Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Surprising shortages

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭happyday

I've heard Poundland in the UK has some. Poundland is dealz here.

Thanks. I'll try Dealz tomorrow when I'm shopping - my once a week outing!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,335 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Flour, unless you hit the jackpot shortly after shelves are stocked most supermarkets around here have none. Someone earlier mentioned Tesco Ballybrack having it but anytime I've gone there the shelves are bare, still. Herself uses it a lot for making noodles and other things so its sorely missed here.
    Does anyone know where to get the bigger bags/any bags in the Dun Laoghaire borough area?

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 17,849 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

if flour someone had posted a link way back for Ballymore Organics, I assume they deliver

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭sabat

Patê, strawberry crisp cereal in lidl, smokes

• Registered Users Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭Sam Hain

jrosen wrote: »
    Flour which has been said, yeast was another. Still have not been able to get any flour other than SR.

red peppers
    pink lady apples
    new potatoes
    corn on the cob
    mince
    tesco own brand cereal and brown bread
    eggs
    wraps
    frozen fish
    frozen butternut squash
    biscuits

These would be the things that I would buy regularly and have found them not available or in short supply. The biscuit isle in my tesco has been ransacked since this all started.

That's a most bizarre list as the majority of those items, I have seen well stocked in the local Tesco, but I cannot confirm the supply status not stock levels locally on frozen butternut squash.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭s7ryf3925pivug

Sam Hain wrote: »
    That's a most bizarre list as the majority of those items, I have seen well stocked in the local Tesco, but I cannot confirm the supply status not stock levels locally on frozen butternut squash.
    Yeah same here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭jrosen

Sam Hain wrote: »

I know.
    Did my food shop yesterday, no peppers, no PL apples, no corn. The tesco wheaten bread has been out of stock for about a month

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭Plasmoid

Supercell wrote: »
    Flour, unless you hit the jackpot shortly after shelves are stocked most supermarkets around here have none. Someone earlier mentioned Tesco Ballybrack having it but anytime I've gone there the shelves are bare, still. Herself uses it a lot for making noodles and other things so its sorely missed here.
    Does anyone know where to get the bigger bags/any bags in the Dun Laoghaire borough area?

Try Pallas.ie

I'd use them, nearest collection point is Stillorgan so that might be questionable shopping trip, but luckily near me in Greystones I've managed to get plenty of Plain and Strong white flour through a combination of Supervalu and Tesco... with luck on the timing of course.

Can't find Rye flour at the moment, and Pallas are only doing 25kg bags. Anyone want 24kg of Rye flour :p

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭greenttc

Plasmoid wrote: »
    Try Pallas.ie

I'd use them, nearest collection point is Stillorgan so that might be questionable shopping trip, but luckily near me in Greystones I've managed to get plenty of Plain and Strong white flour through a combination of Supervalu and Tesco... with luck on the timing of course.

Can't find Rye flour at the moment, and Pallas are only doing 25kg bags. Anyone want 24kg of Rye flour :p

they only have 25kg bags in stock, today anyway.

edit: sorry only half read your post you said it was 25kg! they did have mutiples of the smaller packs (so you could have divided among family or neighbours etc but they are gone as far as i can see.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,434 ✭✭✭✭Alun

silverharp wrote: »
    if flour someone had posted a link way back for Ballymore Organics, I assume they deliver
    I ordered some from there nearly 3 weeks ago, no sign of it yet. They've effectively closed their online shop for the time being, only semolina available now.

EDIT: Just heard back that my order should be with me in a few days, so happy out :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,130 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

I was surprised that just 4% of flour is packed for retail sale.

That is causing the shortage.

Geuze wrote: »
    I was surprised that just 4% of flour is packed for retail sale.

That is causing the shortage.
    Yes, there is no shortage of flour per se, just capacity in the factories packaging it in small quantities for retail.

BTW I saw plenty of dried yeast in my local Lidl the past two times I was in there. Small green striped packets on the shelf above where the flour is, or should be :D

• Registered Users Posts: 32,215 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

happyday wrote: »
    Thanks. I'll try Dealz tomorrow when I'm shopping - my once a week outing!
    I got elastic off amazon took about 4/5 days to arrive

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Pbbuster

Brillo pads, hair colours and home waxing strips

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Alun wrote: »
    Yes, there is no shortage of flour per se, just capacity in the factories packaging it in small quantities for retail.

BTW I saw plenty of dried yeast in my local Lidl the past two times I was in there. Small green striped packets on the shelf above where the flour is, or should be :D

Theres a lot of wholesalers who usually sell 25kg packs to restaurants trying to figure out how to get their stockpiles out into the market.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

Theres a lot of wholesalers who usually sell 25kg packs to restaurants trying to figure out how to get their stockpiles out into the market.

I remember my granny buying flour in a shop (which was old fashioned even in those days) where the shopkeeper had a giant bag of flour, and you said how much you wanted. He weighed out what you wanted into a paper bag on a brass scales with little brass (coloured) weights. Used buy sweets from a big jar the same way.

Probably wouldn't meet health standards these days.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭Scarinae

I haven't been able to get flour for a few weeks now. We picked up a bag of almond flour though so I'm going to try making something with it this weekend, I have no experience with it so it should be interesting.

Scarinae wrote: »
    I haven't been able to get flour for a few weeks now.
    Try your local Polish shop if you have one, I found some there when none of the local supermarkets had anything at all. Good places for yeast too.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭sunshinew

Chorizo is one I couldn't find on my last couple of shops. They had the pre-sliced but not the sausages or diced. Wondering if it's the Spanish/Italian supply chain.
    Chickpeas
    Cumin
    A certain type of cat food my mum's cat will only eat was dangerously out of stock for a long time but seems to be back on track. The cat will live!
    Hair dye
    Certain brands of pale coloured make up foundation are running low.
    Local newsagent hasn't had marlboro lights for weeks now. Would love to quit but my anxiety is through the roof so I'm smoking more than ever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 921 ✭✭✭na1

many of which are entry-level models costing $700 to $1,200.
    :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,127 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

No flour where I am either but there's plenty of bread on the shelves. All that flour that people panic bought is no doubt sitting in pantries not being used.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭joficeduns1

Chickpea crisis averted. Plenty of them in Lidl where I am.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,372 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

most of the flour used in Ireland is also imported

• Registered Users Posts: 4,372 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

health food stores will often have organic flour

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭Pretzill

alias no.9 wrote: »
    Did somebody say flour...

510511.jpg

That's two different types of plain flour in quite a large quantity grand for pastry or biscuits but it's all purpose self raising and strong flour that seems to be missing everytime I shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭BanditLuke

Does anyone know why people are buying chest freezers? We produce more meat here in Ireland per population then anywhere else on the planet so we aren't going to run out. Bizarre some of the stuff that people do.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭LoughNeagh2017

I wasn't able to get turnocks chocolate wafers or tesco plain cheese thin based pizza

I wasn't able to get turnocks chocolate wafers or tesco plain cheese thin based pizza

• Advertisement

Advertisement