Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2020 Yearly Goals

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭rushfan

Not too bad so far, had planned on using the bike to get to & from work a lot more this year irrespective of the "C" word, and I'm doing just that. Around 730km for April which would have been one of my best months ever. Hoping to break the 5,000km ceiling this year so here's hoping.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,958 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

My last leisure ride was on March 12th and every ride since has been a commute. Probably about 1,500k behind where I hoped to be at this stage but managed to pass the 5,000k mark this morning so I suppose I can't complain.

EDIT: The Veloviewer figure below includes walks, hence it's a bit higher.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,446 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

you've been blessed with the weather for your commutes anyway.

you've been blessed with the weather for your commutes anyway.
    Yes, it's been great. I've commuted for 36 consecutive days now (72 rides) and only 2 have been in the wet. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,211 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

Mine are:

4000km overall (up from 2200km - poor first half of the year, travel and late nights at work, and a short commute mean that reaching this will involve getting out for my usual 80k or so almost every weekend)

More midweek evening summer spins (up from 0 last year, no real idea why I had so few)

1000km around town and casual rides mainly on my new Brompton

Metric century and possibly 200km in one go (from 110km longest to date)

More sportives and one of Flanders or Liege

1000km in Ireland including two 100km+ sportives (work abroad so not as easy as it sounds - only managed Tour de Kilkenny this year)

Finally, aiming for significant spend on bikes or gear beyond a bike fit, servicing and some new club kit (have chopped and changed bikes on a yearly basis for the last 3 or 4 years for no real reason other than messing around).

If I make all of the above I'm planning to buy a new Di2 disc bike
    End of summer and I'm ahead of target for the overall 4000km in spite of the lack of commutes for the last six months. I should make the 4000. Haven't missed a Sunday club ride aside from holidays since my club went back in May (covid-proofed), and have made it over 300km in every month aside from February (miserable weather and a few ilnesses).

The midweek summer spins wasn't great due to a new job and long hours, probably did three or four.

The 1000km on a Brompton will be easily met.

The 1000km in Ireland and a few sportives looks like one to keep for next year.

Not spending money was a complete failure but will be added again next year and failed again most likely. I do like my new bike though.

Will try to do a 150km ride but shorter days makes this not a certainty. Probably could have planned that better on a long weekend over summer tbh

New target is to get to 4500km by 20 December or so, and see if I can break the 5000km by doing the Festive 500. Will depend on covid, travel and to be honest weather too.

How are people doing?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,233 ✭✭✭secman

secman wrote: »
    Having achieved the 10,000 km + a bit last year, had an original target of 8,500km ,

targets are:

1. 10,000 km... need a bit of luck with back issues
    2. Gran fondo for each month
    3. Reach my 63rd birthday :)
    4. Get a few 30kph avg spins in

Sin é

Well considering back issues early in the year, covid19 lockdown -the targets have been challenging but not ridiculously off the pace at all.
    1. Realistically 8,500 km, currently on 6,000 km
    2. Getting the 100km + rides in the latter months since lockdown was ended.
    3. Reached 63 last week thank God :)
    4. Actually got a 33kph avg and 32.8 kph on club spins :)

All things considered... happy out.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,288 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Macy0161 wrote: »
    Mainly process goals for me, and a focus on Gravel.
    • Stick to the TrainerRoad Plan, hitting at least the 3 key workouts a week and taking rest days.
    • Nutrition - Fuel my workouts/ spins, recovery, and continue to tweak my overall diet. Mainly to include more carbs, and less empty/ poor calories.
    • Sleep - Give myself a chance of 8 hours a night.
    • My A Events - Dirty Reiver 200km (make cut off’s, and complete), Lakelander Gravel Grinder (to beat last years time). There will be other, but these are my target events that my TrainerRoad plan is built around. Others on the calendar already are the Dying Cow, Reservoir Dog, Midland 300, Long Heron, The 3G's gravel grinder.

Yearly km targets aren't really on my radar, with the inevitable slower pace of gravel spins, whilst my actual outside riding window will be the same! I still plan to get my Gran Fondo badge per month though.
    Macy0161 wrote: »
    • Mostly yes. Swapped a few workouts for Zwift classics workouts, trip up the Alpe last week instead of a threshold workout. But happy I have.
    • Nutrition was going well, slipped during the first few weeks of lockdown, getting back on track now. Plan was adjusted using TR Plan Builder, back in Base phase, so haven't been fuelling. Will pick that up when back in build.
    • Sleep - struggled during lockdown - work has been pretty stressful and eating too late (see nutrition). Getting back on track.
    • Dirty Reiver re-scheduled for September. Didn't take the refund, and that's what I have as my "A" event in plan builder.

April was my first fondo badge of the year! Stuck to Gravel right up to lockdown. Quite enjoying my weekend zwifting. Uber Pretzel on Sunday hopefully, with Zwift Team Ireland!
    1. Most consistent I've been, and seeing the improvements. Doing the Key workouts during the week, and then been getting out on a faster club spin, and surviving.
    2. Nutrition - ok, most of the week. Probably more weekend slippage than I'd like.
    3. Sleep - Been hard, but routines kicking back in now with Schools back
    4. Dirty Reiver Cancelled - took the refund as hard to see things improved that much by April.
      Lakelander is still on, as is the Grass Routes Gran Fondo, which are my two remaining entries.
    Still on the fence whether I'll travel to either, more inclined for the smaller Grass Route, as it was always a small event, not split in 4 start times half an hour apart.
    Sports Events not cancelled v NEPHT advice to minimise social interactions is something I'm struggling with as someone in the family pod that's vulnerable to be honest. Not looking for advice or opinions, something I have to make the call myself!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,121 ✭✭✭daragh_

daragh_ wrote: »
    Win something.

Vets being cancelled meant that racing has been a washout for me this year. Only managed two 'real' races this year. Both in Corkagh Park. Got dropped both times! Nothing in the legs at all. :P Thought about doing some open racing but I'm too cheap to take out a full-comp license.

Loads of Zwift Races early in lock-down. Mixed bag with a few upgrades. Took a break and got a new Power Meter to train to. Slowly getting some form back and I'll be trying to do at least one Zwift race a week for the rest of September before I go back to TrainerRoad for the Autumn/Winter.

Distance wise I don't think I'll crack 10,000km for the year which is my usual target.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,204 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

godtabh wrote: »
    I had goals of doing c. 8000km this year. At about 3000 km. I'd say 90% of that is on the turbo. Jan/Feb I was following a Zwift plan. Didnt want to commit to another one. Should have.

5800km of 8000km done. About 550km ahead of pace. Augusts was a poor month for me. Need motivation again so set a target of doing a 200km ride in Sept. We'll see.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,918 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

What are your goals for 2020?
    Me, I plan on hitting 10k kms. Probably won't make it but I need to have a target to keep me going. Managed 4k last year so it will be tough going.
    Have plans for a few events - booked into the ŠKODA Tour de Conamara and will sign up for a few more.
    Also plan on building up my hill climbing muscles.
    I reckon that tomorrow I'll hit 8000kms so far this year which I'm proud of but I think it is mainly thanks to the lockdown and working from home.
    Unfortunately, the lockdown has limited my access to hills so that is one area that I had hoped to improve on but I've not yet really done so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭triggermortis

I’m at almost 7500 of my 10000km target. Haven’t had time for many real long spins due to work or childminding commitments but doing little and often seems to be working.
    Happy enough with that

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭Heart Break Kid

Only really got cycling since start of February. Had a personal goal of getting up to Sally’s Gap, wasn’t actually as hard as I was expecting. Have done a few climbs around Glencree . Have 135kg on me which didn’t help but well chuffed.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,866 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

I'm at 5565 for the year. Could easily be more but odd work schedule since May is having an impact.

I did quite a bit on turbo during lockdown, got better at hills too as a result thanks to smart trainer and virtual cols, and lost 7-8 kg that I didn't expect.

On target for 7500 with 500 to spare .

Hoping to do one super long cycle, but also still hoping to get married this year so will probably stick to a turbo for a bit come October

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭rushfan

rushfan wrote: »
    Not too bad so far, had planned on using the bike to get to & from work a lot more this year irrespective of the "C" word, and I'm doing just that. Around 730km for April which would have been one of my best months ever. Hoping to break the 5,000km ceiling this year so here's hoping.

And just to update, today I broke the old glass ceiling of 5000km in a year with an 80km spin around NCD. Happy out with 3 plus months to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,218 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

07Lapierre wrote: »
    1:Annual Goal is 14,500 klm
    2: Compete in IVCA and hopefully earn a few points
    3: Complete the Amstel Goal Sportive without getting hypothermia!
    4: just heard about a club mate who was knocked off her bike from behind by a guy in a 4x4 SUV! 3 fractured vertebrae! And she’s still in hospital!, so my final goal is to stay alive while cycling on irish roads!

Just looking at the goals i'd set myself this year....Geez how optimistic was I? :)
    I'm about 1000k off my Annual target and after this morning's commute, even no 4 is looking dodgey!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,446 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i'm at about 3.5k, and if i make 5k i'll be surprised. the goal had been 8k, but i didn't get on the bike for about 6 weeks in jan/feb/march, and then the 2km and 5km lockdowns curtailed the distance i'd been hoping for.

• Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭mamax

I'm at 4456km and my target was 5000, so today new target set of 6500 :D

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,204 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

godtabh wrote: »
    5800km of 8000km done. About 550km ahead of pace. Augusts was a poor month for me. Need motivation again so set a target of doing a 200km ride in Sept. We'll see.

Picked last week to try the 200km ride. Conditions on Sunday were poor for me (mostly a head wind) and got to 147km and had enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭coddlesangers

This isn't much compared with the other stats here but I just ticked over 2000 km, which for me is twice what i usually do annually as no commutes and usually limited to 2 spins a week of a couple of hours. Also hit a little by 2 injuries. 30,000m of up in my 2k kms though, which i think is decent. Still have a 176km spin to do on the 11th Oct (tour du lac leman), doing it with a crew from work, and this year hoping from now to still get another 1000km in before the end of the year...which will involve kitting myself up a bit for cold/wet weather cycling which i've managed to avoid for the last few years. Most of the training i've done this year because i am permanently time limited, has been interval training and its made a massive difference to my climbing in particular.

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭lissard

lissard wrote: »
    1) Orwell Randonnee.
    2) Mick Byrne 200.
    3) Paddy Martin Randonnee.
    4) Resevoir Dog.
    5) 5 days of touring in the Italian alps: Stelvio, Mortirolo, Gavia etc.
    6) Try and hit 5000km (up from 4500km in 2019).

Well I think I'm on track to hit 5000km in the year. Joined a club in July and have to say that has really improved my motivation. Distance-wise I have yet to break 100k on a spin but to be honest I find I'm quite happy with a regular 90k on a Saturday. I feel no great urge to go out and kill myself on a big long ride. Now I'm done before lunch and there's plenty time for other family stuff on the weekend.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭redlead

Well I think I'm on track to hit 5000km in the year. Joined a club in July

Out of interest, how much did you find your natural average speed increased when you started cycling in groups or did you have to put in an effort to improve?

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭lissard

Well my goal for ages was to try and average 25k in Wicklow and to do that on my own has always been just out of reach. It's so much easier in a group - we always exceed 25k average. Drafting means you can freewheel a lot more so way less energy expenditure than when doing it on your own. It's not for nothing that bunches exist in cycling ;-). There are faster groups in the club and over time I will move up, but for now I'm comfortable where I am.

... Drafting means you can freewheel a lot more so way less energy expenditure than when doing it on your own. It's not for nothing that bunches exist in cycling ;-)....
    Apart from drafting, there's also a tendency to 'up' your game in a group whereas, when solo, there can be a tendency to ease off a bit as you're not going to drop off the back.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

1) Reach the 10k target again to make it five in a row.

2) Manage to do all the optional climbs on this year's Hospice Cycle in the Italian Alps (Monte Grappo, Stelvio, Gavia, Mortirolo & Madonna del Ghisallo)

3) Guide on Paris2Nice again and hopefully a few more trips

4) Cycle the Barrow in a day

5) The Orwell Randonee, MB200 (if it's on), the Causeway Coast, the Reservoir Dog (if I'm around)

All of the above are very dependant on whether or not I need an operation on my AC joint that is messed up from a crash last February. If I can't put it off till the autumn, I could be off the bike for four months :(

6) No more crashes, especially in February which seems to be my jinx month!

At about 7,400km so hopefully the 10k target is still on. Cycling the Barrow never happened due to a combination of wrong bike, wet weather and Covid restrictions. 2, 3 & 5 all cancelled but did the Dog route with WA and might yet do the Randonee route if restrictions are lifted. Managed to avoid surgery thanks to an excellent physio and avoided crashes so far anyway.

Highlights to date include the Mini-Evil and possibly my longest cycle ever last Wednesday around the Dublin border.

so, finished the year at 4,394.7 km, a little way off the 8k i'd been hoping for.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,918 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I managed over 11,000km exceeding my 10,000 target. Most of this was due to working from home allowing me the time to disappear for a few hours every other day.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,260 ✭✭✭koutoubia

As usual the aim was 10,000 kms. Got to 9800 and ran outof motivation.
    Got to the end of november and was thinking maybe 11,000 km can happpen then between the weather and other things I started to think I would struggle to get to 10.
    A couple of club spins got me to 9900 amd then dragged myself around 2 X 50 k local loops.
    So got there in the end.
    Now to have a good dig around and see if I can find that motivation to get on the rollers and do the main road criterium due to lock down.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,718 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Goal had been 5000K with 50k of climbing and have managed a bit over 5000k with 85k of climbing, not including any turbo stuff, so pleased enough with that. Very tough year for me and the cycling has really helped keep me sane, particularly the escapism provided by the middle of nowhere gravel and mud stuff and my first couple of forays into MTB.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,211 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

I'm on 3985/4000. Totally ran out of motivation in early December. Was on course for 4500 & was considering the Festive 500 too. But happy with it all considered, this year I've switched from rarely doing club rides to being there every week (lockdowns aside) so have gone off solo spins for some reason.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,233 ✭✭✭secman

secman wrote: »
    Well considering back issues early in the year, covid19 lockdown -the targets have been challenging but not ridiculously off the pace at all.
    1. Realistically 8,500 km, currently on 6,000 km
    2. Getting the 100km + rides in the latter months since lockdown was ended.
    3. Reached 63 last week thank God :)
    4. Actually got a 33kph avg and 32.8 kph on club spins :)

All things considered... happy out.

Finished on 8,700 km for the year , having missed almost 8 weeks off the bike, that equates to over 10,000 km so can't complain.
    Happy New Year to you all and safe riding for 2021

Advertisement