chickpeas, baking powder, basmati rice. Also still no strong white flour.

Local Lidl had plenty of Basmati rice.

Nowhere had any Bertolli Olive Spread, although now I've looked into it and notice it can contain Palm Oil I might find a permanent alternative.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭happyday

GinSoaked wrote: »
    Local Lidl had plenty of Basmati rice.

Nowhere had any Bertolli Olive Spread, although now I've looked into it and notice it can contain Palm Oil I might find a permanent alternative.

I think Connaught Gold doesn't have palm oil. I try to avoid it too. It's in everything!

Advertisement